ADVERTISEMENT

What would Dean Smith and Bob Huggins do?

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
I have no doubt there will be some negative reaction but here goes...
Dean loved stats . He would probably count points scored by his freshman differently.
No matter how good the freshmen were they still had to carry the luggage and they accepted playing on a team led by upper class men.
Last night Duke’s Freshman scored 61 points. UNC ‘s had 4. I believe the rebounds were something like 27 for Duke and 7 for UNC. Dean would look at the percentages. 15 to 1 in points but only 4 to 1 in boards.
6 future NBA players beat a team with arguably 1 or maybe 2 at the most.
It happened because the lesser team played as a unit and not as individuals.
Coach K got out coached by Roy Williams. Happens rarely but it happened.
Getting back to Dean I am not sure he ever started 2 freshman on the same team.
I only checked a few stats but Jordan played 29 minutes as a freshman, Worthy 28 and Carter only
17. Duke has to do something to bring this team together. I would not mind Coach doing what he tried a few years ago. Bring in 5 new players and let the future NBA guys watch them hustle and rebound. AOD, Goldwire,Vrankovic, White and Javin would play hard for 3-4 minutes and take them out. Dean called this the Blue or the White team. Cannot remember which but it often worked.
As for Huggy Bear he will yank any starter the moment they take a bad shot, do not box out or
do not hustle. They may be extreme but it also works for his team.
Final thoughts. Trent needs to get more than 2 rebounds in 35 minutes. UNC freshman Manly made more free throws than Bagley, Carter and Bolden attempted.
Wish Coach would bring in someone who can teach a crash course in a 1/3/1 or 1/2/2 zone.
Whatever the team is playing reminds me of a Y league defense.
Lastly I am against any personal attacks on the players but I do think it is fair to be critical of their
efforts . If they read this board and think we are tough wait until they play for New York , Philly or other NBA fans.

What would they do? Smith would chain smoke. Huggy would eat a dozen glazed doughnuts. Together they could celebrate the 2 titles they have between them. That’s my best guess.

I have no doubt there will be some negative reaction but here goes...
Dean loved stats . He would probably count points scored by his freshman differently.
No matter how good the freshmen were they still had to carry the luggage and they accepted playing on a team led by upper class men.
Last night Duke’s Freshman scored 61 points. UNC ‘s had 4. I believe the rebounds were something like 27 for Duke and 7 for UNC. Dean would look at the percentages. 15 to 1 in points but only 4 to 1 in boards.
6 future NBA players beat a team with arguably 1 or maybe 2 at the most.
It happened because the lesser team played as a unit and not as individuals.
Coach K got out coached by Roy Williams. Happens rarely but it happened.
Getting back to Dean I am not sure he ever started 2 freshman on the same team.
I only checked a few stats but Jordan played 29 minutes as a freshman, Worthy 28 and Carter only
17. Duke has to do something to bring this team together. I would not mind Coach doing what he tried a few years ago. Bring in 5 new players and let the future NBA guys watch them hustle and rebound. AOD, Goldwire,Vrankovic, White and Javin would play hard for 3-4 minutes and take them out. Dean called this the Blue or the White team. Cannot remember which but it often worked.
As for Huggy Bear he will yank any starter the moment they take a bad shot, do not box out or
do not hustle. They may be extreme but it also works for his team.
Final thoughts. Trent needs to get more than 2 rebounds in 35 minutes. UNC freshman Manly made more free throws than Bagley, Carter and Bolden attempted.
Wish Coach would bring in someone who can teach a crash course in a 1/3/1 or 1/2/2 zone.
Whatever the team is playing reminds me of a Y league defense.
Lastly I am against any personal attacks on the players but I do think it is fair to be critical of their
efforts . If they read this board and think we are tough wait until they play for New York , Philly or other NBA fans.
You use Huggins and Dean as examples Huggins went what 15 plus years without graduating a single player.Dean started the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college basketball.You really want to use them as examples of what we should want as a coach and btw K had had won more championships than both of them combined

Times are different now and not many Joel Berrys playing as seniors. The one consistent negative for our team last 10 years has been defense. It can't all be the players and I know Coach K knows defense so I'm guessing a lot of the blame needs to be on our assistants. I'm 12 years away from seventy and I know Ks not able to get out there and do a lot of one on one teaching. The assistants just because they played at Duke don't mean they are good teachers and motivators

Yea, I think your intent may have been well , but this is a pretty stupid post. It’s like Lebron James losing a game and then asking how Chris Lang would have handled it.

Yea, I think your intent may have been well , but this is a pretty stupid post. It’s like Lebron James losing a game and then asking how Chris Lang would have handled it.
You are right. It was a stupid alcohol induced post after watching a frustrating losing performance by a superior team.
I am sure it has happened several times but I wish someone would list a few games Duke has won versus teams with superior talent. The championship year UNLV game and some of the UNC games come to mind but not any more I can think of. Maybe the Michigan game versus the Fab Five.
More often than not it is the better Duke team losing to an inferior team that plays with greater effort.

You are right. It was a stupid alcohol induced post after watching a frustrating losing performance by a superior team.
I am sure it has happened several times but I wish someone would list a few games Duke has won versus teams with superior talent. The championship year UNLV game and some of the UNC games come to mind but not any more I can think of. Maybe the Michigan game versus the Fab Five.
More often than not it is the better Duke team losing to an inferior team that plays with greater effort.

Well as superior as Duke has been for as long they have that would probably explain their lack of wins against a more superior team.

dean would make sure the officials knew their place. OFC

I have a response to this question but I am scared it would be inappropriate.

I have a response to this question but I am scared it would be inappropriate.

OE1Ss1k.jpg

Reactions: GAAP and skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT