ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN Women

No they would not. Women’s ball is such a snooze fest. It’s not that they aren’t talented or have skill either because they do. There is just such a talent gap in the women’s game, when People compare Geno to K they don’t have a clue.

Always shake my head when i hear that a womens team or woman could beat a man etc...yes...but you have to alter the match up...reduce the age of the men and the skill....serena would not beat male pro's, the USW national soccer team could not beat any male team of the same age...they were trounced by the U-15 US boys team a few years ago - 6-2!.. UCONN could not beat any D1 or D2 school i bet..they may be competitive against a HS team but a St Anthony's or any of the academies would kill them.....size, strength and speed matter....sorry but its a false claim and equivolency.

They are the real deal for sure, but the size and speed alone would be too much. I was a manager for a low level D1 team in college and every now and then I would run some scout for our women's program. At the time our women were top 3 in the conference. Now I am not exactly a great ball player. I played hs, but had zero chance of playing anywhere. I am 6'2 though, and I used to destroy them when I played. Now UCOnns girls could show me a thing or two, but that's not the point.

Unlike men's BB, there is damned little parity in women's BB. ON a typical year there are what, 2-3 teams that could win it all? I don't keep up with women's BB much, but , is this not the way it usually runs. I think women would just not be able to compete with men for a lot of reasons, Rebounding, getting shots blocked, getting pushed around under the basket , etc. Men are just stronger than women, as a rule. End of story. Good reason why women don't belong in combat units in the army and marines. But that is for a different story.

Reactions: sgrooms
To put into prospective....
The Women's US National Soccer Team that is in contention to always win a World Cup, play against the boys U15 team and do not win.

Underappreciated dynasty that is somehow blamed for being better than everyone else.

They couldn’t beat a lot of high school teams. No chance they beat a college team.

My High School team (we were good, but weren't nationally good) practiced against and basically scrimmaged the UK woman's basketball team my junior year. We destroyed them, if it was a real game, the score would have been like 100-30.

Every single men's college team would destroy UCONN women's team. I don't care if it is NAIA, JUCO, or whatever.
A LOT of good high school teams would beat the UCONN's women team.

I have never played organized basketball, but played a ton of pickup my whole life. When I was at Duke as a freshman, 5 of the women's team players challenged myself and 4 of my male friends to a pretty competitive game in Brodie. My buddy knew Alana Beard and they were jawing the entire time. It wasn't very organized, but both teams wanted to prove something. I am 5'7 and matched up against Vicki Krapohl. Their other players were Alana Beard, Iciss Tillis and two others I can't remember. This was a very talented women's squad with some height. Our tallest guy was probably only 6'1.

We lost to them by 1 basket I think. I completely shut down future team captain Krapohl. She hit a few wide open threes, but could not bring the ball up on me at all or stop me from driving. It was the lateral movement that killed them. Women just don't have the muscle density to accelerate like a man. The point is, my buddies and I weren't very good at all and hung with some of the better players on a ranked team.

Now could a well-coached and seasoned UConn team beat a good pickup team of men? Of course they could. However, if you put one 6'4" 220 guy out there, who is a D2 player, UConn would struggle to rebound. They could only beat a D2 team by shooting 60% from three for a whole game, and even then I wonder if they would win. Pitt would destroy them by 50 points.

I can see myself at 35 years old, stepping onto the floor in a Big South women's game and actually being competitive for 3 minutes at a time. I'd probably puke from the running, but I doubt they could get the ball from me. If I worked out with them for a year, I could likely start, and I'm not very athletic.

Reactions: jwill133
Fundamentally, I think they are just as good as most men's teams....They shoot well, play sound defense, pass well, etc.

So, in a vacuum, they might be equal.

However, as has been pointed out, in an actual game where size, speed, strength are key factors, I think the physical disadvantages immensely effect the outcome.

So, in the kinds of games that you see during an All-Star weekend (minus the dunk contest), they would hold their own since they do have solid skills. But a real game with banging in the paint and 6'5 guys playing above the rim, it becomes one-sided very quickly.

It’s not a knock against women by any means. Their execution and fundamental skill set is great. It’s the physical aspect of the game and I’m not taking being bodied in the paint. Only a handful of girls on the plant can even elevate to be able to dunk. They would get annihilated on the boards and struggle to defend much much quicker and more athletic guards.

Real question is, what could Geno A do with an elite set of men’s players like Duke’s? I’m guessing incredible things also.

Real question is, what could Geno A do with an elite set of men’s players like Duke’s? I’m guessing incredible things also.

I bet you're right. I'd love to have seen that play out 10 years ago. I bet there would be a big adjustment going from motivating women to men. I struggle to motivate men in my classes, whereas women seem more receptive to criticism in general. That's just one man's opinion.

First things first. He'd have to successfully recruit them.

The UConn women's program is maybe the greatest program in all of college athletics. Ever. No way they could beat a men's team, though.

Auriemma once said if he coached men he'd like it to be at Duke. Not going to happen but I think he could do it. so could have Pat Summit. Great coaches can coach anyone.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I bet you're right. I'd love to have seen that play out 10 years ago. I bet there would be a big adjustment going from motivating women to men. I struggle to motivate men in my classes, whereas women seem more receptive to criticism in general. That's just one man's opinion.

I just finished a pretty successful season of coaching 6 yr old girls. I just stuck to the basics of motion offense:

Pass —> Cut —> Barbie —> Screen.

Literally impossible to keep their attention for more than a couple minutes

Some of my best friends are coaches.
If you are a good coach and know what you are doing, girls are much easier to coach than boys. Girls tend to be less selfish. I think it is why you see the talent congregate so heavily in women's basketball. Men will form superteams - but only to the point where they can still shine individually.
If you are not a good coach, a poorly organized collection of young women can be an incredible disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT