The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy. Then...

CeLUxcwUAAAigd8.jpg

And now...

CeLUw7hUMAAexCR.jpg

Reactions: Dad2ze
Posted earlier but definitely worthy of a re-post...especially since Jay Smith wrote it. Needless to say , the tarhole nation was none too happy about that. Lulz.
I couldn't stop laughing when I read the article. The losers over at THR continue to swear up and down that the men's basketball program wasn't involved in the scandal at all or it was only involved in a very minor scale and won't be touched by the NCAA but that articles proves that the men's basketball program was pretty heavily involved. In 1993 one player took 7 of the fake classes, in 2005 the team took over 100 of the fake classes, that averages out to at least 7+ classes per player based on teams having 13 scholarship players and it says the 2009 team received similar favors but it doesn't specify how many players on the team received similar favors. If the NCAA doesn't bring the hammer down hard on them then it'll be downright dispicable.

Gawd. Anything to avoid blaming athletics. "Semantics" "Splitting hairs" "Equivocations" etc...

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

Jan 2016 to Present: Media, Willingham, Smith, Wainstein, Deans & Faculty, and UNC Powers that Be were the villains; Case rests.

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

Cheating Blue Ram Retweeted B. Martin It is like dealing with my grandchildren. Everyone is at fault but those that benefited, in this case athletics.

Ninja Heel ‏@NinjaTarHeel

@CheatingBlueRam When will someone on campus finally say "we didnt supervise AFAM for 18 years and it starts with us". NCAA on line 1

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @CheatingBlueRam Amen. Same with ASPSA. Same reference.

@yibyabby @CheatingBlueRam ASPSA won't go before NCAA COI, Admin will. Take blame or deflect? Those are choses before acad side of house.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel Neither AFAM nor "acad side of house" will "go before NCAA COI" either. Institution will: for loss of control of AFAM & ASPSA.

@yibyabby I said Admin as in Chancellor, Provost and dean of A&S. They will have to speak for whole. Question is what they say.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel OK; don't bifurcate the blame. It's not either academics or athletics. Take blame for failures of both. ASPSA NOT blameless.

@yibyabby is that your guess on what they say? Shared blame?

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel Not a guess. Directly from NOA. The LOIC allegation says not just failure to control AFAM. Failure to control ASPSA too.

@yibyabby are you suggesting Univ will offer shamed blame defense to sole blame charge?

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel No; I'm not suggesting anything about what UNC has or will offer. I'm asserting the NOA charges institution, incl. athletics.

@yibyabby ok. But where does it say athletics failed in oversight? NOA puts solely on A&S. Shared blame response deflects to athletics.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel You don't understand what NCAA means by LOIC if you're trying to carve athletics out of liability. LOIC is compliance failure.

@yibyabby Ohhhh is that right? Ok then explain who is liable for the compliance failures here?

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel The Chancellor/President of the member institution and his/her delegate in Department responsible for Compliance.

@yibyabby exactly. And that person will have to answer that charge and speak to A&S specifically. That answer, whatever it is, is the key.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel You keep (intentionally) missing one big half of the equation. I get it. AFAM/A&S are culpable. No one disputes that.

@yibyabby not missing or skipping any athletics questions that will have to be answered. But "athletics admin" was not named in LOIC.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel You can say that, but you constantly avoid including ASPSA. You only say AFAM. It wouldn't be LOIC if AD was without fault.

@yibyabby legally, that sentence is written as A&S fault & aspsa role & potential eligibility are secondary byproducts. AD dotted not there

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel Believe that if you like, but if but "byproducts" then it wouldn't be LOIC. "A&S Faults" are out NCAA's "wheelhouse." LOIC not

@yibyabby Hold onto that logical reasoning.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel Will do. If LOIC winds up being dropped, then all this Allegation 5 stuff becomes moot.

@yibyabby remember also that #5 is based on roll up of 1-4 and to extent any diminished then too for #5.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel And you keep in mind this discussion is what's on the table now, and not what we think the final outcome will or should be. You're been arguing with me what the NOA says and what the NCAA means. Not what will change down the road.

@yibyabby @CheatingBlueRam Change +/- down the road is down the road. Y'all ponder SACS all you like but UNC admin has to answer this question. Probl biggest question in whole NOA. How will UNC respond to the "specifically in A&S" LOIC charge? Take blame? Deflect to athletics? Big question.

https://twitter.com/yibyabby/with_replies

The losers over at THR continue to swear up and down that the men's basketball program wasn't involved in the scandal at all

The entire scam woulda never happened AT ALL were it not for athletics...ESPECIALLY men's basketball. unx fans can play all the word games they want they can pick and choose who they wanna blame they can say "Roy wasn't mentioned..." they can be as willfully obtuse as they choose but the truth stays the same. All their bs amounts to little more than colored bubbles intended to distract from a very basic problem that many universities face. "How do ya accept and keep eligible athletes who are otherwise incapable of doing college-level work?" The path of least resistance is cheating and unx raised it to an art form. Their own Jack Evans was an architect of that idiotic APR rule that kept UConn outta the post-season awhile back. No wonder unx knew where the loop-holes in it were. They designed the damn thing. But I digress. This ain't complicated but unx has spent millions to make it appear so....or at least to convince the "base." They accomplished the 2nd part of that very easily. The first , uhhh , not so much.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

Blaming ASPSA doesn't shift blame from deans/faculty/admin. That's a false dichotomy. Blame is shared; it's not either/or.

B. David Ridpath ‏@drridpath

@yibyabby well said and very true. Total institutional breakdown!

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@drridpath Even administration capitulator, faculty Move Forwarder and ARG-defector @AndrewJPerrin can see it.

CeMtiirUEAAYBvl.jpg

B. David Ridpath ‏@drridpath

@yibyabby @AndrewJPerrin amazing

Posted tonight. Cliffs Notes version of assessing blame. Keep in mind that ASPSA is academic support for athletes. Oh , and ( as posted here before ) is/was part of the athletic department...

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

10. Mary Willingham was an insider and confessed her own involvement in and witness of wrongdoing by UNC-CH ASPSA.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

9. Kenneth Wainstein assigned portion of blame for scandal on some in ASPSA.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

8. Even w/o Wainstein's report, the supplementary docs, public releases, NCAA exhibits, SACS statements all evidence ASPSA's culpability.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

7. Chancellor Folt accepted it was an institutional failure, including portion of blame to ASPSA.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

6. SACS placed UNC on probation, assigning portion of blame to ASPSA and by extention failure of institution to control athletics.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

5. NCAA charged UNC with LOIC, assigning portion of blame to ASPSA and institution's failure to control (not just AFAM but) ASPSA.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

4. UNC instituted reforms for "wrongdoings" that specifically apply to ASPSA's organization and oversight.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

3. Former Gov. Martin recanted his earlier Martin Report "academic scandal...not athletic" statement.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

2. UNC held some ASPSA counselors liable and fired some still under employment.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

1. And even Bethel assigned culpability to some ASPSA staff (not named Lee or Bridger, and not part of his "untold story" documentary.) Still, some expect the world to disgard all that and just accept that ASPSA shouldn't bear any culpability for the mess.

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

@yibyabby Ninja's response will be "now you are just cherry picking statements, using them out of context, to suit your needs."

https://twitter.com/yibyabby/with_replies

Posted: Today 12:44 PM Re: Continual cheating scandle coverage, part eleventybrazillion

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
3130 posts this site
Ignore this Member

You do realize that the NCAA is a private organization with its own bylaws and constitution. The process is following a normal timeline for a school that does not self-impose.

NCAA opened investigation into UNC-CH in November 2014
NCAA sent NOA to UNC-CH May 2015
NOA response (not required) within 90 - roughly aug 2015
Placed on COI docket
Roughly 8 weeks after coi hearing coi issues report
After issuance of report, UNC has 15 days to appeal to the iac

With this timeline, the FASTEST the ncaa could have ruled is March 2016. Given the complexity, scale, scope and surrounding litigation it makes perfect sense that it may be a couple of months slower than the fastest possible resolution.

You need to contact the presidents of the university to get the bylaws changed to presumption of guilt. The presidents decide the rules, not the ncaa.

Posted: Today 2:10 PM Re: Continual cheating scandal coverage, part eleventybrazillion

mcpack1
MVP
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
9033 posts this site
Ignore this Member

st8dukegrad - Are you still hearing that the ncaa will announce something prior to the end of this semester (i.e. - May)?

Posted: Today 4:31 PM Re: Continual cheating scandal coverage, part eleventybrazillion

st8dukegrad87

6th Man
3130 posts this site
Ignore this Member

yes

Last edited:
Hang a banner! unx comes in next to last on the "Likeability" scale. True , Duke is only one spot ahead but Mandel offers little reasoning ( aside from Grayson's tripping incidents ) as to why Duke ranks so low. unx? Well , plenty to dislike....

15. North Carolina

The Tar Heels probably shouldn't have been eligible for this tourney what with the long-awaited verdict on UNC's decades-long academic charade now imminent. But the school managed to kick the case down the road for another year so Roy Williams' loaded 2015-16 squad could fulfill its potential. No question senior stars Marcus Paige and Brice Johnson have earned their moment in the sun. They'd just be easier to root for if they were wearing a different uniform.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...h-carolina-kansas-notre-dame-wisconsin-032316

A must read! Coy is a unx alum. I'll start with the tweet.."Salvaged?!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....!!!!!

The article. Bits an' pieces anyway. This is part an' parcel of why people hate unx and their fans. Absolutely zero contrition and a steadfast belief in the perfection of the "carolina way." And this is AFTER she begins the piece feigning some semblance of rational thought and objectivity. Even titles a segment of her article after that lie.....

UNC’s Reputation Was Impeccable Until it Wasn’t: How the University Emerged from a PR Crisis

BTW , last time I checked , the investigation still continues and SACS just ADDED a year of probation. "Emerged?!" Don't think so.

...All of this history and prestige was almost undermined by an academic scandal that touched 3,100 students over the span of 18 years.

"Almost?" lulz

The bounce back
hasn’t all been pretty, but there is a PR lesson to learn from how UNC handled the crisis.

Only amongst idiot holes has the flagship "bounced back."

I was a student at UNC at the time the results of the investigation were released. After boasting about UNC’s greatness for most of my life...

Lord Amighty , you just KNOW people hated her. Insufferable yet so typically tarhole.

...the “UNCheat” jeers from my friends contemporaries at Duke and NC State could no longer be waved off as unfounded and untrue.

Still can't , Shannon. Still can't. Check the "COMMENTS" section too. More...

http://www.neboagency.com/blog/how-unc-emerged-from-a-pr-crisis/

As usual , unx gets prominent mention. Lollers...

The NCAA’s investigation of Kalamazoo College and the consequent punishment against the school have been relatively swift compared to the nonprofit athletic association’s glacially-paced investigation of the sickening athletic scam at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

The NCAA investigation of Kalamazoo began in 2013 and was concluded this month. Evidence concerning North Carolina’s 18 years of rampant academic fraud surfaced as early as 2011.

The shocking con — which involved dozens of athletes who for years were deliberately enrolled in fake classes and awarded passing grades to keep them eligible for sports....

Deans, coaches and professors within certain sham academic departments of the prestigious, public, taxpayer-funded school were complicit in placing basketball and football players with underdeveloped learning skills in classes that didn’t exist and never actually met.

After working with students who could barely read or write — but were still somehow passing their classes with flying colors —

Amazingly, the University of North Carolina responded to Willingham’s allegations by chastising her and suspending her on the technicality that researchers must protect the identities of research subjects.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/24/n...ishing-some-tiny-obscure-college-in-michigan/

Long-time Duke fan here of over 20 years since I was in middle school. Long-time lurker of the boards for several years and definitely long enough to have seen the original version of this thread on the previous boards. First of all, thanks for doing all the work you do to gather all this information, DevilDJ.

The reason why I wanted to post this was because through all the talk of how bad this scandal has been, there’s one thing that I don’t think was ever really touched on or if it was, it’s just not been focused on enough and that’s the damage that this scandal has done to not only every school and individual student-athlete who played these UNC sports teams, but really it’s done damage on a national level outside of sports as well. Let me explain by using the men’s basketball team as an example.

First, let’s look at the 2005 season, one of the biggest culprits in this scandal. That team finished their season with a 35-4 record. If their athletes had been taking proper classes, that’s 35 times they would have likely lost. Those are times when another team should have won. Those are times, if you examine those teams they beat, that could have caused them to not make it into the NCAA tournament. Those are times when other teams could have likely beat them in the NCAA tournament. Teams who should have had their big moment in the spotlight or at least made it further in the tournament. There are players out in the working world who don’t have a ring on their finger and should have. There are players, and this one may be reaching, but there are men’s basketball players out there who may have not received a look from the NBA recruiters due to a loss to UNC. Yeah those players may have had other reasons to cause the recruiters not to take them seriously, but still.

That applies not only to the 2005 UNC team, but all the other seasons as well where there were ineligible players. There are teams and individual players who suffered as a result. Even then, student-athletes chose to go to UNC based on the years where UNC had great seasons, national titles or not, based on watching players who should have been ineligible to begin with.

I previously mentioned the NBA. There’s been a lot of UNC players in the NBA. How many of those players throughout the years of the scandal would have been ineligible to begin with if they had been forced to take real classes? So that then causes you to think how many players were denied those spots those UNC players took up? Those players have suffered as a result.

Of course this whole point about people suffering applies to all sports where there are student-athletes who took these bogus classes and then there’s the working world. What about all those student-athletes and students who weren’t athletes who took these fake courses and now hold jobs based on their degree they didn’t truly earn? There’s many jobs where you have to give the potential employer your GPA. How many working men and women out there are holding jobs based on fake courses? How many people would have gotten the job before them had the UNC graduates I’m referring to played on a level playing field with the other applicants?

If I was an employer and I had people working for me who were UNC graduates of 5+ years ago, I would be sitting there wondering how many of them were honest in school and actually took real classes and truly earned their degrees.

So yeah, just thought I’d throw all this out there. I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen anything like this mentioned and harped on in this vast thread or the other threads or places you’ve mentioned or linked to over the years.

Last edited:
Good post and welcome to the board Mike! I agree, the cheating has had an impact on so many areas and not only at UNC. Whatever punishment they get can not fix the damage that has been done.

Reactions: MikeD2891
Good post and welcome to the board Mike! I agree, the cheating has had an impact on so many areas and not only at UNC. Whatever punishment they get can not fix the damage that has been done.

Yes. Very good post. Couple of things. In addition to all those mentioned who may have been ( or WERE! ) affected , how 'bout the coaches in the ACC? Sure , they get fired all the time but how many might've kept their jobs longer had THEIR squad beaten unx to win the regular season? Advanced farther in the ACC Tourney? Won it outright? How many coaches could've used those wins to springboard their programs as far as recruiting goes? How many highly-touted high schoolers chose not to go to one of unx's ACC foes because that school didn't have the same ill-gotten gains to help lure recruits? As said earlier , "student-athletes chose to go to UNC based on the years where UNC had great seasons, national titles or not, based on watching players who should have been ineligible to begin with." THIS is an excellent point and doesn't get near enough discussion. unx's ENTIRE athletic "brand" is a result of this crap. Without the cheating , there's no Dean no Roy no NBA alums no ACC/NCAA titles etc. Kids play elsewhere. Coaches who sign these kids reap the benefits NOT unx. Heck , how many coaches left the ACC on their own ( or refused offers to coach at a conference school ) because they KNEW what unx was doing? Sure , coaching can be like a frat and guys can be loathe to blow the whistle for fear of someone doin' it to them so rather than speak up they simply take another gig. THAT is a very different world than the one we currently occupy. The effects of unx's scam are more far-reaching than we can ever imagine.

I completely agree, DevilDJ, and more of a negative light needs to be shined on those players who knowingly participated in the fake courses as well. Right now, everyone is only "attacking" UNC administration, UNC faculty, and UNC athletic staff. That's not enough. Some people would say oh well the athletes were taught things were supposed to be this way through middle school and high school. People would also just point out that these kids are 18-22 years old and don't know better. Those are ridiculous arguments and I have actually seen them in message board threads and article comments. These kids know what they're doing is wrong. People claim that the UNC academics and athletics failed these student-athletes, and they did, but these student-athletes shoulder more of the blame in my opinion.

For the record, I would still be this hard if this all occurred at Duke. I would be this hard if it happened at any school other than UNC. I worked in education during the first decade of my career. The damage it has done to other schools and students plus the lack of blame directed towards the student-athletes involved makes me madder than anything else that this scandal has caused people to talk about.

Can't make this stuff up. How well did unx do with their already existing "Parr Center for Ethics?" So well that it's former director , Jan Boxill , had to be replaced because she was neck-deep in the scam that currently has unx athletics awaiting NCAA sanctions. I'm guessin' this new site will be as effective....and as roundly ignored. #carolinaway. Another thing. Ya talk to enough unx fans and they'll tell ya the school did almost nothing wrong. "Rogue offenders" an' all that. If such is this case , why the need for all this? "Ethics and Integrity?" unx is just bustin' wide-azz open with both already , right? Lulz...

UNC Launching Ethics and Integrity Website

The University of North Carolina says it is taking steps to ensure ethical, high-integrity behavior throughout the university.

UNC is close to launching a new website that will allow individuals on campus to report “unethical behavior and questions of integrity,” according to a presentation from two working groups to the UNC Board of Trustees’ University Affairs Committee.

Chancellor Carol Folt said she feels good about where the university stands with the upcoming website.

“Universities are a work in progress,” Folt told reporters during an intermission of the full Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday. “We’re always changing and moving, but I feel really good about where we stand on that.”

Folt announced in February that the university would create a new Chief Integrity Officer at the joint recommendation from the Ethics and Integrity and Policy and Procedures Working Groups, which were commissioned by Folt after the release of the Wainstein Report in October 2014.

With a visit from SACS, UNC’s accrediting body, looming next month after the group placed the university on probation last year, Folt said it is important that these working groups have given a full overview before the agency is on campus.

“That was one of the committees that I said I was going to put in place, and so that’s part of our materials that we’ll be presenting to them,” Folt said. “They’ll be meeting with people from that committee.”

Folt said she believes the new website will be live before the agency is on campus as well.

“That website will probably be launched before we have our committee meeting,” Folt said, “which means that they’ll be able to come in and work their way through that.”

Folt said it can be more complicated to organize and streamline a reporting process at larger universities, and that it was a key for this group to find a way to make this into an accessible format.

“We wanted to create one stop,” Folt said. “You go to one place; you know where to go; you press that button and then you can find your way in so many different areas to make a report.”

Folt added that establishing the website is not a finish line from the university’s perspective.

“Because once they start using it, that’s, I think, when we’re going to find out if it’s really working or whether it needs new pieces to be put in,” Folt said. “But [I’m] pretty pleased with what they were able to accomplish very fast.”

The SACS committee will be visiting the UNC campus in mid-April and a decision will be made regarding UNC’s accreditation status at the agency’s June meeting.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/unc-launching-ethics-and-integrity-website

Last edited:
The damage it has done to other schools and students plus the lack of blame directed towards the student-athletes involved makes me madder than anything else that this scandal has caused people to talk about.

The kids aren't children. They know it's a scam and they know they're wettin' their beaks in it. E-mails and first-hand reports support this. For example , many of the classes were "bifurcated." The non-athletes did "legit" college-level work , the jocks ( in one case , at least ) did little more than bring snacks to class for everyone. The regular students knew the deal but , as one student put it , they were "star-struck." These kids had athletes in class with 'em and that was a big deal. "Hey , I sit next to Tyler Hansborough! He gave me an autograph after I paid 'im 20 bucks! Awesome! Go heels!" That said , unx DOES blame the athletes....SOME of 'em anyway. Hansflop was in those classes. I'm sure other white jocks were too. Soccer players , women's sports , the baseball team etc...they all got a piece of it. Who has been blamed though? Not one white athlete , that's for sure. How 'bout the departments? AFAM was certainly guilty but others were too. Educators? To the man on the street all they know is Nyangoro. He deserved blame but not all of it. unx has taken great pains to be very selective and specific on who , exactly , was/is at fault. The fact more hasn't been made of this is the elephant in the room. This should be about cars , money , houses and drugs PLUS the racist exploitation involved but unx has paid millions to make it about "academics" and "rogue offenders." Don't get me started.

Reactions: MikeD2891
unx alum Bob Lee...

NCAA Finally “Drops Its Hammer” on ………..

Proving to it’s millions of doubters and naysayers that it won’t tolerate evil-doers…. the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) flexed its muscle and DROPPED ITS INFRACTIONS HAMMER today on those nefarious evil-doers

…… at Kalamazoo College.

(FYI… the READ MORE does mention a certain on-going investigation at a certain University of The People over in Chapel Hill. Comparisons of Kalamazoo’s case to UNCCH are extensive….)

http://bobleesays.com/2016/03/24/ncaa-finally-drops-its-hammer-on/

Posted: Today 12:09 PM Re: Continual cheating scandal coverage, part eleventybrazillion

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
3133 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Before the litigation began scaring the ncaa straight, the ncaa rarely investigated or punished anything involving academics at the p5 schools without schools admitting the issue. The only reason they hit Syracuse was because of the litigation.

Below are some examples. The ncaa decided in both cases it was a university matter with no punishment since both schools told the ncaa that there was nothing to see. There are many, many more of these cases. This is why the ncaa went the impermissible benefits and loic route because of the mccants case. UNC-CH thought the ncaa would charge them with academic fraud and they were prepared to use Michigan and Auburn precedent that it is up to university to decide academic merit. The ncaa knew this which is why they went off of a different playbook and charged impermissible benefits.

In 2006, the New York Times reported that at Auburn University, members of the 2004 undefeated football team had received high grades in “directed reading” sociology and criminology courses that required no attendance and almost no work. This practice was discovered by a professor in Auburn’s sociology department, who also noted that football players had obtained a 3.31 GPA in the “directed reading” courses, as compared to 2.14 in all other courses.

In 2008, the Ann Arbor News reported that a University of Michigan professor taught 294 independent study courses from 2004 to 2007. Eighty-five percent of those taking the courses were student-athletes, according to the report. Student-athletes recounted that they had been steered to these classes by their athletic department counselors and earned 3-4 credits for meeting with the professor for just 15 minutes weekly, conducting little research, and devoting only a few hours per week to the class. Former University of Michigan employees confirmed that Michigan’s Academic Success Program staff relied on independent studies courses to keep athletes with low grades academically eligible

Posted: Today 1:36 PM Re: Continual cheating scandal coverage, part eleventybrazillion

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
3133 posts this site
Ignore this Member

All of these examples are going to be used against the ncaa in court, The goal is to show that when given the opportunity to protect academics the ncaa chose not to in a meaningful way. UNC-CH is the most significant and current case to show to the court where they have a new view to the world and that is to protect the student-athlete from the university.

If unc-ch is not punished severely (according to a court's reasonable person standard) then it will be tough for the ncaa to argue against a free market for athletics since these are "students". The court has already ruled ncaa rules are in violation of anti-trust. The next step is to show they are not really students either.

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark....!

Gurney...

Gerald Gurney, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of Adult and Higher Education at the University of Oklahoma (OU), where he teaches in the subject areas of athletics in higher education, athletics academic reform and ethics in athletics.

In June 2006, he received the Lan Hewlett Award from the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics (N4A). The award is considered the top honor in the profession.

http://thedrakegroup.org/authors/gerald-gurney/

Ridpath...

B. David Ridpath, President Elect of the Drake Group

(Tainted Glory is) “the best insider’s examination of a corrupt system I have ever read. His ringing call for higher education to reclaim universities from college sports is a powerful and important message.”

http://thedrakegroup.org/2012/11/07/309/

Last edited:
Good news, NCAA: We're two wins away from the Academic Fraud semifinal between North Carolina and Syracuse. The NCAA would love that Final Four week in Houston. For sheer symbolism of the state of college sports, pairing the Hall of Fame coach who self-imposed an NCAA Tournament ban last year against the Hall of Famer still waiting for his school's academic fraud verdict would feel appropriate.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ll-acc-affair-after-league-goes-4-0-on-friday

Article about unx's non-reliance on the 3-ball but the "COMMENTS" section covers other ground. Lulz...

DANIEL MCCULLOCH

I can't believe the chart with "The Carolina Way" as it's title. Really? The Carolina Way, installed by Dean Smith almost 30 years ago is a system of fake classes that allowed UNC-CHeat to keep anybody and everybody eligible and pile up wins with ineligible players for decades. It is the foundation upon which the entire UNC-CHeat mens basketball program was built.

The only reason the above mentioned team is even in the tournament is that they self reported a couple of minor violations in non-revenue sports in order to delay the onset of the multi-year postseason ban that is coming in May. The media invested too much effort helping to create the illusion that is The Carolina Way to call attention to how wrong they were and how much they were lied to by reporting on it with the focus it deserves.

Constance Jilek

They win by cheating and have been cheating for years. North Carolina deserves the NCAA death penalty, but of course will only get a slap on the wrist, kicking them out of the tournament would cost the NCAA and CBS too much money in lost viewership revenue.

Gregory Somerville

How the Wall Street Journal can do a piece like this lauding North Carolina, yet not mention even once the fake classes that the basketball teams players enrolled in and received college credits in that kept them eligible to play is completely beyond me.

It makes as much sense as the NCAA doing nothing about it all these years later. Watch out UNC Charlotte, you will probably end up paying UNC's penalty. That's how the NCAA works.

UCONN has years of 5% graduation rates of their basketball players, Calhoun is the coach. His penalty? A lucrative contract as a color man for NCAA sports.

More...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/north-carolina-the-school-that-rocked-basketball-logic-1458855878

Even though bowl games are usually associated with football, can we still refer to UNC-Syracuse, if it happens, as the Fraud Bowl?

Even though bowl games are usually associated with football, can we still refer to UNC-Syracuse, if it happens, as the Fraud Bowl?

Cuse is guilty too but only of a fraction of what unx is. The flagship's sanctions should be much worse. We'll see shortly , I guess...

Mark Emmert says investigation into North Carolina academic fraud nears end

The NCAA’s investigation into academic fraud that occurred in the North Carolina athletics program is drawing to a close, according to NCAA President Mark Emmert.

“Sometime in the relatively near future we’ll move toward a resolution,’’ Emmert told USA TODAY Sports, adding that he did not have a specific deadline.

In May the NCAA delivered to UNC a notice of allegations that included a lack of institutional control for poor oversight of an African and Afro-American Studies and the counselors who advised them and four other rules violations. The academic improprieties took place between 1993 and 2011 and involved athletes from numerous sports, according to an investigation conducted by a former U.S. Justice Department official.

Delays in the process spared the men’s basketball team, which on Sunday plays Notre Dame for a spot in the Final Four, from the possibility of being banned from the 2015-16 postseason.

“It has obviously been a long, drawn out process,’’ Emmert said. “It took the university a long time to gather the facts on their end."

“They wanted that opportunity and everyone was pleased to give them that opportunity, or willing to give them that opportunity. And it’s actually been moving forward well and in a cooperative collaborate fashion like these things are supposed to.’’

The committee on infractions must hear the case before penalties are issued.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...h-carolina-academic-fraud-nears-end/82319080/

Good point. I thought unx was waitin' on a "revised NOA." Gawd , has anything that comes outta there been true...?

North Carolina vs. Syracuse in the Final Four is a headache for the NCAA

The punchlines have already come. More scrutiny awaits North Carolina and Syracuse next week for the Academic Fraud semifinal, where infractions reports will get discussed as much as scouting reports.

Roy Williams tried to head it off Sunday night after the Tar Heels' impressive run through the NCAA Tournament got extended by reaching their first Final Four since 2009. A six-year drought without a Final Four is like dog years in Chapel Hill, especially given years of media reports about fake classes that a disproportionate number of athletes took to help stay eligible. It's arguably the most embarrassing academic scandal in NCAA history.

"I don't think (reaching the Final Four) validates anything," Williams said. "We had a problem. We're embarrassed, we're mad, we're ticked off about what happened. We know men's basketball had nothing to do with it and we're very proud about that.

"As I said the other day, my integrity has never been questioned and some people -- particularly some media people -- took their chances and I didn't like that at all. I'll never get over that. But the bottom line is I was able to go to practice every day, and my team made it a heck of a lot of fun. I'd like that to be the story instead of the other junk. That other junk's gotten a million times more publicity than I care to think about."

Given the state of college sports, North Carolina-Syracuse is quite possibly the most fitting Final Four game ever. The NCAA will dread a whole week on the topic.

We all get to remember Syracuse's self-imposed postseason ban; Jim Boeheim's nine-game suspension this year for failing to monitor his program; a report that North Carolina's 2005 championship team had players accounting for 35 enrollments in classes that didn't meet and produced easy, high grades; and the NCAA dragging its feet for years about truly investigating North Carolina until it had virtually no choice.

North Carolina-Syracuse gives more media members a timely and important reason to dig deeply into how pockets of college athletes get passed through the system without being educated. No matter what fans and coaches of North Carolina and Syracuse say, that's a good thing to scrutinize education instead of buying into the NCAA propaganda

Having said all of that, it's important to point out these are different Syracuse and North Carolina players. They get to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience and understandably don't give a damn about questions from the past.

For North Carolina, the only No. 1 seed that survived this NCAA Tournament, Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel Berry II and company earned this Final Four trip. They faced their own scrutiny this year about whether they're tough enough to make a deep run. In the process, they gave Williams something to cling to amid the scrutiny.

"The biggest regret I've had my whole life is not getting the '97 (Kansas) team in the Final Four," Williams said. "These kids have meant so much to me. I didn't want to have that feeling."

Paige, the Tar Heels' academic All-American guard who finally found his shot in the postseason, could sense how much the NCAA investigation has worn on Williams

"It's been especially hard on him because he's had to deal with most of it," Paige said. "But we've had kind of the residual effects of it, dealing with questions and stuff that don't really apply to us. That stuff happened all before us so we were all frustrated like, why are we talking about this when we have all the new academic standards put in place and we're going to tutoring sessions and meeting with academic advisers all the time and they're checking every single thing we do? Like why are we getting questioned about all of this? So that was frustrating."

Last May, the NCAA gave North Carolina a notice of allegations that included a charge of lack of institutional control for poor oversight of an African and Afro-American Studies class and the counselors who advised the athletes. A former U.S. Justice Department official found that the fake classes occurred between 1993 and 2011.

How strange has this academic fraud scandal been? North Carolina wasn't even charged by the NCAA with academic fraud. Because of how the NCAA interpreted its bylaws, the association instead charged North Carolina with "impermissible benefits," a term more commonly used for gaining something of monetary value, not free academic grades. NCAA officials have said they are limited in pursuing academic misconduct because member universities have insisted only they should determine the legitimacy of a class, so now the NCAA is in the process of redefining the definition of academic misconduct.

North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said the university is "still in the middle of the investigation. We're expecting an amended notice anytime."

Is it awkward to be waiting for an NCAA verdict while celebrating a Final Four? Cunningham shrugged his shoulders as he watched Tar Heels players cut down the nets.

"It's been going on for four years," Cunningham said. "At some point you just have to deal with it and say that's going to be this category and participation for our students is in a different category."

The lengthy NCAA investigation impacted North Carolina's recruiting. Instead of a team with young stars, the Tar Heels' best players are seniors. Williams told reporters earlier this year he's not sure he ever recruited a player longer or harder than he did Brandon Ingram.

Ingram, possibly the NBA's No. 1 draft pick this summer, signed with Duke. He has said he thinks he would have signed with North Carolina if not for the investigation. Ingram's dad told The Raleigh News & Observer that the family wanted answers to questions that couldn't be answered yet, such as any possible NCAA penalties against the basketball program.

So rather than building around a ridiculous one-and-done talent like Ingram, the Tar Heels won with veteran leadership. This Final Four was four years in the making as players like Paige and Johnson developed and productively handled their own share of criticism that came their way.

Putting aside the question of when the NCAA would act on North Carolina, there was a while this Final Four trip seemed unlikely for the Tar Heels based on how they played. Despite how talented they are — and make no mistake, this team is loaded with talented depth and should be the favorite in Houston — the Tar Heels didn’t do enough of the little things for most of the regular season.

"I think (Williams) saw their potential before they did and really tried to draw it out of them, and I think he did a masterful job of doing that," Cunningham said.

With a net draped over his head in the locker room, Paige reflected Sunday on how far this team has come.

"When we started losing a couple games (this year), people started questioning us," he said. "Basically saying it was the same team as last year. They don't have what it takes. Don't get too excited. They were overrated to start the season. And to kind of fight that, to fight all the toughness remarks ... it's been a special ride, especially for the senior class."

Williams, who has endured the deaths of several close friends in recent years, has particularly enjoyed this team. He wore his hat sideways again Sunday during the celebration, just as he did after the ACC tournament championship. These players remind Williams of how few chances a person gets in life to experience the feeling of climbing toward the top.

These players distract Williams from the never-ending investigation and the criticisms, fair or unfair, of his integrity.

"It's healed every day that I coach these players and that's what's been so good," Williams said. "This doesn't change anything except I said this -- and it's more than I ever meant anything: I wanted to get to Houston for these guys. Not for me, for these guys."

A week of rehashing the past awaits North Carolina and Syracuse. Meanwhile, they'll try to turn the present into history

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25533198

Couple of things:

1) Marcus Paige is full of sheet...just parroting the company line. Mary said unx was still cheating...they're still cheating. A 20+ year scam to hang ill-gotten banners and brag about the non-existent/never-was "carolina way" and NOW unx up an' stops? Please. They admitted to 10 mil in PR & lawyer fees. Ya do that to change your ways? All we heard about was how concerned Roy was that his players "clustered" in AFAM. They began clustering in COMM shortly after. Why not the same concern? BTW....always wondered about something. If Roy's players all clustered in , say , Math would he have been as concerned? And...

2) Roy's flat-out lying....

We know men's basketball had nothing to do with it and we're very proud about that.

...ya sure 'bout that , Roy...?

CeqAnO-XIAATnex.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT