ADVERTISEMENT

Zion and the Top of the Backboard

HeelsShmeels

Starter
Feb 27, 2006
Coild Zion ever touch the top of the backboard? Been reading stories about great jumpers like Gus Johnsons Nail and a 2008 SI article about Dwight Howard. Seems like he can get darn close.

I think he could because when they were measuring the teams verticals jump they had to raise the sticks higher because Zion was jumping higher than the height of the sticks and to me it looked like the height that they raised it to was at least even with the top of the backboard if not a little higher.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Scott Turner was a 6’1 Honkey and could touch the top of the square.

Reactions: dukehokie
I’m clueless about posting pictures or videos. YouTube a guy named Jordan Kilganon. Most impressive dunker I’ve ever seen. White guy 6-1.

I’m clueless about posting pictures or videos. YouTube a guy named Jordan Kilganon. Most impressive dunker I’ve ever seen. White guy 6-1.
I used to like him when they had that Dunk King competition during the NBA Finals until he was an ass and a poor sport after he lost to someone else in the competition.

First time I saw him on video, Gary Payton and Glen Rice were there. They were speechless.
That was during one of the Dunk King competitions that they showed during the NBA Playoffs. After he lost, he whined and criticized the judges and said they weeent qualified to judge a dunk competition.

I remember hearing the rumor about Vince Carter being able to put a quarter on the top of the background then jump up and take it off. I looked on the internet for a video. But there was only people talking about. I know he’s a freak but that would be ridiculous.

Outside of Mac McClung being the GOAT dunker, everyone else is battling for 2nd place.

IMO Zion is already in the rarified air of the greatest dunkers of all-time discussion. He's in the discussion with guys like Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Dominique, Doctor J, Blake Griffin, Lebron James etc.

What's crazy...I can't imagine the athletic specimin that Zion will be once he's around 22 years old, he's definitely not fat now, but he will probably be able to get up even higher once he sheds off some of his weight in the pros.

Reactions: dbav
This is just math

Top of the back board -- 13 feet -- 156"
Zion's height -- 6'7" -- 81"
Zion's reach -- 8'7" -- 103"

Delta from reach to top -- 53"

Zion's vertical jump -- 40.5"

Seems he will come up short.

I mean the season is riuned anyway...we aren't going to 40-0...and now Zion's can only get him within 15.5" on the top....NOW Zion isn't god-like....just semi-god like. Wow, my Monday is totally ruined.

This is just math

Top of the back board -- 13 feet -- 156"
Zion's height -- 6'7" -- 81"
Zion's reach -- 8'7" -- 103"

Delta from reach to top -- 53"

Zion's vertical jump -- 40.5"

Seems he will come up short.

I mean the season is riuned anyway...we aren't going to 40-0...and now Zion's can only get him within 15.5" on the top....NOW Zion isn't god-like....just semi-god like. Wow, my Monday is totally ruined.
I thought his verticle was 45.OFC

8'7 standing reach + 45 inch vertical (3 feet, 9 inches) = 12 feet, 4 inches

Top of backboard = 13 feet ... So 8 inches short. I will say, however, that he looks like he's right there at the height of the top of the backboard on this video. If he's not there, he's pretty darn close.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
8'7 standing reach + 45 inch vertical (3 feet, 9 inches) = 12 feet, 4 inches

Top of backboard = 13 feet ... So 8 inches short. I will say, however, that he looks like he's right there at the height of the top of the backboard on this video. If he's not there, he's pretty darn close.

Found this old video of myself. Zion ain't nothin....
giphy.gif

Zion's standing reach is ~8 inches shorter than some 6'7 guys. I wonder which player historically has had the highest combined reach+vert?

Dwight Howard has to be up there on the list. What about Wilt in his athletic prime? What about Luke Maye?

There was a player named Darnell Hillman maybe out of Nebraska years ago that could get up there. That's about all he could do though. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT