ADVERTISEMENT

The Disney/Spectrum crap!

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Well if you have Spectrum (like myself), you likely know by now you are indefinitely screwed. Last nite, just at the start of WAKE/ELON, SPECTRUM pulled the game on ACC NETWORK as well as all ESPN platforms.

They're not meeting Disney's money demands, so subscribers are are at least temporarily screwed. Looking for options from my Blue Devil friends today. Thanks in advance. OFC

I called and switch my provider to HTC cable provider in Myrtle Beach. Other options are Hulu live or YouTube TV. The most frustrating part of this was not notification of this dispute or possible losing these channels until they removed them last night for the games. They had no answers last night when I called about all of this and no plan of reduction of rates due to not having these channels. I paid for sports package and they are offering none as of right now. Such BS.

I called and switch my provider to HTC cable provider in Myrtle Beach. Other options are Hulu live or YouTube TV. The most frustrating part of this was not notification of this dispute or possible losing these channels until they removed them last night for the games. They had no answers last night when I called about all of this and no plan of reduction of rates due to not having these channels. I paid for sports package and they are offering none as of right now. Such BS.
Corey thanks for the advice, many thanks. I did call Spectrum this morning. CSR was a nice guy. I was glad he admitted some "furious callers" were raising hell!!

Talks are ongoing, chance it could be worked out this weekend.I do have the Hulu app on my phone. This whole thing sucks. Three new conference members added today and the ACC has thousands unable to watch!!

OFC

Reactions: dukecorey
The U.S. Open tennis tournament is on ESPN, so it's not just football. And it's not just sports. In fact, in the Triangle we've lost WTVD, the local ABC affiliate and ABC has lots of college football this weekend, including the Carolina-Carolina game Saturday night. Cable providers like Spectrum aren't exactly negotiating from a position of strength. Not sure how many subscribers they can afford to lose before their financial picture becomes pretty dire.

Wait I have Hulu and spectrum am I over paying ? You guys are more tech savvy then me and that’s a real question! Lol

YouTube TV is really good as well. Saved big bucks cutting the cable from Spectrum and XFinity. Only downside is there is a delay on live events of about 30 seconds, on average. Which I can live with - but don’t place bets with your friends on how plays are going to turn out!

Guys I guess I’m an OFC now but my questions are serious. Should I drop spectrum? I can’t go with out watching .

Reactions: hart2chesson
Guys I guess I’m an OFC now but my questions are serious. Should I drop spectrum? I can’t go with out watching .
Hey Shey, my questions about options are serious as well. Don't want to miss my Devils!! BTW, welcome to OFC!!!

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
I have had youtubeTV for 5 years. Their price has gone up, like everything else. But they have added content accordingly. We are currently doing a 14 day trial for t mobile home internet and so far it is perfect. So excited to be able to get rid of Spectrum all together.

This site suggests maybe sports fans should seriously consider out non-Spectrum options.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This site suggests maybe sports fans should seriously consider out non-Spectrum options.

Thanks Jim,looks long and drawn out. Options seem to be the way to go. OFC

Here's the part that really stinks. Pay extra for ESPN+. Because I have spectrum my ESPN+ is impacted. Why should one impact the other when I'm paying extra for ESPN+. Screw both of them.

Wait I have Hulu and spectrum am I over paying ? You guys are more tech savvy then me and that’s a real question! Lol
Hulu has a “live” option. It’s more expensive than regular Hulu, but it includes live tv. It has all the ESPN channels. ACC Network. And your local channels as well. Honestly more sports options then I had when I had Spectrum. I pay for that but I still use spectrum for internet.

Hulu has a “live” option. It’s more expensive than regular Hulu, but it includes live tv. It has all the ESPN channels. ACC Network. And your local channels as well. Honestly more sports options then I had when I had Spectrum. I pay for that but I still use spectrum for internet.
That is my setup Spectrum for Internet and Hulu "live"

Cut the cord, get an OTH antenna for non-ESPN games, and for ESPN just listen on Sirius XM like me lol. Spending 100 bucks a month on cable is just dumb these days.

Spectrum is offering Fubo TV for TWO months at a special discounted rate of 69.99/mo. for the Elite Package. You get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS and ACC NETWORK among their other channels. You may opt out after two months I am told. Thinking of this route. OFC

Cut the cord, get an OTH antenna for non-ESPN games, and for ESPN just listen on Sirius XM like me lol. Spending 100 bucks a month on cable is just dumb these days.
Not if you're affluent and can easily afford it.

I use 2 Amazon firesticks. I have a guy who can program any FireStick to get LiveTV with every channel (over 999 channels). This includes NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA league pass, and the MLB one. I pay him $25 a month. This also includes every PPV event: UFC, wrestlemania, boxing etc.

Watched on fubo! On cloud 9 today!!! OFC
Did you drop Spectrum TV? Or are you paying FUBO for channels you're already paying for on Spectrum? I'm not sure I understand Spectrum's angle here unless they are transitioning to providing just internet, similar to Google. Why encourage your subscribers to go somewhere else,?

I looked at FUBO and there are too many missing channels for me. And the missus. She has a vote too. I'm going to set up You Tube TV later today (fingers crossed). They have a free trial. I'll report back.

Did you drop Spectrum TV? Or are you paying FUBO for channels you're already paying for on Spectrum? I'm not sure I understand Spectrum's angle here unless they are transitioning to providing just internet, similar to Google. Why encourage your subscribers to go somewhere else,?

I looked at FUBO and there are too many missing channels for me. And the missus. She has a vote too. I'm going to set up You Tube TV later today (fingers crossed). They have a free trial. I'll report back.
Good questions Jim! Basically during this Spectrum/Disney squabble I am paying for ESPN, ESPN2,ESPNU,ESPNEWS and ACC NETWORK. Spectrum still completely dark on these.

Fubo advertised @ 69.99per mo. for two months, but w/fees and taxes comes to about $85 a month on a TWO MONTH PLAN. (Spectrum is pushing it because they envision a lengthy channel shutdown).

It's been an exhausting circus, I don't mind telling you. The only way I get Fubo downloaded is by what's called "CASTING" any event, game, program from my phone. Thankfully this brought up the historic game Monday nite. Duke Football is that important to me. IT WAS WELL WORTH IT!!! Picture was crystal clear, no freezing or pixilating and I was glued to screen from kickoff!!

I have 7days to cancel fubo, and may well do it, because of complicated logistics. I would simply pursue another route. Let me know about YT. Hope this helps.

OFC

Last edited:
YouTube TV is really good as well. Saved big bucks cutting the cable from Spectrum and XFinity. Only downside is there is a delay on live events of about 30 seconds, on average. Which I can live with - but don’t place bets with your friends on how plays are going to turn out!

Yeah I can not listen to the radio broadcast and watch the TV like I used to, but Youtube TV is great overall.

Stay away from FUBO. Poor customer service and ridulous downloading time. Only consolation: It STREAMED PERFECTLY for Duke-Clemson, and I got it FREE since I canceled in less than 7 days!!

OFC

I just dropped spectrum streaming service and kept their internet. Will be saving $78 a month. I piggyback off my son’s YouTube TV package at home and at the beach. I pay him for my half. I’ve been very satisfied with YouTube TV.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT