ADVERTISEMENT

AJ's Usage

AlanInNJ

Cameron Crazy
Feb 25, 2014
It's been mentioned in the game threads, but I think it deserves its own thread. I can't be the only one who is frustrated by AJ's lack of playing time and underutilization. He's one of the best pure shooters in the country. Against UNC and again today against Syracuse we struggled to score at times. We have some super talented players, but we've seen this on and off all year. How in a tight game can we not run some set plays to get AJ some open looks alla JJ Redick screens? AJ seems to be a solid defensive player and good rebounder for his position. How can this guy be on the bench down the stretch in these games where we are struggling?

We can read about him scoring 20 per game next year in the NBA thread. Need to utilize him more for us to be all we can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
I think we either go small w Mark or yes even PB on the bench or sit Fells.

Because teams are guarding AJ and AJ isn’t guarding them . Look at AJ. On the perimeter AJ was getting beat today and he is coming off a stomach virus. He’s a player teams we’re going to catch on to him and Dukes lack of inside play in the first half kept AJ covered.
he’s going to have to mix it up.

We dont run good sets imo. Well sets to get shooter open. Sometimes it seems like we just run the same looking sets. Horns or some form of horns. High middle ball screen, would be nice to have a flowing offense/motion offense.

Duke doesn’t run any sets other wise they'd hit big Mark soon as he sets in the paint.
Same thing people are saying about AJ they were asking about big Mark. This is why this team worries me .

Reactions: Mac9192
Sounds like AJ was battling food poisoning from the night before which would explain his lack of minutes today

Nothing is better than couch coaches on a message board saying that the man with 5 national titles and 45 years as a head coach needs to find a better way to utilize a freshman

AJ was sick and almost didn't play, but I agree he should be getting 30 plus minutes every game
AJ only got 5 shots against UNCheat, of which he made 2. That was before he got sick. I was at that game. It appeared that we could not get him open. So, imho, something ain't right.

OFC

Against UNX, we really didn't put the ball in AJ's hands much. But like most freshmen he is somewhat limited. He doesn't have the kind of quick release where he can run off screens and shoot like JJ did. He's mostly a catch and shoot guy with a few moves to the basket and of course that strength and leaping ability.

My feeling is yes he has to get the ball where he can do some damage but so does Mark and Paolo.

AJ is a work in process with definite weaknesses. For example, I saw this list of weaknesses on an NBA draft site:

“Can struggle to score in traffic
Lacks an elite first step off the dribble
Not an elite ball handler
Unselfish to a fault
Gambles too much defensively”

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT