ADVERTISEMENT

Who is at the top of your list to replace Coach K?

Usually in situations like that the 3rd or 4th guys end up having success. Hopefully Duke is big enough of a brand to survive. The only thing that worries me is coach K is REALLY associated with Duke basketball. Look how U Conn has fallen off the face of the earth. Although Villanova is still thriving. UCLA had trouble with this as well, although no one could live up to Wooden's success.
UConn was a nonentity before Calhoun.we went to numerous Final Fours before K.In fact we were a national power in the sixties. Imo it will be mistake if we let K dictate the choice for our next coach.Being great at one thing does not insure that you will be great in everything see Michael Jordan

I really don't have an idea but I hope whoever it is has no ACC ties. I heard one name pop up. Female and no problem with that but is a former cheater u women's basketball player. No doubt johnny "tar heel" swofford would like a heel in that role. OFC
I think the U presidents are the ones to vote on it . Surely they will not pick another UNC anything. I would think they are smart enough to not get caught again...

I'd take him in a nanosecond. Can't believe i forgot about him.

May not be pretty but he gets results. Talk about resurrecting a program--what he's done at UVA is remarkable.

I just don't see him leaving UVA. It's his program. He has done for UVA just about the same thing Coach K has done for Duke. I believe he will win another natty at UVA. Leaving UVA for Duke would be in a way Coach K leaving for KU after he won his 1st natty. If I were him I would be at UVA forever. OFC

I'd take him in a nanosecond. Can't believe i forgot about him.

May not be pretty but he gets results. Talk about resurrecting a program--what he's done at UVA is remarkable.
He’s been my guy for years now, way before the NCAA title, even right after his 1 seed 1st round loss. I grew to enjoy watching his style. I’ve never been so tuned in watching defense like I am watching his teams...I think it’s beautiful lol

I just don't see him leaving UVA. It's his program. He has done for UVA just about the same thing Coach K has done for Duke. I believe he will win another natty at UVA. Leaving UVA for Duke would be in a way Coach K leaving for KU after he won his 1st natty. If I were him I would be at UVA forever. OFC

I agree, I don't think he'll leave.

But I'd offer him a buttload of money to at least get him to think about it.

What would it take? $10M per?

He’s been my guy for years now, way before the NCAA title, even right after his 1 seed 1st round loss. I grew to enjoy watching his style. I’ve never been so tuned in watching defense like I am watching his teams...I think it’s beautiful lol

It is the job of the head coach to utilize the best strategies to put his team in the best position to be successful. And I honestly believe Bennett is doing that as well as anyone right now.

Style points? I couldn't care less. They are so good defensively that he has Virginia--in a league with Duke and Carolina for God's sake--in contention for a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament pretty much every year.

To paraphrase Gordon Gekko... "It's all about wins, kid. The rest is conversation."

Reactions: IFaZe
What about Mark Few? Don't think he'd leave Gonzaga but he'd be a good hire.

I agree, I don't think he'll leave.

But I'd offer him a buttload of money to at least get him to think about it.

What would it take? $10M per?

At least but UVA could and would match it. Also may not be that big of a deal but could we as Duke fans get used to his style of play ? I think if we do go outside the family the only choice is Stevens. Inside the family I like Hurley Scheyer and Capel. Snyder is not leaving the NBA. OFC

Reactions: christophero
I would not want Bennett at Duke. Don't get me wrong, what he has done at UVA turning them from an ACC doormat to a perennial national title contender is incredible. I just wouldn't want our program to be pigeon-holed to his style.
Top recruits would never want to come play that style, we would become UVA: making magic with lesser talent. One of the best things about K is every year he fits the style Duke plays to his roster. I'd rather have a coach with that sort of philosophy.

Bennett works best at UVA because they have no other options and will never be landing top guys. Duke has all the options in the world, why stick to one style?

I would not want Bennett at Duke. Don't get me wrong, what he has done at UVA turning them from an ACC doormat to a perennial national title contender is incredible. I just wouldn't want our program to be pigeon-holed to his style.
Top recruits would never want to come play that style, we would become UVA: making magic with lesser talent. One of the best things about K is every year he fits the style Duke plays to his roster. I'd rather have a coach with that sort of philosophy.

Bennett works best at UVA because they have no other options and will never be landing top guys. Duke has all the options in the world, why stick to one style?

I'd be ok with that style because it's so effective.

And I just don't agree that he wouldn't be able to get elite recruits at Duke. I respect your opinion on that point but I think his recruiting at Duke would be fine.

Reactions: IFaZe
I think our next coach will be a former Dukie. Bennett is the best coach in the country, but I think he's happy where he's at. He's smart, and know's he can't recruit with Duke and K. Not many can.
His team this past season was written off halfway through the season, at one time not even projected to make the tourney, yet he finished tied for 2nd? That's coaching.

Plus it would kind of be a you know what move if Bennett left Virginia for Duke. :) (at least on Virginia's end)

I go back and forth on this.....As of today here are my top picks in order:

1/Johnny Dawkins(excellent transition hire)
2/Tommy Ammaker- cool customer who has built a respected Ivy League program at Harvard!
3/Bobby Hurley-what passion for the game!
4/Jeff Capel- recruiting wiz, and improving as bench coach....

OFC

Reactions: christophero
I'd be ok with that style because it's so effective.

And I just don't agree that he wouldn't be able to get elite recruits at Duke. I respect your opinion on that point but I think his recruiting at Duke would be fine.
Same here. I think he’d start getting some top recruits and adapt. The last 2 years I kinda saw a little of this from him too. And who cares what “pigeonholed” blah blah bs if you’re winning. Man it annoys me when I hear that crap (anything about is style) He wins with less talent case closed.

Gonzaga is scared of no one. Few built them up to be a yearly contender at an unknown school. It’s not his fault the competition can’t keep up with them.
He’s one of the best coaches. Period
Exactly. They are in the one seed discussion every single year and may have won it all this past year. They can't join the Pac 12 because of football. We could do a lot worse. He is very good at reloading with transfers.

I have been involved with the program for over 40 years as an armchair coach so I truly hoe that my name is in the running.

You, FTB and dechampishere all have a legit shot at it. You have to watch FTB though. He will try to dig up some dirt on you. :) OFC

Hart, you are so politically incorrect. It has to be a female African American. I vote for Sonya Curry.

Might as well make it a gay black woman. Britney Griner?

Realistically, K is going to coach as long as he's in good health. With his grandson on the team, it's likely we'll see him for at least four more years. I'm hopeful that Brad Stevens or Chris Beard would be viable options.

None of the Duke guys have done much of anything. Do we really want to keep it in the family like UNC did with Matt Doherty 20 years ago? Not saying any of our guys are like Doh, but he wasn't proven as a coach. And I'm not sure any of the former Duke players are either. Wojo and Hurley have never won an NCAA Tournament game. Collins has been to 1 NCAA Tournament in 7 years. Capel and Amaker have only been to the second weekend once. We need the best candidate. Period. 99.9% of everyone would be interested in the Duke job. Kevin White would be doing a great disservice if he isn't looking for any external candidates.

And odds are, in four or five years, or whenever K finally does retire, we'll probably have some hot new prospective coaches emerge.

Might as well make it a gay black woman. Britney Griner?

Realistically, K is going to coach as long as he's in good health. With his grandson on the team, it's likely we'll see him for at least four more years. I'm hopeful that Brad Stevens or Chris Beard would be viable options.

None of the Duke guys have done much of anything. Do we really want to keep it in the family like UNC did with Matt Doherty 20 years ago? Not saying any of our guys are like Doh, but he wasn't proven as a coach. And I'm not sure any of the former Duke players are either. Wojo and Hurley have never won an NCAA Tournament game. Collins has been to 1 NCAA Tournament in 7 years. Capel and Amaker have only been to the second weekend once. We need the best candidate. Period. 99.9% of everyone would be interested in the Duke job. Kevin White would be doing a great disservice if he isn't looking for any external candidates.

And odds are, in four or five years, or whenever K finally does retire, we'll probably have some hot new prospective coaches emerge.

devz you make some very good points. I liked the way you looked at things by the numbers....It added credibility to your opinions....OFC

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT