ADVERTISEMENT

Your Final Four Predictions?

That's pretty much the same as me. We're the best team in the country when it comes to playing well in 10 minute stretches, but far too often we go into extreme funks where scoring and protecting the basketball almost seem impossible.

I'm not worried about Iona, Oklahoma-Rhode Island, Michigan State or Kansas. I'm worried about us. We should and can beat every single team in our path. It's just that we've displayed so much inconsistency throughout the season that I find it hard to envision being able to keep the switch on for a full 40 minutes.

Exactly!

Not karma. We want Duke to make it but be honest. What 4 game stretch have you seen from us that we're capable of getting there?

I see your point for sure. We all know we have the talent, but that has come along with more inconsistency than I can remember from a Duke team. I'm clinging to the hope that they will figure it out and turn those 5-8 minute stretches of bad basketball to 2-3 minute stretches.

And while MSU will beat us one of these days, K still owns Izzo!

Reactions: pisgah101
I will say, if any team in recent memory has the ability to flip a switch and turn into a machine, I really feel this group is the one.

I can't wait, and as much as I dislike Coach Cal last night he said his team has a brutal road and then said "but why would you want it any other way?".

For now, given past seasons, I'm taking NOTHING for granted. Only Iona exists in this tournament.

It's not so much the hype over anyone else, as much as it is our inconsistent play. We haven't shown championship play yet, and anyone who says otherwise needs to take off the duke goggles.

But I’m almost certain we can beat Michigan State. I can’t think of a good team they’ve beat in awhile

Michigan State has only beaten 2 NCAA tournament teams all season, with wins against UNC (neutral court) & Purdue (home). There 4 losses come against Duke (neutral court), Ohio State (away), & Michigan (home & neutral) twice. I’m not sure why the talking heads are so enamored with them.

Not sure i am ready to buy all the love and hype Michigan is getting?

nova, mi st, uva, unc (dont see any other team i like, but also feel like they lose somewhere before the final 4 just not confident who that team is)

I don’t see how Nova gets all the love they get! I mean sheesh! They had a good run and won the National Championship a couple of years ago in the most epic fashion ever, and they had a good run to the final four in 09, but come on people! Historically, they are gone by Sweet 16.

Just like Dukiejay, I’ll probably take some heat back home when I say Duke has a very good chance to cut down the nets this year. I have them and Villanova in the NC game. Your zone will be tougher to break then most think. UNC saw it 3 times as well as an inferior copy with Cuse a few times allowing them to work on it and actually solve it for the most part. And we have 2 players who can find the middle regularly and pass/shoot out of it. But for teams not having actually seen that zone and its impressive length it is hard to beat. IF Duke feeds the post repeatedly they will be hard to beat. Thus my choice for the NC. Villanova will be a great test and that game could go either way.

That said, I’ll find my way back to the home board and take my insults.

Just like Dukiejay, I’ll probably take some heat back home when I say Duke has a very good chance to cut down the nets this year. I have them and Villanova in the NC game. Your zone will be tougher to break then most think. UNC saw it 3 times as well as an inferior copy with Cuse a few times allowing them to work on it and actually solve it for the most part. And we have 2 players who can find the middle regularly and pass/shoot out of it. But for teams not having actually seen that zone and its impressive length it is hard to beat. IF Duke feeds the post repeatedly they will be hard to beat. Thus my choice for the NC. Villanova will be a great test and that game could go either way.

That said, I’ll find my way back to the home board and take my insults.

Be hard to play Nova in the championship....

Michigan State has only beaten 2 NCAA tournament teams all season, with wins against UNC (neutral court) & Purdue (home). There 4 losses come against Duke (neutral court), Ohio State (away), & Michigan (home & neutral) twice. I’m not sure why the talking heads are so enamored with them.
Precisely because they don't have a lot of losses and the ones they do are to good teams (all 5 seeds or better). Meanwhile Duke has losses to non-tournament teams such as BC and SJU. The committee valued wins more than losses which is why Duke is a higher seed despite 3 more losses and why UNC is a higher seed despite 6 more losses. I personally disagree and think MSU should be ranked higher than both Duke and UNC.

Reactions: dukesince91
I couldn’t agree more. Could they beat us? Absolutely, but there isn’t really any reason to suggest they would or should. I’ve been trying to figure out why they seem like such a popular pick and other than the ‘Izzo always gets hot in March’ argument I think we match up pretty favorably against them.

People have argued that they “aren’t the team we played in November” but we beat them WITHOUT BAGLEY. That plus our much improved defense and we are very much not the same team they played in November.

We also beat them in a game where Bridges, Jackson and Ward all scored 19 points! Obviously we probably won’t see a 37 point outburst from Grayson again but I don’t really think we would need one with Bagley back and I think the chances of them scoring 81 against us again are slim. Also who do they have at the 5 that can match up with us?

I have also heard a lot about how they match up well with our zone because they have good shooting and a good stretch 4. I think we have proven that good shooting isn’t really the most important ingredient for beating our zone: it’s having great passing and playmaking, especially in the middle of he zone. Michigan State is not a really great passing team and I don’t see them having the Theo Pinson type player to tear us apart in there. Let’s also not forget that UNC, with those players and a chance to see us a week earlier still only scored 74 against us.

I couldn’t agree more. Could they beat us? Absolutely, but there isn’t really any reason to suggest they would or should. I’ve been trying to figure out why they seem like such a popular pick and other than the ‘Izzo always gets hot in March’ argument I think we match up pretty favorably against them.

People have argued that they “aren’t the team we played in November” but we beat them WITHOUT BAGLEY. That plus our much improved defense and we are very much not the same team they played in November.

We also beat them in a game where Bridges, Jackson and Ward all scored 19 points! Obviously we probably won’t see a 37 point outburst from Grayson again but I don’t really think we would need one with Bagley back and I think the chances of them scoring 81 against us again are slim. Also who do they have at the 5 that can match up with us?

I have also heard a lot about how they match up well with our zone because they have good shooting and a good stretch 4. I think we have proven that good shooting isn’t really the most important ingredient for beating our zone: it’s having great passing and playmaking, especially in the middle of he zone. Michigan State is not a really great passing team and I don’t see them having the Theo Pinson type player to tear us apart in there. Let’s also not forget that UNC, with those players and a chance to see us a week earlier still only scored 74 against us.

And that UNC played against the zone 4 times in the last month of the season. If you keep seeing it, it becomes easier to beat. We still held them below 40%. Our offense just didn't do anything in the first 10 minutes of both halves

Nova
Duke

Arizona
Gonzaga

Duke over Nova, Arizona over Gonzaga.

Duke beats Arizona 73-66 in a 2001 title rematch. Bagley outplays Ayton.

Nova
Duke

Arizona
Gonzaga

Duke over Nova, Arizona over Gonzaga.

Duke beats Arizona 73-66 in a 2001 title rematch. Bagley outplays Ayton.

This is my final 4 on one of the two brackets I filled out for our work pool. I hope we are right!!

Nobody wants to hear this but Cal has Kentucky peaking at the right time. One month ago, they were being laughed at, now they look legit. If them and Arizona meet up like they should, I think that will be a great game.

Reactions: pisgah101
Nobody wants to hear this but Cal has Kentucky peaking at the right time. One month ago, they were being laughed at, now they look legit. If them and Arizona meet up like they should, I think that will be a great game.

that worried me "a little", but what I really think is that they only have this little end of season run they are on because of the weak conference they are in. They lost their final regular season game to Florida, who has 12 losses, and beat Georgia and Alabama in the SEC tourney, both who have 15 losses. And in the title game, they beat Tenn, who lost to that Alabama and Georgia team. I think they are winning no more than one game, if they win that one.....they are only a 5 point favorite against 12 seed Davidson

That is like the potential Duke-MSU matchup: a really great pairing happening way too early in the tournament.

that worried me "a little", but what I really think is that they only have this little end of season run they are on because of the weak conference they are in. They lost their final regular season game to Florida, who has 12 losses, and beat Georgia and Alabama in the SEC tourney, both who have 15 losses. And in the title game, they beat Tenn, who lost to that Alabama and Georgia team. I think they are winning no more than one game, if they win that one.....they are only a 5 point favorite against 12 seed Davidson

Sorry but the SEC wasn't weak this year

Sorry but the SEC wasn't weak this year

By weak, I was referring to having to beat two 15 loss teams and a team that lost to both of those 15 loss teams. I know a lot of people have a higher opinion of the sec than I do, but Auburn and Tenn was two of their best teams and I do not see them making any serious NCAA tourney runs. i don't think they have a single team that could have finished better than 5th or 6th in the ACC. May be wrong, but that's my opinion. I don't see anyone in the SEC as even a long shot title threat.

The SEC was good (for their standards), but there wasn't a single team as good as Duke, UVA, or UNC in that league. There also wasn't a Pitt in that league.
Basically was a conference full of FSU's and Virginia Tech's.

The SEC was good (for their standards), but there wasn't a single team as good as Duke, UVA, or UNC in that league. There also wasn't a Pitt in that league.
Basically was a conference full of FSU's and Virginia Tech's.

Yeah, that's what I said!!....weak!!!

Reactions: jwill133
Weak is probably a little strong, but no one in the SEC scares me and I don't believe they have a strong final 4 contender

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT