ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS BOSTON COLLEGE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Was able to watch a replay of the game this morning! I was extremely impressed with Hurt! If we can get consistency from Hurt and Baker, then, Duke will be very tough to beat!

This feels like the first team we’ve had in such a very long time that doesn’t depend on star power. It’s a TEAM. It also has the feel that it will steadily improve. As mentioned above, if these perimeter shooters like Hurt, Alex and Baker heat up, the potential feels higher than last year for me. I truly think these kids find their way to the Final Four this year.

This feels like the first team we’ve had in such a very long time that doesn’t depend on star power. It’s a TEAM. It also has the feel that it will steadily improve. As mentioned above, if these perimeter shooters like Hurt, Alex and Baker heat up, the potential feels higher than last year for me. I truly think these kids find their way to the Final Four this year.
I do too

Reactions: skysdad
That’s the beauty of this team. I have no clue who it will be each night. Probability suggests Tre and/or Vern but it wouldn’t shock me if it was Joey, Hurt, Cassius, Or Alex. We have so many weapons on this team that if they ever all put it together in the same game, look out.

I'd like to see how we do preventing quick guards from getting to the basket like SFA did. That will be the true test. Will we have to go to a smaller lineup and lose the advantage of having Hurt and Carey in the game? If we pass that test (and maybe Miami will give us a clue) then I'll be more confident.

I'd like to see how we do preventing quick guards from getting to the basket like SFA did. That will be the true test. Will we have to go to a smaller lineup and lose the advantage of having Hurt and Carey in the game? If we pass that test (and maybe Miami will give us a clue) then I'll be more confident.
Did you not see the VT game?

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Definitely agree with the last couple of posts regarding this teams potential. That said, if anyone heated up from 3 last year, we would have been unbeatable. If Grayson didnt go inexplicably cold...
That said, again, man it is nice having multiple guys being a threat from downtown. We knew going in that we needed good 3 pt shooting from at least 2 of Hurt, Baker, Alex, and Jack and at least respectable 3pt shooting from Tre. So far, so good. Jack and Alex are still too inconsistent. Man, if they heat up, we are playing with the house's money.

I don’t care what anyone says....we are the best team in college basketball. We play defense; we have the best point guard and most dominant big man as well. We have depth. Our coach is actually coaching and not rolling the ball out there. So I don’t see how we are not the best team. We can win games when we don’t shoot well also.

df64 , you’re absolutely right. One consistent 3 point shooter last season and we’d have hung #6.

Reactions: timo0402
Honestly (and we talked about this on the podcast this week) I would like to see both Joey and Alex, on at the same time and in the lineup at the same time. It would open up everything for Vern.

I don’t care what anyone says....we are the best team in college basketball. We play defense; we have the best point guard and most dominant big man as well. We have depth. Our coach is actually coaching and not rolling the ball out there. So I don’t see how we are not the best team. We can win games when we don’t shoot well also.
“Not rolling it out there” - love this cliche. What a joke.

outside of that garbage, I completely agree.

“Not rolling it out there” - love this cliche. What a joke.

outside of that garbage, I completely agree.
Yea just like he did a garbage job against MSU last year, Kansas the year before that, and SFA this year. He did hardly no coaching in some games.

Why stop at those three? Name some other losses to throw your blanket statement over.
Those are the main ones that he definitely get blame for. I know you don’t like to blame him for anything but I will. You won’t change my mind in believing it wasn’t his fault and I won’t change yours. So it was pointless for you to comment on the statement

Those are the main ones that he definitely get blame for. I know you don’t like to blame him for anything but I will. You won’t change my mind in believing it wasn’t his fault and I won’t change yours. So it was pointless for you to comment on the statement
Right another message board cliche- “you don’t blame him for anything”.

I’m happy to go back and forth. But do it with facts or examples not blanket or cliche statements.

Reactions: dukehokie
Why stop at those three? Name some other losses to throw your blanket statement over.
It’s amazing the man (K) has made it so long. If we win, it’s because he’s doing what Dachamp thinks he should, and if he loses, it’s because he didn’t.
Do I agree with everything K does? No. But he’s forgot more about coaching than any of us will ever know.

It’s amazing the man (K) has made it so long. If we win, it’s because he’s doing what Dachamp thinks he should, and if he loses, it’s because he didn’t.
Do I agree with everything K does? No. But he’s forgot more about coaching than any of us will ever know.
Does he make mistakes? Absolutely. Even this week we talked about it on the podcast about last year- probably should have tweaked the offense so it wasn’t solely on RJ or Zion. If K could take back a few years he would- a few years back he even admitted he did an awful job. I’ve got no problem criticizing his Xs and Os.

Reactions: Mac9192
K is the GOAT for a reason. The tweaks he makes to win us games and championships heavily outweigh his missteps. How about the 2015 title game keeping Okafor on the bench and sticking with Amile Jefferson on Kaminsky and keeping Grayson in the game? How about playing Goldwire and Vrank in the ACC tourney last year against UNC for heavy minutes?

My biggest gripes with K, and again he has done much more good than bad.
1. The play we ran with Grayson holding the ball against Kansas in the Elite 8 was a joke. I'll never get over that. They couldn't guard either big or keep Duval in front.
2. The offense last year. In a way, it did feel like K rolled the ball out on the court and wanted our young guys to figure it out.
3. The 2010 title game. WHY DID HE HAVE ZOUBEK PURPOSELY MISS THAT FT AT THE END??? I feel like that doesn't get mentioned enough, we came inches away from blowing that game. You ALWAYS make the FT to go up 3 because you can't lose.

K is the GOAT for a reason. The tweaks he makes to win us games and championships heavily outweigh his missteps. How about the 2015 title game keeping Okafor on the bench and sticking with Amile Jefferson on Kaminsky and keeping Grayson in the game? How about playing Goldwire and Vrank in the ACC tourney last year against UNC for heavy minutes?

My biggest gripes with K, and again he has done much more good than bad.
1. The play we ran with Grayson holding the ball against Kansas in the Elite 8 was a joke. I'll never get over that. They couldn't guard either big or keep Duval in front.
2. The offense last year. In a way, it did feel like K rolled the ball out on the court and wanted our young guys to figure it out.
3. The 2010 title game. WHY DID HE HAVE ZOUBEK PURPOSELY MISS THAT FT AT THE END??? I feel like that doesn't get mentioned enough, we came inches away from blowing that game. You ALWAYS make the FT to go up 3 because you can't lose.
Why he had Z miss that FT is beyond me.

Right another message board cliche- “you don’t blame him for anything”.

I’m happy to go back and forth. But do it with facts or examples not blanket or cliche statements.
Marvin bagley and Zion didn’t touch the ball at the end of both games. We had a lead against Kansas and for some reason we switched from our 2-3 to a 3-2 out of halftime. Against SFA he blantantly didn’t make any changes. We did the same thing defensively all game. We continued to let a team that couldn’t shoot spread us out and get in the paint. We never had anyone back to stop leak outs. Why aren’t you packing it in and making them make jump shots. Those three losses were on him.

Marvin bagley and Zion didn’t touch the ball at the end of both games.

Untrue last year. I don't have time to go back and look at the footage, but I am 99% sure Zion, who MSU had no answer for in the second half had the ball on the three point line, right side of the court. I recall him trying a weak move and then deferring to RJ who got fouled and missed the first FT. I hate that Zion didn't take that last shot.

Water under the bridge though. This year already has been a fun ride, and its barely a third of the way over. Buckle up!

Marvin bagley and Zion didn’t touch the ball at the end of both games. We had a lead against Kansas and for some reason we switched from our 2-3 to a 3-2 out of halftime. Against SFA he blantantly didn’t make any changes. We did the same thing defensively all game. We continued to let a team that couldn’t shoot spread us out and get in the paint. We never had anyone back to stop leak outs. Why aren’t you packing it in and making them make jump shots. Those three losses were on him.

Against SFA, didn't we go zone during one late possession? I believe they buried a 3 against us.

I get what you are saying and K is certainly not above criticism. But when you use the term "just roll out the ball" you are making quite the insult IMO. To just roll out the ball implies that K and staff took the year off, they just sat in their office doing the word jumble. To just roll out the ball implies a sense of laziness, a sense of carelessness, a sense of ego. If that is your true opinion, I guess you are entitled to it. But to me, it is rather offensive. I think disagreeing with specific decisions is a better approach, but again, up to you.

I've thought about the Zoubek intentional miss a million times. I assume that coach K knew that Zoubek was almost as likely to miss as make it (I think he was about 60% or so for the year) so he figured, let's take the guesswork out of it, let's prepare for the miss. It took almost a Herculean shot to beat us and it didn't beat us.

As for Grayson, Coach K will always go with the veteran to get a good shot off. It's worked for him way more often than not. A kinder rim and we wouldn't be spending time on it. That shot still breaks my heart I wanted it so bad for Grayson.

I've thought about the Zoubek intentional miss a million times. I assume that coach K knew that Zoubek was almost as likely to miss as make it (I think he was about 60% or so for the year) so he figured, let's take the guesswork out of it, let's prepare for the miss. It took almost a Herculean shot to beat us and it didn't beat us.

As for Grayson, Coach K will always go with the veteran to get a good shot off. It's worked for him way more often than not. A kinder rim and we wouldn't be spending time on it. That shot still breaks my heart I wanted it so bad for Grayson.
I have no issue with Grayson taking the last shot. My issue was that we held the ball, ran nothing, and let Grayson play 1 on 1 with 5 seconds left. He got zero seperation from his defender and got off a very low percentage shot, which yes almost went in.

I like to look at these situation in the oppositions view, and if I'm a Kansas fan, that's exactly what I'd want Duke to do.
The end of that game was back and forth scoring constantly, both teams were in a good rhythm. We were in the double bonus, Kansas couldn't guard us. A Grayson-Bagley, or Grayson-Carter screen and roll probably would have worked.
We also had a timeout left, I don't see why we wasted it.

Against SFA, didn't we go zone during one late possession? I believe they buried a 3 against us.

I get what you are saying and K is certainly not above criticism. But when you use the term "just roll out the ball" you are making quite the insult IMO. To just roll out the ball implies that K and staff took the year off, they just sat in their office doing the word jumble. To just roll out the ball implies a sense of laziness, a sense of carelessness, a sense of ego. If that is your true opinion, I guess you are entitled to it. But to me, it is rather offensive. I think disagreeing with specific decisions is a better approach, but again, up to you.
Y’all really take that phrase to heart smh. I obviously don’t mean he just give them the ball and they have zero structure. Smh. Compared to how we play this year, we just rolled the ball out there and let them do what they wanted offensively. Come on man. Y’all see one thing and it’s get immediately offended like you’re Coach K

Untrue last year. I don't have time to go back and look at the footage, but I am 99% sure Zion, who MSU had no answer for in the second half had the ball on the three point line, right side of the court. I recall him trying a weak move and then deferring to RJ who got fouled and missed the first FT. I hate that Zion didn't take that last shot.

Water under the bridge though. This year already has been a fun ride, and its barely a third of the way over. Buckle up!
Zion did not touch the ball enough towards the end of that game last year. We should’ve gone to him every time down the floor. There was no creativity getting him the ball in the post towards then end at all

Zion did not touch the ball enough towards the end of that game last year. We should’ve gone to him every time down the floor. There was no creativity getting him the ball in the post towards then end at all
You should watch the game again.

You should watch the game again.
Zion had one shot attempt in the last 6:44 of the game. You see how easy we got the ball to Vernon against Michigan state? You mean to tell me we couldn’t draw something up to get Zion the ball? Then don’t get me started with Kansas game in the Elite 8

In other news, would someone like to be the backup for the Gameball polls to @BluePhil? I think he has been busy with some things that keep him away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT