ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram

Well I definitely think the landing of DT helps our cause but not sure if it's enough. I'm just worried about it. Seems to good to be true for us to land him. What is everyone's thought now on Murry? Also what's this do for DSJ next year? Does it affect it at all?
I would say that landing DT helps with Ingram for sure. How much? We will know soon enough. AS for 2016. Duke wants Smith Jr. and DT to be a part of the same back court. Both would be allowed the freedom to do their thing (Cook and Tyus can attest to how well that works) Having a guy like DT on the roster helps with other top level guys. This is a big day for Duke. It was expected from many people but like timo said earlier, you just do not know until it is done.

Reactions: mbdfan
Sky, on the contrary, I dont think they "need" him at all. I think he's more "needed" at Duke considering he would step in and start from day one and be arguably the top scorer. (potentially). At UNC, he'll be fighting with Jackson, Pinson, and others for playing time. He'd potentially start there, but he's not as much of a need there as another key piece in their attempt to get to the final 4 for the first time since 2009.

I would say that landing DT helps with Ingram for sure. How much? We will know soon enough. AS for 2016. Duke wants Smith Jr. and DT to be a part of the same back court. Both would be allowed the freedom to do their thing (Cook and Tyus can attest to how well that works) Having a guy like DT on the roster helps with other top level guys. This is a big day for Duke. It was expected from many people but like timo said earlier, you just do not know until it is done.

I'm thrilled about DT, and I think it can only help our case with Ingram. With that said -- and with the added caveat that we're getting way ahead of ourselves -- think DT's presence on our roster does clearly complicate the Smith recruitment. In fact, unless DT or Grayson declares for the NBA, it's really hard to see how there's really room for Smith if Battle and Tatum commit on the wings; considering that we'd be adding those two to DT, Grayson, Kennard and Matt Jones. Now, you never know how the NBA carousel will turn, but it's a bit hard for me to see where Smith gets minutes if DT is the clear starting PG -- i.e., as good as Smith may be as a PG prospect, not sure if he'd be an upgrade at the off-guard position over the guys we have and / or are recruiting. If DT does not declare after next season, I think Smith goes elsewhere.

Reactions: Dominator4321
Sky, on the contrary, I dont think they "need" him at all. I think he's more "needed" at Duke considering he would step in and start from day one and be arguably the top scorer. (potentially). At UNC, he'll be fighting with Jackson, Pinson, and others for playing time. He'd potentially start there, but he's not as much of a need there as another key piece in their attempt to get to the final 4 for the first time since 2009.

Agree on the basketball point. On the court, he would have a far greater impact at Duke than UNC -- where he's far more of a luxury than a need for UNC.

With that said, I do think the atmospherics of losing Ingram to Duke would be really damaging to the UNC program heading into the very big 2016 recruiting; as it will continue a several-year trend of Duke outrecruiting UNC for the top-end talent. Notwithstanding the depth issues, it would be a pretty big indictment on the state of the UNC program if a Kinston kid who plays on Jerry Stackhouse's AAU team decides to pick Duke in a head-to-head matchup.

I'm thrilled about DT, and I think it can only help our case with Ingram. With that said -- and with the added caveat that we're getting way ahead of ourselves -- think DT's presence on our roster does clearly complicate the Smith recruitment. In fact, unless DT or Grayson declares for the NBA, it's really hard to see how there's really room for Smith if Battle and Tatum commit on the wings; considering that we'd be adding those two to DT, Grayson, Kennard and Matt Jones. Now, you never know how the NBA carousel will turn, but it's a bit hard for me to see where Smith gets minutes if DT is the clear starting PG -- i.e., as good as Smith may be as a PG prospect, not sure if he'd be an upgrade at the off-guard position over the guys we have and / or are recruiting. If DT does not declare after next season, I think Smith goes elsewhere.
That could very well be, but the sales pitch, and this has been going on for a long time now with Smith and DT was to have both of them play alongside each other. Battle and Tatum won't play a minute of college hoops together IMO.

Reactions: mbdfan
Denn-How come Battle and Tatum are mutually exclusive? Duke is going after both hard. Many feel Duke is favored for both. Do they not like each other?

I have no clue what to expect anymore. I feel like getting DT today helps, but the Kinston connection will scare me until he signs.

Denn-How come Battle and Tatum are mutually exclusive? Duke is going after both hard. Many feel Duke is favored for both. Do they not like each other?
I guess we will see. They certainly could play together.. I have no clue whether they get along or not. It is just my opinion that they wont play together. Duke will have some perimeter players already here. There are a lot of variables still. I'd love to see them play together at Duke.

My brother lives in Charlotte and says all transplants there are becoming Duke fans especially young kids. Duke fans were out in force at 1st & 2nd round games.

Per Evan Daniels on Twitter, Ingram will announce his college decision April 27 per his high school coach Perry Tyndall. Finally, thoughts? I'm torn. I think he chooses Duke but I think it's because I want him too. Fingers crossed.
My sources tell me he hates the state of north Carolina and it's a 3 way race between ucla, uk and ku

Denn-thanks for the reply. That's the thing that worries me about Getting Ingram + Thornton. Does it mess up 16? I guess the best part is that it probably wouldn't affect Tatum and Giles. They prob start anywhere they go. If we land them, it is a serious FF/Nat Champ kind of season. It could hurt with Smith Jr. and Battle though. Nice concerns to be stuck with, huh?

I guess we will see. They certainly could play together.. I have no clue whether they get along or not. It is just my opinion that they wont play together. Duke will have some perimeter players already here. There are a lot of variables still. I'd love to see them play together at Duke.

Den is right. Seems right now they are mutually exclusive. Battle is a damn good player that will want starter minutes from the beginning. Unfortunately, he's no Tatum. And Coach K will be all out for Tatum and Giles. Those two guys are ridiculous talents.

In don't think it will explode. They will all act like he isn't that great and that they didn't want him there. A few may sink into depression but most will play it off.

Serious question: isn't Theo Pinson the exact same player? Seems like they don't need Ingram if they have a healthy Pinson.

Serious question: isn't Theo Pinson the exact same player? Seems like they don't need Ingram if they have a healthy Pinson.

Not at all. Pinson is not the scorer or shooter that Ingram is. Theo will fall into Tokoto's role and I hope he shoots just as much. Brandon is a better player than Theo and I have been pretty skeptical of Ingram until this high school season.

Not at all. Pinson is not the scorer or shooter that Ingram is. Theo will fall into Tokoto's role and I hope he shoots just as much. Brandon is a better player than Theo and I have been pretty skeptical of Ingram until this high school season.

Agreed he's definitely not Theo Pinson, but I do think he's incredibly similar to Justin Jackson -- both great shooters, similar heights, similar body types, not particularly explosive. Ingram may end up going to UNC, but it's always seemed like a weird fit to me because, aside from the 10 minutes when Jackson needs a breather, it's not exactly clear where he'd play on the court. Ingram won't play the 4 at UNC b/c of Brice Johnson and Hicks, and the 2 spot for either Jackson or Ingram is really an unnatural position -- b/c neither really has the lateral quickness to defend the two or the ballhandling / playmaking ability you'd normally want off the dribble. It would seem as if Ingram's presence would end up just cutting into the minutes of Jackson and / or lead to UNC cutting into the minutes of Pinson / Paige / Berry to play an unconventional lineup that keeps Ingram happy, but probably will really struggle to defend against teams with quick guards / wings and struggles to be effective in transition.

THR has nuthin' on the wack-job tarhole fans who pollute Twitter. Tons of 'im. This one has sent me a few tweets but , like usual , I ignore most unx fans. Too damn crazy. Anyway , check out this nut...

Lets Go Warriors@meteorologist45

Brandon Ingram =D***** Piece of

Lets Go Warriors‏@meteorologist45

@AndruwWiggens that b**** not coming to unc his a** going to D*** bro unc is done for this year and maybe more

Lets Go Warriors@meteorologist45

Again Brandon Ingram will be a D***** piece of s*** simple as that

Agreed he's definitely not Theo Pinson, but I do think he's incredibly similar to Justin Jackson -- both great shooters, similar heights, similar body types, not particularly explosive. Ingram may end up going to UNC, but it's always seemed like a weird fit to me because, aside from the 10 minutes when Jackson needs a breather, it's not exactly clear where he'd play on the court. Ingram won't play the 4 at UNC b/c of Brice Johnson and Hicks, and the 2 spot for either Jackson or Ingram is really an unnatural position -- b/c neither really has the lateral quickness to defend the two or the ballhandling / playmaking ability you'd normally want off the dribble. It would seem as if Ingram's presence would end up just cutting into the minutes of Jackson and / or lead to UNC cutting into the minutes of Pinson / Paige / Berry to play an unconventional lineup that keeps Ingram happy, but probably will really struggle to defend against teams with quick guards / wings and struggles to be effective in transition.

Justin Jackson is definitely a better candidate as to who would presumably split time with Ingram. Even Isaiah Hicks to a degree.

I need to find something to do with my time until Monday, hard to gauge what an 18 year old is thinking. It is extremely humorous, like someone mentioned earlier, to go to THR and see they are thinking the same as many of us. The UNC connections for BI is just too strong to overcome IMO.

Reactions: pisgah101
He'll get plenty of exposure at either school. He'll catch more flack from family and friends (an in general) if he chooses Duke. He'll be pushed harder academically at Duke. He'll be better connected as a Duke family member. I just wonder which coach he feels more comfortable with.

It's a tough decision for him, but he'll be sitting pretty either way. I envy his situation.

I need to find something to do with my time until Monday, hard to gauge what an 18 year old is thinking. It is extremely humorous, like someone mentioned earlier, to go to THR and see they are thinking the same as many of us. The UNC connections for BI is just too strong to overcome IMO.

I would say what's odds about this recruitment is that while it seems regulars on this board are still skeptical of BI to Duke, basically everything I've seen online on the UNC board / twitter / 247 predictions / etc. seems to clearly lean heavily towards Duke. Evan Daniels is hardly infallible (e.g., said he was skeptical that Thornton would reclassify), but he even went so far as to go on twitter yesterday and say that he thinks that UNC's basically out of the picture and BI's debating between Duke, UK and KU. While I'm not sure I've seen a lot to substantiate that view, the fact that there's really nobody out there strongly predicting BI to UNC at this stage is pretty surprising -- particularly b/c you'd think there would be all sorts of people around him who would be talking if he intended to go with the popular in-state school. If BI doesn't pick Duke on Monday, I think UK may be just as likely as UNC at this point. If BI were signed, sealed and delivered to UNC -- like so many of us assumed -- I feel like there's no way that would still be under wraps at this point.

I would say what's odds about this recruitment is that while it seems regulars on this board are still skeptical of BI to Duke, basically everything I've seen online on the UNC board / twitter / 247 predictions / etc. seems to clearly lean heavily towards Duke. Evan Daniels is hardly infallible (e.g., said he was skeptical that Thornton would reclassify), but he even went so far as to go on twitter yesterday and say that he thinks that UNC's basically out of the picture and BI's debating between Duke, UK and KU. While I'm not sure I've seen a lot to substantiate that view, the fact that there's really nobody out there strongly predicting BI to UNC at this stage is pretty surprising -- particularly b/c you'd think there would be all sorts of people around him who would be talking if he intended to go with the popular in-state school. If BI doesn't pick Duke on Monday, I think UK may be just as likely as UNC at this point. If BI were signed, sealed and delivered to UNC -- like so many of us assumed -- I feel like there's no way that would still be under wraps at this point.

The reason may be because of one name. "Harrison Barns"

Agree, I thought he was a shoe in when he was sitting behind Duke's bench in some Duke gear... then he let me down. My one chance to have an Iowan on my beloved Blue Devils team and he picks the tar stars to the south.... don't get me started!

Do we feel Ingram has the strength to be effective in the ACC and during tournament play? Some kids his size are successful right away but it wouldn't shock me to see him struggle. Listen adding talent is a good thing 99% of the time...the times it isn't is when a kid struggles to play at the level he expects due to the competition and then gets bitter when he starts seeing less time.

What i've seen of this kid in highlight videos, outside of talent, is a lot of...shall i say...personality. He doesn't carry himself like Tyus, Jah and Justice did which is something that separated them from most freshman i've seen and was a big reason they stayed calm when things got tough around them.

Meh, ancient history and a completely different situation. I feel good about Ingram being a blue devil Monday. That being said, you never know.

Yes, not saying it's a done deal -- but, if anything, this feels the mirror image of the Harrison Barnes situation. In the HB case, we started recruiting him seriously before UNC, we were long presumed the leader, he had suggested we were the leader early in the process, he fit the profile of the type of kid who we typically signed with Duke (academically, style of play, personality), and K had ostensibly secured the last visit -- only to then find out that UNC had been able to use the glow of the national title and Michael Jordan to change HB's thinking + the fact that UNC had actually secured multiple in-homes with HB at the end of the process. In many ways, the BI situation seems to be identical except transpose the names Duke and UNC.

Do we feel Ingram has the strength to be effective in the ACC and during tournament play? Some kids his size are successful right away but it wouldn't shock me to see him struggle. Listen adding talent is a good thing 99% of the time...the times it isn't is when a kid struggles to play at the level he expects due to the competition and then gets bitter when he starts seeing less time.

What i've seen of this kid in highlight videos, outside of talent, is a lot of...shall i say...personality. He doesn't carry himself like Tyus, Jah and Justice did which is something that separated them from most freshman i've seen and was a big reason they stayed calm when things got tough around them.

IMO, it's unrealistic to expect BI to be a star like Kyrie, Parker, or Okafor on day 1 -- and, to the extent that's the expectation, he will be a disappointment. However, the fact that he makes some facial expressions in a highlight video or two (which QCook was still doing through his Sr. year) doesn't lead me to think he'd be in the 1% who doesn't help us. While obviously their games are quite different, my guess is that BI will offer Austin Rivers-level offensive productivity with somewhat worse perimeter defense. That will certainly make us better than we would otherwise be, but we will still need multiple guys to emerge at different positions to become a good team. I think next year's team will have a lot of good players, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up with 4-5 guys averaging between 10-15 ppg.

The thing about next year, it won't be like this season in terms of instant chemistry, but we won't be losing everyone after a year either.

We lost half our team and 4 starters :)

Amile seems like a big chemistry guy and I'm sure will make it a point to try and get everyone on the same page.

Aah555...you are right about Cook being very expressive at times but it also took him a while to mature mentally in college.

I'm old school in the thought, "act like you've done it before" but at the same time if you look at many of the successful freshman on successful teams of recent years...they are usually mature kids in how I hey handle themselves on the court.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
Amile seems like a big chemistry guy and I'm sure will make it a point to try and get everyone on the same page.

It is nice that Amile will be back as the leader of the team. I suspect Matt Jones will probably assume a leadership role as well, but Amile will be the glue. He knows what it's like to win a national championship, and he knows what it's like to flame out in the first round. I trust that he'll get our guys prepared.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
Some of my Carolina buddies think it's definitely unc now for some reason, something they read this morning on premium?

Some of my Carolina buddies think it's definitely unc now for some reason, something they read this morning on premium?
A lot of people are reading into the fact he is announcing IN Kinston. They apparently think that means he is going to UNC. People on twitter have been quick to point out that it's not as if there are too many other locations to do the announcing at though.

A lot of people are reading into the fact he is announcing IN Kinston. They apparently think that means he is going to UNC. People on twitter have been quick to point out that it's not as if there are too many other locations to do the announcing at though.

Lol. I hope that's the basis -- b/c, if that's their primary reason for renewed optimism, they're probably in for a rude surprise.

I believe our team next year is going to be quite different than our team this year....This year's team, especially early on had a ton of offensive punch, but lacked defensive fortitude....Next year's team is going to use solid team defense as its foundation and hopefully by ACC play and tournament time a handful of offensive stars start to emerge....In my opinion I see Ingram being similar to a lot of college frosh...Even the most talented of freshman have a common trait, that being inconsistency....Justise hit a freshman wall, possibly due to injuries....Tyus struggled at times throughout the year, especially in games that weren't circled on our calendar....Even Jah had points early in the year where the double team was getting in his head and he was struggling to adapt....I expect BI to have moments where he looks like a stud early on and times when he fans will be screaming to bench him...Hopefully he is mentally strong and dedicated enough to fight through the wall and maintain steady progress throughout the year so by year's end his play is something we can rely on going into the tournament similar to our frosh this year.

Yeah why would the guy announcing from his high school mean anything? About 95% of these guys announce at their high school. I'm definitely of the mind set that Kinston is home turf for UNC and a recruiting coup for anyone to beat out UNC in Kinston, but location of announcement, unless its in the Dean Dome, in the back of a Fats rental, or on ole Roy's front porch, means nothing.

Hopefully the announcement is shorter than Tony Parker's.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT