ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fans are so jealous of Duke program

Rocketman101

Cameron Crazy
Apr 25, 2006
Duke has took over on Rupp message board, all they talk about is Duke. They are so jealous, because we are the top program, they better get use to it.

Reactions: pisgah101
Seeing this post made me curious so I went to their message board and found several hilarious quotes... similar to THR.

Topic:
I Think The Coaches For USA Team Should Rotate Every Year
kyboy1998 said
"I have a feeling some here are a little less concerned about "Merica" and a little more concerned about recent and upcoming penis envy with Duke.

It was all good until these two most recent titles and the upcoming potential package deals in the 16 and 17 classes."

Topic:
duke is going to have "chemistry" problems
ArmyWildcats1981 said:
"K is ruining basketball with his hired one year mercenaries. I hate his one and done NBA factory."

It's comical how they keep saying Coach K is ruining college/high school basketball because of the OAD/reclassifying... uhhhhhhh you're kidding, right? Look in the mirror. Cal did/does the exact same thing?

I guess that's what you get when you marry your cousin. (Too far?)

I read that thread but I do have to give props to the ones who have common sense and solid B Ball knowledge who called out their own nutbag fans for acting like jealous chumps. I have to admit though since JT committed yesterday RR and THR have been LOONY with the Duke hate. Man there are some head shaking comments on both sites....but I have to admit it is very enjoyable to read.

So are UNC and KU fans. Three beheamoths of college basketball, three gigantic schools, jealous and downright terrified of Duke.

Seeing this post made me curious so I went to their message board and found several hilarious quotes... similar to THR.

Topic:

Topic:

ArmyWildcats1981 said:
"K is ruining basketball with his hired one year mercenaries. I hate his one and done NBA factory."

It's comical how they keep saying Coach K is ruining college/high school basketball because of the OAD/reclassifying... uhhhhhhh you're kidding, right? Look in the mirror. Cal did/does the exact same thing?

I guess that's what you get when you marry your cousin. (Too far?)
They are poking fun at all the people, including some Duke fans, who claim OADs are ruining college hoops. They are not serious about Duke and Coach K "ruining" anything.

Ran into a KY fan in the Ft Lauderdale airport last week. He saw me coming and pointed to his t-shirt. As I got beside him I said mine says national champions on it, does yours? And then there was silence. I guess his couldve said paper champions...,

OFC

Funny how they complain about Coach K coaching the national team, but they ignore the fact that a bunch of other college coaches actually coach the high school players, and technically have more access to them than he does. They also ignore the fact that Cal gave Towns a spot over an NBA player on the national team he coached.

Funny how they complain about Coach K coaching the national team, but they ignore the fact that a bunch of other college coaches actually coach the high school players, and technically have more access to them than he does. They also ignore the fact that Cal gave Towns a spot over an NBA player on the national team he coached.

+ The fact that K's amazing record of success pre-national team (3 national titles and 10 final fours) was the reason he got the job in the first place. While I don't doubt the national team position has helped on the margins, it's not as if we weren't getting elite guys before -- and, if anything, the national team probably hurt us a bit more early on when K was recruiting less than his competitors without the offsetting benefit of positive recognition from NBA guys (i.e., in the 2006-2008 timeframe pre-China olympics). I think the biggest change now is that (i) we are more willing to recruit elite one-and-done type players b/c we've finally come to terms with the fact that Duke can't win like Duke wants without those guys; and (ii) we have more elite players coming through the program b/c there's so much more turnover (i.e., rather than recruit 1 Grant Hill every 4 years, we now must recruit 1 Grant Hill each year).

Reactions: CatcherForLife6
Anyone see this tweet by Calipari about Aaron Harrison getting picked up? I had to chuckle a little:
How bout @AaronICE2 making Charlotte?! He will be in that league for a long time. Last season just officially ended!!!

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think it's more to it than being just jealous. They have become obsessed with the fact that from top to bottom in all facets of the game our program is better. They have a lot in common with UNC nation. In fact to me one's 6 and the other is a half dozen. I sill would pull for UK over UNC any day though. I don't care if the UNC athletic program hit rock bottom and they were cellar dwellers in every sport I would still pull against them. As for UK just think about the melt down there if Cal left them. OFC

Don't think they're jealous so much as upset we 'stole' their title last year and that our recruiting is really impacting the guys they're getting. They're very proud of having the 'best recruiter in the game' but they can't say that with a straight face anymore. I think most would agree that Coach K is a better strategist and X's & O's coach than Cal. If he's now getting better talent, where does that leave UK? No place those fans want to admit.

Reactions: Neue Regel
Don't think they're jealous so much as upset we 'stole' their title last year and that our recruiting is really impacting the guys they're getting. They're very proud of having the 'best recruiter in the game' but they can't say that with a straight face anymore. I think most would agree that Coach K is a better strategist and X's & O's coach than Cal. If he's now getting better talent, where does that leave UK? No place those fans want to admit.

Funny seeing this coming from a UK fan! LOL

And yes, they're jealous.

I've posted at KY rivals for many years. It's one of the best boards to talk hoops since it's so active with a lot of good insight and I really appreciate the Kentucky passion for the same sport that I have such a passion for. It's great and there are many great fans over there. With that said, no question there's a percentage that is absolutely butt hurt over Duke winning the 2015 National Championship and that percentage has yet to recover from it.

I've posted at KY rivals for many years. It's one of the best boards to talk hoops since it's so active with a lot of good insight and I really appreciate the Kentucky passion for the same sport that I have such a passion for. It's great and there are many great fans over there. With that said, no question there's a percentage that is absolutely butt hurt over Duke winning the 2015 National Championship and that percentage has yet to recover from it.

Just a heads up: unlike on many other Rivals forums, the term 'butt hurt' is not overused here on Devils Illustrated.

Reactions: CatcherForLife6
So are UNC and KU fans. Three beheamoths of college basketball, three gigantic schools, jealous and downright terrified of Duke.
Nobody is terrified of duke. Certainly not UK.

There are some chicken littles who are freaking out. Happens every year. 2016 UK and duke will have the best classes no doubt.

Reactions: DukeDenver
With the addition of Jamal Murray I believe UK now has a better class coming in than Duke.

Skal, Briscoe, Murray, Matthews, Mulder

Why would we be jealous of you when we have those guys coming in? Ulis, Lee and Poythress are all returning as well.

Did I say 40 - 0? Also, Kentucky was pretty damn close to that this past year.

Keep laughing... Kentucky leads the NCAA in wins and has 8 Championships. All of Duke's titles have come from one man. Kentucky has had 5 different coaches win championships and has competed at a high level in every decade. There is no jealousy here.

Keep laughing... Kentucky leads the NCAA in wins and has 8 Championships. All of Duke's titles have come from one man. Kentucky has had 5 different coaches win championships and has competed at a high level in every decade. There is no jealousy here.

Close only counts in horseshoes, every season same old story Kentucky fans talking garbage, Wisconsin beat you, Notre Dame should have, you played in a joke SEC, you got few months to come up with a new excuse when Duke beats you.

With the addition of Jamal Murray I believe UK now has a better class coming in than Duke.

Skal, Briscoe, Murray, Matthews, Mulder

Why would we be jealous of you when we have those guys coming in? Ulis, Lee and Poythress are all returning as well.
The most commonly used reference for class rankings is RSCI. Per that, both our 2014 and 2015 classes were better than UK's. https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/the-winners/2015-winners

You guys have a good shot at 2nd place in 2016 if Cal can get his mojo back. ;-)

Skal is ranked higher than anyone you have, and your highest ranked guy(ingram) needs to put on some serious weight to be an impact player for you. The kid is a string bean and we be pushed around. Murray is a top 10 guy and most sites haven't updated the rankings to include him with the 2015 class. Then you have Briscoe who isn't far behind talent wise from your incoming point guard, and obviously Charles Matthews is a talented wing.

You can talk about the SEC but the Cats played a very tough non conference schedule and destroyed everyone. We didn't have any blow out losses at home to teams like Miami, the best team didn't win the championship this year. It happens, congrats on the title.

I look forward to the upcoming game as well.

So wait a sec, Skal is 4 inches taller than Ingram yet a whopping 15 or so pounds separates them? Lol, your desperation is comical.

Again, that same desperation to "match" the Duke recruits, along with the fact that K is at least twice the coach as Kal, makes Duke the superior team yet again.

And seriously, stop bringing up the titles that UK has from pre-true integration of collegiate basketball.

Do any of you remember that S.I. cover back in the 90's I believe that had a Kentucky player with his back to the camera and written across the back of the jersey was "SHAME". Am I imaging this? I didn't know they had a basketball player there whose last name was Shame.. OFC

what does this "your championships have all come from one man" crap mean? I hear it all the time from opposing fans as a way to say Duke won't be good when K leaves but all it really is is grasping at straws HOPING that's what happens but honestly deep down you all know it won't. If UK didn't play a joke sched last year and go into the tourney undefeated people woulda took off the blinders and realized Duke was the best team all year. Also not believing our class coming in is better is delusional. All the UK fans are still ticked about not getting Luke which is who you all wanted most of all. After Nov when we beat you again how will you be acting? Wait I already have it..."I know one thing they better hope they get a cupcake tourney road and we get knocked out again so they can win a ship" hahahaha stay in your delusional world

KYFord,

Coach K and Duke have won a title in 4 different decades. That is some serious sustained success. One coach or not.

Now as far as recruiting classes go, I do think UK;s class got a whole lot better with the addition of Murray. Skal could be the top pick in the next draft and with Briscoe and Newman also coming in, that is a heck of a class. I think a clear argument can be made for UK and thier class being tops. However, Duke's class is pretty darn good as well. UK fans should not have anything to be jealous about in regards to Duke, but that does not stop some from getting sour grapes.

Skal is ranked higher than anyone you have, and your highest ranked guy(ingram) needs to put on some serious weight to be an impact player for you. The kid is a string bean and we be pushed around. Murray is a top 10 guy and most sites haven't updated the rankings to include him with the 2015 class. Then you have Briscoe who isn't far behind talent wise from your incoming point guard, and obviously Charles Matthews is a talented wing.

You can talk about the SEC but the Cats played a very tough non conference schedule and destroyed everyone. We didn't have any blow out losses at home to teams like Miami, the best team didn't win the championship this year. It happens, congrats on the title.

We didn't have a blowout loss in the national title game did we? It's one thing to bring in the number one recruiting class year after year, but it's another thing to actually be able to coach them to a championship.

OFC

Reactions: mbdfan

The best team did win imo. Duke was a juggernaut after they got their chemistry in order. The only real weakness the Blue Devils had was lack of depth with relying on only 8...but that only showed up when games were back to back (or foul problems)...such as the ACC Tournament. Duke totally destroyed NC State, but I felt fatigue played a big part in the loss the next day. I was actually relieved so they could be rested for the NCAA's.

The Duke players were never afraid on the big stage and I wasn't ever scared of playing UK. The Wildcats were extremely good, but they had a horseshoe up their azz when it came to winning 39 games in a row. As with all horseshoes...they eventually fall out.

OFC

KYFord,

Coach K and Duke have won a title in 4 different decades. That is some serious sustained success. One coach or not.

Now as far as recruiting classes go, I do think UK;s class got a whole lot better with the addition of Murray. Skal could be the top pick in the next draft and with Briscoe and Newman also coming in, that is a heck of a class. I think a clear argument can be made for UK and thier class being tops. However, Duke's class is pretty darn good as well. UK fans should not have anything to be jealous about in regards to Duke, but that does not stop some from getting sour grapes.

This is a good post and I get what you are saying. I am not completely diminishing the success of the Duke program. I am pointing out reasons for Kentucky fans not to be jealous and if you are looking at the best program in history then it's Kentucky. I mentioned UK having 5 different coaches win titles because it shows the deep history that the program has.

Coach K is probably the greatest coach of all time and Duke is a top program no doubt. We are right up there too with Calipari as the coach though. Four Final 4s and a title in the last 6 years is a very good run for any program.

As far as the recruiting class, you could make a case for both to be the top class. Obviously I favor our class being a Kentucky fan, but either way why would I be jealous if we have a class just as good?

Kentucky basketball is part of life for us in this state, every single game is sold out and we have really good players that want to play here. We are in the mix for a title run mostly every year and that's all you can ask for.

Also, losing 1 game in the Final 4 does not mean that Kentucky wasn't the best team. Duke was the 2nd best team and you can't convince me otherwise. The difference to me is the depth, we had 9 or 10 deep while you had 8 scholarship players. We had 4 lottery picks on that team and had a great year other than one game. You cannot win every single game, things happen.

Congrats on the title though, Duke got it done and Kentucky didn't. That is all that matters in the end. My point is that there is no jealousy of the Duke program or any other program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT