ADVERTISEMENT

Thought Provoking Chronical Article - Must Read for Everyone

Very well thought out. I do not claim to know anything at all, but the article does raise significant points about Rasheed's rights. Especially if these allegations are not true, or lacking any element of truth. His career and reputation have been shot by that article.

Read that last night. Nice to have someone articulate the ridiculousness of the first article. Scary world out there when you have people jumping the gun b/c they want to push some sort of agenda.

The Chronicle has never been a true friend of Duke basketball. OFC

Can't disagree with any of it. For all the benefits of signing up with a big time program, there are a few downsides. Fame affords great opportunity: for both success and scandal.

And I think it's important to point out we don't support Sheed if any of these allegations are true.

The point of the letter to the editor is that damage has already been done to Rasheed regardless of whether it's true or not. In addition to that the supposed "victims" haven't spoke to campus security, the authorities, or anyone to make this more than just rumors.

Again, I repeat, if they were assaulted they should come forward and I think they'll have everyone's support. But the Chronicle, and a few national journalists after them, went a little too far with this "story" based only on a few allegations, but moreso on assumptions.

It's amazing how this story has just died in the media in under a week. Of course, with lawyers and privacy matters there could be a reason for that....but I have to wonder if a few of the journalists who wrote columns in the day or two after the Chronicle article are regretting now writing what they did. Because really, they have nothing to base their claims on at all.

Not sure how many pieces can be written on a few rumors and zero facts, which is what the letter was pointing out. The damage to Sheed's character has already been done. Scary world out there, when there are zero charges from anyone, and you're already labeled as such. And like anyone else, if something did happen, then let the process take its course.

The environment has changed due to mediums like Twitter and pay by click. Due to this there needs to be more protections for the accused. Names should not be released or subject to records request until charges are filed.

Interesting read. The author of the letter says:

The article failed to mention that Common Ground is a safe space, where students can share personal stories that are not intended to leave that time or place. In reporting the intentionally secretive stories of these two women, the Chronicle has not only violated their stories, but the experiences of all the former and future members of Common Ground.

I think that's only half the blame. The women who allegedly accused Rasheed told their stories at Common Ground with the assumption those stories would be kept private. But some women at Common Ground apparently then repeated the stories. Those women, not just the Chronicle, should be taken to task for that. Even if the women who repeated the stories had the best of intentions, and I have no reason whatsoever to question their motives, they shouldn't have repeated the alleged accusations.

As to the bigger picture, I really hope these alleged accusations are false. Sheed always seemed like a good, albeit emotional, kid. I was a big fan of his.

But if the allegations are true, I hope the women come forward and justice is served. I'd hate to think that at a place like Duke that women would be made to feel afraid of the backlash if they were to accuse a star athlete of assault or worse.

Originally posted by dukiejay:
And I think it's important to point out we don't support Sheed if any of these allegations are true.

The point of the letter to the editor is that damage has already been done to Rasheed regardless of whether it's true or not. In addition to that the supposed "victims" haven't spoke to campus security, the authorities, or anyone to make this more than just rumors.

Again, I repeat, if they were assaulted they should come forward and I think they'll have everyone's support. But the Chronicle, and a few national journalists after them, went a little too far with this "story" based only on a few allegations, but moreso on assumptions.

It's amazing how this story has just died in the media in under a week. Of course, with lawyers and privacy matters there could be a reason for that....but I have to wonder if a few of the journalists who wrote columns in the day or two after the Chronicle article are regretting now writing what they did. Because really, they have nothing to base their claims on at all.
Good well thought out post dj.OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT