ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke Vs Dartmouth

Time will tell and definitely pulling for the players on this roster. But I think that is why lot of us wanted someone from the portal. But hope the players on this roster fill that void.

Reactions: christophero
Wow Blakes saving the day. Yay experience. Kid gives his all.
42-21 Duke at halftime.
Stewart not in at all? Is he hurt or sick?

Last edited:
It's the first game of the year so not looking crisp was expected. We look just fine overall and Flip looks really good.

However, when Flip or Young have to guard anything outside of the paint, we get in trouble

Flip with 20 and 6, 8 of 9 from the field. Not bad. Get Reeves in there and give Flip a rest.

Disappointed in what I’ve seen from reeves defense so far. Just late and doesn’t get his hands up to contest the shot

Reactions: sheyduke and mbdfan
Reeves is very weak on defense, I think that is his issue with playing time. Definitely no rim protector

Reeves will get there. He seems to play very well when Young is guarding him. He does seem a step slow at times.

Disappointed in what I’ve seen from reeves defense so far. Just late and doesn’t get his hands up to contest the shot
He's late because he doesn't move well laterally, really needs improvement with his footwork. Small sample size but he still looks like something of a project to me, not going to be the rim protecter this team needs I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Lively's lightning quick reflexes are rare. And even he took a while to get going.
Flip and Roach playing very well.
Roach and Blakes our 2 best guards tonight. Score one for the old men.
Foster with a solid game off the bench.

Last edited:
Reeves was out the last game recovering from the flu. Let's not write him off yet.
Wow Foster with 15!

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
And? That’s why I said so far. Dude with his hands down as a 7 footer on a jump shot Is inexcusable
You’ve never seen a post defender with their hands down? I take it you don’t watch much basketball.

You’ve never seen a post defender with their hands down? I take it you don’t watch much basketball.

Of course I have. It’s called poor defense. 7 footer playing defense with your eyes isn’t worth much. Not sure if you knew that

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
Solid first game. My way too early prediction is Reeves isn’t ready. Would like to be wrong, but I think there’s too many guys on the roster. It’s a shame he doesn’t have Young’s basketball IQ.

Our guards are good. Even though he fouled out, I really like McCain.

Last edited:
I like Foster, he seems crafty
Of course I have. It’s called poor defense. 7 footer playing defense with your eyes isn’t worth much. Not sure if you knew that
Man he had a hell of help side block with his eyes within 90 seconds of being in. Impressive. Again, you haven’t watched much ball. All good, but you do you and critique a kid after 5 minutes of play.

• Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
Disappointing Schutt didn’t get in at all in a blowout. Hopefully they is some reason for it.
Considering we have 4 elite wings coming in next year...he's got a long road ahead of him. Still, Blakes has carved out a role so who knows. But Blakes plays physical D, and that is what we need right now.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Overall a good first game. We won by nearly 40 so it went the way it should have.

Hopefully Mark can play Friday because we are going to need all hands on deck. Arizona looked damn good last night and they are big. Seems like a perfect game for Mark to mix it up down lown for us.

I know many people don't like the +/- stat, but I do. And the plus minus from last night shows the best were Flip, Proctor--and Foster. He also played the second most minutes, probably due to McCain being in foul trouble.

I really like Foster's game and he will only get better during the season.

Reactions: DBM0828
Honestly we all knew Schutt was behing every person on the roster that is considered PG,SG,SF... I really hate to say that but it's true. I wish he would get minutes, but being a liability on defense will always get you a seat. And not being a creating playmaker/scorer isn't going to result in big minutes either. Very similar to Joey Baker in all regards. (Play styles, catch and shoot, defensive liability at times, minutes on the floor) And if Blakes is playing like that every game, he WILL get 7-12+ minutes every game. And that makes Schutts situation worse... Blakes is our #5 guard in the rotation.

Schutt is odd man out . I’d probably look for him to leave at mid season break ( just my opinion ). His situation gets no different next season.

Reeves needs time to adjust really wish he would have kept his red shirt last season . Young is not the answer at the five and Stewart and Reeves will be needed for rebounding alone.

With out Mitchell , bigger SF’s will give the guards fits .

Team is a work in progress. McCain will settle down but would not be surprised to see him and Fister splitting the starting spot .

I know many people don't like the +/- stat, but I do. And the plus minus from last night shows the best were Flip, Proctor--and Foster. He also played the second most minutes, probably due to McCain being in foul trouble.

I really like Foster's game and he will only get better during the season.
FWIW, I like +/- stat also.

Reactions: Liftee
I feel really bad for Schutt. I watched high school highlights and he was good with the ball, drove to the basket and generally looked like a real find. Now he looks lost except for his shooting. I hate to say this, but he might need a change in scenery, like AOC did with Creighton (I really liked AOC also).

Blakes makes it really interesting, especially if he can be like he was last night, and before he had his nose injury last season. Unless something unfortunate happens, I see Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Flip, McCain and Foster being the main 6, with Young and Blakes/Stewart? being the next ones in line.
Like him or not, Young brings a value to this team, and I find it hard to see Jon not rewarding him at least 10-12 minutes a game.

A few guys will be left out, unless we beat everyone like a rented drum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT