ADVERTISEMENT

UNC and Duke sunk by FTs today

ticket2ride04

All Conference
May 13, 2004
Missed FTs killer both teams today. Our senior leaders in Berry and Allen are regressing. At least you lost to a respectable team. We got punked by State at home.

I’m drinking early today.

I only caught the end of the UNC game so I can’t speak on that but I’m not disappointed in Duke’s loss today.

FT did hurt and we knew they would. The first half is going to happen to a team dominated by freshman...it will happen next year too.

Virginia plays annoying basketball...in the best way possible. Duke wasn’t the better team today but the second half says a lot about the staff and players.

I think UNC shot under 50% from the FT line while NCSU shot over 50% from behind the arc.

Hard to win those games
I just looked at the stats for the UNC/Nc State game. UNC shot 55% (11-20) from the free throw line end NC State shot 50% (15-30) from the 3 point lime. UNC definitely struggled from the free throw line but I think NC State’s 3 point shooting was the bigger reason that they won today.

Missing crunch time free throws will kill you. Just think if we had made 3 more we would have won the game. Of course if we had turn the ball over about 8 or 9 less times we would probably have won the game. Lot of ifs. OFC

The unx loss lessens the hurt. Now if wva can beat uk tonight I’ll be able to sleep.

A week after a loss UNC moved up five spots in the polls. After losing two games this past week how many spots do you think they will move up in tomorrow's poll?

Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
I figure Duke ranked about 6 and unc right behind at 7. OFC
Bilas says if Maye would have hit his free throws they would have won so he's saying they're 8. Bilas said we played bad at home, so we should fall to 7. I overheard a guy in the booth behind me at Waffle House so this hot info has to be true.

Bilas says if Maye would have hit his free throws they would have won so he's saying they're 8.

Everybody talks about our ft shooting woes (with good reason) but speaking of "Big Luke" (he and Yurtseven over at State are easily among the most improved players in country) has anybody else noticed thats the one open shot that appears to give Luke problems???

Maye played EXTREMELY WELL again Saturday, but he missed several critical fts.
That kid Freeman put on a show from three. Loved that ending too. Heels were a 12 pt fave over State, but lost twice this week, including once in THE WOFFORD HOUSE. Er, sorry you said WAFFLE HOUSE....

OFC

Reactions: GillJET
Everybody talks about our ft shooting woes (with good reason) but speaking of "Big Luke" (he and Yurtseven over at State are easily among the most improved players in country) has anybody else noticed thats the one open shot that appears to give Luke problems???

Maye played EXTREMELY WELL again Saturday, but he missed several critical fts.
That kid Freeman put on a show from three. Loved that ending too. Heels were a 12 pt fave over State, but lost twice this week, including once in THE WOFFORD HOUSE. Er, sorry you said WAFFLE HOUSE....

OFC
Not sleeping through the night? Funny how that happens as we get older.
Maye has really improved. Do not care for Roy Williams but I do respect his ability to develop players.
Maye was ranked 155 out of high school. He got a chance gradually to play extended minutes and
it has really paid off. What is the old saying about “Too many chiefs and not enough Indians”?
I think there is a lot to be said for what Williams and Bennett have done developing lower ranked players. Maybe they buy into a system a little better that the OAD players.

Do not care for Roy Williams but I do respect his ability to develop players.
Maye was ranked 155 out of high school. He got a chance gradually to play extended minutes and
it has really paid off. What is the old saying about “Too many chiefs and not enough Indians”?
I think there is a lot to be said for what Williams and Bennett have done developing lower ranked players. Maybe they buy into a system a little better that the OAD players.

I wont argue with Williams's ability to develop talent, but he goes after OAD's too, as others here have pointed out. As far as development though, Maye is a solid case in point. Its Roy's sheer lying and cover-up of a scandal that gives me no use for the man whatsover.(Thats of course another story).

Back to the issue at hand, I noted Maye's vast improvement earlier, but his somewhat ironic struggles at the line (60 perecent) when he hits virtually from anywhere else left open( close to 50 percent from three).

Meanwhile Theo Pinson zips fts at 81% and his 3 pt shot is abysmal. Somewhat ironic. Maybe Theo can "develop" Luke's talents at the charity stripe huh???

As for Tony Bennett, I think he probably develops talent better than anybody in the country. Respect the heck out of him too.

OFC

Last edited:
I wont argue with Williams's ability to develop talent, but he goes after OAD's too, as others here have pointed out. As far as development though, Maye is a solid case in point. Its Roy's sheer lying and cover-up of a scandal that gives me no use for the man whatsover.(Thats of course another story).

Back to the issue at hand, I noted Maye's vast improvement earlier, but his somewhat ironic struggles at the line (60 perecent) when he hits virtually from anywhere else left open( close to 50 percent from three).

Meanwhile Theo Pinson zips fts at 81% and his 3 pt shot is abysmal. Somewhat ironic. Maybe Theo can "develop" Luke's talents at the charity stripe huh???

As for Tony Bennett, I think he probably develops talent better than anybody in the country. Respect the heck out of him too.

OFC

Can’t really say Bennett develops talent the best though. He just incorporates them into a system. He recruit players for his system. He redshirts players. Back when Coach K had mostly program players we were always going on deep tournament runs. Not until we started getting the one and done players, we started getting the wary flame outs. Virginia is a good regular season team though. It’s easier to coach experienced players. Almost every player gets better with age and playing time

Can’t really say Bennett develops talent the best though. He just incorporates them into a system. He recruit players for his system. He redshirts players. Back when Coach K had mostly program players we were always going on deep tournament runs. Not until we started getting the one and done players, we started getting the wary flame outs. Virginia is a good regular season team though. It’s easier to coach experienced players. Almost every player gets better with age and playing time

Dachamp how bout he develops them well within the framework of his system?

OFC

If you were at the game, you saw that there was a lot more wrong with Duke than just free throws, The number of turnovers at key times was staggering. Grayson Allen is consistently shooting bricks. That Trevon Duval cannot shoot is no secret. Our kids were not ready for that defense or the pressure of the game, and communication for some reason seemed to be very low. The good news is that all of this can fade away with experience in the next 6 weeks,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT