ADVERTISEMENT

UVA

BlueDaveil

All Conference
Nov 25, 2017
They currently sit at #2 on offense and 3 on defense on Kenpom- right around where we had been much of the year before tre’s injury- with a AdjEm of 37.31. If the season ended today that would be the highest number since Kenpom began.

Such a huge win for us to beat them without Tre. I don’t think anyone would say we played our best that day but their defense surely had a lot to do with that and vice versa for them. I could see us playing them 4 times this year and all 4 having a 2001 Duke v Maryland vibe. What would you guys expect our head to head record would be in 4 meetings? I would be happy with 2 losses in VA and the ACC tournament and revenge in the National championship game (or we just sweep them).

They currently sit at #2 on offense and 3 on defense on Kenpom- right around where we had been much of the year before tre’s injury- with a AdjEm of 37.31. If the season ended today that would be the highest number since Kenpom began.

Such a huge win for us to beat them without Tre. I don’t think anyone would say we played our best that day but their defense surely had a lot to do with that and vice versa for them. I could see us playing them 4 times this year and all 4 having a 2001 Duke v Maryland vibe. What would you guys expect our head to head record would be in 4 meetings? I would be happy with 2 losses in VA and the ACC tournament and revenge in the National championship game (or we just sweep them).
2-2 or 1-3

They're good, though they're not THAT good. A lot of that number has to do with their efficiency on offense, which they're fantastic as long as the game is slowed to a near crawl. Speed them up and they simply can't handle it. I say with Tre, if we face them 3 times we go 2-1, 4 times and we go 3-1. This team is gonna win that Natty no matter who they play!

Currently they're on pace to be the highest rated KenPom team of all-time. I said this on the main board, but they remind me a lot of the 2010 Duke team. They have a dynamic trio in Guy, Jerome, and Hunter. Solid 4 big-man rotation. Good shooters, sound defense. They've been demolishing teams lately. They are very, very good. I feel better, though, knowing that we could beat them simply going iso-mode for the majority of the game. Will be interesting how the next game plays out with Tre Jones in there.

Currently they're on pace to be the highest rated KenPom team of all-time. I said this on the main board, but they remind me a lot of the 2010 Duke team. They have a dynamic trio in Guy, Jerome, and Hunter. Solid 4 big-man rotation. Good shooters, sound defense. They've been demolishing teams lately. They are very, very good. I feel better, though, knowing that we could beat them simply going iso-mode for the majority of the game. Will be interesting how the next game plays out with Tre Jones in there.
I said something very similar to a Duke friend of mine a couple weeks ago. Their top 3 are solid. Jerome doesn’t fit what a point guard looks like, kind of like Jon was in 10, a little unorthodox, but gets the job done.
Bennett will adjust for our next game, that’s why it’s so important we find a consistent 3rd scoring option. I don’t like putting so much pressure on Zion and RJ.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Bennett will most certainly make some adjustments for the next game but luckily for us we should look completely different with Tre back. I think our ability to beat them with iso ball last game is a double edged sword. On the one hand, we are putting a ton of pressure on 2 guys to produce, on the other hand they knew which two guys they needed to stop with one of the best defenses in the country and still couldn’t do it.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Gotta get past the 16 seed if they wanna go down as one of the best ever.

All kidding aside, I definitely think this is their best team, the defense is good as always, but the offense is now legit, whereas it used to be ugly.
I'll stick to what I've always thought though, in a tournament setting, UVA's style just doesn't work great. Get them down 10, and the game is essentially over.
I'd be completely okay with being matched up with them in the Final 4/title game.

Reactions: Shatterthesky22
I'm worried about this game but I have relief in knowing, they WON'T be dribbling the ball up court and setting the offense up so quickly with Tre out there. That BS is gonna slow. And it's gonna provide some steal and dunk opportunities they aren't prepared for. I feel very confident with Tre in we can win this one.

Reactions: DukefanKY
This is definitely the best team Bennett has had. Duke is probably going to see them two more times, and more wins there are #1 overall seed kind of stuff.

Yeah, their prep against us is really complicated by Tre. Do you scheme for what beat you-Zion and RJ or do you scheme for a team run by Tre? What do you do if Cam heats up. I think they have more to worry about than us.

Reactions: skysdad
UVA is really good. Like the comparison to our 10 Champ team. Well, we beat that really good team without our Pt. Guard, who is one of our most irreplaceable players. We also did it in a game where we shot horribly from 3. Those 3s were open looks. More so than VAs 3s.

They’re 0-1 against teams with Duke on their jersey this season.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s said a lot “how can Duke possibly match up against what this team can do?” Kiss my ass. How is UVA going to contain Zion and RJ? And if Tre has Cam and Jack hitting again? Good Lord. Go ahead call me a homer. I don’t give a f—. We have the best team in the nation. Prove me wrong.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s said a lot “how can Duke possibly match up against what this team can do?” Kiss my ass. How is UVA going to contain Zion and RJ? And if Tre has Cam and Jack hitting again? Good Lord. Go ahead call me a homer. I don’t give a f—. We have the best team in the nation. Prove me wrong.
Hope you’re not wrong. If we can get Cam to be a little more consistent on offense, and have the Alex that is focused, beating Duke becomes even tougher. Hard enough to beat us as it is, but those 2, Cam in particular, are the key.

Hope you’re not wrong. If we can get Cam to be a little more consistent on offense, and have the Alex that is focused, beating Duke becomes even tougher. Hard enough to beat us as it is, but those 2, Cam in particular, are the key.

That’s about about where we stand right now. We could win a title as is if the wind is blowing right. With Cam and Alex firing and Jack back to being December Jack, this team is virtually unbeatable.

That’s about about where we stand right now. We could win a title as is if the wind is blowing right. With Cam and Alex firing and Jack back to being December Jack, this team is virtually unbeatable.
Pretty much. No one is staying within 10 if we shoot 35% or above from three the rest of the year

Reactions: dukehokie
This uva team isn’t any better than the brogdon/ Anderson team that couldn’t make the final 4. It feels like their loss against duke didn’t even happen the way people talk about them.

You damn SKIPPY!

I said something very similar to a Duke friend of mine a couple weeks ago. Their top 3 are solid. Jerome doesn’t fit what a point guard looks like, kind of like Jon was in 10, a little unorthodox, but gets the job done.
Bennett will adjust for our next game, that’s why it’s so important we find a consistent 3rd scoring option. I don’t like putting so much pressure on Zion and RJ.

UVA is a team that has no margin for error. If the shots don't fall, they lose, no matter how well they play in the other aspects of the game. If the opposing team makes threes, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game. If the refs don't let them get away with murder on the other team's ball handlers, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game. If the opposing team has a few guys that can win via hero ball, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game.
Bennet realized that teams and players today are less skilled, disciplined, and experienced at playing together than ever before. Too many kids are reliant on hero ball, honed vs poor defenses in HS and AAU ball, and constant roster turnover limits team chemistry.
Until, you know, March. By the tournaments, teams are finally hitting their threes, and they've built enough chemistry not to fold when UVA bodies them up on D. UVA's entire system is geared towards giving the other guy enough rope, and then having the other guy make the noose and hang himself. If the other guy doesn't oblige, UVA is in trouble.
UVA doesn't beat teams. UVA doesn't beat itself, and waits for their opponent to beat themselves.

Reactions: Shatterthesky22
UVA is a team that has no margin for error. If the shots don't fall, they lose, no matter how well they play in the other aspects of the game. If the opposing team makes threes, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game. If the refs don't let them get away with murder on the other team's ball handlers, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game. If the opposing team has a few guys that can win via hero ball, UVA loses, no matter how well they play in other aspects of the game.
Bennet realized that teams and players today are less skilled, disciplined, and experienced at playing together than ever before. Too many kids are reliant on hero ball, honed vs poor defenses in HS and AAU ball, and constant roster turnover limits team chemistry.
Until, you know, March. By the tournaments, teams are finally hitting their threes, and they've built enough chemistry not to fold when UVA bodies them up on D. UVA's entire system is geared towards giving the other guy enough rope, and then having the other guy make the noose and hang himself. If the other guy doesn't oblige, UVA is in trouble.
UVA doesn't beat teams. UVA doesn't beat itself, and waits for their opponent to beat themselves.
So we really didn't beat UVA, we just didn't beat ourselves. I got it now!

UVA is a well disciplined team that makes very few mistakes. They maximize the talent of their roster. Like all of their prior teams they have a talent ceiling and it is what makes them vulnerable in a one and done tournament.

They did a great job against our defense in our first matchup, they were very efficient, took the correct shots and made a good percentage of them. But they couldn’t contain Zion and RJ and when push came to shove our talent was able to stop their efficient offense and their efficient defense wasn’t able to stop our big guns.

I expect another great matchup in a couple of weeks. With us being back to full strength I expect another victory but I don’t expect it to be by a wide margin. I still don’t see them having an answer to RJ and Zion and with Tre being back I expect us to turn them over more than the first go round. But Virginia is no slouch, they too are ranked in the top 5 of adjusted offense and adjusted defense. That means they are well balanced, just like us. I just believe the talent gap is too much for them to overcome.

UVA is a well disciplined team that makes very few mistakes. They maximize the talent of their roster. Like all of their prior teams they have a talent ceiling and it is what makes them vulnerable in a one and done tournament.

They did a great job against our defense in our first matchup, they were very efficient, took the correct shots and made a good percentage of them. But they couldn’t contain Zion and RJ and when push came to shove our talent was able to stop their efficient offense and their efficient defense wasn’t able to stop our big guns.

I expect another great matchup in a couple of weeks. With us being back to full strength I expect another victory but I don’t expect it to be by a wide margin. I still don’t see them having an answer to RJ and Zion and with Tre being back I expect us to turn them over more than the first go round. But Virginia is no slouch, they too are ranked in the top 5 of adjusted offense and adjusted defense. That means they are well balanced, just like us. I just believe the talent gap is too much for them to overcome.

They’ll hit more threes at home, but I’d anticipate the game plan to be about the same. Let them play ISO and take away the opposite side passing lanes. Bolden is going to be extremely important in the second matchup.

This feels like a pregame hype speech. I was pumped until I realized I have to wait a few days until the next game!
Ever thought about becoming a motivational speaker lol

Pundits really dismiss our scheme to limit 3s against UVA and how well we contested a lot of their missed 3s. Yeah they missed a couple of good, open looks, but that also is more likely to happen when you are taken out of your rhythm and your previous opportunities were highly contested, causing you to miss. Watched the replay the other night. UVA swung the ball to the right corner to Guy or Jerome. Usually an open look that gets knocked down. Bolden flies out and contests the shot. Shooter got a whole lot of 7 foot blue and white instead of a view of the rim. Shot missed! You think that wasnt in the shooters head when they finally got an uncontested 3? Unlucky shooting night my ass.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Unlucky shooting night my ass.

Exactly.

But, when you say things like, "this is the best chance Duke has at getting blown out at home since 1995" and look like a complete fool (before the game, mind you), a lot of times you keep digging with the shovel. As chov said previously.....if he's craving pork fried rice he's almost to China.

Reactions: QC Dukie

Really good stuff Hokie.

They're good, though they're not THAT good. A lot of that number has to do with their efficiency on offense, which they're fantastic as long as the game is slowed to a near crawl. Speed them up and they simply can't handle it. I say with Tre, if we face them 3 times we go 2-1, 4 times and we go 3-1. This team is gonna win that Natty no matter who they play!
Question. Who’s sped them up in I forgot how many years now? And they don’t even speed up when the games on the line to speed up playing from behind. They don’t know how lol.

NC State is gonna take down UVA tonight in that stupid arena in Raleigh...book it.

NC State is gonna take down UVA tonight in that stupid arena in Raleigh...book it.

This statement made me curious. I went to see if anyone picked this in the challenge. Not one person that I could see. Actually, almost every single poster has UVA winning in either their 6 or 5 point pick. So, an upset like this won't even hardly effect the standings.....pretty wild

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT