ADVERTISEMENT

To all DI Duke posters here.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I just want to let all of you know how much I appreciate yo. I look forward every day to seeing what's going on. I tend from time to time to sort of separate us into pre- Coach K and post - Coach K fans. I shouldn't do that because we are all Duke fans. I miss the posters who for some reason have quit posting. Rosh, Dattier an Nivram just to name a few. I tend from time to time when we talk about all-time greats to remind the board of back in the day stars that I think you should know everything about them. I shouldn't do that. When I became a Duke fan I didn't know who Dick Groat or Howard Hurt was. All I knew about Dick Groat was he played SS for the Pittsburgh Pirates. I had no idea he was an All-American high scoring point guard from Duke so why should I expect the younger generation of Duke fans to know much about Art Heyman, Jeff Mullens, Bob Verga, Randy Denton, Mike Lewis, Jim Spanarkel, Steve Vacendek and others were. Coach K has changed everything for Duke. Before him we did have some very good teams from time to time and a couple of really good coaches in Vic Bubas and Bill Foster who took us to national championship games. Back then we didn't have the fan support we do now. Our fans consisted of a minority of in state fans and Duke alumni that relocated to other parts of the country after graduation. Before Coach K I could compare our program to that of Wake Forest as to having a good team and players from time to time. Television viewing of duke games were different back then also. It was most viewed locally and it seemed as though UNC got most of the games. Announcers were different in those days also. The ones I remember most are Billy Packer, Jim Thacker and Bones McKinney. Bones would have gotten a lot of post time from this board. Quite a character Bones was.

Now what I appreciate about the post- coach K Duke fans. You guys are as big of Duke fans as any I have ever known Your knowledge of the game is far beyond what I can contribute. You understand both offensive and defensive schemes. You are on top of recruiting. I don't really get into recruits until they commit or say Duke is in the top two or three schools on their list. I feel because of Coach K most of you are Duke fans and will raise several generations of Duke fans. My grandson who is three is a 4th generation Duke fan as to what knowledge he has of it and hat my son has found some time to do a little posting here again. He too is a post-Coach K Duke fan. There is no doubt in my mind that Duke nation is in great shape with fans like you. Our mods are the best so what does that say about post- Coach K fans. I love Duke athletics . Always have and always will no matter what level of talent we have. I know all of you feel the same. Thanks for accepting me on this board and for who I am and I still hope UNC never wins or even scores a point in everything they participate in.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC

I think I can speak for almost everyone on here, Sky, in saying that we appreciate all you do for this board. You're quite a 'character' yourself...and I mean that in the very best possible way. And even more importantly, I consider you a friend.
Now keep it up...and keep on pounding those Heel fans.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

OFC

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:
I think I can speak for almost everyone on here, Sky, in saying that we appreciate all you do for this board. You're quite a 'character' yourself...and I mean that in the very best possible way. And even more importantly, I consider you a friend.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

OFCThanks dirt. My eye balls are beginning to perspire.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC

Originally posted by skysdad:

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:
3dgrin.r191677.gif

OFC

Thanks dirt. My eye balls are beginning to perspire.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC
Ahh, come now Sky...you're just sweating that next big payment to the refs.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

OFC

Keep up the good work, sky. You and I came aboard about the same time and it has been an adventure to say the least. I enjoyed meeting you and the other guys a few years ago and look forward to hopefully having another "convention". The establishment of the Old Farts Club is credited to you and very deserving. Your little pokes at our friends down the road have been classic and you should never stop. The younger guys and gals on this site just don't know the heartaches us older guys had to endure. You are truly a "Blue Devil" and that is the best thing I can say. OFC

Sky, You are one of the posters I look for when I log on to DI. Your posts are always insightful and well thought out. I also enjoy going down memory lane with you and some of the others on our lean years and years not so lean many, many, many years ago. Keep up the good work from another old fart who has been a Duke fan through all the years with the players mentioned above---Except Dick Groat. He did become a favorite of mine when he played baseball when I found out he played at Duke! OFC

This thread belongs in the OFC forum.

Seriously though, DI is great. Duke fans do it with class. UNC fans have no class. And UNC players have no classes.

Sky you know you are a pillar of the DI foundation, there are several of you guys and you now who you are. Also so thankful that our Mod DukieJay is such a level headed mod and always keeps things in perspective.

Speaking of old timers and ofc stuff can anyone tell me how long DI has been around and who the original posters were? just for curiosities sake. I would think all teams were created at the same time by Yahoo Sports????

"The ones I remember most are Billy Packer, Jim Thacker and Bones McKinney."

The days of the CD Chessley Production. The old Pilot Life commercials. Good times in a much smaller ACC.

Good post, sky. I'm a post-Coach K era fan. I've posted on a lot of sports boards under various screen names, but DI is by far the best. A lot of that has to do with people like you and the rest of the OFC, the mods, and the general level of respect everyone has that posts here. We might have a quarrel every now and then, but it's nothing compared to some other sites where they eat their own on a daily basis.

Keep up the good work, you old farts.

Originally posted by FearTheBeard:
Good post, sky. I'm a post-Coach K era fan. I've posted on a lot of sports boards under various screen names, but DI is by far the best. A lot of that has to do with people like you and the rest of the OFC, the mods, and the general level of respect everyone has that posts here. We might have a quarrel every now and then, but it's nothing compared to some other sites where they eat their own on a daily basis.

Keep up the good work, you old farts.
I hope that we can for a long, long time there FTB! OFC

Good OP, Sky. I admit to some bias toward the opinions of those who have seen BOTH Verga and Jabari and lived through some relatively lean years and coaches like Bucky Waters. But you make a great point that the younger guys have a lot to offer and are welcome with open arms here. Even when things get a little contentious, it's all just good fun and beats watching the Big Bang Theory. Plus we're all one with respect to the Heels! For an old fart, I'm a relative newcomer, but I'm glad I arrived.
OFC

You are a fart smeller, I mean good fellow Sky. lol
We need to mean up at another game sometimes.

Right back at you Sky. I read this board for years before I posted on it and I feel very comfortable here. I try to speak to people about Duke here and they are either neutrals that root for UNCheat, or the roll their eyes.

My father and I can get very into our alma maters and it's nice to have this forum full of reasonable people to get my geek on when it comes to Duke.

Well thought out Sky. You must have had a "nap" before doing this post. I enjoy your posts and your kindness since I joined the board. I really appreciated your acceptance and welcome when I joined, and look forward to posting with you for a long time to come.
I know I sometimes come across as negative, but I certainly don't mean to, just believe in getting things off my chest now and then. Duke is like "family" to me and I bleed Duke blue!
Long live the "OFC".

JC-OFC
This post was edited on 2/20 9:05 AM by JCColsCane

I've always thought that if there was ever another Mod added to this board, there would have been two worthy candidates. One of them has always been you Sky. You posses all the great qualities that make back to this board year after year worth while.

Excellent post Sky and this is a great board. We're on to Clemson.

Originally posted by spike05rk:

You are a fart smeller, I mean good fellow Sky. lol
We need to mean up at another game sometimes.
Love to do that Spike.

Say this out loud 5 times real fast smart fellow, fellow smart.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
OFC

Wise words from a wise fella. Sky you are one of the posters that got me to start posting on this forum. In fact, I would say that without you and a few others I probably would have always just been a lurker. Thanks for all that you bring to the board you old fogie.

Thanks guys but it goes both ways. I look forward to posting everyday but also seeing what all of you are doing. We've lost loved ones and we all mourned and prayed for them. We've had prayer for sick family and friends. We've had members of this board find their better halves and marry them. We've brought countless new little Dukies into this board. It's been more than just a message board. I post on face book with a group of Duke fans called simply Duke Basketball and although there are good discussions there it doesn't even come close to the comfort and amiable atmosphere of this board. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT