ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram

The only curve ball tonight is gonna be the one that hits the tar holes square in the chin. Take that to the bank.

I sure as hell hope so. They are already trying to soften the blow over there by claiming they would rather have a few other guys anyhow. Saying things like "I almost hope we don't get Ingram. Who wants a kid that will be chucking up 30 shots a game using us for his NBA audition?" Loll.

I sure as hell hope so. They are already trying to soften the blow over there by claiming they would rather have a few other guys anyhow. Saying things like "I almost hope we don't get Ingram. Who wants a kid that will be chucking up 30 shots a game using us for his NBA audition?" Loll.

they would be saying that until they allegedly land him and try and throw it in our face.

To add a twist on the old Trix commercials...silly tarheels, ballers are for Duke!

Reactions: Neners
Given all of the positive information I've been hearing I would be absolutely shocked if he ended up anywhere but Durham and I'm never very confident going into a high profile recruit's announcement.

Reactions: pisgah101
Over on the Heels board the report is that BI has faxed his letter of intent into Duke and already called Roy to give him the bad news. Take it for what is worth. I for one hate it. He is a big get for either school.

Will the announcement be on television? ESPNU? If not, I'm sure it will be streamed online by someone.

Well, I don't know anything about the Ingram announcement today.

But I did hear it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that Duke just won their 5th National Championship!
99% sure that's just a rumor.

Reactions: Showenuff
So if he doesn't choose UNC does anyone think that's a good indication that the NCAA is going to lay the hammer down on them?

No, I think the availability of playing time / trackrecord of producing NBA players at the 3/4 position is far more important than the NCAA issue at this point. Also, to the extent that the NCAA issue has played a role (obviously delaying his decision), I think it's the uncertainty of the unknown that is creating the problems. I find it inconceivable that Roy would leak anything like that to a recruit -- i.e., why in the world would they shoot their own foot like that if they don't have to.

Reactions: mbdfan

Because that shirt was at the top of his drawer of clean clothes? Lol. Maybe he was trying to give everyone a sneak preview of his college decision, but doubt it. I was not recruited to play sports, but I did get admitted to a number of different schools for law school and received some free shirts / swag when I visited. I still wear them from time-to-time.

With that said, people on twitter are going a little crazy b/c Ingram supposedly has started following a bunch of KU guys. No idea if that's true or if it means anything. I'd guess it's either unintentional or intentionally geared towards manufacturing some suspense. We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would rather him go to Kansas than any other of his options (Besides Duke of course). He would leave the ACC so we wouldn't have to play against him. And he would turn down UNC, NCSU, and UK. All of which I don't care for at all and their fans would just be annoying about it. I have said it before and will say it again: I already like our team for next year, with or without BI. But he would be a great bonus, and would put us in the Top 5 convo to begin the season.

Reactions: youngman42
Obviously I would love for him to come to Duke but if he doesn't it will mean more burn for other guys and I am crazy excited about our other guys. I'm not sweating it either way. I am looking forward to watching K work his magic with or without him. He seems like a great kid and I wish him the best wherever he decides to go.

I honestly believe UNC would be better with him going somewhere else. Maybe I'm underestimating him but they have a good enough team to win a title and the roster is full of guys who will have worked hard for that run.

I know all of us Duke fans love 1 and dones now...even though most of us found it easy to rip Cal a few years ago...but there are times they don't make a team better in March when they have less on the line then players on the bench. Just my opinion of course. Duke 2010 might not win a title if Wall picks Duke...I honestly believe that.

I honestly believe UNC would be better with him going somewhere else. Maybe I'm underestimating him but they have a good enough team to win a title and the roster is full of guys who will have worked hard for that run.

I know all of us Duke fans love 1 and dones now...even though most of us found it easy to rip Cal a few years ago...but there are times they don't make a team better in March when they have less on the line then players on the bench. Just my opinion of course. Duke 2010 might not win a title if Wall picks Duke...I honestly believe that.

It's entirely context-specific. I agree that UNC is probably not going to be that harmed by losing out on Ingram b/c at some point there is a point of diminishing returns where the marginal benefit of added talent is offset by a loss in continuity / role definition when you're circulating 10 guys. With that said, if you recruit the right kids, I don't buy the notion that there are one-and-dones who have less on the line than the rest of the kids. If anything, I think these one-and-done kids sometimes have more on the line b/c (i) they only have 1 shot at the NCAAs; and (ii) their draft stock can often fluctuate significantly base on how they perform (as we saw with Tyus and Justice who both made a lot of money during this NCAA tourney). We may have lost b/c Jabari / Hood played poorly last year -- but there's isn't a doubt in my mind that those two wanted to win as badly as everyone else on the team.

IMO, the major risk with building a team around one-an-dones is that their talent level far exceeds their experience and maturity-levels and it's hard to know how they'll handle the pressure / stage / increased intensity of the NCAAs. The 13-14 team regularly crumbled under the weight of pressure b/c, while those two were great for 35 minutes a night, they habitually didn't play like stars down the stretch of the games and that seemed to unsettle the entire team. What cause that? Who knows. I think they were just too young / inexperienced to lead a Duke team. The big differences between the 2014 group and the ones who've struggled IMO is that (i) we had a sr. who was a star player; (ii) the OADs on this squad were unusually mature; and (iii) no one player was required to carry the scoring load on any given night. IMO, the beauty of last year's squad was that we had so many options that we could withstand a bad game by 1 or 2 of our OAD players -- whether it be Jah in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, Tyus in the 3rd round, Justise / Okafor in the title game My takeaway from the 11-12 or 13-14 seasons, IMO, is that you can't expect a OAD to perform like a Sr. Christian Laettner, Sr. Grant Hill, or a Sr. Shane Battier -- i.e., be great or close to great on a night-in, night-out basis. The fundamental problem with the 11-12 and 13-14 teams was that both squads were very susceptible to an upset on nights when anyone of our OADs struggled --- and I think they all carried the pressure of that as well.

Last edited:
If UNC gets Ingram I think they may end up doing what UK couldn't do this year.....go undefeated....then they will hang a banner...and Ol Roy will have a statue outside the Dean Dome...which will be renamed to the Smith and Williams Center for Kids who cant read good and want to learn to do other Good Stuff too.

If UNC gets Ingram I think they may end up doing what UK couldn't do this year.....go undefeated....then they will hang a banner...and Ol Roy will have a statue outside the Dean Dome...which will be renamed to the Smith and Williams Center for Kids who cant read good and want to learn to do other Good Stuff too.

This is by far the funniest line I think I've ever read on this board.

Hahahahaha nice little Zoolander reference there lol!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT