ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different set of rules for men's basketball...

CW69_Z9UkAAiiSR.png

Crowder hand-holding idiot jocks. She should just write the damn papers for 'em...

CW11K82UwAUoIaU.png

The infamous NAVS class that unx perverted for eligibility purposes. Filled with jocks , new prof , virtually zero work required. Once done , the class went back to "normal."

CW1zTTaU8AA26cZ.png

CTqYPfMUEAAs1wf.jpg

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

To which accusations was Dean Owen referring? http://www.wral.com/unc-ch-disciplines-three-more-in-academic-fraud-scandal/15104421/ "Vindication" is a mystery too; but to what public accusations was she referring? Wainsteins? Bethel's? Willingham's Whose?

CW7QtjsUoAAW7_J.jpg

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

@yibyabby "Bobbi Owen's lawyer, Doug Kingsbery, says the Wainstein report was wrong http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...-punished-by-unc-for-role-in-academic-scandal

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@CheatingBlueRam I think that was one thing Coaching the Mind would think Wainstein got right.

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

@yibyabby Circular firing squad. Wainstein points gun at ASPSA & others. Bethel points gun at Bobbi & others. Bobbi's gun is pointed where? Worth watching. If Unverified is perceived as critical of the administration, do individuals, such as Bobbi, respond? If so, how? Should Bethel highlight short comings of UNC when it so desperately wants to Move Forward, is there room for him on staff again?

Re: UNC Scandal Thread: COI Meeting In Dec - Was unc discussed?

jacksonvillewolf
6th Man Rating: 3.0/5 this site
2539 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Does anyone know whether or not UNC was on the schedule to be discussed in the December meeting? Obviously, Hawaii must have been. Would just like someone to answer this SINCE IT IS IN TITLE OF THE THREAD!

Re: UNC Scandal Thread: COI Meeting In Dec - Was unc discussed?

st8dukegrad87
6th Man Rating: 3.4/5 this site
2876 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The report of the COI comes out 8-12 weeks following the COI. Hawaii was either discussed at a previous COI or they negotiated a settlement (plea deal). I know that UNC-CH was discussed in the context of litigation where the NCAA is a defendant. I also know that UNC-CH knows the penalties are going to be bad and they are actively try to negotiate post season ban, fine and scholarship loss down. Vacated victories are not negotiable. UNC-CH is panicked...

UNC scandal tops list of 7 most-read N&O opinion pieces of 2015

2) UNC sacrificing Hatchell to protect men’s teams in scandal

JULY 20
Meghan Austin: All of my life I have been taught that sports aren’t just about winning and losing, but about teaching life lessons. Throughout my four years at the University of North Carolina, Coach Sylvia Hatchell and her staff did just that.

And No. 1 .... What UNC must do: Fire Williams, remove banners, forfeit wins

JUNE 1 Patrick O’Neill: More important than whatever action the NCAA takes against the University of North Carolina for what is perhaps the worst athletics-academic scandal in collegiate history is what the UNC administration will do to reel in its corrupt athletic department and its aiders and abettors.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/opinion-shop/article51291810.html

#5. Hang a banner...

5. NCAA issues Notice of Allegations in UNC scandal

The NCAA’s long-awaited Notice of Allegations into the longstanding academic fraud at North Carolina arrived in May, leveling an accusation of “lack of institutional control” at the university, the NCAA’s gravest charge, while raising as many questions as it answered.

The notice classified the phony classes and grade changes as “impermissible benefits” instead of a more blanket indictment of the methods used to keep athletes eligible, primarily in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. North Carolina’s response was due to the NCAA in August, but has been indefinitely delayed after evidence of more infractions emerged this summer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article51536815.html

UNC Email: “I passed all your football players. Most actually passed on their own.”

We’re getting a clearer picture of what happened in the academic scandal with UNC's athletic program. 2 Wants To Know found an e-mail where a TA wrote to the former associate director of the academic support program.

The TA typed: “I want to let you know that I passed all your football players. Most of them actually passed on their own. (name withheld) and (name withheld) were the only two that had averages below 60% but I gave them both a D.”

The TA also wrote that two players had “suspiciously similar exams” and “may have also been passing a calculator back and forth during the exam, which is certainly not allowed.”

This document is one page of millions of records the school plans on releasing from the investigation. An attorney has to comb through each page first to make sure student’s private information isn’t released. So the school is making pages public in groups. UNC released the latest group of 200,000 pages right before Christmas break. 2 Wants To Know has been reviewing them since.

The documents also show some positives about the football program. One e-mail reads, “Beth and her staff did an outstanding, herculean job working so professionally, diligently, and thoughtfully with these students. I dropped into study hall a couple of nights to conference with the students, and I really liked what I saw.” 2 Wants To Know reached out to the school for comment. Because it’s the holiday, we haven’t heard back yet.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news...yers-most-actually-passed-their-own/77953672/

Reactions: harttochesson
At Risk (Part 2)

This is Part 2 of a 2-part series.

"Academically at risk"
"Academically under-prepared"
"Not ready for college-level work"
"Special Talent exemptions"

These are familiar terms applied to some collegiate student-athletes in discussions about balance between college academics and athletics. While each phrase might convey a slightly different tone, they're non-specific and general enough to not ruffle too many feathers, with the surrounding debate centering on what constitutes "not ready" or "at risk."

But what about...?

"Can't read at the college level"
"Middle school reading equivalent"
"Non-reader" or the most incendiary: "Functionally Illiterate"

That's a whole different ball of wax. Unless the student-athlete is someone like Dexter Manley who is courageous enough to self-profess a reading deficiency, such a characterization as "illiterate" is viewed as disparaging. It certainly doesn't reflect well on the college, not only if an illiterate student is admitted, but if the student is able to somehow maintain academic standing and progress toward graduation.

Illiteracy doesn't mean stupid. Equating reading ability with intelligence is ignorant. There are also varying degrees of illiteracy making the concept contextual. The threshold for "functional illiteracy" is fuzzy, and how to gauge reading and writing proficiency to be at the "college-ready" level is, itself, a matter of discussion; though many articles seem to consistently set the bar for "at-risk" around 8th grade equivalency. (I'm sure that will be disputed by some, but that's tangential to this article.)

For a couple of years, after she'd left the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (ASPSA) at UNC, Mary Willingham began trying to raise awareness within the University of what she saw as a rot in the education of those student-athletes normally deemed academically at-risk. Hidden behind the softer "at risk" term was an ugly reality which, she claimed, meant made it impossible to educate these students on a collegiate level precisely because of their reading and writing deficiencies. Either such students needed more remedial help first or, if that wasn't going to be provided, then they shouldn't be admitted.

It appears that around 2013, she started citing some findings she had somehow derived from UNC's own test data of identified "at-risk" students, providing metrics based on grade-equivalency reading proficiency of those student-athletes. How she calculated these levels, she has yet to explain; however, her goal was to increase the heat on an administration and faculty she felt was ignoring her, particularly in the context of ongoing studies and investigations about curriculum irregularities that she felt were inadequate or had ulterior agendas. (Critics say she sought the spotlight and failed to give her colleagues and the University a chance to work the issues she was raising.)

I'm the first to charge Willingham with resorting to hyperbole and being a less-than careful "researcher." And when Sara Ganim's CNN report in January 2014 hit the airwaves and Internet, a firestorm ensued, and I was, at first, on the University's side, feeling she had been leveraged by the most extravagant example of outrage journalism.

She wasn't merely talking about student-athletes not being ready for college-level work anymore. Now she was saying to the public that athletes at UNC couldn't read.

Had Willingham and Ganim gone too far? Had they embarrassed and disparaged Tar Heel student-athletes and impugned the University with such language. Saying the school "might as well have gone...to Glendale Elementary and let all the 4th graders in here-- 3rd graders" -- yes, that was a rhetorical gut shot. And Ganim's reporting didn't discriminate between the minority of student-athletes Willingham's findings described and the entire student-body of athletes at UNC.

The reaction was swift, with the University's Vice Chancellor and Provost denouncing the report as a travesty, and Coaching the Mind launching as Willingham's harshest critic. The University sought to refute the claims by contracting with third-party experts to review her data in an attempt to prove Willingham's analysis was grossly overstated and lacking merit.

What was so egregious about her claims?

She said that 60% of the revenue sport student-athletes who were tested from 2004 to 2012 had been assessed with reading proficiency levels of 8th-grade equivalent or below. And that 8-10% of that same group were as low or lower than 3rd grade readers, i.e. effectively functionally illiterate.

Outrageous-sounding, no? But why? Was it so unbelievable?

Much of the calumny comes from misunderstanding what Willingham was saying; and that was in no small part thanks to Willingham's own silence, failing to correct media misinterpretations of her claims, not to mention her own exaggerations of the extent of the problem.

Often missed is that Willingham wasn't saying 60% of UNC student-athletes were not college-ready readers. She was saying 60% of a small subset of UNC student-athletes had reading disadvantages, and that small subset group was specifically comprised of admitted student-athletes identified as "at risk" academically. No inferences regarding the entire student-athlete population can or should be made from what could be found in that small, non-random sampling The 60% was descriptive only of that specific sample group.

The same is true of the 8-10% finding of 3rd grade or below non-readers.

If Mary's percentages were right, how many was she talking about?

She claimed to have relied on test data of 183 student-athletes who had been assigned to ENG 100 (ENG 10) from 2004 to 2012; a nine-year period. She said 85% of these were revenue sport athletes, which typically means football, men's basketball and women's basketball. That puts her core number at around 156 student-athletes. Take 60% of that and that's 93 student-athletes with assessed reading level of 8th grade or below. Across 9 years, that's 10 per year.

Doing the same thing for her 8-10% of claimed "functionally illiterate" and you get 1-2 per year.

Now, let's overlay those new "literacy" categories over the previous diagram from Part 1:

UNC%2BFreshman2.jpg

More...

The only change here is the addition of Mary Willingham's 60% and 8-10% groupings. Willingham's percentages, when converted to raw numbers, do not exceed the "committee case" totals and cannot be translated to include anyone not admitted "at risk."

It paints the same picture as depicted previously, but now with the incendiary description and granularity of an "illiterate" subset, which could only possibly reflect negatively on a couple of student-athletes each year, but who aren't personally disparaged because their identities are protected by privacy laws.

Yet the University and Bethel chose to react as if all of student-athletes had been disparaged. UNC's own response in the wake of the CNN report cited figures of all student-athletes in contrast, as if Willingham's numbers were inferential.

Bethel and Co. have missed the forest for the trees; perhaps intentionally but probably not. It was probably more an emotional, visceral reaction; one that continues to convince itself that it's motivated to defend against the insult toward student-athletes, but which more likely comes from the sting of the implications on academic support, admissions standards, faculty teaching quality, administrative oversight, and the suggestion of athletic exploitation of those failures for the purposes of maintaining student-athlete eligibility.

While carrying the banner for the supposedly disparaged, they've failed to allow that Mary Willingham's underlying message was true. Bethel's own cautionary email to the new Chancellor spoke to the same concern regarding admission of student-athletes not adequately prepared to succeed at UNC.

Were a couple of incoming students in each year's pool of liberally admitted student-athletes functionally illiterate? Does it really matter whether not they were or not, technically speaking? Would it have been all that surprising, given the numbers of special admits and the extreme lows that some of their admissions scores revealed (i.e. low and even sub-300 verbal scores)? Willingham very easily could be wrong in her precision, but it's hardly the travesty Bethel and UNC have made it out to be. It's not only feasible, but likely that some functionally illiterate "non-readers" were coddled through the system during the 2004-2012 time frame; yet they've used the counter outrage as a red herring, seeking to discredit Willingham's message -- along with charges of ethics violations, character flaws and other classic character assassination and anti-whistleblower tactics -- to distract from how the University, itself -- all parties --failed to respond until called on the carpet and then attempted to minimize the damage and restrict the guilt, all while patting itself on the back for its reforms and Moving Forward.

I'm no fan of Mary Willingham, though I won't recount the reasons why, here and now. That should have no bearing on interpreting the message she was conveying. Admitting students too under-prepared for college-level work without also addressing that capability gap before permitting them to pursue their "special talent" specialty, is THE recipe for the sort of scandalous academic malfeasance that transpired at UNC. Literacy was never the real issue.

http://mindingthecoach.blogspot.com/2015/12/at-risk-part-2.html

Re: UNC-CHEAT Scandal - When is judgment day?

st8dukegrad87
2879 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:13 PM

There can be no appeal until the COI rules. UNC-CH has pulled out all of the stops and are attempting to negotiate an agreement. UNC-CH knows how bad the punishment will be if the COI is allowed to rule. It would not shock me to see a settlement be announced the day after UNC-CH is knocked out of the NCAA tournament. Right now UNC-CH has 3 missions:
1. Allow MBB to compete for a national championship assuming they make it that far
2. Lock up football recruits
3. Lock up basketball recruits.

At this point, there is a small percentage chance that the COI ever rules from what I am hearing.

st8dukegrad87
2879 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:13 PM

There can be no appeal until the COI rules. UNC-CH has pulled out all of the stops and are attempting to negotiate an agreement. UNC-CH knows how bad the punishment will be if the COI is allowed to rule. It would not shock me to see a settlement be announced the day after UNC-CH is knocked out of the NCAA tournament. Right now UNC-CH has 3 missions:
1. Allow MBB to compete for a national championship assuming they make it that far
2. Lock up football recruits
3. Lock up basketball recruits.

At this point, there is a small percentage chance that the COI ever rules from what I am hearing.

What do you make of this DevilDJ? I read it on PP and it makes me worry that they may in fact walk away with minimal punishment.

This makes me feel better....

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
2880 posts this site
4:10 PM

From what I am hearing (and it is limited as the NCAA has really gone silent over the month of December) the negotiations are with NCAA enforcement. It would be very unusual for UNC-CH to negotiate with the COI. Just because UNC-CH is negotiating does not mean the penalties will be light. As an example, UNC-CH has virtually no chance to negotiate on vacated victories as the rules are crystal clear that if an ineligible player participates that victory is gone.

UNC-CH is mainly negotiating the number of years of post season bans in MBB and football as well as how many scholarships will be lost and how many years they will be on probation as well as monetary fines.

Athebeach
Noob
Rating: 3.1/5 this site 74 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 4:10 PM

My sources say early Feb at the latest.
There is no appeal process. There is no lobbying the COI. There is no legal option unless the NCAA acts ILLEGALLY.

For those saying the ACC will act? I really hope that was in jest. Swoff is in too deep.
Remember folks, the NCAA has ALL the emails, without being redacted.

st8dukegrad87
6th Man
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
2880 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 4:10 PM

From what I am hearing (and it is limited as the NCAA has really gone silent over the month of December) the negotiations are with NCAA enforcement. It would be very unusual for UNC-CH to negotiate with the COI. Just because UNC-CH is negotiating does not mean the penalties will be light. As an example, UNC-CH has virtually no chance to negotiate on vacated victories as the rules are crystal clear that if an ineligible player participates that victory is gone.

UNC-CH is mainly negotiating the number of years of post season bans in MBB and football as well as how many scholarships will be lost and how many years they will be on probation as well as monetary fines.

Last edited:
What do you make of this DevilDJ? I read it on PP and it makes me worry that they may in fact walk away with minimal punishment.

At this point , I tend to believe what "st8dukegrad87" says re: post-season bans , probation and monetary fines and I'm good with that. For 5 YEARS unx has tried to tell us they're innocent and/or this was all about "rogue offenders." For them to eschew all that bs and just try to negotiate more favorable terms of their sanctions is a good sign for anyone wanting those cheating scumbags to be held to any level of accountability.

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
Yeah, plus he implies that vacated wins are non-negotiable so that is good to hear as well.

Yep. And if that IS , in fact , "non-negotiable" , there's no gettin' around it...banners come down. Heck , the banners have always been secondary to me. Sure , ya can't let a bank-robber keep what he stole but I've always been more concerned with post-season bans and schollie losses. As far as I'm concerned , unx can keep their ill-gotten gains ( everyone KNOWS how they were won anyway. ) Subtracting scholarships and takin' their fball and mbb programs outta the post-season for 2 or 3 years ( at least! ) would be devastating. Zero MickyD'ers and no March Madness anyway?!?! No bowl games no matter how low-tiered?!?! See ya , Roy. See ya , Larry. See ya , holes. Give us a shout when ya get back in town. Enjoy your vacation. unx'ers would look at 8 & 20 as being "the good ol' days." Unfortunately , if anyone can erase a multi-year post-season ban quickly , it's unx. But that would be ok too. They've lost the moral high ground forever anyway but the yay-hoos...the WalMarters...the typical unx fan still acts as IF. So do too many in the NC media. Slapped in the face with post-season bans , they couldn't ignore it. Every time unx plays on tv or is written about , the story would be the same..."unx cheated." Heck , the first year they regained eligibility THAT would be the same story then too. Glorious.

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
13306 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:57 AM

In the bowels of a CC in the state of NC, a mole has relayed this conversation that was overheard after Big Ram had a little too much alcohol. (not drunk but loose lipped...)

Person A, : " ****** do you believe we will get hit hard by the ncaa?"

Person B, " H yes we are going to hit hard. It would take an idiot to believe otherwise. Those fools at Indy really don't know the half of what went on. Our PR people have done a great job and are still on duty. Those saying we spent 15 mil are so low ball it makes me laugh. We are going to lose a banner or two but that is not a problem and that is not what our brand is all about. Let me tell you what our brand is about. It is about generations supporting our school and watching us beat the living cr@p out of cow school and puke. It is about millions watching and remembering Jordan. It is about all our fans sporting our gear after an ACC or a national championship. It is about watching the Duke and STate gear going into the closet for yet another season. It is about watching the little kids wear our colors. It is about packing the dean dome with hard to get tickets. It is about giving those tickets to our legislators and customers for future considerations.

It is about reading of our national accolades. Dumb jocks will never destroy our school. Did we screw up? H yeah! We screwed up getting caught. If anyone, anywhere, thinks some of these guys could pass a legit course they are eating cheesecake.hahahah. You can take it to the bank we will have a system in place where we can compete on a national level. Our legit graduates living in other states are proud of their school and part of that pride is the success of Tar Hell basketball. People outside of NC know about our banners and championships and that will never change. We got sloppy with our system and you can bet the bank that Dean would not have let this come out. I love Roy but his mouth running on about Wayne was stupid. Boxill is an idiot with her situation ethics bull cr%p. I will bet even money that Rat Face has his Wayne Walden running around somewhere."

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/12/29/univ-of-n-c-email-shows-athletes-passed/

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – A clearer picture of the academic scandal at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s athletic program — in which the university allegedly failed to comply with several key operating principals — is emerging.

An e-mail was found by WFMY in which a TA wrote to the former associate director of the academic support program. The TA typed:

“I want to let you know that I passed all your football players. Most of them actually passed on their own. (name withheld) and (name withheld) were the only two that had averages below 60% but I gave them both a D.”

The TA also wrote that two players had “suspiciously similar exams” and “may have also been passing a calculator back and forth during the exam, which is certainly not allowed.”

This document is one page of millions of records the school plans on releasing from the investigation. An attorney has to comb through each page first to make sure student’s private information isn’t released. So the school is making pages public in groups. UNC released the latest group of 200,000 pages right before Christmas break. 2 Wants To Know has been reviewing them since.

The documents also show some positives about the football program. One e-mail reads, “Beth and her staff did an outstanding, herculean job working so professionally, diligently, and thoughtfully with these students. I dropped into study hall a couple of nights to conference with the students, and I really liked what I saw.”

The director of media relations for UNC writes about the records to WFMY:

“The University places a high priority on transparency and this is part of a long series of records releases that began on Oct. 21, 2015. We expect the releases to span over the next five to seven months. It is important to note that we have implemented more than 70 reforms and initiatives since 2011 – when the irregularities ended – to provide greater administrative oversight and additional support for students. The University continues to monitor the effectiveness of those reforms and, wherever needed, put additional safeguards in place. Please monitor the Carolina Commitment website to track our progress with these initiatives, which we’ve put in place to promote academic integrity.”

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 10:37 AM

I just want to reiterate that the COI not ruling does not mean a wrist slap. This is not a criminal proceeding but to use a criminal analogy a defense lawyers negotiates with the prosecutor for a guilty plea for murder if the death penalty is taken off the table. I am not saying that the death penalty was ever on the table either, just an analogy. The murderer is still going to jail for life even though they negotiated a plea deal.

The NCAA wants to have a punishment that they believe will not hurt them in the on-going litigation while getting this case closed with no appeal.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Syracuse and Jim Boeheim are watching this (with their lawyers) very closely....

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

They are absolutely aware ( of what's at stake in the McCants vs unx/NCAA case. ) The McCants case is a key reason they went the impermissible benefits route, this is the line they are trying to walk between the two cases. The NCAA is corrupt and close to pure evil, even Walter Byers felt this way at the end. The UNC-CH PTB and the NCAA PTB are very similar organizations. They will both do anything to protect themselves and allow their corruption to continue unabated.

The NCAA has stated the below in court filings:

O'Bannon case

The NCAA has as its principal mission is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as “an integral part of the educational program” and to promote the academic well-being of the athlete. The NCAA likewise insists that it is dedicated to the athletes’ educations first and foremost — that “at its heart, the NCAA is an education entity.”

McCants case

the NCAA claimed that it has no responsibility to safeguard “the academic integrity of the courses offered at its member institutions”. It further declared that it has no role in ensuring “the quality of the education student-athletes receive at member institutions or (in) protect(ing) student-athletes from the independent, voluntary acts of those institutions or their employees.” The NCAA emphasized that it is far “removed from students’ day-to-day academic experience.” Most emphatically, it contended it has no “direct relationship with student-athletes in the academic realm.”

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The NCAA has all of the transcripts between 2002-2011. the NCAA has all of the classes that were related to impermissible benefits. The NCAA has all of the un-redacted emails.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

They ( the NCAA's position in the OBannon case vs their position in the McCants case ) absolutely are contradictory and those quotes come from court filings in the O'Bannon and McCants case. They are like Roy when one hand he stated that MW was lying because he knew exactly what his players did academically and then on the other hand he stated he had no idea what his players were doing academically.

They are both corrupt to the core.

To a poster claiming that unx will "skate..."

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Just curious, what is your definition of "skate"?

ClevelandSteam74
Recruit Rating: 2.4/5 this site
297 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 2:31 PM

My definition of skate: anything not including all of the following...

- 2009 and 2005 basketball titles revoked.
- All conference championships revoked (by the ACC) from 2002 to 2009 for any sport involved
- All wins forfeited during 2002-2009 timeframe where any athlete involved in impermissible benefits participated in a contest.
- Three years of 25% scholarship reduction for all involved sports.
- Five years probation.
- $20,000,000 fine to be distributed equitably among all ACC teams
- No penalty for any athlete choosing to transfer to another institution within or outside the ACC
- No off-campus recruiting for 2 years for all involved sports
- In lieu of a television ban, a public televised apology to be broadcast during any game involving UNC which will be in place of the normal university promotional spots that air.
- School will pay the full four year cost of attendance for any athlete pushed through the sham curriculum, to the school of their choice.
- Show-cause enforced on any coach whose sport was shown to be involved.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Then they are going to skate since some of ( that ) violates NCAA bylaws and procedures

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

For the most part no one cares about academics, it is common knowledge at the NCAA that nearly all P5 schools have athletes admitted (specifically in the sports of MBB and football) that are not capable of college level work. So, the mission becomes to keep them eligible hence the massive amounts of money spent on academic advising/tutoring services for athletes.

What the NCAA and its member care about is money. This is why Jenkins is so important, along with the O'Bannon precedent. Anti-trust is the avenue to bring the NCAA down. As for the Senate, my contact is in the minority party and will have a difficult time bringing up hearings. If you want hearings the person to contact is John Thune.

I still believe that what will ultimately happen is that Congress will grant limited anti-trust immunity in return for players having the right to have legal counsel before entering into any agreement, some type of revenue sharing for NIL ( Name , Image , Likeness ), expanded stipends, players have a significant role in rules and procedures of the NCAA, healthcare for life for any injury sustained while competing in college and a few other things. Congress would have oversight of the NCAA to insure that the agreement is being met.

As I said above I think Congress will ultimately resolve this by granting a limited anti-trust exemption in return for athlete rights. I will do everything in my power to bring the NCAA to account for the actions that are in violation of US anti-trust law. Amateurism as a defense to violation of anti-trust was struck down by the trial judge in O'Bannon and the 9th circuit upheld that opinion. I fail to see how athletes being able to market their NIL has any bearing on whether or not they are a student. NC State has multiple athletes that will take the field tomorrow that have no business being on NC State's campus but for their athletic ability. The only reason the NCAA ever uttered the words "amateur student-athlete" was to protect themselves and their member institutions from worker compensation claims. It was and is about the money with respect to the NCAA.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

I don't know the NCAA motivation ( to negotiate a settlement ) other than getting the case closed. Atthebeach may want to chime in on what he is hearing.

Mentioned here previously. Deb Stroman....

Deborah Stroman ‏@drstroman

Good luck @TarHeelFootball! Proud of this team for accomplishing great things on and off the field! #BeatBaylor

CXbDrFJWAAIM9-w.jpg

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

She is deep in the fraud.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Most adjudications at the NCAA are done without the COI ruling.

st8dukegrad87
2903 posts this site
Ignore this Member

The COI is a group of individuals from around the country, they meet 6 times a year. The COI is not based anywhere.

Another reason unx should be nuked...

Brian Barbour ‏@tarheelblog

UNC dumped some more Wainstein docs. Somewhere a bunch of people are combing through them like they'll find something that matters.

Yes sports fans a butthurt unx fan posted this tonight...

"As a quick point of order; we're playing one of the Top 3 shadiest programs in America today (Ole Miss and Auburn hold the other top 2 slots). Those lines full of 'grown *** men' had their 'grown assness' greatly assisted by rampant PED use. Baylor is one of the only things you'll get UT and A&M fans to agree wholeheartedly on. They're filthy. JUCO's with fake transcripts, major cash under the table, roid use to explosively develop undersized athletes, real grade fixing on a scale that would make Dan Kane orgasm into a stroke.

Being a private school is an incredible, incredible advantage in this climate. They can do whatever the **** they want to; and if any UT or A&M loyal media try and push them; they tell them to eat a thousand dicks. No FOIA in private land."

ABC11 EyewitnessNews ‏@ABC11_WTVD

Did botched ACC Championship call cost UNC millions?

Ya believe this crap?! Part an' parcel of why that cesspool hasn't yet had their day of reckoning. The local media writes slobber pieces like this. What are we supposed to do? Feel empathy for poor ol' unx? How many championships and how much money did unx cost rivals by cheating unabated for 20+ years? Unreal.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Corrupt to the bone...

"It's not what you know. It's not who you know. It is who knows you on a favorable basis."

- Deb Stroman

http://www.dstroman.com/

Her company , LASER , doesn't exist anymore but it used to and it existed WHILE she was at unx. Someone with a business providing services for collegiate athletes AFTER they transition to professionals would NEVER have a vested interest in keeping potential clients "eligible" while they're in school , would they...?

She remains entrepreneurial as she advises athletes as they transition from their sport career (http://laser10.co).

Dr. Stroman is the owner of LASER (Life After Sports With Effective Results™), which provides career coaching and transition planning to former professional athletes.

http://exss.unc.edu/faculty-staff/deborah-stroman/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT