ADVERTISEMENT

Who is at the top of your list to replace Coach K?

@skysdad and/or @pisgah101 have to be behind this post!

Personally with all the unrest in our nation at this point, human/civil rights, etc I think it further bolsters K selecting an African-American as his successor. I have no problem with any of these gentlemen: Capel, Dawkins, Ammaker.....

OFC

@skysdad and/or @pisgah101 have to be behind this post!

Personally with all the unrest in our nation at this point, human/civil rights, etc I think it further bolsters K selecting an African-American as his successor. I have no problem with any of these gentlemen: Capel, Dawkins, Ammaker.....

OFC
Wouldn’t be suprised. That’s the way the world already is today! It’s like a quota has to be met or you’re business or whoever is racist. The best man should get the job regardless of color....And I’m sorry, all are good men, but the best man for the job isnt black imo:)

Last edited:
Reactions: JCColsCane
Hart, you are so politically incorrect. It has to be a female African American. I vote for Sonya Curry.

Reactions: ThemDukeBoys
Hart, you are so politically incorrect. It has to be a female African American. I vote for Sonya Curry.

Well Liftee you DO have a point! I think a woman of any color would be good. Sonya would be good, but I think Scheyer's mom Laury would be better choice! In fact those two could co-coach. We would get all the calls! No PTRF needed!!!! OFC

I wouldn't be comfortable with any of them (would like to see Stevens or Donovan or Wright) as I've said elsewhere. But if they can't get a big name to replace coach, then my choice would be Snyder, as he's coached in the NBA. But I wouldn't be thrilled with him either. If we're being honest none of the assistants have done that well to this point. Not for Duke standards. Maybe Capel if he can turn Pitt around.

Last edited:
Stevens. Donovan. Wright. Sorry but none of the "Duke" guys have earned it yet. Just because you were an assistant here does not mean you get the keys.
right, and how many times have we seen the successor to a legendary coach get picked because he was from "the family", or an assistant. A lot of times, and most of the times the program took a nose dive. Go outside and get a young winnnnnnnner. Stevens

right, and how many times have we seen the successor to a legendary coach get picked because he was from "the family", or an assistant. A lot of times, and most of the times the program took a nose dive. Go outside and get a young winnnnnnnner. Stevens
Yup. Nothing against those guys but we need a strong name brand type coach to keep it going. It's gonna be a hard act to follow no matter who it is. If I were those guys I would want to coach somewhere else, at least for the time being. This whole brotherhood thing is Coach K. I think we will find that out quickly.

Reactions: hpnole
Yup. Nothing against those guys but we need a strong name brand type coach to keep it going. It's gonna be a hard act to follow no matter who it is. If I were those guys I would want to coach somewhere else, at least for the time being. This whole brotherhood thing is Coach K. I think we will find that out quickly.
I am going to get fried for this,, but , i Hope they do not let him pick his successor if he is going to pick someone because of loyalty . It will save a nasty divorce down the road in a couple of years. Stevens

Don’t know if he would even be interested but Stevens would be my dream choice.Quinn would be my first choice if we have to stay within the Brotherhood

Reactions: christophero
I wouldn't be comfortable with any of them (would like to see Stevens or Donovan or Wright) as I've said elsewhere. But if they can't get a big name to replace coach, then my choice would be Snyder, as he's coached in the NBA. But I wouldn't be thrilled with him either. If we're being honest none of the assistants have done that well to this point. Not for Duke standards. Maybe Capel if he can turn Pitt around.
Quin is highly revered in the NBA. Hard to say he hasn't done well. Overall though, you have a point.

I don't think Quinn has any desire to return as a college head coach from past quotes and interviews I've seen.

On a personal note I took my son to the Beach Ball classic when he was about ten.Quinn was there doing some scouting.My son was wearing a Duke sweater and asked him for an autograph.Quinn spent about ten minutes talking with him and this was after Rick Barnes told him and some other kids that he was working and to leave him alone.This makes him one of my favorite Devils of all time

All us Hobbits will love the Scheyer.

Stevens should be everyone’s top choice but it’s not very realistic he leaves the nba and a great young team to come back to college. I’d like to see how Hurley does with some talent at ASU. Him or Capel are the mostly likely candidates in my opinion.

Stevens should be everyone’s top choice but it’s not very realistic he leaves the nba and a great young team to come back to college. I’d like to see how Hurley does with some talent at ASU. Him or Capel are the mostly likely candidates in my opinion.

Wouldn't bet against him leaving NBA to come here if he is offered the job...didn't he say when hired by Celtics only way I'll leave is for Duke?

Wouldn't bet against him leaving NBA to come here if he is offered the job...didn't he say when hired by Celtics only way I'll leave is for Duke?
I guess it would be the old saying , money talks and bs walks. Guess it is public record, but, how much does he make coaching pro? And, how much would Duke pay. Also, wouldn't there be a lot less pressure at Duke than at Boston? I really don't know.

I looked it up and if I read it right,Stevens makes like 6.6 million a year and is under contract through 2023. I didn't major in math, so I might be wrong. I didn't see anything mentioned about he would leave if the Duke job came open. Guess we can always hope.

I heard at the time that he said he would only consider leaving if it was Duke or UNC. But I never saw the article.

I guess it would be the old saying , money talks and bs walks. Guess it is public record, but, how much does he make coaching pro? And, how much would Duke pay. Also, wouldn't there be a lot less pressure at Duke than at Boston? I really don't know.
Duke would pay atleast the same I would think. There’d be more pressure at Duke, but I don’t see pressure being a factor with him.

I would love to see Brad Stevens. But in all honesty, prior to 2010, I had never heard of the man. Just curious if everyone here started following his career only after the 2010 season...

I sometimes wonder if Coach K's succesor has already been determined? OFC

I sometimes wonder if Coach K's succesor has already been determined? OFC
Could be, promises could have already been made. I just really hope not. Hey , who do you think will be the next commish?

Could be, promises could have already been made. I just really hope not. Hey , who do you think will be the next commish?

I really don't have an idea but I hope whoever it is has no ACC ties. I heard one name pop up. Female and no problem with that but is a former cheater u women's basketball player. No doubt johnny "tar heel" swofford would like a heel in that role. OFC

The guy took Butler to 2 straight championship games. He nearly took us down. I know he had Hayward but...Butler. But my guess is they will let coach choose.

Reactions: dbav
I think Coach K will make a big deal about not making the decision but the AD would be crazy not to want Coach K to be happy with the choice.

It will be either a Coach K disciple or former player or a really big name from outside his tree.

I could also see a "caretaker" situation since the guy who replaces K is not likely to have immediate success as he develops his own reputation.

Usually in situations like that the 3rd or 4th guys end up having success. Hopefully Duke is big enough of a brand to survive. The only thing that worries me is coach K is REALLY associated with Duke basketball. Look how U Conn has fallen off the face of the earth. Although Villanova is still thriving. UCLA had trouble with this as well, although no one could live up to Wooden's success.

Reactions: hpnole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT