ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect. 'Nuff said.....

CdckVbLXEAAlQvN.jpg

"I have worked in several universities but in none has the faculty whether as a group or as individuals been so disempowered as at unc...."

Last edited:
Ted Tatos ‏@BlueDevilicious

Worth re-reading @janestancill's article on UNC dismissal of Boxill. Explains why UNC academic fraud was admitted. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article12601562.html

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BlueDevilicious "…independent study classes…that required little work." I don't understand. I thought this was OK?

@yibyabby Indeed. Amazing how that PR nonsense still gets peddled even though Boxill was fired for it and UNC is on SACS probation for it.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BlueDevilicious If that is cause for termination,why didn't investigation of that concern extend to other depts? Why just Boxill's PHIL? Rhetorical question, of course.

Ninja Heel ‏@NinjaTarHeel

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious UNC investigated Ind Study of 42 depts. Found administrative mess. Many didn't even have policies. Read report.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious You mean this one? …http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpe...content/uploads/2012/04/Independent-Study.pdf

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious yep

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious It's been awhile, but I'll read it again right now. See if it's a good answer to my question.

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious good luck. They didn't provide answers just reforms. Read special topics, seminars and tutorial Ind study close

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious You're right. It doesn't answer my question. So why'd you present it as an answer?

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious you asked why concern didn't lead to other investigations. Showing that all were investigated.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious I don't see it. I see an investigation of policies at the time and recommended reforms.

@yibyabby @NinjaTarHeel That report only examined the Fall of 2011 indep. study classes. Only real investig. was of AFAM. Pretty clear why.

@BlueDevilicious @yibyabby ohh that is so short sighted. Read last of pg 7 and first of pg 9 and see if u learn something.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BlueDevilicious @NinjaTarHeel There you go. It was an investigation of AFAM, not that earlier WG, that found Boxill's practices in PHIL.

@yibyabby @NinjaTarHeel Exactly. Boxill was still ensconced in her department well after that original "investigation".

@BlueDevilicious @yibyabby non-nuanced answer. Cmon Ted its right in front of you. Do I need to draw u a picture?

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel Don't go off the rails on me in trying to argue with @BlueDevilicious . Why did the 2012 WG miss Boxill's practices? Don't have time to wait. You know that wasn't the charter of that WG. Their report is not an answer to my ? WR uncovered it. UNC fired her. Same practice seen in other depts, but no further investigation or censure

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious they quickly offered recommendations so they didn't have to admit there were no rules and they were at fault

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious So it wasn't an investigation of the sort that would reveal the sort of practices for which Boxill was fired.

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious email review no, syllabus review yes. Syllabus is pretty telling

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious WR. UNC fired her. Evidence of same practices in other depts. No investigation. Don't point back to WG report.

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious who said they fired her?

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious Oh my god. You're playing games. I don't have time for this. I'm out.

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious I'm not saying she didn't deserve to be fired, she did, it's just that all in that charging letter didn't hold up

@yibyabby @NinjaTarHeel That WG report wasn't an answer to anything. Looked at ONE semester. Never mentions Boxill, AFAM. WR focused only on UNC AFAM despite evidence of fraud beyond that department. Yet no full investigation done

@BlueDevilicious @yibyabby So WR does full review of ASPSA correspondence and finds zero in other depts. Yet you assert? Sounds good.....and that's why you are lost in the desert. That WG uncovered JN use of self-paced ind study was legit by rules

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@NinjaTarHeel @BlueDevilicious And this has nothing to do with the question at hand

@yibyabby @BlueDevilicious has everything to do. If usage of ind study is ok by rules, can't launch into "you're wrong" investigation..

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BlueDevilicious Tag! You're it. I'm not patient enough to deal with him today. and I've got things to do.

https://twitter.com/yibyabby

Posted: Today 10:54 AM Re: UNC Scandal: pg 18 UNC's team doctor implicated in Addera...

Athebeach
Noob
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
94 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Nothing new from Big 12 country.

All the talk is about UL and Hookergate. I guess the recruits sang to the NCAA. The Big 12 dodged a bullet with UL having two scumbag coaches in Petrino and Petino.

Still hearing penalties before the end of the academic year so movers will be can transfer.

Jay Smith still bringin' the heat. Goin' after that 1993 banner too....

We know that many athletes stayed eligible for competition thanks to generous grades handed out in sham classes scheduled specifically for them. But a key detail about UNC's experience with academic fraud has gone largely unnoticed -- thanks to the university's assiduous PR management and a strangely desultory NCAA investigation. The system of academic fraud cooked up around 1990 was initially intended to benefit one team in particular: the men's basketball team.

The first UNC course offered as a favor to the basketball team, scheduled in 1988, was an independent study for two painfully weak students who hovered at or below the eligibility line. They received helpful B's, and out of that little experiment the UNC course scam was born. In fall 1992 one star of the basketball team ostensibly pursued an independent study with a faculty member who was on sabbatical at the time. (I know this because I shared a fellowship leave with that faculty member.)...One player on the 1993 team took seven suspect courses with her help; four starters on that team majored in the department where she worked. UNC's 1993 championship run seems to have been aided and abetted by fraud.

By 2005, when UNC won its next national championship, the "paper class" system (so called because students had to turn in only one paper of uncertain provenance to collect their A's) was hitting on all cylinders. Players on the men's basketball team took over one hundred of the fake courses, with one racking up eighteen....Rashad McCants...landed on the Dean's list for the high grades he was awarded. Players on the 2009 national championship team received similar favors.

UNC's leaders first worked hard not to learn that men's basketball had been the driver of the scandal and then refused to acknowledge that reality when the evidence for it was finally exposed. In a comical maneuver, they redacted the word "basketball" from emails they were forced to release to the public....(McCants, tellingly, is the only player on the team willing to show the world his academic transcript, where the truth resides.)...the worst abuses occurred during the basketball championship year of 2005, the university reacted by doubling down and handing coach Roy Williams a contract extension. Meanwhile, administrative leaders continue to urge the university community to "move forward" as the dithering NCAA enables UNC's pursuit of another national title.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-m-smith/college-basketball-an-unhealthy-addiction_b_9463152.html

Posted: Today 8:56 AM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

GAWolf
6th Man
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
3041 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Who else thinks Syracuse's miracle entry into the NCAA field is an olive branch forcasting a weak slap to UNC?

Posted: Today 9:21 AM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
3123 posts this site
Ignore this Member

From everything my contacts have told me that is not the case.

Posted: Today 12:39 PM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

ncstatenate11
Recruit
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
315 posts this site
Ignore this Member

According to that NCAA document, after the COI hearing, it takes 8-12 weeks to issue the report/announce the penalties. If the COI met in February and the UNC hearing was held, we should see the report/penalties announced by the end of May. This corroborates what st8dukegrad87 and atthebeach have heard from their contacts about the penalties being announced by the end of May.

Posted: Today 1:45 PM Re: UNC Scandal: pg 18 UNC's team doctor implicated in Adderal

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
3123 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The NCAA is following the process which should lead to an issuance of sanctions in the April-May timeframe. The NCAA does not want to announce anything during their biggest money maker where they spew the constant PR of "student-athlete" and "corporate champions".

Imagine the PR firestorm the NCAA would have to deal with by issuing massive sanctions 2 weeks before the NCAA's biggest money maker. The entire tournament the media would be talking about how unfair the NCAA is by issuing sanctions 2 weeks before tournament. The NCAA does not want to have be on the defense about UNC-CH during their biggest money maker. It is a calculated risk.

You have to think about this as a business person since basketball is nothing but business to the NCAA. The last thing a business wants to do is draw negative attention during the 3 weeks where they make all of their money.

Posted: Today 1:19 PM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

biggoodwolf
Barrel o' laughs
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
7609 posts this site
Ignore this Member

According to the NCAA’s Penalty Guidelines, the following are the designated penalties for each allegation if “Aggravation” is applied:

2-4 years postseason ban (not clear if this applies to all sports or just named sports)

Fine of $5,000 PLUS 3% to 5% of budget for sports program (again, it is not clear whether this applies to the total athletics budget or only to the budget of the offending sport(s). Either way, for the "money" sports, that could be a significant sum.

25%-50% scholarship reduction of involved sports (It doesn’t say how many years this might be applied)

Show cause order – 5 to 10 years (not sure how or if this would apply)

Head coach restrictions – 50% to 100% of season (This could be interesting)

Now here’s a biggie:

Recruiting visit restrictions

25% to 50%

14- to 26-week ban on unofficial visits. No scheduled unofficial visits and no complimentary tickets!)

25% to 50% cuts in official paid visits (based on the average number provided during the previous four years)

Football: 15 to 28 visits (need to account for unused visits from the previous year, if any) Basketball: 4 to 6 visits

Baseball: 7 to 13 visits

Posted: Today 1:45 PM Re: UNC Scandal: pg 18 UNC's team doctor implicated in Adderal

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
3123 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The self-reporting by UNC-CH are considered "aggravating" factors by the NCAA.

Posted: Today 2:37 PM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

Fab5Freddie
Towel Boy
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
779 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Exactly. So, we are all expecting them to wise up and drop the hammer? I believe they have to do SOMETHING. You just can't ignore 5 Level 1 infractions, but, the longer this drags out, the more they allow them to win, the more skeptical I get.

Posted: Today 6:54 PM Re: UNC Scandal:pg 37 WRAL reporter wins award for searchable

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
3123 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The difference is Jenkins v NCAA and McCants v NCAA. This is not about punishment but self-preservation. 10 years ago virtually nothing happens to UNC-CH. UNc-CH picked the wrong time to get caught cheating.

Another bs feel-good story unx likes to "spoonfeed" the local media to counteract the scandal articles....

UNC athletes mentor kids in after-school program

The mentors especially want to help minority boys. In Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools, last year 42 percent of black students and 47 percent of Latino students scored within grade level proficiency on the End of Grade test

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/chapel-hill-news/article65933882.html

Companion piece. Lulz....

Kids mentor UNC athletes in after-school program

The mentors especially want to help players. At UNC-CH, last year 60 percent of revenue sport athletes read below a 5th grade level.

http://southerncommunity.com/newsobserver/Elementary-School-tutoring.html

From 2013 but just as relevant NOW as it was then. Professors Pike and Ricketts spoke truth to power. Ya know ,it's one thing for fans to say , "unx cares more for athletics than academics" or "the athletic boosters in the Ram's Club run unx" yada yada yada but it's another to hear TEACHERS say it...

Thomas Ricketts

I cannot join in this statement of support as I feel I do not have enough information. I felt that Ms. Boxill’s reactions to some very troubling happenings in South Building, especially the incidents involving the AHEC planes and their use was not sufficient. In the case of the athletic department issues, I also feel that we, the faculty, have not been given the full account of what has and is going on. I do not feel that the faculty have pursued their responsibility in these matters because the leadership is responding with un-critical allegiance to the administration. We do not really have much say in things, do we?

David Pike

I can only second Tom Ricketts comments – this, yes, ATHLETICS scandal and the administration’s reactions to it (as well as the faculty council’s) point to deep-seated, serious problems here that were not addressed, and aren’t going to be addressed. Regular faculty, unfortunately, are in no real position to affect the outcome of this scandal (which is what it is); the faculty council falls into line behind the administration, and that’s largely the ball game. I’ve never been in many years here an unqualified supporter of what the N&O writes about UNC-CH, but in this case, I hope they keep digging. But I don’t think it will make a difference here. The administration (and faculty council) has decided, “We are moving on.” I think Prof. Michael Hunt, in his commentary in the N&O some weeks ago, got the situation right. Everyone should read what he wrote. I also wonder, does no one care about how many hundreds of thousands of dollars South Building spent on a PR firm to give Thorp advice on his one-line comments about the scandal? I don’t think the previous chancellor is in any way at fault for the athletics scandal, just for the weak-kneed “investigation’; but he WAS responsible for the Matt Kupec affair. For him these things ended as they usually do for administrators – H. Thorp moved on to a new job since being an administrator is what he wants to be. I wonder why?

David Pike

It occurred to me to provide any possible readers of this site a link to Michael Hunt’s N&O commentary from last February. He nailed it:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/18/2690101/at-unc-ch-deficits-of-democracy.html

He also commented upon former Chancellor Moeser’s disturbing comments:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/20/2906173/ex-chancellor-moeser-criticizes.html

ex-Chancellor Moeser’s remarks reflect the kinds of attitudes, sadly, that are at the heart of the problems here and also underscore the reasons why they will not be addressed. (I have been at UNC-CH for 32 years; these things don’t change, and won’t.)

http://faccoun.unc.edu/2013/07/facu...ee-issues-statement-in-support-of-jan-boxill/

For those of ya thinkin' Dan Kane and the local News and Observer are the only ones payin' attention. New York Times reporter Joe Nocera...

Gotta include this because I can't think of any other image that better encapsulates what unx has been charged with , which ATHLETIC programs are involved and the unx defense for all of it. As linked earlier , Andrew "Fanboy" Perrin took off his light-blue truth-blockers long enough to tell B-Rad that academic support for athletes ( ASPSA ) was a de facto part of the athletic program. unx has an entire building ( Loudermilk Center ) to house all of it. Anyway , look at the NOTICE OF ALLEGATIONS then look at that delusional , semantics-filled , pizz-poor rebuttal. unx'ers just will not blame ANY of this on athletics. Why are we here...five years down the road!...if it ain't about athletics? The NCAA doesn't involve themselves in matters of academics , right? Lord Amighty...

Fascinating. Gawd...

Apparently SACS isn't part of "rest of academic world." lulz

Props to the pharmacy school. Don't recall them being mentioned in any of this though. unx hide moron jocks there too? If not , why bring it up? #diversion

Last edited:
unx alum Bob Lee comments on the recent HuffPo piece written by...

JAY SMITH reminds us that ……

Jay Smith a/k/a “notorious UNC faculty dissident” and co-author of CHEATED, recently posted a reminder of the timeline specifics of The Great Unpleasantness (TGU).

Not exactly what March-Mad Tru-Blues want to be reminded of as Roys Boyz chase another banner.

Those who have chosen to “not believe this stuff” for the past 4-5 years will likely continue to “not believe this stuff”. “Not believing” helps that Carolina Way Kool-Aid go down a lot smoother. …. Conversely, for those on the other end of the very partisan teeter-totter it is fuel for the 24/7 bonfire….

http://bobleesays.com/2016/03/20/jay-smith-reminds-us-that/

unx alum Bob Lee. "Where Are They Now?" dept. "Black Santa." Lulz...

John Blake (WHO?) is Baaacck…. in Buffalo.

It’s been several years of “whatever happened to….” for Former UNC Most Forgettable (Who?) Asst Head FB Coach John “Black Santa” John BlakeBlake; but the son-of-a-gun is baaacck in organized Football.

John is the new DL Coach for Rex Ryan’s Buffalo Bills.

It seems Rex was Defensive Coordinator for John in 1998 when Blake was HC at Oklahoma. Who Knew ??? Why did it take Rex so long to lend a hand to his former boss???

With “Spring” now upon us…. it is about damn time for the NCAA to either “slap the wrist” or “drop the hammer” on John Blake’s most recent employer before Buffalo. That being UNC @ Chapel Hill. For those who may have forgotten, John Blake was a primary co-conspirator in Phase One of The Great Unpleasantness.

It must be noted that UNC@Chapel Hill has already been sanctioned for the nefarious stuff that Blake was involved in….. that, of course, The Butcher never knew nuthin’ about….. or so says The Butcher.

http://bobleesays.com/2016/03/21/john-blake-who-is-baaacck-in-buffalo/

This is why it's damn-near impossible to argue these issues with a tarhole...

Shameless. unx's strategy to arm B-Rad with whatever he needs as quickly as possible. Oh yeah. "Reform..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT