ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS ST. JOHN'S OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Reactions: tedmon23
Coach K needs to do something, got to get this teams attention. Whatever he is doing isn’t working.

Last edited:
It's called venting idiot. Everyone doesn't have a desire to be friends with people on a message board and invite them to their house. I have better things to do than to spend all day, everyday, on a message board.

And you're right. You don't get off pretending to be a Duke fan. You get off on pretending to be a tough guy. The only thing that does is highlight how insecure of a man you are. You try to be a bully on a message board for crying out loud. Grow up.

Now back to Duke basketball.

I'm sorry I didn't invite you to my house, stop by man. Why is it when you show up here after a loss, the only time, when I call you out for saying something stupid like " lower your expectations for K" suddenly I'm trying to be a "tough guy" ?

Great postgame quote by K: "The basketball gods understand, in most cases, who should win. We got what we deserved."

Reactions: germantondevil
I'm sorry I didn't invite you to my house, stop by man. Why is it when you show up here after a loss, the only time, when I call you out for saying something stupid like " lower your expectations for K" suddenly I'm trying to be a "tough guy" ?
I want to come to your house and watch a game...I’ll bring the beer...

Reactions: Showenuff
glad to hear the distress in Coaches voice and comments. Typically he gives all the credit to the other team, but today he has concerns for his group. Definitely not the group we are used to seeing play.
With some off his quotes it will be interesting to see if the starting lineup changes. Probably tough to do with the next game being unx but I would assume it would get the teams attention.

Reactions: germantondevil
Do you think freshmen destined to be 4-year college players do any better? I don't. Long after I had passed my Dad in size, strength, and pretty much every measure of physical ability, he could still outwork me. It wasn't that I could've but chose otherwise; I lacked the mental strength and know-how.

We need to stop acting like things like this have anything to do with heart or character.
I don’t quite understand what you’re getting at. Can I have the straightforward version?

Well, I'm probably not going to say anything that will take the sting of this loss away, but I sure am disappointed in some of the posts I've read. Folks, let's deal with a little reality here: Any time you play a team as scrappy as St. Johns (forget the record), and you let them stay in the game, and they beat you to every loose ball, and then on top of that, they hit a few shots which in turn snowballs to where they can't miss, guess what! Most of the time a veteran team can't overcome it, let alone a young team.
Over the years, I've seen this happen many times (and so have you), including top ranked teams. It is what it is, and all we can hope for is that this team learns from this.
This is our team, they are 19-4, and they are going to get better, you can bank on it!
For better or worse, I'm going to ride it out with them because I really believe they will learn from these situations.
Hang in there, the best is yet to come.
Go Duke!
OFC

I don’t quite understand what you’re getting at. Can I have the straightforward version?
Maybe he's saying just because a kid is a one and done doesn't mean he has no heart or character. Or a guy with less talent has more.

It's not sudden. It's your whole style. And it's not only with me. I know what you are made of so I don't take you seriously. As I have gotten older, I have known more and more guys like you. Honestly, I just feel bad for you.

Let these posters vent however they want. It's their outlet.

Reactions: pisgah101
Duval is frustrating, but we gotta ride him, I still think he will become more consistent. Gary shot well but didn’t have a great defensive game. Grayson I just don’t know anymore, he needs to be more aggressive. This was Bagley/Carter’s worst game as a combo.

Marques looked terrific on defense, but SJ wasn’t even guarding him on the other end.

They got every loose ball, our guards did a TERRIBLE job boxing out.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
Well, that was a fun game. I had something earlier in the day and couldn’t watch until later.

1. Yuck. Our offense, which a month ago was dominant, is pretty bad right now. The only reason we had a lead at halftime is because we shot so well.

2. Free throws. It is what it is. We’re a bad free throw shooting team, in general. Grayson missed multiple one’s today and as a team we again missed the front-end three times. Prayer is our only chance here.

3. St. John’s is a really bad team. Ponds was outstanding, but they’re still a bad team. We’re a team that has the potential to be good, but we’re not close right now.

4. We stand and watch. A lot. On offense. On defense. Pretty much whatever we’re doing we’re watching. We got some stops late but St. John’s won every 50/50 ball and it resulted in probably four or five extra possessions.

5. K’s comment after the game about the basketball gods is pretty much spot on. I mean, there really isn’t one thing that cost us today....it was a lot of things. Defense, offense, turnovers, free throws, mental toughness, etc. What else am I missing?

6. We won’t beat UNC next Thursday playing like that. In fact, if we play twice as well as today it still won’t be close. Now, I expect better intensity and overall better play. I think we’ll win, but I’ve never thought it would be easy.

7. Drinking can be your friend. I’m going to go make a friend right now.

I don't agree w/ the apparent insinuation that these things happen b/c they're thinking about what kind of car they're going to buy in June when they ought to be focused on the game they're playing now.

Simpler... pretty much every type freshman -- OAD or 4-year guys -- hits a wall, and it's as much about mental strength and maturity as being worn out physically. Too often we assume it's about effort, or heart, which are judgments about guys' characters.

It's like mental health. When someone has leukemia we don't hold it against them. Someone is schizophrenic? We have anger and resentment toward them. An alarmingly unathletic guy gets beat off the dribble and we cast blame elsewhere b/c we get that he can't stay in front of a quick opponent. A really talented 19-year-old in his first season has a moment of uncertainty b/c of quick ball movement and a good screen and a bunch of crowd noise and all of a sudden we start accusing him of having one foot out the door and not caring about Duke.

I hate a loss as much as anybody. This one had all the makings of an upset, most notably an underachieving opponent with nothing to lose on their home court with a national audience. Heck even I could get a team jacked up for that scenario.

Gotta hand it to them though. SJ played very well in the second half. The “street ball” that folks spoke about was exactly what they played to kick our butts. We kinda sleep walked thru it. We had a chance to win it late but SJ hit a couple big shots and most of their free throws. We did not. I thought Allen and Bagley faded into the background in the second half when we needed them most.

I am rarely one to question K but I just dontnundeatand on that last possession when we were down three and struggling to find a shot, why didn’t he call the timeout?

Oh well. Non conference game, whatever. Yes it’s a bad loss, but let’s shake it off and get the job done on Thursday.

Reactions: Dattier
It's not sudden. It's your whole style. And it's not only with me. I know what you are made of so I don't take you seriously. As I have gotten older, I have known more and more guys like you. Honestly, I just feel bad for you.

Let these posters vent however they want. It's their outlet.

You know what I'm made of? I know what you're full of. You haven't changed since you've gotten older, you're still the guy who likes to show up and poke when fans are upset. It's your thing , I get it. I liked the Dattier comment about how you use to light him up back in the day, lol, funny , I've never. Seen that happen.

Well, that was a fun game. I had something earlier in the day and couldn’t watch until later.

1. Yuck. Our offense, which a month ago was dominant, is pretty bad right now. The only reason we had a lead at halftime is because we shot so well.

2. Free throws. It is what it is. We’re a bad free throw shooting team, in general. Grayson missed multiple one’s today and as a team we again missed the front-end three times. Prayer is our only chance here.

3. St. John’s is a really bad team. Ponds was outstanding, but they’re still a bad team. We’re a team that has the potential to be good, but we’re not close right now.

4. We stand and watch. A lot. On offense. On defense. Pretty much whatever we’re doing we’re watching. We got some stops late but St. John’s won every 50/50 ball and it resulted in probably four or five extra possessions.

5. K’s comment after the game about the basketball gods is pretty much spot on. I mean, there really isn’t one thing that cost us today....it was a lot of things. Defense, offense, turnovers, free throws, mental toughness, etc. What else am I missing?

6. We won’t beat UNC next Thursday playing like that. In fact, if we play twice as well as today it still won’t be close. Now, I expect better intensity and overall better play. I think we’ll win, but I’ve never thought it would be easy.

7. Drinking can be your friend. I’m going to go make a friend right now.

I've got more friends than you right now: 4 and the team is growing!

Maybe he's saying just because a kid is a one and done doesn't mean he has no heart or character. Or a guy with less talent has more.
Character is a hard thing to judge by watching basketball. I’m not saying anything about our players’ overall character. Heart is too vague. I’m just saying Bagley barely tries on some possessions, and I seriously doubt he’s pushing himself to the limit in practice. If true, I don’t fault him. He’s giving enough effort for someone in his position. I’m not sure about the other frosh. It’s not “life or death” for any of them. They’re all pro material and know it. Kind of hard to play and practice with an edge when you see your name on the draft board. Another point, Gary is doing the same things now as he did earlier in the year, only the shots are going in now. This has raised his stock. Why focus on defense? We’re going to get inconsistent play from these blue chippers. Hopefully they all hike up their shorts and dig in against UNC and in mid March. It would be nice to see better ball movement in the meantime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT