ADVERTISEMENT

What's with Duke and feet?

Will, while I agree with you that it seems Duke has a lot of foot/ankle injuries, do we have any data that indicates Duke has it more than other schools? My own experience tells me foot/ankle injuries are by far the most common in basketball. Doesn't make it any easier to stomach though.

It does seem strange. I played high school ball 4 years. Not the same level clearly, but we had twisted ankles, sprained fingers etc. No one in my 4 years ever broke a foot. It happens, but seems to happen at Duke a lot.

My hazy recollection from my playing days about 100 years ago is that a break heals better than a ligament tear which will remain weak even after it heals. So Dariq has that going for him.

My hazy recollection from my playing days about 100 years ago is that a break heals better than a ligament tear which will remain weak even after it heals. So Dariq has that going for him.
Sounds worse but long term prognosis better iirc

As frustrating as it is for Duke fans to see the constant turnover of players, our (high?) history of foot injuries should make us see why the kids take the money as soon as they can.

Whether they are ready or not, in our opinion.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Maybe we need to take the preseason training down a notch. You don't hang banners in November. It's not a sprint it's a marathon. Either that or we are just snakebitten since 2015.

Maybe we need to go back to Chuck Taylors Converse All Stars. It's been a long time but it seems that the foot injuries were not near as many. OFC

The money is there. I’d jump ship in a heart beat and take the few hundred thousand, 1 million whatever guaranteed, and jump ship again! Buy me a little house few acres of land paid for. Get a decent paying job that’ll pay for the taxes and electric bill and have plenty of money to blow at the titty bar on friday and live happily ever after ! Worst case scenario sounds damn good to me 😂 I ain’t greedy

Reactions: geddoughton23
I'm somewhat glad that they at least it's a fracture in the foot and not just a " lower body injury ". It would be better if more information were released such as fracture of the fifth metatarsal. The prognosis is four to six weeks. That's good, the very minimum for surgery involving a fractured foot

Reactions: jeffrey236
The money is there. I’d jump ship in a heart beat and take the few hundred thousand, 1 million whatever guaranteed, and jump ship again! Buy me a little house few acres of land paid for. Get a decent paying job that’ll pay for the taxes and electric bill and have plenty of money to blow at the titty bar on friday and live happily ever after ! Worst case scenario sounds damn good to me 😂 I ain’t greedy

I'm not comprehending. 😊 OFC

All I saying is errrbody on this board would book it for…hell 50k guaranteed in their teens . My age now it wouldddd take … 500k. I like to work. Keeps the mind busy

What does errrbody mean? Oh you mean everybody. It's easy to punch the wrong key. I do it all the time and sometimes I just don't take the time to proof read or spell check. 😊 OFC

Hey guys! Been a follower of this board for a few years now, mainly since the 2015 title run. I have been a Dukie all my life.
Why do our foot issues seem to always involve freshman? Dariq, Jalen Johnson (not a Dukie), Tatum, Kyrie, and I know there are quite a few more. You would think a place like Duke has all of the resources to prevent this. I know kids are playing 300+ basketball games a year so not sure if that is correlated to it.

It does seem like a lot of our freshman have foot and other injuries. Zion, Keels was injured, Jalen Johnson was injured, AJ was injured, Tatum, Cam, Bolden was injured his first year if I recall. I don't know if it happens to other teams as much. Boozer broke his foot, Dariq broke his foot, Amile broke his foot his senior year, Elton got injured his freshman year. Broken foot I think. Kyrie broke a toe. It's crazy. Nike should name a shoe the Duke broken foot edition.

Last edited:
It does seem like a lot of our freshman have foot and other injuries. Zion, Keels was injured, AJ was injured, Tatum, Cam, Bolden was injured his first year if I recall. I don't know if it happens to other teams as much. Boozer broke his foot, Amile broke his foot, Elton got injured his freshman year. Broken foot I think. Kyrie broke a toe. It's crazy. Nike should name a shoe the Duke broken foot edition.
Just an honest question, and not an implication, but where are Duke's Nikes made? I really have no idea.
OFC

Just an honest question, and not an implication, but where are Duke's Nikes made? I really have no idea.
OFC
Vietnam, China and other Asian countries. Nike shoes are very poorly made. My nephew injured his knee when his shoe exploded like Zion's.

I'm sure that you get sick of hearing me talk about UNC. My friend's brother worked for Converse. I remember in 1978 he took a mold of Mike O'Koren's feet so some custom shoes could be built for him.

When you dunk every day of the year, it puts a lot of stress on the feet, particularly the fifth metatarsal, the most likely bone to break from repetitive stress.

Duke needs to make sure the players ankles are properly taped. They should all have custom orthotics. Shavlik Randolph really hurt his career. by putting part of a tennis ball in his shoe to. relieve stress.

And players should avoid playing in games for six weeks a year to allow their feet and knees to recover

We seem to have far more injuries than UNC. It kind of evens things out if we can't keep guys on the court. I think at this point questions need to be asked. Even RR feels bad for us.

Vietnam, China and other Asian countries. Nike shoes are very poorly made. My nephew injured his knee when his shoe exploded like Zion's.

I'm sure that you get sick of hearing me talk about UNC. My friend's brother worked for Converse. I remember in 1978 he took a mold of Mike O'Koren's feet so some custom shoes could be built for him.

When you dunk every day of the year, it puts a lot of stress on the feet, particularly the fifth metatarsal, the most likely bone to break from repetitive stress.

Duke needs to make sure the players ankles are properly taped. They should all have custom orthotics. Shavlik Randolph really hurt his career. by putting part of a tennis ball in his shoe to. relieve stress.

And players should avoid playing in games for six weeks a year to allow their feet and knees to recover
I was thinking China, but was waiting for someone else to open that door. Thank you, and God bless the Uyghurs.
OFC

Maybe we should start buying our shoes at Walmart. I have played a ton of pick up games in the last 20 years and have never broken a foot. Our guys sneeze and they break a foot and are out 6-8 weeks, or indefinitely.

Maybe we should start buying our shoes at Walmart. I have played a ton of pick up games in the last 20 years and have never broken a foot. Our guys sneeze and they break a foot and are out 6-8 weeks, or indefinitely.
Hakeem Olajuwon was disgusted with the high cost of shoes. He teamed with Champion to sell good shoes that were only $13 per pair. Not only did he not get paid, he gave Champion money to complete the project. CNN filmed teens playing with the logos covered. They loved the feel of the shoes but when they realized there wasn't a swoosh or three stripes they didn't want them

Reactions: christophero
Phil Knight is the founder and Chairman of Nike. He wrote a book called SHOE DOG. He is the narrator of the book on tape. It's really sad. He's shockingly honest about the poor quality and huge profit margins. He paid a lady in the office three shares of stock for designing the swoosh . He wrote it after the death of his son and I think that he just didn't care.

I needed a pair of non-slip shoes to work in my friend's restaurant when he couldn't find help a few years ago due to Covid. I bought a really good pair of shoes at Walmart that were Nike knockoffs. They had the same air sole and the swoosh was upside down. Only $25 instead of $125

There were rumors going on when Zion blew his shoe out. They somehow traced the lot number of the shoe and found out that it was made by a eight year old boy in China. The poor kid suddenly disappeared wherebouts still unknown. OFC

Good one Sky. I think Nike has failed us.

I played pick up basketball in Chucks (low tops) both on inside and outside courts for years. I also wore the same Duke Blue Chucks to school and hanging out. I never suffered a foot or lower body injury. I wonder if I should let the Duke staff know about this?😊 OFC

Hakeem Olajuwon was disgusted with the high cost of shoes. He teamed with Champion to sell good shoes that were only $13 per pair. Not only did he not get paid, he gave Champion money to complete the project. CNN filmed teens playing with the logos covered. They loved the feel of the shoes but when they realized there wasn't a swoosh or three stripes they didn't want them
I loved Olajuwon. Great player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT