ADVERTISEMENT

2010 Naty Final Shot multiple angles

And that shot still hasn’t gone in…

Really hard to believe that’s 13 years ago. Time just won’t slow the hell down, they’re all special but that one is probably no worse than second for me behind 1991 as the sweetest. unc-chapel hill branch was coming off two titles, they had stole Harrison Barnes the #1 recruit in November 2009, I believe the day of or week of Duke’s season opener is when he announced. (Still the only time my unc-brother in law ever called me regarding hoops news.) overheard at the office that day, the former unc grad/President of the company I work for, boasts: “those folks at Duke have got to be beside themselves.”

Little did we know that Duke would go on to achieve one of the greatest seasons in school history as that team won everything you can possibly win starting with the Pre-Season NIT Championship over UConn and Jimmy C, (who with Kemba Walker would win it all a year later. ) won the ACC, hammered Chapel hill by 32 points to close the RS and then took home the gold. Harrison Barnes despite nightly on air verbal fellatio by Jay Bilas never did anything really special.

I went down to Cameron the next day for the homecoming celebration as I did in 2001 and 2015 and it was really electric. People were just happy, simplest way to say it, it was an arena full of happy happy fans who had been waiting for this.

And that shot still hasn’t gone in!

Last edited:
2002 was pretty bad. I had just moved out west and CBS cut away from the game to cover the first half of Arizona I think. I literally had to watch the little scoreboard on top of the screen as we were playing Indiana. They cut to the game right after Indiana had won. Just torture.

I was at the ACC championship against GT. The team played games score wise similar to this past team. Good defense and rebounding but 2010 team had better shooters.

Me too! That’s the only ACC Championship game I’ve been to. They had won so many I was worried that I was missing opportunities to ever see them win one in person. I was also at the semi-final over Miami. Duke had two very close games in the ACC Tournament. In the final Scheyer hit a 3 with 50 some seconds? To seal it for Duke with a 4 point lead. I still didn’t foresee a National Championship three weeks later. That team was just so experienced, efficient as hell offensively, became a juggernaut in the paint with rebounding and had “the big 3” with Smith/Scheyer/Singler. There were not many guards on that team, Andre Dawkins would come in as the only other guard but K had a lot of post depth. He could put the two Plumlee brothers in and they’d bring the energy for a few mins. Great group!

Last edited:
The only Duke game I have been to was Duke FSU. It was right after the Grayson tripping incident; and the fans were brutal. We lost. Every single time Chase Jeter was in they dunked on us. They booed loudly every time Grayson got the ball. The entire game.

Speaking of past teams, I am watching the 1999 MSU semifinal. Duke had won their first 4 tournament games by an average of 30 points.

I love to revisit old games as well, especially the biggest ones but rarely ever do I revisit any game from 1999. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️ And that was only a 37-2 team (lol), it’s just not one that is among my favorites. Fabulous year, brutal ending, they had it so easy all year as they just overwhelmed the entire league with their talent. There’s been enough stories over the years to confirm that there was a little too much confidence on that Sunday before the final and I don’t think that it was a very close team either.

Just not one of my favs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've heard that Brand, Avery, Langdon and Magette were a clique and didn't really hang out with the rest of the team. But we still should have won.

I've heard that Brand, Avery, Langdon and Magette were a clique and didn't really hang out with the rest of the team. But we still should have won.

I don’t know about Trajan, but the other three were a clique. Ian O'Conner’s excellent book on Mike Krzyzewski that came out last year is the most recent published source to confirm that as well.

I don't know. Zoubek and the Plumlees might have been able to slow down Brand. He had trouble against bigger guys. He was a PF forced to play center because Burgess was very inconsistent. Battier as a soph and senior Thomas probably even. Singler probably better than Carrawell. Avery /Langdon slight edge over Nolan, Jon. Would have been a battle; but I'd put my $ on 99. They also had 6th man Maggette.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
A Duke team that doesn’t get much pub is 94. Also a year where K doesn’t get the credit for his coaching. Led by Grant, and a solid complimentary player in Cherokee. The rest were merely role players.
K’s game plan against Big Dog and Purdue was one of the best ever.

Go back and watch just how close Lang was to blocking the game winning 3 by Arkansas in the title game. That one still hurts.

I really don't like watching that Hayward shot at the end. That game was agonizing and I still can't make sense of that intentional miss. I think I fear that one of these days that shot will somehow go in. I hated that game even though I loved it. It was brutal and my anxiety was through the roof. We had gone through some rough seasons before that, so it felt even bigger at the time than many of the other years. I did love that team though, just hated that game other than the ending.

It was a gutsy call. Butler had no time outs, and if Z made the free throw the best they could do was tie. But it worked out.

It was a gutsy call. Butler had no time outs, and if Z made the free throw the best they could do was tie. But it worked out.

It was a judgment call. I’d have gone for the intentional make on the second one and not the miss but I absolutely understand the reasoning for it and you can’t foresee something like Kyle and that damn screen he got hammered with to free up Hayward for a good look at it. K discussed the strategy post game before pausing with a smile and saying, what the hell, it didn’t go in. Lol.

I agree on what Tim is saying about it feeling even bigger because of the prior recent seasons. Carolina winning it all the prior year, their second since Duke’s last one in 2001 contributed to that. When Howard scored the two baskets to cut Duke’s lead to one point I started pacing the floor. Didn’t know what to think when Butler had the chance to take the lead with like 10-15 seconds left after Duke turned the ball over. Talk about heart pounding out of your chest, that Duke team did what they had done all year, they relied on their defense. Everyone knew Hayward was gonna take it and while Singler stayed on him as he drove, Zoubek came over with an outstretched arm forcing Hayward to lean back further on that shot attempt and it missed into Zoubek’s hands. Who could have imagined that Hayward would have a second attempt touch the rim as the game clock hit 0.00? any time anyone dwells too much on “what if”s, counter that thought by remembering the two Laettner buzzer beaters, the 22 point FF deficit comeback, the two Hayward misses and the Hurley 3-pointer vs UNLV.

I remember a 2009 ESPN/Sporting News? magazine article about how Roy was getting the best of K. It was the Ali pic of him standing over Liston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT