ADVERTISEMENT

unc fans are throwing in the towel in tar heel county, North Carolina.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Yes they are. For the last week or so just about every heel fan I run into are conceding the season. I'm telling you it's just pitiful, plain out pitiful. They are turning on berry and and just about all the heel players saying there is no heart in them. No reliable big men and they can't play defense. It's a melt down like I've never sen here in the heart of tar heel nation. Saw a heel fan tonight and he is so down he don't think they will even get a NIT invite. I really feel their pain. Bless their little powder blue hearts. :D:D:D OFC

Yea I was talking yesterday to a hole fan. He said they will lose 12 games this season, and a first round exit in the acc and NCAA tourney. I asked him if he thought they’d get a bid with 12 losses. He said “oh yea, we’ll get in on reputation alone”.

Reactions: skysdad
I know one thing for sure, most of the tar heel gear is packed away in the attic. I havent seen anyone wearing anything the past few days. I guarantee if they some how beat Duke next week, it'll be out full force

Yea I was talking yesterday to a hole fan. He said they will lose 12 games this season, and a first round exit in the acc and NCAA tourney. I asked him if he thought they’d get a bid with 12 losses. He said “oh yea, we’ll get in on reputation alone”.

You should have asked him if he understands the definition of reputation. Their reputation would have actually resulted in them being banned for several years due to decades of academic fraud.

Sadly, I think he's correct on all counts.

I hate it when you use logic and well reasoned arguments.

It's not even a lot of logic. As much as I hate them, their resume is still going to get them in....and it should. In 2007 we had 10 losses and got a 6-seed. A lot of pundits didn't like that, either....but we had some pretty impressive wins that season that carried us to that seed.

Reactions: dbav
It's not even a lot of logic. As much as I hate them, their resume is still going to get them in....and it should. In 2007 we had 10 losses and got a 6-seed. A lot of pundits didn't like that, either....but we had some pretty impressive wins that season that carried us to that seed.

And at the same time, I think it depends on the season. In a year where there is a great deal of parity, the bigger names will usually win out. With parity on the rise, those high loss totals tend to occur more often and it seems works more for the power conference teams that may be having a down year because of the strength of the conference and, therefore, the corresponding strength of schedule. Or at least the conference realignments and consolidations have impacted it. At least that's my take.

So a question would be, is the increased parity actually hurting the mid-major programs because of strength of schedule? Hopefully, that makes sense as a thought.

And at the same time, I think it depends on the season. In a year where there is a great deal of parity, the bigger names will usually win out. With parity on the rise, those high loss totals tend to occur more often and it seems works more for the power conference teams that may be having a down year because of the strength of the conference and, therefore, the corresponding strength of schedule. At least that's my take.

So a question would be, is the increased parity actually hurting the mid-major programs because of strength of schedule? Hopefully, that makes sense as a thought.

It's definitely hurting the mid-majors. I remember the ESPN panel having a conversation about just that after the brackets came out last season.

The advantage to get quality wins is always there for a power five conference. That's not the case for a mid-major. They might get three, maybe four, opportunities during the non-conference season to build their resume. Then when it comes to their conference season they can't have hiccups, i.e., losses to teams in the middle of their conference.

Think about how much it hurts a St. Mary's or Gonzaga if they fall to a team in the middle of their conference with a 5-5 record. Then think about how we've already lost to two teams at or below .500 in conference play. Now I know BC and State are better teams than those middle-tier teams out west, but it just shows you can't afford off-nights in a lesser conference. You could drop three or four seed lines with a loss like that....

Reactions: dukedevilz and dbav
Lunardi updated his bracketology today. UNC is still a 4 seed. Their out-of-conference schedule is going to allow them a high margin for error, unfortunately. Arkansas, Tennessee, Michigan, and Ohio State are 4 wins over top 50 teams.

As far as mid-majors, yes, it royally sucks for them. Gonzaga is significantly more fortunate than a typical mid-major. P5 schools sometimes shy away from mid-majors (especially a home-and-home series) because they see more risk in losing to an average/mediocre team. If you lose to the Zags, though, no big deal. They're consistently a top 25 team. So scheduling them is actually ideal for power conferences. Also, Gonzaga can typically count on 4-5 resume-building opportunities between Saint Mary's (top 30 team) and BYU (top 70)...

Con-USA, A-10, and MWC are good mid-major conferences that usually have a few good teams (Middle Tennessee, W.Kentucky, Rhode Island, St.Bonaventure, Nevada, Boise State). It's teams like New Mexico State, Buffalo, Louisiana Lafayette, Vermont, and South Dakota State that really have to capitalize on those top 50/100 games. They are very few and far between. And on top of that, the committee usually doesn't believe these types of school have enough quality wins to merit anything higher than the best seed for mid-major automatic qualifier (which is typically a 12-seed). Not surprisingly, though, these 12 seeds always seem to win a game or two.... And now Power Conferences are wanting to go to 20 conference games, which will allow them to get a bigger piece of the pie, as mid-majors struggle to find quality OOC games.

Lunardi updated his bracketology today. UNC is still a 4 seed. Their out-of-conference schedule is going to allow them a high margin for error, unfortunately. Arkansas, Tennessee, Michigan, and Ohio State are 4 wins over top 50 teams.

It seems a little odd to me that they were a 4-seed in his eyes 10 days ago, and have since lost three in a row but remain on that line. I thought we'd see them drop to the 5- or 6-line for sure.

It seems a little odd to me that they were a 4-seed in his eyes 10 days ago, and have since lost three in a row but remain on that line. I thought we'd see them drop to the 5- or 6-line for sure.

Agreed. They seem more like a 6 seed to me. I suppose you could argue these projections are based more on what Lunardi thinks the committee would do - as opposed to his own picks. The committee is sometimes fixated with power rankings and UNC is #10 in the RPI and #12 in kenpom.

UNC fan yesterday told me "if your go to man is a former walkon, you in trouble."
I had a good customer call me yesterday. He's a Tar Hole fan. He said I heard your tire prices were as low as the Heels are. I laughed and said my prices aren't that low.
Hope he buys them from me.

Reactions: pisgah101
yeah that's why I think when they release the top 16 unc will not be included. I think they are a 5 right now

According to Joe “Tar Heel” Lunardi they a 4 seed

I haven’t given up on this season yet. I believe we can still pull it together. But it’s going to take some adjustments. Not to mention we’ve been bitten by the injury bug.

That being said, I don’t think there’s much chance beating you guys this year.

I haven’t given up on this season yet. I believe we can still pull it together. But it’s going to take some adjustments. Not to mention we’ve been bitten by the injury bug.

That being said, I don’t think there’s much chance beating you guys this year.
Yea we know all too well about the ole injury bug. Hope pinson plays next week.

Get the sympathy cards out....."Fake classes" made no sense either. Go talk about me on THR-

OFC

Banter is one thing, injuries are another. That’s a line you’re not supposed to cross.

For God’s sake give the classes a rest. No one cares. And by the way, I don’t talk about you on THR Hart, you’re not worthy of wasting my breath.

Banter is one thing, injuries are another. That’s a line you’re not supposed to cross.

For God’s sake give the classes a rest. No one cares. And by the way, I don’t talk about you on THR Hart, you’re not worthy of wasting my breath.
I
Lighten up Frances. Roy said they held him out as a precaution after the game basically.....Never will I give your tarnished rep a rest...

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT