ADVERTISEMENT

Acc admits fault

If we lose to Notre Dame I am switching to watching synchronized swimming for the rest of the season. We should be able to beat ND at home even without Flip.

If we lose to Notre Dame I am switching to watching synchronized swimming for the rest of the season. We should be able to beat ND at home even without Flip.

**. That one is at home. I was looking at something giving me the opposite that said it was at ND. Glad it is at home.

Reactions: christophero
Maybe. But Coach K would have given the refs hell. I think you have to protest in situations like this.
Absolutely, but the talk on here that the call is different because of K is laughable. Those people haven't been paying attention to Duke basketball games over the years. Duke has been completely hosed numerous times and in much bigger games with K on the bench.

That knowledge and a dollar will get me on the bus. I suppose it could help on Selection Sunday.

He can’t be seen as a pushover.

Unfortunately, perception appears to be heading toward that. Refs aren’t afraid to explain things to Jon. And it simply may not be in him to instill fear into the officials. I don’t think that call happens with K on that sideline.

Again, all the people saying the UVA loss wouldn't hurt us were wrong. We lose to ND tonight, and we're on the bubble.

Reactions: Mac9192
I'm just going to assume we get it together and win. Because if we can't win this one...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, perception appears to be heading toward that. Refs aren’t afraid to explain things to Jon. And it simply may not be in him to instill fear into the officials. I don’t think that call happens with K on that sideline.
Except the problem with that is that it DID happen to K. It happened to K quite a bit early in his Duke career. He stood up and brought it to light and had the balls to call out the ACC for its favoritism towards UNC and the almighty Dean. Jon’s time will come.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Except the problem with that is that it DID happen to K. It happened to K quite a bit early in his Duke career. He stood up and brought it to light and had the balls to call out the ACC for its favoritism towards UNC and the almighty Dean. Jon’s time will come.
Exactly right, there is a time and a season. Jon is a young coach, he needs to bide his time until the right moment. He cannot fly off the handle at every moment. Any good coach bends the ear of the official and do get calls based on who they are. They have the ethos. Self does. K did. Jon does not. Cackles does not (officials probably just had a "who does he think he is" after the Duke game). For how he handled UVA he will get more respect from the officials, especially because he is directing his ire at the lack of communication from the refs themselves and the ACC. You name the top officials in college basketball right now, they are all thinking "It is one thing to F up royally by getting a ruling wrong, but your lack of communication is deplorable." At least Joyce faced the music and media when he screwed up Verlander's perfect game. Hoculi had no problem having his email out there for fans who disagreed with him. And damn was Hoculi the best explaining to the crowd what the hell was going on in odd situations.

Wojo and Collins were yellers from a young age. I just don't think Jon has it in him. Can he still be effective? Yes just look at Wright, Few and Bennett who are not really yellers. But you have to know how to work the refs. Does that come with time? maybe, but you have to be willing to try.

Wojo and Collins were yellers from a young age. I just don't think Jon has it in him. Can he still be effective? Yes just look at Wright, Few and Bennett who are not really yellers. But you have to know how to work the refs. Does that come with time? maybe, but you have to be willing to try.
Chris are you suggesting Jon isn’t?

We all know how K was, but it took him years to become the K we are comparing Jon to. Jon has to be his own coach. Sure, there's times when I want him to show more emotion, but I'm doing the same thing by saying "K would have went off if that happened with him." That's not fair to Jon.

Jon is coaching in a different era, and I think he's the right man as the head coach. I'm also glad K no longer is the head coach.

I am a supervisor at my job. I'm kind of quiet and introverted, but I'm being paid to do certain things so I have to be more assertive than I otherwise might be. That was my point with Jon. I'm sure it will come with time.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Good point. Some others have made some good points as well. I do remember K bringing up the Dean favoritism. And it probably is not fair to compare Jon to an established K. Still, when something that egregious happens, “I” would have liked to see him get thrown out the game, and left it to his assistants to go to OT. They purposefully did that to his kids. I hope his time does come as you say. I hope it is him biding his time and not a sign of things to come.

Reactions: timo0402
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT