ADVERTISEMENT

Theo John

He appears to be a definite upgrade over Coleman and Tape as a backup big. He's a senior. I don't see a downside, unless we lose Coleman. But having a 6-7 sophomore as our only big man back up does not sound very elite to me. And what happens if Coleman gets injured? We need bodies; if this guy is willing to come, take him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
I just didn't see Coleman this past season as a back up 5. He doesn't have the length. With Brakefield gone he will have his chance to get minutes as a 4. That is his future. If he won't be patient, there's nothing we can do about that.

Hope he chooses Duke but wish he had more than 1 year of eligibility. Duke front court will likely be almost empty next year with only Coleman .

Reactions: christophero
He appears to be a definite upgrade over Coleman and Tape as a backup big. He's a senior. I don't see a downside, unless we lose Coleman. But having a 6-7 sophomore as our only big man back up does not sound very elite to me. And what happens if Coleman gets injured? We need bodies; if this guy is willing to come, take him.
How so ? He sounds more like Sean Obi when it comes to the reoccurring knees injuries. He was a senior who’s numbers were 8 and 5 . No one knows what Coleman can do yet but I think he can average 8 and 5 . It is what it is though .

I like Coleman but he's 6-7. Is that really enough size off the bench against the Baylors of the world? And Banchero playing the 5 sounds like a way of getting him in foul trouble. We need another body. If not this guy then someone. But I like John other than the knee issues. He did play all of last year, even with the knee problems. Obi would be a worst case scenario. He would be filling the Tape role, and could give us more than Tape did if healthy. And we need experience. This guy played 4 years in the Big East. It should be explained to Coleman that this is a Tape replacement and he still has a role on the team.

Last edited:
I like Coleman but he's 6-7. Is that really enough size off the bench against the Baylors of the world? And Banchero playing the 5 sounds like a way of getting him in foul trouble. We need another body. If not this guy then someone. But I like John other than the knee issues. He did play all of last year, even with the knee problems. Obi would be a worst case scenario. He would be filling the Tape role, and could give us more than Tape did if healthy. And we need experience. This guy played 4 years in the Big East. It should be explained to Coleman that this is a Tape replacement and he still has a role on the team.
I get what you are saying and he would be more like Tape. 8 and 5 just isn’t eye popping for me . Maybe his shot blocking is enough .

I like our team if we add John and the freshman PG. That would be 10 guys. The young guys will need competition in practice to grow. And injuries, if I must say it.

There is still going to be questions with the roster of 10.
Does it all finally come together for Joey?
Are the knee issues going to hinder John?
Will Coleman improve enough to contribute?
Is Blakes going to be able to compete?
That’s the entire bench

We've lost a bunch of guys, some expected, some not. 6 including Johnson! We need to reload. Those two guys plus Baldwin would be nice, if unlikely. We would have 11, just like last year. 10 would be good. I like the idea of adding a senior.

I’d rather us focus on bringing in another guard that has two years eligibility if we’re going the transfer route.

The Charlotte Observer is saying Bate Jones brother of Daniel Jones will play for Duke Basketball on the up coming roster . 6’9” pf/c.
He’s a grad transfer from Davidson.

Reactions: skysdad
If I am not mistaken one of the Baylor bigs was 6-5 tall but very strong..Could see Coleman filling this role if he stays until he is a JR

We need someone who can give us 10-15 minutes at the 5 and 10 minutes at PG if we dont get Baldwin. If we get Baldwin, Moore and Keels will eat up almost all of the bench minutes. With Baldwin, we don't need anyone else, but it would still be nice to get Blake's for down the road.

If I am not mistaken one of the Baylor bigs was 6-5 tall but very strong..Could see Coleman filling this role if he stays until he is a JR
That dude (Vital) was also 24 years old.

If Duke lands Baldwin by chance , where all the minutes in the front court going to come from?

Just food for thought but Paolo, Griffin and Baldwin aren’t coming off any bench. Then add in a much improved Mark Williams and that’s already a crowded front court.

Land John it gets more crowded and if Coleman returns .

That leaves only Moore, Keels and Roach as guards and possibly Blake. Where are the minutes going to come from and I didn’t mention the senior Baker who definitely becomes odd man out.

We got Theo! I watched some footage of him. He is TOUGH. And a senior. Trust me if he is healthy this guy will really help us. (he had knee issues last year but played through it) A very good defender and shot blocker. Coleman can still get minutes at the 4. I love that we brought in 2 5th year seniors! Good job coaching staff.

Last edited:
Led the Big East in blocks 2 years ago.
Banchero, Keels, Griffin and Theo are all very physical players. I like it. So is Blakes if we get him, and I think we do. That gives us 2 guys at every position, plus the Davidson kid for practice. We're still young in the backcourt, but Theo really helps us experience wise as a team. And he should play more than Tape did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT