ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fans are so jealous of Duke program

Again, 4 titles post full-integration of collegiate basketball, congrats on that. Duke was the best team last year, sucks for you that you'll hold onto the paper championship.

History is history, it does mean something whether you like it or not. Some of those championships were from a long time ago but they still happened. Do you feel that the title that Duke just win shouldn't count in 35 years from now?

Also, my point was to point out that the Kentucky fan base is jealous of no one. I get that Duke won the title, once again congrats.

Coach K is probably the greatest coach of all time and Duke is a top program no doubt. We are right up there too with Calipari as the coach though.
It's absolutely insulting to see someone compare the careers of Coach K and Calipari and insuate that Calipari is "right up there too." No, absolutely not, and you look absolutely ridiculous even trying to make that argument. 1 title is not even remotely close to 5 titles over 4 decades.

Coach K is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Calipari and always will be. End of discussion.

In the last 10 years Calipari has more wins with less losses, more final fours, more conference championships, more all Americans, more top recruiting classes and more draft picks. Had it not been for the title K just won then they would be even on titles within the past 10 years. So yes in recent history Cal is right up there. Cal is also younger and has less time as a college coach.

False. It's UCLA. Titles are all that matter, and they've got the most.
I don't really agree on this.. Not really sure most of those championships should even count LOL! And cal isn't even remotely close to K and never will be and to say he is is laughable..

In the last 10 years Calipari has more wins with less losses, more final fours, more conference championships, more all Americans, more top recruiting classes and more draft picks. Had it not been for the title K just won then they would be even on titles within the past 10 years. So yes in recent history Cal is right up there. Cal is also younger and has less time as a college coach.
This conversation never had anything to do with the past 10 years. You specifically talked about Coach K probably being the greatest of all time, before insinuating Calipari was "right up there too." Did you mean to say Coach K is probably the greatest of all time of the last 10 years? No, no you didn't.

Calipari is terrific in his own right, but he is nowhere close to Coach K. Again: NOWHERE CLOSE. He isn't now and never will be. That's not me being a homer in the least. I'm looking squarely at facts and statistics. Coach K has 5 titles over 4 decades on his side (not to mention 12 final fours) . Meanwhile, Calipari has 1 title and 6 final fours. Anyone arguing these two coaches are remotely on the same level must be delusional.

Last edited:
History is history, it does mean something whether you like it or not. Some of those championships were from a long time ago but they still happened. Do you feel that the title that Duke just win shouldn't count in 35 years from now?

Also, my point was to point out that the Kentucky fan base is jealous of no one. I get that Duke won the title, once again congrats.

History is history, and the present is the present. And yes, if by some means there becomes a new "opening of racial policy" is collegiate basketball (not possible now really), then we can look back at all of our current titles in question. The Rupp titles really don't mean much, but hey, if it helps you sleep better at night, so be it.

Thanks for congrats. Duke was the best team at their peak and they deserved it.

I meant we are right up there with Duke in the hunt for a title as long as we have Cal. I didn't mean that Cal was up there with K from a career stand point. Obviously Coach K is the greatest college basketball coach ever and Cal is not close to that. In recent history though, Cal has been up there with him. Cal will not win 5 titles or have the career of K but he has had a nice run in the past decade.

Take a deep breath everyone. Think we can all agree the top two programs right now are Duke and UK...not sure it's close. We're both getting the top recruiting classes the last few years. Duke had it last year, can make a case for this year and so can UK. Anyone suggesting that Duke wasn't the best team last year is sour grapes. We can all point to history and say we were the best team in whatever year but unless you have the trophy its a moot point to suggest otherwise- as sickening as that is for a fan, it's the truth. I wish i could say otherwise in 94,99,02,04 and so on.

Bottom line is next year both these teams will reside in the top 10 for the majority of their seasons. It's far from certain, but one can reasonably assume with the amount of talent on both rosters, both will be in the mix. I expect us to both get better from our matchup in the champions classic as the season goes on.

I think, as many do with an objective outlook that K is the greatest coach in our history of CBB. I put him ahead of Wooden for the fact that it's just plain harder to win now and continue to win as he's done for four decades. The game has continued to change year after year- freshman play, 3pt shot, shorter shot clock (2x), shot clock in general, 5 sec rule, OAD, etc. i'm sure i missed a ton, but he's adapted every step of the way and continued to excel.

I meant we are right up there with Duke in the hunt for a title as long as we have Cal. I didn't mean that Cal was up there with K from a career stand point. Obviously Coach K is the greatest college basketball coach ever and Cal is not close to that. In recent history though, Cal has been up there with him. Cal will not win 5 titles or have the career of K but he has had a nice run in the past decade.
You keep changing the point you're trying to make.

Reactions: CatcherForLife6
Tim, I agree with everything you said.

I never changed my point, I have been responding to posts but the point remains the same... Kentucky is right up there with Duke as a program and there is no jealousy.

Tim, I agree with everything you said.

I never changed my point, I have been responding to posts but the point remains the same.
No, the point does not remain the same. You went from this:

Coach K is probably the greatest coach of all time and Duke is a top program no doubt. We are right up there too with Calipari as the coach though.

To this:

To this:

I meant we are right up there with Duke in the hunt for a title as long as we have Cal. I didn't mean that Cal was up there with K from a career stand point.

The only thing consistent about your participation in this thread is your total lack of consistency.

In everything that you quoted me on I said that Cal/UK is right up there with K/Duke. I also admitted Coach K is an all time great and that Cal has not had nor will have the same career but has been up there with K in recent years.

The title of the thread suggests that UK fans are jealous, I listed reasons on why we are not.

I'm not sure what you are trying to point out?

You went from a context of "all time" to the last ten years to the future. That's the inconsistency I've been pointing out.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
I am sure fans of many programs are jealous of Duke. The majority of those fans will never admit it.

Right now, there is no better program to be a fan of IMO. But that is my opinion. I like to point out our two championships over the past 6 years while fans of other teams may like to point out our first round losses to Lehigh and Mercer. We enjoy being on top just like other fans enjoy being on top. Let's just enjoy it while we can and when the time comes where Duke is not on top, I will not be jealous of the ones that are.

On another note. What is this crap about Duke's 5 championships coming from one man? Does that make them meaningless?

1991 was 24 years ago. I have no doubt that a large number of posters on this board were alive in 1991. You have to go back 57 years to reach 5 championships for Kentucky. How is that more impressive than Duke's success?

There is definitely some sour grapes going on, but I don't think it is jealousy. It is not like they do not have plenty to be proud of right now.

I am a little sick of KY would beat Duke talk and Paper Champions talk. We were in the final game in 2010 and 2015. It is not our fault they did not make it. Both times they had an opportunity to play us and could not seal the deal. Talk is cheap, and all they can do is talk about those two years.

On another note. What is this crap about Duke's 5 championships coming from one man? Does that make them meaningless?

1991 was 24 years ago. I have no doubt that a large number of posters on this board were alive in 1991. You have to go back 57 years to reach 5 championships for Kentucky. How is that more impressive than Duke's success?

That's the argument I use with UNC fans that wanted to talk about UNC having 1 more title than Duke before we won #5...Duke won their 5 titles over a 24 year period but it took UNC 52 years to win their 5 titles.

There is definitely some sour grapes going on, but I don't think it is jealousy. It is not like they do not have plenty to be proud of right now.

I am a little sick of KY would beat Duke talk and Paper Champions talk. We were in the final game in 2010 and 2015. It is not our fault they did not make it. Both times they had an opportunity to play us and could not seal the deal. Talk is cheap, and all they can do is talk about those two years.
We would have beaten them in 2010 and quite possibly this year as well. What makes UK fans UK fans is their complete lack of awareness that the reason they're the most despised fanbase in the country isn't because they win but because of how they lose.

Reactions: hoosier48
We would have beaten them in 2010 and quite possibly this year as well. What makes UK fans UK fans is their complete lack of awareness that the reason they're the most despised fanbase in the country isn't because they win but because of how they lose.

Coming from a UK fan.....love it!!

My ages for each of our titles were 14, 15, 24, 33 and 38. Hopefully I'll be 39 when we win our next title.

That first title is what first created my awareness of Duke. After that I kept learning more and it became my dream school.

KYford, I thought UK was the best team as well, but Duke did beat the team that UK lost to. (twice last year, including on their court) So I am not sure it is as cut and dry as some think.

Duke best the team that knocked out UK both years. Anyone saying UK definitively would have beat Duke forgets that important piece of info. If Duke can beat the team that knocked UK out, wouldn't it stand to reason that Duke could also beat UK?

Ah, yes, the end justifies the means.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I went over there and read some of the threads and some of their posters are actually pretty funny (in a sick way). I almost have to appreciate how much they blindly believe in their team. I also love how anytime Duke wins many of them blame it on - Refs, Easy Schedule in Tourney, UK being out etc. Can't teach that kind of homerism/hate. Some of their posters try and point out how blind they're being in their UK shades of blue glasses but it's impossible. Stick to your guns i guess, and provide us with tons of laughs.

My favorites are the last two championships- "UK would have DEFINITELY smoked Duke that year, no question about it, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot." Now how can you argue those facts boys? You're right! I guess i'll just look up at the banner and thank my lucky stars. #paperchamps2010. 2015- "Duke got the easiest draw in the tourney ever, it's fixed for K and duke, they dont even have to play anyone until the final game......and we would have KILLED Duke."- another post littered with facts and unbiased logic. Funny considering they all had Iowa State coming out of that bracket. But i'm sure it's Duke's fault they lost too.

If you as a fan base are hanging your hat on the wolda coulda shoulda's.....welp i'm sorry for you guys.

In 2014 Louisville beat UConn 3 times, Kentucky beat Louisville 2 times and yet UConn beat Kentucky in the title game. So Duke beating Wisconsin doesn't necessarily mean anything, sometimes it's just about matchups. BTW I will admit in 2014 that neither UConn or Kentucky were the best team, Florida was.

Give it up guys no one is better then Kentucky, best team in history, best program in history. Kentucky was better then Duke, better then Wisconsin to, that's what the idiots from BBN think, that's why ever other schools fans hate them.

That's not true, I just said that in 2014 we did not have the best team nor did we in 2013. In 2012 we had the best team and in 2011 we went to the Final 4 by beating 2 teams that were better than us(Ohio State,UNC)

Duke had the best team last year - your desperation is comical, however.
Desperation? Lol, the whole college season last year was centered around the Pursuit of Perfection, Towns overtook Okafor as the top pick and Kentucky set a NCAA record for wins. Not to mention the record setting defense the Cats had. Sorry that I won't back down from defending my team. They lost and they shouldn't have, it happens. To win a championship is rare and takes a little luck to go along with a really good team. Duke won the title so you should be happy, we may have choked but don't go and act like UK wasn't a really good team.

It is amazing what Coach K. did with 8 players. All these years we have questioned his 8 man rotation. I'm convinced that he is the man for the job and not any of us. But really I can speak only for myself. :D OFC

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Did I say 40 - 0? Also, Kentucky was pretty damn close to that this past year.

Keep laughing... Kentucky leads the NCAA in wins and has 8 Championships. All of Duke's titles have come from one man. Kentucky has had 5 different coaches win championships and has competed at a high level in every decade. There is no jealousy here.

Who cares how many coaches won them? By that logic its better to be Kansas and have 3 National Titles (won by three different coaches) than to be Duke with 5 National Titles (won by one coach) i think I'll take 5 thanks. Kentucky's had at least six head coaches in the time span Duke has had just one coach. Hell, Duke hasn't had a chance in almost 40 years to win it with another coach. Lol

Desperation? Lol, the whole college season last year was centered around the Pursuit of Perfection, Towns overtook Okafor as the top pick and Kentucky set a NCAA record for wins. Not to mention the record setting defense the Cats had. Sorry that I won't back down from defending my team. They lost and they shouldn't have, it happens. To win a championship is rare and takes a little luck to go along with a really good team. Duke won the title so you should be happy, we may have choked but don't go and act like UK wasn't a really good team.

KY was a really good team last year, but don't pretend like KY would have been unbeaten had they been in the ACC. Even your rational posters at RR admit KY would have probably had a loss or two had they not played an SEC conference schedule.

Also, losing 1 game in the Final 4 does not mean that Kentucky wasn't the best team. Duke was the 2nd best team and you can't convince me otherwise. The difference to me is the depth, we had 9 or 10 deep while you had 8 scholarship players. We had 4 lottery picks on that team and had a great year other than one game. You cannot win every single game, things happen.

You're not factoring in all the aspects that make up a "team." Talent helps a team a lot, but talented players don't draw up the right plays, make the right preparation decisions (like...I don't know....maybe watching some game film on your Final 4 opponent given you have 5 days to prepare....just a thought), knowing who should have the ball in a certain scenario, matchup decisions, and keeping your players in the right state of mind throughout the game.

Duke was not the most talented team in 2010, but they had the best decision-maker on (Scheyer) and off (Coach K) the court. Top to bottom, Duke wasn't the most talented team in 2014. However, I'd take 2014 Duke's starting 5 over any other team's starting 5 including KY's starting 5 (see: Twins, Harrison).

Like Honkey T said, talent does not equal team. KY had the most overall talent, but not the best team. "Teams" consist of talent, chemistry, coaching, and a few other aspects. Duke had the best overall "team." KY had the best overall talent, which is just an aspect of what makes up a team.

Sorry, but Cal hurts KY's teams. He's a great recruiter. Until K's recent success, I'd have said Cal is the best recruiter in the game. He may still be, but I don't really care about who has the best recruiting class b/c talent alone won't win you a championship. If I had to pick one coach other than Coach K to coach Duke in a big game, Cal doesn't even make my list. At his best, Cal is an average coach when it comes to Xs and Os. If I ever need a recruiter, I'd consider Cal, but never for preparation, strategy, or Xs and Os.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT