ADVERTISEMENT

Bamba

Well, If Bamba chose Duke, he'd end up getting more minutes than Bolden, I'd bet my damn house on that.

In your opinion with bolden do you feel something else was going on that kept him from playing as much? Not so much an injury but a learning curve or he wasn't going as hard as he was expected?

For me, it just seemed like Bolden was cruising on the court. There were times I saw him go "oh snap, I need to hustle!"

In your opinion with bolden do you feel something else was going on that kept him from playing as much? Not so much an injury but a learning curve or he wasn't going as hard as he was expected?
Injuries put him behind the curve. Coach K was raving about him in the preseason but he was injured for a while in the early season, which seems to have effected his conditioning. I think he will great next season.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Personally I think he got frustrated with playing time, not used to sitting, started sulking instead of working harder. Maybe he felt hopeless. Just my opinion. His ego took a hit. Hope he's really pissed to prove he's a gamer

Reactions: mbdfan and hpnole
Bolden was soft last year, and if he's seen the tape, he knows it. Half the battle is admitting you have weaknesses. The other half is acting to correct the problem. I'm confident Marques is doing both halves right now.

I think in time he will be a very good player but it doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure Jefferson taught him a thing or two and by his junior yr he could be talking lottery again. I don't think he has a yr that gets him drafted, but he needs to be productive. Carter is a stud but can't do it alone

The injury really put him behind.He went nearly six weeks with no physical activity which totally destroyed his conditioning.He not only lost his physical edge but also lost the opportunity to learn how to play at the collegiate level.From all reports he was dominating in preseason.Imo people who are doubting him will wind up with egg on their faces like they did when they were calling for Tatum to be benched

I think in time he will be a very good player but it doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure Jefferson taught him a thing or two and by his junior yr he could be talking lottery again. I don't think he has a yr that gets him drafted, but he needs to be productive. Carter is a stud but can't do it alone

I think he's poised to have a breakout year.Its his time to really step into the mix...Think how much a Marshall Plumlee developed, or a Brian Zoubek.

True it was a LONGER and more gradual development, but we're talking about QUITE A DIFFERENCE in NATURAL TALENT.He's a perfect complement to Carter!

OFC

I think he's poised to have a breakout year.Its his time to really step into the mix...Think how much a Marshall Plumlee developed, or a Brian Zoubek.

True it was a LONGER and more gradual development, but we're talking about QUITE A DIFFERENCE in NATURAL TALENT.He's a perfect complement to Carter!

OFC

I was thinking the same thing about Brian and Marshall. Neither one got a lot of love or confidence from this board their 1st two years. Looking forward to Vranks progression. OFC

I just wonder how Bolden and Carter will play together. Both talented, but do both need to do the same things? Can Carter shoot it a bit from face up?

I just wonder how Bolden and Carter will play together. Both talented, but do both need to do the same things? Can Carter shoot it a bit from face up?

Carter is a more skilled post player. By far.
Playing against him in practice will make Bolden, who has the physical tools, a better player.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Carter is a more skilled post player. By far.
Playing against him in practice will make Bolden, who has the physical tools, a better player.
I think they'll play with each other more in practice learning how to coexist. Carter can stretch the floor and can back down smaller defenders. I'd like to think they compliment each other well.

People wondering how Bamba can go to Kentucky with all their depth and not Duke, it's simple, Cal will go platoon system and give everyone time.

Since when did Vrank or Javin prove that they shouldn't be recruited over? I hope like heck they turn out to be really good players, but some posters here act like they have already proven themselves. I guess I just haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: devilsrule
The term "recruited over" is one of the more annoying terms used on boards. Maybe we should only recruit one PG of 5 star quality every 3 years so that no ones feelings get hurt. I know when Marcus Paige was Recruited over when they got Britt who was recruited over when they got Berry who was recruited over by Felton, but that doesn't count. This is big boy basketball. You try and get the best players you possibly can and field the best team possible. Shit happens even when you're the most prepared- you deal with it. We lost tyus unexpectedly. Then we lost DT unexpectedly, and then Frank. You've got to have plans, and often times those plans can change in a hurry. Someone transferred. Someone got hurt. Someone didn't live up to their star rating, someone got home sick.

The term "recruited over" is one of the more annoying terms used on boards. Maybe we should only recruit one PG of 5 star quality every 3 years so that no ones feelings get hurt. I know when Marcus Paige was Recruited over when they got Britt who was recruited over when they got Berry who was recruited over by Felton, but that doesn't count. This is big boy basketball. You try and get the best players you possibly can and field the best team possible. Shit happens even when you're the most prepared- you deal with it. We lost tyus unexpectedly. Then we lost DT unexpectedly, and then Frank. You've got to have plans, and often times those plans can change in a hurry. Someone transferred. Someone got hurt. Someone didn't live up to their star rating, someone got home sick.
How dare you bombard this board with facts, reasoning and level headed thinking. :)

Reactions: dukehokie

I have never understood it, either. It almost seems like it is a made up thing by Tar Hole fans in order to take yet another shot at Duke. "Why would so and so go to DOOK when K rat will just recruit over him anyways?? Yep, he will be transferring in a year!" It is totally moronic. You get the best players possible and it is up to them to determine their fate. Either they are good enough or they aren't. The best will play. Hole fans love to talk about how terrible Duke is because they have "so many" transfers. Have they ever thought of the fact that Duke has transfers because they have so much talent that the ones that get beat out simply want to go someplace where they will play??? I have heard how bad it was of K to not play Semi and now he is a star at SMU. Well, Holes, that is a testament to the level of talent at Duke, not that K F'ed up. Ever think of that?! Of course not....

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
^exactly...and semi then wasnt taking minutes from rodney hood...jabari parker...justice winslow...amile jefferson..........the semi that college basketball saw this past season was one that has sat out for close to 2 years fixing and working on his game

Not speaking on what ever hole fans say about Duke.

That aside Duke is the only blue blood averaging a transfer every year for the last five or six years. It's just a ploy teams can use for negative recruiting. I mean do we really think teams don't use that as a recruiting pitch against Duke? Transfers happens in college basketball a lot. What worries me is the noise of parents being unhappy with K

Not speaking on what ever hole fans say about Duke.

That aside Duke is the only blue blood averaging a transfer every year for the last five or six years. It's just a ploy teams can use for negative recruiting. I mean do we really think teams don't use that as a recruiting pitch against Duke? Transfers happens in college basketball a lot. What worries me is the noise of parents being unhappy with K
But each year we are bringing in 1-3 players who are going to go pro the next year and perhaps another who will only be here 2 years. Since we aren't playing 10-12 guys a night, we actually only need to land 1 4-year guy (and occasionally 2) per year. I mean the model for the 2015 team could be sustainable:
3 freshmen that went pro (Tyus, Jah, Winslow), 1 that lasts 2 years (I'll assume most guys with Grayson's trajectory, like Luke, are here 2 years)
1 soph 4year guy (Matt)
2 junior 4 year guys (Amile,Plum)
1 senior 4 year guy (Quinn)

Next year's team could be remarkably similar:
4 freshmen that play (Carter, Trent, Duval, and one more other)
1 soph 4year guy that plays (Javin)
1 junior 4year guy (Vrank)
1 senior 4 year guy (Grayson)

I honestly don't hate this model. It does mean we will have more transfers because we when we land a class like the one coming in (or the last one, or the 14-15 team) there isn't room for a bunch of 4 year guys spread out over the other 3 classes.

Kentucky fans are depressed about this. Tough luck. They'll probably never sign a 5-star big man again.

lol, happy it is not uk.
If it wasn't us, glad he ended up at Texas. Now I hope Duke makes some good headway with the recruitment of some of the top big men in the 2018-19 class. If Bolden has the year we are hoping for, Vrank will likely be our only true big on the roster.

Great pick up for UT. My heart is breaking for BBN. For some reason I feel like they'll be able to move on from this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT