ADVERTISEMENT

Amile

Are you saying he specifically said Amile will not play, or that he omitted Amile when saying Jones and Thornton would go? Either scenario is not particularly promising, but specifically saying Amile is a no-go would be much worse.

Yea it deff matters lol and he's not going to say "Amile will play" before the fact why give a team that info?

He said something like...he expects that everyone will be healthy and play Thursday...except Amile.

He said everyone would be back for FSU except for Amile

So, I pose this question, if Amile isn't back before say, Wake Forest, does he come back at all? I just don't see them bringing him back for the two tourneys. I mean, it is possible, but I feel like he needs a few games to get back into game shape. Ideally, I would love to see him play a limited role on Thursday against FSU and then Sunday @Pitt. With that role expanding in the Wake and Carolina games. That way we can rest up a bit more, get him in decent shape, and be ready for the ACC tourney. We haven't won the ACC championship since 2011. I'd love to see this team find a way to win in D.C. Having Amile back is key for a deep run in both tourneys.

That's assuming it's an option for Amile. I mean, we know he can get a medical redshirt, but does he want to? Besides, he's not going to be a 24-year-old lottery pick. He's already turning 23 this upcoming May, which would make him 24 by the time of the 2017 draft. You have some NBA players who already have been in the league for a half-decade at that point.

IMO, I think Amile feels his time is now. This is the team he was picked to captain. The team he was chosen to lead. There's a sense of being there for them. If, and I mean if, Amile can play in the next seven days, then I think he will.

Btw, I read on THR you're having some type of "major" surgery soon....thoughts and prayers to you and the best of luck.

Agreed. Amile's about to finish up his degree and has already won a national title. If he's able to get back and play this season, I think he will choose to play. While Amile may not make it in the NBA (though I wouldn't count him out), he's certainly a player who can make a decent living playing professional basketball until his early to mid-30s. I just don't see him further cutting into that earning-potential window by staying another year in college.

So, I pose this question, if Amile isn't back before say, Wake Forest, does he come back at all? I just don't see them bringing him back for the two tourneys. I mean, it is possible, but I feel like he needs a few games to get back into game shape. Ideally, I would love to see him play a limited role on Thursday against FSU and then Sunday @Pitt. With that role expanding in the Wake and Carolina games. That way we can rest up a bit more, get him in decent shape, and be ready for the ACC tourney. We haven't won the ACC championship since 2011. I'd love to see this team find a way to win in D.C. Having Amile back is key for a deep run in both tourneys.

IMO, my gut is that he'll play if he's ready to play by the ACC tournament. And, in that regard, I do think there are a couple points to note. First, while he's certainly not in game shape, I'm sure that -- like Ryan -- he's been doing a lot of different types of untraditional conditioning for over a month now-- whether it be running in a pool, swimming, etc., and he's now been doing some basketball related activities for a few weeks. He may not be in peak condition, but I don't think he's so far off that a week or two of practice + the ACCs wouldn't get him into some semblance of shape where he could, at a minimum, give us about 16-20 minutes in the NCAAs. He may not be the Amile we remember from the start of the year. But, in spurts, I don't think it's unreaosnable to think he could be a solid player. And, if we advance to the second weekend of the NCAAs, you'd have to think that his endurance level would start to be getting closer to normal.

Second, lets not forget that K brought Kyrie back for the NCAAs alone after seeing him (as a freshman) miss nearly as much of the season. While Kyrie's professional future was more certain, not sure why we'd hold him out if Amile would prefer to play / is up in the air about coming back for a 5th year. Obviously I'm not a mind reader -- but the fact that Amile / staff are still trying to get him back after missing so much of the season tells me that Amile isn't all that enthusiastic about doing a 5th year if he can avoid it (if at all).

Last edited:
The only difference I see there aah is that Kyrie's future at Duke was over no matter what. He wasn't returning the following season. With Amile, there's the option of him returning next season and not wasting a whole year of eligibility by playing in a couple of games.

That said, I still feel like he returns in the next week or so.

What a crazy country/world we live in. How warped is the sports/entertainment world. Not once in any of these discussions have I heard anything related to what an amazing benefit it would be to Amile to get a graduate degree from Duke University for free! Not criticizing anyone here, Amile, the team, etc. It just blows my mind that the opportunity for a free graduate degree has so little meaning. I get it with the NBA likely candidates. But for a guy whose pro prospects are limited, it is a little crazy that it appears so irrelevant.

What a crazy country/world we live in. How warped is the sports/entertainment world. Not once in any of these discussions have I heard anything related to what an amazing benefit it would be to Amile to get a graduate degree from Duke University for free! Not criticizing anyone here, Amile, the team, etc. It just blows my mind that the opportunity for a free graduate degree has so little meaning. I get it with the NBA likely candidates. But for a guy whose pro prospects are limited, it is a little crazy that it appears so irrelevant.
WTF does Amille's graduate degree have to do with anything ITT? When we vote for the game ball do we need to mention their GPA's as well?

Reactions: pisgah101
Having Marshall, Amile, Ingram and Chase in the front court then DT, Grayson, Matt, Luke as the guards would be a group that could go on a FF run for sure

A 1 year MBA from Fuqua isn't trivial. That would detract from bball practice and travel, and vice versa.

At this point Amile should just redshirt. He's missed the entire ACC regular season & clearly won't be himself after no game action for close to three months. Not the senior year anyone was envisioning for a player who saved us many times last year.

I'm good with whatever decision the young man makes. I had a similar situation occur when I was a senior in college. Sometimes you're just ready to move onto the next transition in your life, I know I was.

I'm good with whatever decision the young man makes. I had a similar situation occur when I was a senior in college. Sometimes you're just ready to move onto the next transition in your life, I know I was.

Agreed. I loved attending Duke, but I was ready to move on to the next thing after 4 years. As I don't think there's much Amile could do as a 5th year to improve his professional stock (i.e., either way, I think he's going to have to work his way on to a roster through the undrafted FA route), I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want to come back just to have a health sr. year. While it's been a disappointing season for him, I am not sure that disappointment would cause him to want to delay the rest of his life.

I forwarded all of your heart-felt suggestions to Amile for his consideration. He thanks you for the invaluable input.

Maybe you wanted to move on, but not me. I wanted to stay at Duke forever. Who the heck wants to get a job?
OFC
When you have no money to do much on the weekend, then you're ready to get that first job. Heck, I can remember me and my roommate arguing over he drank the rest of the Koolaid in the fridge.

Reactions: barkingpumpkin
When you have no money to do much on the weekend, then you're ready to get that first job. Heck, I can remember me and my roommate arguing over he drank the rest of the Koolaid in the fridge.
That does sound traumatic. The only thing I remember arguing with my housemate about was whether to drop acid before, or after, we went to the Ivy Room for beers.
OFC

Just texted my boy and my gf this picture and I said the exact same thing...something about this picture strangely eases me, and he truly does look normal again. No braces, no wrapped up lower leg, no massive stabilizing shoe, nothing! He may very well get in the game vs FSU, he's close boys...

So when he's starting, who is bumped? Derryck? I hope not. Matt?

I don't think it matters much. It's more about who is on the court at the end anyways....plus, it increases our depth almost 20%. In addition, there's a chance both Derryck and Matt, because of their injuries, won't be able to go a full 35 minutes.

But starting-wise, I would think the lineup stays as it is now, with Amile coming off the bench initially. After that, it might depend on matchups.

So when he's starting, who is bumped? Derryck? I hope not. Matt?

When/if he comes back, I doubt he starts. But if he comes back strong and producing, I would like to see it be a lineup of Plumlee, Jefferson, Ingram, Allen and Thornton. Obviously there will be times where it's either Plumlee OR Jefferson and Thornton over Jones will depend on whether or not Derryck continues to evolve. And all of that is just me talking and I am no coach.

Reactions: pisgah101
Even if Amile comes back, I would guess that he'd be coming off the bench initially -- if not permanently. The team has found a decent offensive rhythm without him and I don't think they're going to try and upset that by playing a lot of big lineups with Amile / Plumlee. My guess is that, initially, we'd probably see Amile play about 5-10 minutes at the 4 to give Ingram a breather and another 10/15 minutes in place of Marshall. My guess is that, to the extent Amile's role increases over time, it will be more situational -- e.g., if the other team has a 4 that gives BI real matchup issues.

Bump Matt. I'm in favor of Luke over here right now anyway.. The added depth will be great tho. And I doubt Amile throws off the rhythm of the team

I would be surprised if he started...probably defiantly on Senior Night. I believe with the time he has been out a role like he had on last years team would be perfect...where he comes off the bench and provides some solid defense/rebounding and spells Plumlee and Ingram.

One things for sure...our guys are not going to know what to do with all their rest they will be able to get now!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT