ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
It's here. At least twice a year we get to enjoy this beautiful rivalry. The argument could certainly be made that these games make or break the season if you're a fan of either side. Regardless of your barometer, they're big. Really, really big.

On to the game. As we all know (because you can't turn on Sportscenter without hearing it) that Carolina is many of the pundits pick as the eventual national champ and odds-on favorite. That's why winning tonight's game will be one of the sweetest victories over Carolina since "The Rivers Shot". We've had its number of late winning three straight and seven of the last ten.

Tonight won't be easy. Carolina is favored in Vegas by 6.5 at last check and the of course we're in the Dean Dome. On paper, Carolina should run us over. They've got us in depth, front court play, experience and athleticism. That almost never happens in the rivalry games (82-50 ***cough***), however. We're playing better, have improved defensively and have the ability to get it going from the perimeter. IF we can contain the dribble drive, hit shots from the perimeter and keep the rebounding margin close, we can win this game.

Tonight's game is slated for a 9pm est tip and will air on ESPN HD.

No way I'm picking against us - I think we find a way.

Duke 77

UNC 75

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited for this one and feel confident..with Coach K on the sidelines we can do anything...hoping Ingram and Allen show off..I think this will be a good one and we pull it out 81-78

We've been fortunate and not had severe foul trouble the last few games, but I look for that to end tonight. That's what I'm worried about most. It's going to be hard to get a W at the Dome...but I have to believe that our guys can figure out a way to do it.

Duke 83
UNC 82

Go Duke!!!

OFC

I think foul trouble does us in tonight.

Remember we were down 79-72 with last years team with about a 1:40 left. Somehow they collapsed and Tyus was Superman.

I feel they handle us pretty easily tonight.

UNC 85
Duke 73

I won't say what I really think is going to happen. Let's just find a way to keep them out of the paint. If we hit our shots and stay aggressive we have a puncher's chance.

This is gonna be a tough one. Duke 74 UNC 85. If Jefferson was playing and healthy it would be a great game.

If we have a good shooting night, we win! If not this will be a long night! I think we will! Duke by a bucket! GO DUKE!!!

OFC

Nice to be the underdog against UNC for first time in quite a while. Big time pressure on Heels to beat us & maybe that is an advantage for our boys. If pull this one out, baby blue faithful meltdown will reach epic proportions.

Duke - 81
UNC - 80

They score 40% of their points in the paint. The thought is simple to limit their interior shots, but they obviously are good at doing it and will find a way to make it happen. Duke's best chance is to create turnovers and attack early to get the bugs in foul trouble.

On film maybe the staff has seen something else, but to me that's our best chance at a victory.

Reactions: Laettner
I'm not overly confident in this one. or really confident at all. We are going to have to play our best game of the season. The UNC that almost lost to BC isn't showing up tonight. They are going to be ready for us and we just don't match up that well this year. They score more points than anyone in the paint and we give up almost more than anyone in the paint. Its doable but we are going to have to shoot lights out the whole game and hope Coach K can work the matchups in our favor.

UNC 85
Duke 73

If this were not Duke-Carolina, I'd say UNC 85-Duke 72 in a game that they dominate

Because it is, I'll say UNC 81-Duke 74 in a game that is within 1 or 2 possessions at the under 4 timeout.

I think the key to this game is keeping Ingram and Allen out of foul trouble. jeter and Obi are 10 fouls use them. Duke-77 UNC-76

One general key for Duke is getting to the foul line and making foul shots. ND -- which has a pretty similar offensive approach -- took an astounding 38 FTs against UNC, and made 31. IMO, Duke has to live on the line offensively to have a chance -- partly b/c it simply gives us an easy way to get offense, partly b/c it likely means we're getting some of their bigs in foul trouble, and partly b/c it gives our guys a breather / disrupts the flow of the game. We simply don't have the depth to get a in track meet against UNC. Foul shots stop the game and makes it difficult for UNC to run. Even if we're hot from 3, I don't think that's enough unless Allen / Ingram / Kennard get to the line a lot -- and make a much higher percentage than we did against UVA. Also, need to do far better in the one-on-one situations.

As much as I love Duke (was going to name our first child Cameron if it would have been a girl), I just don't feel good about this game, especially in the Dean Dome. I'm worried about Marshall (lol, Mason, wishful thinking I guess!!) getting into foul trouble and having to rely on Obi and Jeter down low. That's my biggest worry is the paint and how much they score down low. Free throws are another area that really really stresses me out. I do however, believe in K and think the game will be closer than the "experts" predict. As always, with the new baby in the house I will try my damnedest to stay awake for the entire game. LET'S GO DUKE! GTHCGTH

Last edited:
As much as I love Duke (was going to name our first child Cameron if it would have been a girl), I just don't feel good about this game, especially in the Dean Dome. I'm worried about Mason getting into foul trouble and having to rely on Obi and Jeter down low. That's my biggest worry is the paint and how much they score down low. Free throws are another area that really really stresses me out. I do however, believe in K and think the game will be closer than the "experts" predict. As always, with the new baby in the house I will try my damnedest to stay awake for the entire game. LET'S GO DUKE! GTHCGTH
I'm worried about Mason too. Especially if he plays, then I'll know K has the refs in his pocket.

I just want a win and i don't care if it's just one point or not.....We need Thornton to continue to grow and we definitely need Luke to come out of his slump and he CAN NOT have another goose egg...we need to fire on all cylinders....but we do have the GOAT on our sidelines and he has done it before when most thought we were a huge underdog

GTHC!

As much as I want us to beat them so bad that Roy leaves his bench boys on the court again like he did @ FSU, I have a feeling we're going to get ran out of the gym lol.

We usually always play better at the nose dome against them.. I'm ready for tip off this game is so much like Christmas for me it's scary. Go Duke!!

We usually always play better at the nose dome against them.. I'm ready for tip off this game is so much like Christmas for me it's scary. Go Duke!!

Agreed. Though, I would say that this is probably 1 of only 3 or 4 instances in the past 15 years where I feel as if we're entering the Dean Dome with a decidedly weaker team than UNC. The other examples are 06-07 (where we got crushed), 08-09 and 11-12. In 11-12 we obviously pulled the late stunner after largely getting dominated during the 2nd half. In 08-09, we kept it close but could never really get over the hump. In 06-07, the game was a blowout from early in the 2nd half.

With the possible exceptions of 05-06 (in UNC favor) and 11-12 (in Duke's favor), this rivalry really hasn't had as many upsets as you'd think of late. While the games have tended to always be very competitive, the better team does generally have a pretty good trackrecord -- regardless of where the game is being played.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT