ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon

topps coach

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
Lexington sc
Have looked at several mock drafts and it does not appear that he is in the first round so will he go regardless?

Probably gone but man he definitely could help himself via improvement in his game and money wise to come back. If he came back and developed a consistent jump shot and free throw shooting he’d vault into a lottery pick.

Reactions: christophero
Think he is gone myself but do not understand why he would go if he is not in the first round and no guaranteed money

Probably gone but man he definitely could help himself via improvement in his game and money wise to come back. If he came back and developed a consistent jump shot and free throw shooting he’d vault into a lottery pick.
I agree he could potentially make a lot of money coming back and showing off an improved jumper and a full season of great decision making. The one caveat to that could be if he continues showing those things throughout the tournament on our way to a championship, I’d say there’s no chance he’s back. He seems like a great kid but just based on the interviews and bits I’ve seen of him it really doesn’t seem like it was ever in his plan to stay here more than a year anyhow. On the flip side as well, if Tre Jones comes in playing like his brother and is a consistent threat from 3 would we be looking at Duvall coming off the bench?

I’ve also been wondering if anyone has an opinion on Tre’s status as a one and done. I know everyone originally thought Tyus would be here for a few years if not for an unbelievable freshman campaign. I sort of assume that Tre being the top ranked PG in his class would probably mean we will only see him for a year but is there any hope of him staying more than a year assuming he plays well?

His jumper is already improving, along with his decision making. If he goes he is not going first round and will be in the G League in Concord, NC

OR

He comes back and rips sh** up and has a big time coming out party and leads these monsters we have going to the promise land and goes lottery and gets bank bro.

Easy decision.

His jumper is already improving, along with his decision making. If he goes he is not going first round and will be in the G League in Concord, NC

OR

He comes back and rips sh** up and has a big time coming out party and leads these monsters we have going to the promise land and goes lottery and gets bank bro.

Easy decision.

Love that scenario, but I still think he goes.

Yeah, with the G League growing and becoming a viable and attractive alternative, a lot of these guys will go that route. Can you blame him, I mean stay at Duke where basketball is like 50 percent of your life or go pro, where it is full time bball and hanging out.

Reactions: Liftee
He's gone. After we win the championship all 4 will leave. They have no reason to come back. Trevon will be much better as a pro. College is too congested for him

Reactions: hallside
I think he's gone and should go. With Tre Jones coming in there's the possibility that his minutes will reduce and he will be coming off the bench. I don't see his draft stock improving under those circumstances.

Reactions: sgrooms
No chance he comes back.. really no change any of the starting 5 come back..

Out of all of them, I think Gary would have the most to gain from coming back.. I think he needs to develop his ball handling and driving skills.. right now, he is basically Luke Kennard, but Luke had better point guard skills.

Reactions: RanDEVILman
Why do you think trent and duval are playing so well in the tournament? Because they can raise there draft stock to 1st round status.

isn't it crazy? it used to be you'd only go if you were a top 5 pick, then it was a lottery pick and now you have to go if you're being considered a 1st rounder lol. Trevons the best pg in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he went in the lotto.

isn't it crazy? it used to be you'd only go if you were a top 5 pick, then it was a lottery pick and now you have to go if you're being considered a 1st rounder lol. Trevons the best pg in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he went in the lotto.

Trevon is raw, but he's gonna give to you ya, with no trivia, raw like cocain straight from Bolivia.

Reactions: DukeDenver
If nothing else go overseas for a year and make a little $ then get drafted here

Trevon was in the first round for much of the season, but after the ACCT, some boards moved him to the beginning of the second round. So far in the NCAAT, his play has been much better. TOs are down. His shot looks better. I see him going in the first round. Plus, when someone as athletic as him gets in front of GMs at the combine, they usually get a bump up the board.

Duval is gonna fit in great as a pro. He will boost stock at combines too, with his vertical, length and quickness.

Trent may go the other way. But shooters are always a need. I agree though, Trent has the furthest to go to play the whole pro game.

One of the issues with assuming you're going to be 1 and done is that the coaching staff will too. We have an arguably even better class coming in next year than either of the previous ones. Trevon and Trent both run the risk of going pro and dropping to the second round or coming back and either coming off the bench or seeing a minute reduction based on the logjam of talent in the backcourt.

After the NBA work outs and the Combine I think he goes late first round. To many teams in the NBA need pgs and help off the bench. He keeps shooting the way he is and working on his assist and floor vision he’ll see the court.

Um sorry he is not the best pg in the draft. Not sure what you’ve been watching. Could he become the best down the road? Maybe. And he’s definitely not a lottery pick. He will be lucky if he’s a first rounder

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
isn't it crazy? it used to be you'd only go if you were a top 5 pick, then it was a lottery pick and now you have to go if you're being considered a 1st rounder lol.

I think the G League has changed that. They can now make a salary while developing into a pro player. I assume that has a huge impact on many of these kids.

He's not coming back. Accept that. He plan was OAD and that has been known to the staff from the get go. It was part of his recruitment to Duke.

I think the G League has changed that. They can now make a salary while developing into a pro player. I assume that has a huge impact on many of these kids.

Although that is true players are still paid professionals and have all the pressure in the world on them to get better and develop, where in college he/they can develop under great coaching, In some cases better coaching (Coach K) and just be kids without the pressure of being an employee without the fear of being released/cut if things don't workout. I think that is a lot of pressure on an 19 year old in the G league.

And this post is based solely on the fact that I want him to come back and that I am selfish. So Trevon just stay 2-3 and you won't have to worry abou it :)

Trevon should call Frank Jackson, a sudden decision can throw your life into uncertainty at a very early age.

Only reason Frank isn't playing is because he's hurt. He wouldn't even be playing at Duke right now. At least he's still gettin paid while rehabbing

He's gone. I really believe he would rather be there right now. He's had some good moments for us this year but I can't see him starting ahead of Jones next year. But like all freshman we aren't sure how Jones will adjust either. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
He is gone but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t start and play major minutes next year especially with s year of experience

Never going to happen but can you imagine a team trying to guard
Duvall,Jones, RJ,Cam and Zion ? Would love to see that team pressing UNC full court. It would be like West Virginia on steroids.

Um sorry he is not the best pg in the draft. Not sure what you’ve been watching. Could he become the best down the road? Maybe. And he’s definitely not a lottery pick. He will be lucky if he’s a first rounder

ummm sorry yes he is IMO. Duke fans have completely overblown his mistakes. He's an excellent passer, scorer and plays great defense. Yes he makes poor decisions sometimes and yes his shooting can be awful, but everything else is really good. For a while he had about 6 assists a game which was #1 in the ACC. That's huge for a freshman PG. That period where he lost his starting job really dragged his numbers down and he's still at 5.6 assists. Coming out of high school, his vision wasn't considered a huge strength but i really like the way he passes the ball. Couple that with the fact that the PG market is in a huge down year and he's arguably the best choice.

On cbs tre is #2
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/point-guards/
On Si tre is #3
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/10/n...t-rankings-big-board-deandre-ayton-trae-young

I think he's the best over all pg on the market in terms of down the road and now. Especially with how he's looked in the past month he has really grown. Top 3 for sure though.

Trevon should be a great NBA PG, once he is surrounded by 4 guys that can all shoot, he will be great in open space. Recently listened to a great Donovan Mitchell interview, and he talked about how much easier it is for an athletic guard to get to the rim in the NBA because he is surrounded by amazing shooters. This should be the exact same for Trevon. He WILL go in the first-round, especially after his NCAA tournament performance.

If Trevon comes back, he starts over Tre, sorry ya'll but a sophomore Trevon would be DYNAMITE. He ain't coming back though.

Frank Jackson has been hamped by injuries his whole NBA career, think it's idiotic to call him a bust, say he made a mistake, etc. Let's get a full year of watching him healthy, then make our judgements on Frank.

Last edited:
Yeah I would plunk down a good chunk of change against someone who says Duval won't be drafted in the first round. Frank Ntilikina couldn't shoot and he got taken 8th overall in a PG heavy draft. And you know who shoots even worse than Ntiikina? Lonzo Ball. Taken 2nd overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT