ADVERTISEMENT

BD Warrior

Recruit
Sep 20, 2006
Duke ranked #5 is laughable. That's the best team in the country and it's not close. The Kansas loss was a fluke and wouldn't happen now. Keep doing work Devils! Love this team.

Meh. I don't care where we're ranked in December. Much respect to Villanova and everyone else, but this Duke team has the potential to be truly dominant and everyone knows that whether we're ranked 5 or 1.

I know. I just having a little fun. They are the best team in the country though. I see no weakness.

Villanova has earned the top spot for now IMO. We're fine at 5, and hopefully we'll move up from there.

Villanova has earned the top spot for now IMO. We're fine at 5, and hopefully we'll move up from there.
I actually think Baylor currently has the best resume (undefeated with wins over #4 Oregon, #7 Xavier, #10 Louisville, and #24 Mich St) even though I really don't trust them to be in the top group in the end. Villanova has two solid wins themselves, but not the same resume.

Either way I personally see us, UCLA, and UK as a step above the rest right now. But it's just December and things can/will change. I expect all 3 to be up there all year though.

Reactions: dukehokie
I don't know who the best team is. So many strong teams this year. UCLA just dropped 102 on Michigan, their offense is insane. UK and KU have two of the best backcourts in the country. Nova has one of the best players and has good experience. I think we can play with these teams for sure, we already showed we can compete with KU even when not at full strength.

Obviously our guards are very good and high level scorers but do we have the right kind of guards to beat the other top teams? I don't know, we'll have to see how that unfolds.

One thing is for sure, this year in college basketball is for the big boys, not going to see a mid-major break through to the Elite 8 or Final Four (unless you count Gonzaga), no low seeds crashing the party. The tournament is going to be about the 1, 2, and 3 seeds with a lot of chalk after the first weekend

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
I don't know who the best team is. So many strong teams this year. UCLA just dropped 102 on Michigan, their offense is insane. UK and KU have two of the best backcourts in the country. Nova has one of the best players and has good experience. I think we can play with these teams for sure, we already showed we can compete with KU even when not at full strength.

Obviously our guards are very good and high level scorers but do we have the right kind of guards to beat the other top teams? I don't know, we'll have to see how that unfolds.

One thing is for sure, this year in college basketball is for the big boys, not going to see a mid-major break through to the Elite 8 or Final Four (unless you count Gonzaga), no low seeds crashing the party. The tournament is going to be about the 1, 2, and 3 seeds with a lot of chalk after the first weekend

Even though they are what they are, I agree it's hard to call Gonzaga a mid major anymore. And they are tough this season.

But I agree, unless a team is seriously underestimating their opponent, we really shouldn't see many 1-3 or 4 seed upsets.

There are really, really good teams this year. Similar to a couple years ago. The top teams are really talented and/or experienced.

Meh. I don't care where we're ranked in December. Much respect to Villanova and everyone else, but this Duke team has the potential to be truly dominant and everyone knows that whether we're ranked 5 or 1.

That's the way I feel Neners. I only care about being ranked one time. The last time. OFC

Reactions: Neners
BD don't start that stuff about being the best team in America. Where did it get UK and UNC? They listened to the ones who get paid to know things and the players and their fans got too cocky. Lets wait awhile until we are playing like a well oiled unit with all the players back.

Reactions: Dukesince90
Duke and UK have the highest ceilings. UNC and Indiana look strong as well. Not sure on KU. I didn't think they were particularly impressive against an undermanned Duke team.

UCLA has great chemistry and a strong 8 man rotation; everyone knows their role. They will be tough to beat with talent alone. Duke needs to start sharing the ball more and figure out who the closers are. We're getting there.

Reactions: dukiejay
We may move up 1 spot but I doubt it. Villanova played like a undefeated #1 team in the come back and hold off vs. N.D. You got to hand it to UCLA so far . Until someone gets them how can they not hold. Kansas beat us by 2 and we were really short handed and even though they've lost one they still beat us. The only team I see we possibly going by is Baylor. Just think how that one shot by KU had so much impact on the rankings. I just take the rankings as they be. Doesn't really matter much until the seedings come out. We always get the easiest bracket anyway. OFC

We remain at 5 once again this week. I'm okay with that. We just need to continue to get healthy and improve as we go. I feel we will be number one when it counts....thoughts?

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Just keep winning and getting and staying healthy. I'll take our team over any other team in the field (no not for money, but you know).

Just keep winning and getting and staying healthy. I'll take our team over any other team in the field (no not for money, but you know).

Exactly. just keeping getting healthy and I think the rest will take care of itself. If Duke is the 5th best team then it'll be one of the most loaded NCAA fields in quite a while in 2017.

This Duke team is LOADED..... Personally I see a storm brewing and the reality come March is you're going to want to avoid being in Duke's region imo.

We're #1 in the the Pomeroy Rankings. #1 in offensive efficiency, and #15 in defensive efficiency. All that without the efforts of our most talented pro prospect - not bad. Not bad at all :D

Good thing K berate$ the ref$.

Yep. The refs know where their paycheck is coming from. They try to keep the game honest as long as they can - but sometimes K has to remind them. But you know, they've provided some really great services over the years.

Dook%20Refs.jpg

While it's fun to pay attention to the rankings, they are purely anecdotal. I do like being recognized for our talent and was definitely a little disappointed that we're still stuck at 5, but there are so many articles on so many sites every day lauding and drooling over us that it makes up for the non #1 ranking. I think that once Giles is back and if we keep getting dominating wins every game then we will eventually be ranked number 1 again, regardless if UCLA, Villanova, Baylor or Kansas lose before then.

Rankings are just someone's opinion. When healthy I think there's no question we are the best team in the country, regardless of what some geek thinks. We stay healthy we are overall number one seed come tourney time.

OFC

UCLA has great chemistry and a strong 8 man rotation; everyone knows their role. They will be tough to beat with talent alone. Duke needs to start sharing the ball more and figure out who the closers are. We're getting there.
I'd say the ball movement is fine. Duke has guys who can create for themselves and K wants them to do so. They have the freedom to get get it on their own if they need to. Now the closer part of your post, I agree. I think Allen, Kennard and Tatum are going to fill that role.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I'd say the ball movement is fine. Duke has guys who can create for themselves and K wants them to do so. They have the freedom to get get it on their own if they need to. Now the closer part of your post, I agree. I think Allen, Kennard and Tatum are going to fill that role.
And I think they'll go on matchup and who has the hot hand at the end of games, for those three players.

Everyone in Kentucky knows come March we'll be #1 with the easiest path to the Final Four. ;)
And don't forget they will have the hardest path to the final four. They will also have to battle the refs to get there while also complaining that the NCAA committee is out to get them.

Rankings are just someone's opinion. When healthy I think there's no question we are the best team in the country, regardless of what some geek thinks. We stay healthy we are overall number one seed come tourney time.

OFC
I don't even think it's what they think. It's just how ranking works. You don't drop D1 teams that are undefeated below teams that have a loss. *shrugs* For example, on the CBS College Basketball podcast, they once again reiterated that Villanova is number one but they believe Duke is the best team in the country. It's just one of those wonky things that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT