ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE NCAA TOURNEY 2ND ROUND OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Again. Tom Izzo and Michigan State in the tourney, AGAIN. I guess the bottom line is, it doesn't matter who they put in front of us, we have to go win games. But man, the NCAA must really love this matchup because without looking, it has to be the school we've played more than any, in the tourney, during Coach K's tenure.

As for the game, this years version of the Spartans isn't one of the better teams Coach Izzo has had at MSU. Before winning its final regular season game at home against Maryland, and then getting the Terps again in the Big 10 tourney as well as a win over Wisconsin, they had been in a tailspin losing four of five. Since, however, they've won four of five with the only loss coming to Purdue in the Big 10 semi's.

The recipe is pretty simple for this Duke team. Play good defense, TAKE CARE OF THE BASKETBALL, and shoot the ball from three with some success. If we can do that, we certainly are the more talented team.

Duke enters today's second round tilt as a -6.5 favorite over the Spartans. I think we win and cover.

Today's game is slated to tip at 5:15pm est and will air on CBS.

Duke 86

Michigan State 74

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limit turnovers and get some rebounds! Be aggressive but don't commit dumb fouls. No score prediction... Just win and advance

Reactions: sheyduke
Bad memories of our last tournament exit. Would not be good if it happened again. I think we win, but it will be a battle. Need to cut down on turnovers. Moore will play but how hobbled will he be? Would like to see a good game from Keels, and for us to pound it inside to our strengths. If we lose today it will be tough to argue the program is trending upwards, great recruiting or not. At least for Duke standards. We need to win this for coach. If we go out next weekend I'll be okay but I HATE first weekend exits, and given our last few years, we need to get to the second weekend. Esp. with the mass NBA exodus coming. There will be nothing worse than One Shining Moment showing Izzo hugging his players after beating us. Let's not allow that to happen.
Duke 76
MSU 72

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Not going to lie I’m super nervous about today. I think Duke should win…but Michigan State will be well coached, rebound well, and play tough.

We absolutely can lose if we try to play finesse and fall in love with jumpers.

We also have a two game losing streak against them…almost like Izzo has figured out Coaches game plan.

Duke 77
State 72

Not going to lie I’m super nervous about today. I think Duke should win…but Michigan State will be well coached, rebound well, and play tough.

We also have a two game losing streak against them…almost like Izzo has figured out Coaches game plan.

Duke 77
State 72
If we lose today there will be no doubt. So let's not lose. Go Duke!

I don't agree with all of the picks starting with Duke 86... I don't think that Izzo is foolish enough to play fast with Duke

I suspect Duke 75. MSU 67

Reactions: christophero
I don't agree with all of the picks starting with Duke 86... I don't think that Izzo is foolish enough to play fast with Duke

I suspect Duke 75. MSU 67
State is #202 in the country in pace of play…

We will be lucky to get to 70 as slow and methodical as they are. If we score into the 80s we will win easily and probably means we created a lot of turnovers…..something that we don’t do.

Reactions: geddoughton23
MSU tried to run and gun with us in 2015 FF and got blown out of the gym. But that was a Duke team firing on all cylinders.

Duke 77
State 72
Who hasn’t figured it out?

Let’s hope the refs let them play - MSU plays 10 guys so a quick whistle will hurt Duke with the short bench.

We just need to win this. Unlike Friday I am completely unconcerned with style points. They could and should play us tough. Survive and advance. Calm before the storm. Gonna go for a hike, get some snacks for the game.

Last edited:
Just got a feeling we win fairly big. The board starts to feel better, and our confidence going into the sweet 16 rises.
Just like St. Mary's haha. I hope you are right. Some hot teams and trendy picks like Kentucky, Iowa and Tenn. are gone, so maybe we're due.

Reactions: Mac9192
I always feel like Izzo has K figured out even though the record heavily favors K.

Duke 71
MI State 64

I wonder if I am alone but I’m having a hard time watching us play in the tournament knowing a loss means the end of an era. I feel like I’m gonna jinx us by watching.

Duke 71
MI State 64

I wonder if I am alone but I’m having a hard time watching us play in the tournament knowing a loss means the end of an era. I feel like I’m gonna jinx us by watching.
You can't jinx them. Maybe if you are at the game and a sneeze during a free throw...but not from home. Try to enjoy the game. Good luck

we need a fast start...a good lead into the first TV TO...5pts or so...set the tone early, dont let MSU get any confidence

so much for a fast start but that missed call on the block/foul was awful. MSU is going to the pick and roll too...lets see if we have figured out how to defend

Yeah our D needs to pick up real quick…so far it’s really bad.

They are playing a lot harder than we are right now.

It’s only a 3 point deficit and I feel really uneasy. MSU came to play and Duke looks paralyzed by fear.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
offensively we cannot get past the perimeter with the dribble....thats where we need a better PG option than Keels

Switch it up! Damn! Go back to it later but change up! They getting what they want

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT