ADVERTISEMENT

Bamba

DutchDevil

Recruit
Apr 21, 2015
I am so excited about Duval's commitment. Does anyone think this could help our recruitment of Bamba? Duke now has a stud point guard to run the show along with great surrounding pieces to contend for title #6. Bamba would be a great defensive presence to add to the team.

While recruiting is fluid it would take quite the wave to shift that one back our way. At least that is what I've gathered from the people I trust on this board.

I really think he's Texas bound.. with Jarrett Allen staying in the draft that 5 spot is all his

I think we are pretty much set! If by some way Bamba commits I welcome him with open arms. After what happened with Knox, anythings possible:D

I don't think that would be fair to Bolden.
I understand what you are saying, but why would it be unfair? Unless Coach K promised to not recruit over him (which is entirely possible) or promised him significant playing time (also possible but less likely), I'd say Bolden isn't owed anything. Players who play their asses off and are committed to team deserve certain things. Maybe we disagree, but I don't know that Bolden was great at either of those.
I guess I'm saying I don't know why anyone who hasn't contributed a lot for a long time (like seniors or exceptional juniors) is getting unfair treatment if they are recruited over. Especially if they seemingly underachieve.
I don't mean any of this as a knock on Bolden. Had Frank stuck around I don't think it'd be unfair to add Trent. Or to only add Carter once Giles announced.

I understand what you are saying, but why would it be unfair? Unless Coach K promised to not recruit over him (which is entirely possible) or promised him significant playing time (also possible but less likely), I'd say Bolden isn't owed anything. Players who play their asses off and are committed to team deserve certain things. Maybe we disagree, but I don't know that Bolden was great at either of those.
I guess I'm saying I don't know why anyone who hasn't contributed a lot for a long time (like seniors or exceptional juniors) is getting unfair treatment if they are recruited over. Especially if they seemingly underachieve.
I don't mean any of this as a knock on Bolden. Had Frank stuck around I don't think it'd be unfair to add Trent. Or to only add Carter once Giles announced.

Bolden is only at Duke to get to the NBA. The staff knows this. Bamba would be at Duke for the same reason. I don't think it fair to either guy to crowd their position, especially since we have a solid backup already and don't even need a center against many teams.

I don't think of it as owing anyone. I just want our program to have the reputation of looking out for the guys already on the roster.

At what point is enough enough? Bamba shouldn't even be considered. Duke has plenty of talent. Wish the kid success and say good luck unless we play you. Show some confidence in talent on roster, and let's go play. There's an old saying 'pigs get fat, hogs get butchered.'

At what point is enough enough? Bamba shouldn't even be considered. Duke has plenty of talent. Wish the kid success and say good luck unless we play you. Show some confidence in talent on roster, and let's go play. There's an old saying 'pigs get fat, hogs get butchered.'
Do you work at Duke? That saying reminds me of someone.

Bolden will be a very good player, it will take him time to develop. He played very little last yr, some due to injury some due to not ready to step up yet. In his defense he was a victim of his ranking as he shouldn't of been considered the number 1 overall center, but he didn't make the rankings. That said, having carter will help bolden develop even quicker. I don't think ks plan is to recruit over him but if bamba called k tomorrow and said I want to go to duke you wouldn't tell him no thanks.

I am so excited about Duval's commitment. Does anyone think this could help our recruitment of Bamba? Duke now has a stud point guard to run the show along with great surrounding pieces to contend for title #6. Bamba would be a great defensive presence to add to the team.
I like our roster now. We have a nice mixture of go to guys and role players. We're young of course but I think the addition of Duval will get our bigs lots of easy dunks next year and allow Grayson and Trent to play their natural positions. I think the chemistry for this team is good; they just need seasoning. Lots of seasoning. But we'll get there. :)

Ah yes, thats a great stock trading quote too. One that I have learned the hard way :(

Reactions: christophero
I too think it would be a mistake to recruit and sign Bamba at this point.

This is not the NBA where players are paid millions to even sit on the bench. It's purely about competition.

It may help the program in the short run to get Bamba in but I think in the long run it hurts the program for recruits to sign then sit the bench because they are constantly recruited over. And, it hurts the kid's chances for the NBA. I'd rather see us give Bolden every chance to stay, work hard, and develop into an NBA talent on the court.

I think we have a shot ..imo between us and Texas I'd say 60 -40 ..he's got a chance to do what his mom wants and beat out bolden? I'd take that ..hell even if he doesn't he's still going to get burn ...Texas isn't going to compete next season imo..do you want to win and compete ..or get something handed to u and not make the tourney ... ..

Reactions: christophero
Bolden is only at Duke to get to the NBA. The staff knows this. Bamba would be at Duke for the same reason. I don't think it fair to either guy to crowd their position, especially since we have a solid backup already and don't even need a center against many teams.

I don't think of it as owing anyone. I just want our program to have the reputation of looking out for the guys already on the roster.
Hahaha come on man! Only reason? Really? Guys go to blue bloods to win titles and go to the league otherwise they'd all go to California, USC, NC State, Etc. Don't be so hyberbolic.

Reactions: Quavarius
I too think it would be a mistake to recruit and sign Bamba at this point.

This is not the NBA where players are paid millions to even sit on the bench. It's purely about competition.

It may help the program in the short run to get Bamba in but I think in the long run it hurts the program for recruits to sign then sit the bench because they are constantly recruited over. And, it hurts the kid's chances for the NBA. I'd rather see us give Bolden every chance to stay, work hard, and develop into an NBA talent on the court.
Youngman I think you are 100 % correct. Not only to give Bolden his fair chance but IMO, Duke better than anyone has proven that too much talent on a team can dilute the teams achievements and cohesiveness. I think we have the possibility of having an exceptional team next season and this group of players just might be the real deal.

Hahaha come on man! Only reason? Really? Guys go to blue bloods to win titles and go to the league otherwise they'd all go to California, USC, NC State, Etc. Don't be so hyberbolic.
Bolden is at Duke to impress NBA scouts. I'd say that is 90% his motivation. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Hyperbola_1001.gif

It is interesting how lately guys are going to the non- blue blood schools.

Ben Simmons - LSU - #1 pick
Markelle Fultz - Washington - likely #1 pick
Michael Porter - Missouri - possible #1 pick
Mo Bamba - Texas??? - likely top-five pick

If Bamba goes to Texas, the 2017 class has a lot of non blue blood schools at the top:

#1 - Missouri
#2 - Texas
#7 - Alabama
#8 - W. Kentucky
#11 - UNLV

Reactions: skysdad
I agree with most of what is said above, IF Coach K sticks with a 7 or 8 man rotation. However, if he plays 9 or 10, then there is plenty of room for Bamba. I hate to use Cal as an example, but he does successfully use a lot of players.

I get where most of you are coming from with being loyal to Bolden, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to put all our eggs in the Bolden basket yet after the lazy effort we all saw last year. If it shows up again this year, are we gonna say in March "I'm sure glad we didn't go after Bamba"? Sure he should get credit for staying, but I don't really see anything wrong with adding a great player at his position. I don't think the starting spot should be his birth right after last year. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: nboehman
It is interesting how lately guys are going to the non- blue blood schools.

Ben Simmons - LSU - #1 pick
Markelle Fultz - Washington - likely #1 pick
Michael Porter - Missouri - possible #1 pick
Mo Bamba - Texas??? - likely top-five pick

If Bamba goes to Texas, the 2017 class has a lot of non blue blood schools at the top:

#1 - Missouri
#2 - Texas
#7 - Alabama
#8 - W. Kentucky
#11 - UNLV
It is interesting, but has nothing to do with what I posted.

Bolden is at Duke to impress NBA scouts. I'd say that is 90% his motivation. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Hyperbola_1001.gif
Then why didn't he go to a school where he could get 35 mpg? I just think it gets blown out of proportion now a days about kids wanting to play in the NBA. Of course that's the end goal, but it's a disservice to some of these kids to claim it's the only goal.

I just don't get the 'protect Bolden' argument. Bolden cannot play 40 minutes a game. Splitting time with Bamba would provide both with adequate rest and adequate time on the floor. Both provide a different skill set and I could see situations where Bamba could slide to the 4 position allowing Carter to get rest. Just my opinion.

...Duke better than anyone has proven that too much talent on a team can dilute the teams achievements and cohesiveness...
Especially when there are an unprecedented amount of injuries to players, a head coach with health issues, excessively negative media attention, no true point guard, having to play a road game in NCAAT, etc.

I also would prefer us not to land Bamba. In addition to Bolden, what about Vrank? He's played well in the limited minutes we've seen him in and has been in the program for years now. I would love to see him receive a shot.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I THINK K and staff had a really upfront end of year convo with Bolden, I'm sure they gave him things to work on this off season and obviously (seeing how after all the "he's transferring" rumors were dispelled by Bolden) both parties are comfortable with was was put on the table. So to then recruit over the kid would be a slap in the face IMHO.

Everyone is so locked in on people with the opinion of giving Bolden 40 minutes, when we've all pretty much said one of Bamba may not help Duke's future as much as three of Bolden, AV and Javin. Bamba takes minutes from all of them, unless for some reason he turns out like Bolden his freshman year and all but loses his time.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I also would prefer us not to land Bamba. In addition to Bolden, what about Vrank? He's played well in the limited minutes we've seen him in and has been in the program for years now. I would love to see him receive a shot.

I hear ya. But let me throw this out there... How do you like our front court if either Bolden or Carter goes down with an injury? You think we're a final four team with Vrank starting? Or with Javin starting?

Big men get hurt. Or get in foul trouble. I'm very comfortable with Vrank or Javin playing 10 min a game. I'm a lot less comfortable if we need either to play 30 min a game.

I hear ya. But let me throw this out there... How do you like our front court if either Bolden or Carter goes down with an injury? You think we're a final four team with Vrank starting? Or with Javin starting?

Big men get hurt. Or get in foul trouble. I'm very comfortable with Vrank or Javin playing 10 min a game. I'm a lot less comfortable if we need either to play 30 min a game.
Good point, depth could be an issue this coming season and if the injury gods were as cruel as they were this past season, our frontcourt could be in some trouble. Another realistic possibility is that we stay healthy and a highly ranked Bamba creates a logjam in the frontcourt. Coach has shown that he likes a shorter rotation so who gets booted out, one of the highly ranked recruits or the program guys that have been waiting for their opportunity. I know that Duke is one of the most prestigious programs around and we'll have no problems recruiting, but I just can't see how the second scenario I proposed doesn't negatively impact us moving forward.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Good point, depth could be an issue this coming season and if the injury gods were as cruel as they were this past season, our frontcourt could be in some trouble. Another realistic possibility is that we stay healthy and a highly ranked Bamba creates a logjam in the frontcourt. Coach has shown that he likes a shorter rotation so who gets booted out, one of the highly ranked recruits or the program guys that have been waiting for their opportunity. I know that Duke is one of the most prestigious programs around and we'll have no problems recruiting, but I just can't see how the second scenario I proposed doesn't negatively impact us moving forward.

I agree, to a point. If we land Bamba and stay healthy, that certainly creates a logjam for Vrank or Javin. But, as much as I'd like to see those guys get real minutes, those guys failing to get minutes likely doesn't hurt us in the recruiting world.

Now, if Bolden doesn't get minutes for a second straight year that could hurt us, as Bolden was a top-15 prospect. But I don't think Bamba's presence would or should stop Bolden from getting real minutes. Carter, Bolden, and Bamba could split 120 minutes a game fairly evenly, each getting nearly 30 min a game. That's plenty of minutes for a big man.

Here's a list of big men who have averaged 26+ min a game at Duke over the last few years:
2016-17 - Amile - 29 min
2015-16 - Amile - 30; Marshall 30
2014-15 - Jah - 30
2013-2014 - Jabari - 31

My point being that while K plays his guards 35-36 min a game, no big guy should be coming to Duke expecting those kinds of minutes. If Bamba, Carter, and Bolden each averaged 26-30 minutes a game, I don't think any of them could reasonably complain about their minutes.

I think you and I are mostly in agreement, though. Bamba isn't critical to Duke's season (barring Carter or Bolden getting hurt). Without Bamba we still have quality starting big men and quality role-player big men. But I want Bamba (although I think it's very doubtful he comes here), and I think we're a better team with Bamba than without.

Three things are certain in this situation:
1. We'd be deeper and more versatile with Mo on the roster.
2. His commitment would create the potential for player discontent.
3. We're title contenders either way because we have a top 3 backcourt.

This leads me to cool on Bamba unless he and Bolden each state outright, "I'm fine with the possibility of 10-15 minutes per game."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT