ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
unx alum Bob Lee...

Back in 2008, anyone who had even a gram of suspicion that The carolina Way was as bogus as leprechauns riding unicorns to Oz was not going to become a unc Trustee. I guarantee you.

If you are not a washed-in-the-blood “true believer” of your intercollegiate institution you will not become one of its trustees. You may not be a hard-core “jock-sniffer” but you better “bleed (insert primary school color)”.

If you question the Virgin Birth / Resurrection you won’t be a deacon in any mainstream denomination. It is 2015, you could be a lay leader in some uber-progressive Olin T . Binkley Whatever.

The day before Marvin hit SEND, not one of uncCH’s thirteen sitting trustees were questioning the infallibility of The carolina Way…. or whether Dean Smith was the 4th member of the Holy Trinity. Before unc or The Titanic hit their respected icebergs, they were both considered “unsinkable”.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth Millions of $$$ of Clean/Cover-up.

Do you really believe 60+ Power Five Schools’ Boards of Trustees are now saying to one another:

“Could what happened at unc be going on here? Is there any way our millionaires Coach Hardrock and Coach SilverTongue could be running eligibility schemes or thug-asylums here on our hallowed campus?”

That question has likely been raised on some boards by some rational minds; and in every case could it happen here was met with ABSOLUTELY NOT HERE at Wonderful Whazzamatta U. ….. Case in point just blew up in Waco, Texas at Baylor.

Bragging rights-obsessed jock-sniffers will soundly harrumph the dickens out of even a whiff of possible malfeasance.

I’d love to know which Power Five schools have run their own diagnostic investigations a/k/a academic audits in the wake of Chansky’s nemesis Inspector Wainstein’s controversial looky-see amid the nooks & crannies & lofty pines.

As castigated as unc’s BOTs (and BOGs) have been over this mess, the reality is they were poleaxed by this entrenched malignancy. There had been no perceived reason to “place a hidden camera in the choir loft”.

Should every advisory board include a few Doubting Thomases?

Should you ever hire a sassy divorcee as your back-up organist?

COMMENTS:

BOBLEE

Ron Reagan’s “Trust but Verify” might fit in somewhere.

With TGU, the BOT looked to the Chanc for assurance that “all systems were in place”. The Chanc looked to his AthDir who said “Yep, it’s just peachy keen. Want some C(arolina) W(ay) wine … Hark The Sound” and that was as far as any “verifying” went. Then both the clueless preacher (Dickie) Fennigan and Naomi (Deb/Jan) were given big fat pensions and the solution was “lets blame Dan Kane”.

A hidden camera in the choir loft could not have hurt.

PORCOPHILE

Ah, the parable of the cheating deacon. Well done.

You know, the sorry thing is that if the Rams Club (or whoever calls the shots in Chapel Hill) had told unc’s administration five years ago to clean house and apologize, it would all be over by now and Dean Smith’s reputation would be safe. This dodging and weaving and stalling and being too clever by half has done more damage to unc’s athletic program than Mary and Jay and Dan and Rashad combined. Not to mention the damage it has done to unc’s reputation as a respectable academic institution. It’s a damn shame.

BOBLEE

WHY do parables of philandering men-of-the-cloth always have an appeal ?? :)

WHY would TRC ever do that? The on-field on-court success is of far more importance to them than academic integrity if it has to be “either / or” as seems to be the case.

BOB

I have often wondered if my school was taking a second and third look at compliance based on what was revealed at UNC. I suspect that they have looked at these issues, at least they should. The real point is that none of the other schools have claimed virginity. I don’t know of another ” What is this place”, Hark the Sound”, “Carolina Way” school that has so tied its existence to being virtuous. That makes the fall much more difficult to understand much less accept. You are on point with the preacher BobLee. I joined a church because the preacher delivered great sermons. I always felt better after listening to him preach, a real calm and peaceful feeling. He met the fate you mentioned. Turned out my faith was better placed in my religion and not with a man. Later BobLee

BOBLEE

Excellent Point that needs to be noted more often in TGU. What has made TGU so “U” is that TruBlues staked EVERYTHING on their “virginity” for 40 years. Georgia and Florida, for example, routinely have more crap within their programs…. but they don’t pretend to be virginal AT ALL. …. It is The (Mythical) Carolina Way that is haunting UNC more than “the paper classes” et al.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/08/22/cheating-preachers-trusting-trustees/

CNJQ0IfUsAEmLQM.jpg

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Thought the NCAA didn't investigate academics. That's what I was TOLD anyway...

"It had nothing to do with his Pope John transcript; he did very well at Pope John, he was a very good student," Hasson told the New Jersey Herald. "It was just a question
about a class he took over there (in Senegal). One single class."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._moustapha_diagne_over_course_in_senegal.html

Laughingstocks...

Josh S.‏@joshellman

Man, life comes at you fast. Can't believe I just dropped the unc investigation off for its first day of kindergarten.

Justin Caldwell ‏@jtcaldwe

@joshellman And just think, it is likely that you will get to do again next year. #heldbackinkindergarten

Mistakenly refers to Burgess McSwain as a man but otherwise on point. 1 of 2...

North carolina Basketball: Blame 'The Good Ol' Boy Network' for the North carolina Academics Scandal

There are a lot of layers to the institutional failures that are being lined out in the media when it pertains to the the academic scandal at the University of North carolina.

We can be upset as people on the outside looking in about many things, but when the anger is directed, it has to be pointed toward the people who are really running the show and are currently trying to control their narrative.

Those people being the administration a.k.a “The Good Ol’ Boy Network”.

Why would we want to point the finger at the “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” when it comes to North carolina’s current state with the NCAA.

Because they are the ones that put a system in place at the institution so that they were able to put the best male and female athletes in their respective sports on the field or basketball court at the expense of the very thing that they as a college are in existence for — higher learning.

The administration has made it clear that their bottom line at the end of the day is making cold hard cash for themselves and the NCAA by, in essence, pimping their athletes for profits instead of truly educating these young men and women for life outside athletics.

The NCAA and these universities are able to divide up billions of dollars on the backs of men’s athletics, so the education side of the game takes a backseat when money is to be made.

That may sound like a slight exaggeration. But when you read the piece done on newsobserver.com by Dan Kane and Andrew Carter, and come to the realization that the mechanism for this academic fraud has been in place for at least the last 22 years, you come to the conclusion that the failure is deeply entrenched in the culture of unc athletics.’

When you learn that a federal prosecutor by the name of Kenneth Wainstein discovered that “over an 18-year period more 3,100 students enrolled in fake classes and that half were athletes”, it speaks to how the institution was well aware of the system they had in place and that it has been around for a long time.

This issue is actually bigger than Roy Williams and Sylvia Hatchell on the basketball court.

This issue is about the lengths that a university will really go to in order to get the school dollars and be able to erect new buildings, facilities, stadiums, and arenas on campus, while being able to give themselves a raise every now and then.

According to the newsobserver.com piece:

Wainstein found that the fraud began in 1993 when Deborah Crowder, then an administrative manager for the African studies department, started creating classes that had no instruction and only required a paper that she would then give a high grade. She was not a faculty member. She launched the fake classes after academic counselors for the athletes complained to her about independent studies that were too rigorous.

Then you come to find out that Deborah Crowder had a direct connection to a gentleman by the name of Burgess McSwain who was the men’s basketball academic counselor and such a huge fan of North carolina basketball that “after losses he would miss work“.

But if this was during the alleged infancy of the system put in place over 20 years ago, and things are still coming to light about new improprieties during the schools own investigation, and players are coming forward years later about the “wink and a nod” way that the school was cooking the gradebooks like Rashad McCants did in October 2014 on ESPN’s “Outside The Lines”, it makes you wonder how long “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” knew about the issue and hid behind plausible deniability.

McCants even came out and said that Roy Williams was aware of the “paper class system” back in the 2004-05 season when unc won the National Championship, and of course, right on cue, Roy Williams denied any knowledge in response to McCants statement by saying this via an ESPN.com article by Steve Delsohn:

“With respect to the comments made today, I strongly disagree with what Rashad [McCants] . In no way did I know about or do anything close to what he says and I think the players whom I have coached over the years will agree with me. I have spent 63 years on this earth trying to do things the right way and the picture he portrays is not fair to the university or me.”

This sounds like plausible deniability. Coach Williams sounds like someone who knows he has built up enough monetary equity with the NCAA and the university to where all he has to do is shrug and say not me, and no one will suspect him in the academic issues.

Who would you believe, a disgruntled ex-player who turned out to be an NBA draft bust, or one of the most decorated coach in college basketball that is connected to the network?

Which brings us to the issue at hand when it comes to how “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” has decided to handle this situation as it comes to a close.

What fans are distraught about is how it appears that despite the fact it has been revealed that the “paper class system” was put in place in order to ensure that men’s basketball and football players were able to get on the field regardless of their individual failures in the classroom, the discovery of how women’s hoop is also a part of the scandal has become magnified to overshadow the men’s program.

That sounds like “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” at it’s finest. The network is going to insulate the cash cow’s (men’s basketball and football) from the amount of scrutiny it truly deserves, and spin the narrative in a way that offers up a sacrificial lamb to the masses, in this case the sacrificial lamb is Sylvia Hatchell and her hoop program.

You don’t think a paper shredder was in place to hide what the Roy Williams kids were doing or not doing in fake classes? Or what football players may or may not been involved in not listening to lectures.

Fortunately, North carolina basketball fans, and casual observers of this episode are not stupid enough to think that she is a major part of the problem and should lose support from the unc administration.

Yet former women’s players are of the opinion that the Women’s Basketball Program is being scapegoated in this situation. One in particular, Meghan Austin, even went as far as to say this in the newsobserver.com piece.

“With the NCAA allegations, I am trying to wrap my head around how the women’s basketball team has been made the scapegoat in all of this. Our program was not the only team in the report, yet we are the ones being talked about the most.

Roy Williams and his program were in the report, and he got a contract extension. The football program was in the report, and its coaching staff was confident enough to tell recruits that they will not receive any repercussions from the NCAA investigation.

Some of us former players, we kind of sat down this summer and we were talking about how it didn’t sit right with us that it seems like there’s so many teams that were involved in the (bogus class) situation but women’s basketball was the one that people were pinpointing.

There’s no support for Coach Hatchell at all, and a lot of us have worked in college athletics before, and we know how important it is to have the support of your bosses....

http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/08/...ork-for-the-north-carolina-academics-scandal/

2 of 2...

To be fair, there is a possibility that Sylvia Hatchell was aware of the improprieties also, and how some of her players benefited from the academic fraud system.

One of the NCAA allegations directly links an academic counselor to the women’s basketball team named Jan Boxill. They allege that she made it a point to keep women’s players eligible through academic fraud.

But the facts are that Coach Hatchell barely benefited from the academic fraud system.

According to the article, when the lecture classes began, only 114 women’s students were ever enrolled in bogus African Studies lecture classes compared to 963 men’s football players and 226 men’s basketball players.

When it came to the independent studies courses that were established in 1993, the men’s basketball team was benefiting from that scam from the beginning while the women didn’t even start using them until 1998.

The men’s team had 57 independent studies enrollments compared to only 15 for the women.

As we all know, men’s athletics makes the money for most universities in the country.

So there is really no wonder as to why “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” would look to protect their men’s brands in this situation even going so far as to release some of their finding late enough to collect one more solid tournament payday before the NCAA concludes their findings and drops the hammer on them.

In the meantime, the narrative is starting to morph into how the women’s basketball program is the poster child of the North carolina Academic Scandal, while the men’s programs rest comfortably in the protection that making money for “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” provides.

The “Good Ol’ Boy Network” does not provide the same shelter for women’s programs that don’t make money hand over fist like the fellas.

Quietly, “The Good Ol’ Boy Network” probably feels that Title IX is a bad law right along with the women’s right to vote and right to choose.

Sylvia Hatchell’s contract is up in 2018 while Roy Williams is extended until 2020. If we were honest about how we feel about how Sylvia Hatchell is getting railroaded, we would want her to finish out her contract, build on her outstanding 961-340 record (689-259 at unc), and get away from the stress of dealing with “The Good Ol’ Boy” network.

Then again, Mrs. Hatchell is a two-time cancer survivor, so “The Good Ol’ Boy Network ” is child’s play for a hero like her.

Still, fans would love for her to break free of the true ringleaders of the North carolina Academic Scandal.

The ones that are protected by the shield of plausible deniability, but have enough information to bring forth new findings at a time that would guarantee that the men’s hoop team would get one more shot at getting an NCAA Title and making tournament revenue for the school and the NCAA.

The ones who throw their hands up and shrug with that “we don’t know what you are talking about look”, knowing that this thing has been going on for two decades.

The ones whose job is secure unless they have to sacrifice one of their own to save face and give off the PR appearance like they are on top of the situation.

http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/08/...ork-for-the-north-carolina-academics-scandal/

Ridpath...

Will The NCAA Punish The University of North carolina? Past Situational Ethics say Otherwise

While big-time intercollegiate athletics has its fair share of scandal virtually on a daily basis-see Steve Sarkisian and Baylor University for the topics du jour-the breadth and depth of the long-running athletic academic fraud scandal at one of our most prestigious Public Ivies, The University of North carolina, even shocks those of us that follow and research these types of things regularly.

To briefly recap, the athletic academic fraud at unc consisted of a “paper class” scheme that was developed in the African American Studies (AFAM) major by finding a soft spot in the curriculum, a few friendly faculty and staff, and an athletic department hell bent on keeping athletes eligible by any means necessary. Those means included many classes, some fully or mostly populated by unc athletes, which required little or no work.

This is the 10 cent version, but it gets better considering that unc was a school that held itself out as a paragon of virtue against intercollegiate athletic corruption by espousing the brand friendly “carolina Way”. It was discovered, only through the efforts of whistleblower and former athletic adviser, Mary Willingham, that athletic department advisers were actively involved in soliciting and even requesting that these classes be created to aid in athletic eligibility for several sports most notably Football, women’s basketball, women’s soccer and of course the storied Tar Heel men’s basketball program. Some of these papers were plagiarized and even graded by a department secretary whose love for the Tar Heel men’s basketball team was unparalled. The height of the hypocrisy was when a professor in the ethics department got involved by interceding in grades for athletes and altering an initial report to the NCAA to cast unc in the most positive light possible to prevent any further inquiry. I could go on–but you get the picture. I recommend checking into the Raleigh News & Observer website and articles written by the outstanding writer Dan Kane to get an in-depth overview.

This scandal was and is ugly. It will forever be a stain on one of our most notable public institutions and college sports overall. It has been called by many, including by my colleagues in The Drake Group, a consortium of faculty, staff, and others who are working toward academic integrity in athletics, the “worst academic fraud scandal in the history of college sports.” Despite all of this evidence, unc initially tried to paint this as an academic only scandal and not one the NCAA should get involved in because other students, although at a lower rate, received the same illicit benefits through the paper class system.

To me, it was sad to see the entire institution thrown under the bus to protect the athletic brand and it smacked of desperation. Amazingly, in the face of overwhelming evidence, the NCAA did not want any part of the unc case initially-which is no surprise as they will often try to dodge any problems at major athletic institutions because of the financial benefit to the organizations bottom line. In 2012, the NCAA declined to take action by accepting the academic only stance of the university and stated it was a “university matter.” To say that this did not raise the ire and suspicion of people like me who follow and critique this system is an understatement and the protest grew louder from the public and mainstream media.

Even though it is a truism that the NCAA attempts to leave curricular decisions to the institution, there is a two-step NCAA test that determines if there is academic fraud that would rise to an NCAA violation irrespective of institutional policy.

The test is

1) Did the fraud affect an athlete’s eligibility and

2) Did members of the staff (this means anyone-athletic or non-athletic) participate in it?

There is no caveat if other students received the same benefit specifically in a case like this one where it is highly unlikely that this extent of fraudulent classes would have been allowed to happen over an 18 year period but for the benefit to athletic eligibility. In the unc case, it is non-debatable that the fraud rises to the level of serious NCAA violations, but the NCAA still tried to stay out of it even in the face of extreme public pressure. It was not until the university itself decided to commission another investigation led by Kenneth Wainstein, a former general counsel for the FBI to ostensibly get to the bottom of what really happened, or to confirm what North carolina claimed all along-that it was exclusively an academic scandal that some athletes just happened to be involved in. In October 2015 with the release of the Wainstein Report, the details of the fraud and direct nexus to athletics became too clear and direct to ignore any longer. Simply put, the NCAA had to take action or get out of the enforcement business altogether. Better late than never, the NCAA announced it would return to unc only days after the release of the Wainstein report.

I am often asked why I have been so active in making sure that the NCAA at least investigates North carolina and not give them a pass for this egregious breach of conduct. I am not a graduate of a rival school. I have many friends that work for and attended unc along with being passionate Tar Heels. My issue is simple. It is about fairness. I have personally lived through and researched this process for over the past decade. I know the inner workings and many of the personalities involved. I was even invited to testify in front of the House sub-committee on the Constitution in 2004 (Congressional testimony More Congressional Testimony) to discuss the inequities and unfairness of NCAA investigations and sanctions.

I, and others, have found that the NCAA enforcement and infractions process is one of the most flawed and unfair quasi-judicial processes in existence. My personal experience includes experiencing two major NCAA investigations at Weber State and Marshall respectively-both including academic fraud issues. It is difficult to stomach other schools getting a pass for something that you were punished for. At Marshall we were raked over the coals by the NCAA Committee on Infractions for academic fraud violations that benefitted athlete’s and non-students similar to unc, but also on a much smaller scale since it included one class in one semester, yet Marshall suffered sanctions due to what the NCAA called academic fraud. I am a researcher and critic who desires answers to these simple questions. Why does one school get punished for similar violations, while others get sanctioned less, worse or many times not at all? The NCAA will claim that each case is unique and they don’t typically use precedent-of course until they do.

The only consistent thing about the NCAA enforcement and infractions process is its inconsistency. More incredulous is that it took tremendous public pressure just to get the NCAA to reinvestigate unc. Now the question is will unc actually be punished and sanctioned as they should, or will the NCAA try to give one of their very important institutions a free pass or a much less tougher road? This is a tough question to answer given past inconsistencies and I certainly have my doubts that unc will get sanctioned as they should in the form of lost titles, scholarships, post-season opportunities etc. Many will argue that the NCAA is fair and consistent, but the evidence says otherwise.

To empirically demonstrate that the critiques of the NCAA enforcement and infractions process are real with regard to selective enforcement and situational ethics, despite emphatic NCAA denials, I along with outstanding faculty members from the University of Oklahoma, Dr. Gerry Gurney and Dr. Eric Snyder performed an empirically based content analysis of past like NCAA infractions cases involving academic fraud. The article entitled NCAA Academic Fraud Cases and Historical Consistency: A Comparative Content Analysis appears in the August 2015 issue of the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport. You can access the article for the next two weeks at this link.

We found that NCAA is very inconsistent in its rulings and certainly does often err on the side of caution when it has a case that involves a major Big 5 institution. In other words, we found selective enforcement and an appearance of favoritism toward certain schools. In cases where punishment was actually carried out on a Big 5 member, it was typically due to the media doing the work of exposing issues for the NCAA and the organization had no other choice but to implement sanctions.

It appears we have reached that point in the North carolina case. It is still an open question however if the Committee on Infractions will actually enforce and sanction unc using prior case precedent and standards, or if they will soft-pedal any punishment to continue to protect schools that significantly contribute to their bottom line. Only time will tell. We won’t hear what the NCAA decides until Spring 2016 at the earliest. Until then we are left the speculate what punishment might happen from an organization and process that has no clear direction or precedent that it operates from.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bdavidr...lina-past-situational-ethics-say-otherwise/2/

I actually enjoy this type of story. It's important that this type of article ( and the Ridpath study ) are published. It lets the NCAA know that people are WATCHING this time. Notice that the thesis here is that the NCAA wristslaps P5 schools over "academic fraud." unx isn't CHARGED with that. The NCAA is alleging "impermissible benefits." An important distinction. Dan Kane...

Study of past academic fraud cases suggests NCAA will go easy on unc

Two prominent NCAA critics have published a study that suggests the association holds back on serious punishment for men’s basketball and football programs at top colleges when it comes to academic fraud.

David Ridpath, an Ohio University sports management professor, and Gerald Gurney, an Oklahoma University education professor, along with Eric Snyder, also an Oklahoma University education professor, reviewed academic fraud cases in Division I football and men’s basketball going back to 1990. They say the NCAA’s enforcement is inconsistent and reflects something known as “Fletcher’s Theory of Situational Ethics,” which speaks to decisions based on what works best in the current situation, instead of what the rules would stipulate.

The NCAA is an association of colleges that participate in sports. Men’s basketball is the prime money-maker for the NCAA, while football typically brings in the most money for schools in the five major conferences that include the ACC.

“In essence the enterprise is punishing itself for violation of self-regulated principles,” they write. “A negative investigation of the association, specifically in football and men’s basketball, can unquestionably result in loss of revenue streams, certain institutional probation and scholarship reductions, and loss of competition that negatively impacts television ratings and may violate media contracts.”

They cite cases in which the NCAA did not tackle independent studies scandals at Michigan and Auburn that involved athletes. They also compare the treatment of Arkansas State University, a member of a mid-major conference that was fined $43,500 in the case of one cheating athlete, with football power Florida State that received no fines in a case involving dozens of athletes.

Ridpath said in a Forbes essay that the NCAA’s track record suggests it will go easy on unc as its investigation into the university’s academic scandal involving fake classes proceeds. The NCAA’s enforcement division has delivered notice to unc of five major allegations, including impermissible benefits and a lack of institutional control that have yet to be heard by the Committee on Infractions.

Ridpath and Gurney are leaders of The Drake Group, an organization of academics and others pushing to clean up college sports; its board includes Mary Willingham, a whistleblower in the unc scandal. In the essay, Ridpath speaks well of The News & Observer’s coverage of the case, and it is cited several times in the study. Ridpath and Gurney have been quoted several times in our coverage.

The study in the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport can be found here this week and next. The NCAA declined comment.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article32472684.html

Butch's mouthpiece/lawyer/PR shill ( Sasser...unx alum ) wets himself just about anytime someone disparages his "honorable" client. Here he takes on Friedlander of Star News. Kinda ironic given that Friedlander is a tarhole apologist. He did THIS to me simply for telling the truth about unx. Lulz...

CMd9oAcUAAAGxlJ.jpg

Anyway , Sasser got wind of some negativity directed towards Davis so he did his usual , well-compensated "Capt. Save-a-Hoe" routine...

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc

Butch Davis on ESPN2 critizicing Art Briles for taking troubled transfer w/o background check. ... Laughable given Davis' history at unc

Sasser ‏@JonSasser

@starnewsacc Butch Davis was cleared by the NCAA, The Wainstein Report, Governor Martin, and everyone else who investigated unc.

Doug Lewis ‏@beachwahoo

@JonSasser @starnewsacc Dream on Jon

@beachwahoo @JonSasser He was being #sarcastic Doug

Jon Sasser ‏@JonSasser

@starnewsacc @beachwahoo Ken Wainstein found that Butch Davis had no contemporaneous knowledge of ongoing fraud.

@JonSasser @beachwahoo Oh, so he didn't hire John Blake? Okay. I stand corrected.

Jon Sasser ‏@JonSasser

@starnewsacc @beachwahoo I'm telling you what Ken Wainstein said.

@JonSasser @beachwahoo Go away #troll

Jon Sasser ‏@JonSasser

@starnewsacc @beachwahoo How about you not disparage honorable people on Twitter? If you lie about Butch Davis, I will point it out.

@JonSasser @beachwahoo And thanks for playing, Butch. Nobody's lying about Butch Davis. If you seriously believe he had nothing to do with the scandal, you're delusional

Harry Ramstein ‏@HarryRamstein

@JonSasser @starnewsacc Did he do a background check on Wiley though?

Jon Sasser ‏@JonSasser

@HarryRamstein @starnewsacc unc recommended Jennifer Wiley to him. Come on, I know you know this stuff -- unlike some reporters.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=starnewsacc&src=typd

Couple of idiotic letters. Both indicative of how far up (low?) the depravity and corruption run at the wonderful "flagship..."

Brette Simmons: The role of unc admissions

Regarding the ongoing controversy about the unc academic fraud investigation (gleefully referred to by many Wolfpack fans as “the gift that keeps on giving,”): The elephant in the room is the fact that not a single one of these woefully underqualified students was admitted by any unc coach or athletic official; those decisions were made by admissions personnel and their administrative supervisors.

Yet, thus far, the only unc personnel dismissed are coaches, academic support staff and a couple of rogue academic personnel who engineered an ingenious scam by which scores of athletes maintained eligibility for decades.

In the rush to indict coaches who attended staff meetings for which the primary agenda item was how to maintain the eligibility of key players, many academicians and administrators fail to point out the chief reason that this type of meeting was necessary in the first place: These “student-athletes” simply couldn’t keep up.

Yes, most coaches are well-informed on the academic progress of their players, and if they knew of specific irregularities and chose to look the other way, they should be held accountable. But why only coaches? Why not the decision-makers at every level of the academic-athletic enterprise? What coach, whose career and the financial support of his family depend upon the behavior and actions of 18- to 23-year-old kids, is going to recommend that the decision to admit an ill-prepared student who can score touchdowns or average a double-double for a season be rescinded?

Instead, these coaches and the academic support staff are tasked with keeping afloat, with few exceptions, a ship sinking in red ink despite the monstrous revenues from football and men’s basketball, which support the 20-something other sports and ensure Title IX compliance.

Oh, yeah, and they better not just win, but win big or be fired!

It’s past time for some integrity and honesty from the academic community concerning the admissions policies of unc and other universities mired in athletic-academic scandal.

BRETTE SIMMONS

FORMER N.C. STATE ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH AND RECRUITING COORDINATOR (1987-1999)

RALEIGH

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article32364027.html

For those of ya keepin' score at home , this next one is Professor Schauer's 5th contribution to the "Move Forward" movement. Oh yeah. She has PRIME seating at the Nose Dome. Lulz...

Letter: Editorial mistaken about Hatchell

TO THE EDITOR:

As a women’s basketball season ticketholder, a faculty member and a female, I felt compelled to respond to the misleading Daily Tar Heel editorial from Thursday on the women’s basketball situation.

When I read the Wainstein report, it was clear to me that women’s basketball was in the worst position of all of the sports. The documented actions of Jan Boxill were especially damning because she was also a faculty member.

It was not surprising that the NCAA notice of allegations called out women’s basketball and Boxill’s impermissible academic assistance separately in allegation two.

Many recent articles and letters have touted claims that women’s basketball is being offered up as the sacrificial lamb in our scandal to save the revenue sports.

The sole evidence appears to be that Coach Sylvia Hatchell, under contract through 2018, did not have her contract extended this past year like Coach Roy Williams.

I suspect our athletic department’s top priority for women’s basketball has been defending the program against allegation two in order to minimize potential sanctions that could impact current student-athletes.

By all reports, Coach Hatchell is upbeat about this year’s team and the future of her program, with several recent commitments of future players.

If anyone can fight through the adversity of an extremely short bench created by player departures, it is Hall of Fame Coach Hatchell. I’m looking forward to watching a young, inexperienced team grow up this season.

As to the bigger issue of which heads should roll in our scandal, it is important to keep in mind that no one in the athletics department has the authority to create classes or the oversight responsibility to ensure that our academic offerings are conducted with integrity. It is not unreasonable for any coach to have trusted that all our courses offered legitimate instruction overseen by faculty.

Prof. Cindy Schauer Chemistry

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/08/letter-editorial-mistaken-about-hatchell

More...

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/03/letter-smith-and-willingham-must-alter-approach

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/11/letter-scandal-the-result-ofperfect-storm

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/11/letter-reform-groups-rhetoric-is-divisive

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/04/letter-weve-earned-the-right-to-move-forward

Professor Schauer...

Marc O. Chambers
Recruit
429 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:34 AM

Re: New Findings Likely to Delay Process /Forbes pounds unc P38

This letter from the Chem. Prof. and the letter a day or two ago from another unc insider blaming the admissions department (and trying to exculpate the athletics department and coaches) shows the depth of the brainwashing over there. You have academicians and administrators throwing other academicians and administrators under the bus in order to save athletics, especially mens basketball.

This is exactly the mindset that got them into this situation in the first place. The persistence of this mindset leaves them ethically blind as to how to do the right thing or find their way back out of the forest.

This situation relies on a substantial number of profs and staff remaining silent, either because they are intimidated or because they tacitly condone the current environment over there.

st8dukegrad87
Bench Warmer
2448 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:42 AM

It would be interesting to see what kind of grants this professor has been awarded over the last few years.

ElevatorCropDuster
Scout Subscriber
Noob
85 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 10:21 AM

Grants? Check out her "Research Highlights". If she's gotten any grants, she certainly doesn't have any research to show for it.

http://www.chem.unc.edu/people/faculty/schauer/index.html?display=highlights

Click on "Research Highlights Archive." Nuthin' there. Cindy does all her "research" at the Nose Dome. Lulz.

schauer_cynthia.jpg

A "set-up" article? Kane just gives a brief mention to unx while referencing how other schools "cluster" jocks to keep 'em academically eligible. Keep an eye on this one....

Alabama relents, releases majors for football players

Like NC State, Alabama initially denied release of majors for football players

Both made them public after being asked what law kept them private

Business is the top major at Alabama with 19 athletes

Two weeks ago, we reported how NC State had erroneously told a Bleacher Report correspondent that the majors football players are pursuing weren’t public record.

NCSU was one of two schools to tell Bleacher Report the majors weren’t public information. The other was one of the biggest dogs in college football, the University of Alabama, winner of three championships in the last five years.

According to the report, Alabama football spokesman Josh Maxson said “privacy laws” prevented the release of information. Nothing in federal law prevents the release of majors, so that would presumably mean a state law did. But there, in the same report, were the majors for Auburn University’s football team.

We asked about that discrepancy. Maxson said in an interview that Alabama has not reported the majors in its media guides for several years out of a concern for student privacy.

“We’ve been real careful about how much personal information we give out, just to protect our student athletes,” Maxson said.

He didn’t address whether the information was public or not, but he agreed to provide it. (He also apologized in an email to the Bleacher Report columnist, Justin Ferguson, for not providing it at his request.) Thursday, he sent a list of majors for the team. It shows the top four are Business, Exercise and Sport Science, Communications Studies and Criminal Justice, with 19, 17, 10 and 9 athletes respectively.

Why is this important? As we reported earlier, when athletes pursue the same major, something known as clustering, it raises questions whether they are taking the classes they need for an education, or being steered to easy (or in the case of unc-Chapel Hill, fake) classes that help keep them eligible.

Alabama’s in-state rival Auburn is dealing with that question after The Wall Street Journal reported that a “small, unpopular” major was on the chopping block until the athletic department stepped in. It turned out the major was popular with athletes, including football players.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article32588019.html

From the addendum to the Wainstein Report. I'm sure there's way more where this came from but check page 31. There are some "Mentor Appointment Feedback Forms" here. This particular one has comments from the same chick who hired B-Rad at the shoe store , Amy Kleissler. The name of the moron she was helping is , of course , redacted. Clearly , he had no interest. She mentions having to "force" him to even attempt the assignment. Thing is , she's friends with Bethel. They worked together. She got 'im his current gig. They both know damn well that unx has been cheating their azzes off yet he still plays sock puppet for that corrupt place. Unreal...

http://www.newsobserver.com/incomin...the 200-page addendum to the Wainstein report

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
i knew I shouldn't have started reading this stuff. lol. Page 111. Deb Crowder keeping Wayne Walden ( btw , Walden is/was all Roy's. His name appears? It's men's basketball. ) up to date on another moron. The best part is her talking about how she "added several non-athletics persons to classeS this week." What a cesspool. #carolinaway

http://www.newsobserver.com/incomin...the 200-page addendum to the Wainstein report

Derek Rowles‏@DerekRowles

#BreakingNews - Grand jury indicts former #unc player and accused 'runner' Chris Hawkins in the Athlete/Agent Investigation

#peanutbutter&pepper

Regular student were also allowed to be "runners" so there's no violations involved...

Former unc Defensive Back Indicted on Athlete-Agent Inducement Charges

Former unc defensive back Chris Hawkins was indicted on Monday on felony athlete-agent inducement charges, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

Hawkins was arrested in May and charged with violating the state’s sports agent law. An Orange County grand jury indicted Hawkins on two misdemeanors and two class i felonies, which are the least serious felony offenses in North carolina.

Hawkins allegedly provided former Tar Heel defensive end, and current St. Louis Ram, Robert Quinn with more than $13,000 and helped Quinn sell game-used equipment, according to court documents. Hawkins is also alleged to have improperly contacted a unc football player in 2013 regarding agent representation.

According to search warrants unsealed in July and reviewed by the Associated Press, Hawkins acted as an “agent/runner” by befriending other athletes, providing illegal improper benefits and brokering meetings with agents and advisers despite not being registered as required by law.

The search warrants from the past year sought records for financial and online accounts for the former unc and Marshall player in a 5-year-old Secretary of State’s investigation, which began amid a 2010 NCAA probe into unc’s football program. Hawkins was barred from school athletes and facilities that year and is one of five charged.

Fourteen Tar Heels missed at least one game in 2010 and seven were forced to sit all season in a case that led to NCAA sanctions in March 2012.

Both probes focused largely on ex-players Quinn, Marvin Austin and Greg Little. But roughly 75 pages of unsealed documents include other examples, including ex-player Kendric Burney telling investigators in October 2013 that he received monthly payments from Hawkins while an eligible athlete.

Burney, who missed six games in 2010 for improper benefits from Hawkins connected to trips, said Hawkins paid him and other players for agent meetings, the documents state.

Burney said Hawkins arranged and attended his meetings with financial adviser Marty Blazer and agent Peter Schaffer — two people who exchanged hundreds of calls with Hawkins, according to phone records cited in the warrants.

Assistant District Attorney Jeff Nieman told WCHL Hawkins will now have a first appearance in Superior Court at an undetermined date.

http://chapelboro.com/news/unc/form...indicted-on-athlete-agent-inducement-charges/

So unx's recent stall tactic could come back to bite 'em right where the sun don't shine. Love it...

McAdoo using unc's own findings in lawsuit against school

Former University of North carolina football player Michael McAdoo is attempting to use the school's own findings to help his case in his most recent federal lawsuit.

McAdoo is the lead plaintiff of a class-action suit filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte in November claiming he and other scholarship players were steered away from their desired majors.

The university has argued that the statute of limitations had run out on his claim and has asked the lawsuit be dismissed.

In a new federal court filing, McAdoo says the school’s recent admission that it found more potential academic violations involving athletes proves his lawsuit is still timely because new facts are being discovered.

The lawsuit is aimed at representing all scholarship football players that played at the school from 1993 to 2011. Those years were identified in the recent investigation by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein as being irregular and even fraudulent in the African and Afro-American Studies Department, where many student-athletes were being steered. The report found no-show paper classes that were designed to help athletes earn easy credit and in some cases even stay eligible.

The lawsuit specifically states that unc violated North carolina’s consumer protection law with “unfair or deceptive acts or practices affecting commerce.” The suit claims the school’s responsibility to the student-athlete is to provide them with a legitimate education as a reward for their athletic services that the university profits from, and with the fraudulent classes, that was criteria was not met.

McAdoo claims that he wanted to study criminal justice but was directed to AFAM because it was one of only three majors that aligned with the football schedule. McAdoo is seeking actual damages for the classes in question and also a review of all classes for student-athletes.

McAdoo was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA in 2010 after they found he received impermissible academic assistance and submitted a plagiarized paper for a grade in an AFAM course. In 2011, McAdoo sued the NCAA, unc and then-chancellor Holden Thorp in hopes of regaining eligibility, but that was ultimately denied.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-tar-heels-football-player-mcadoo-again-suing-unc/14866666/

So unx's recent stall tactic could come back to bite 'em right where the sun don't shine. Love it...

McAdoo using unc's own findings in lawsuit against school

Former University of North carolina football player Michael McAdoo is attempting to use the school's own findings to help his case in his most recent federal lawsuit.

McAdoo is the lead plaintiff of a class-action suit filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte in November claiming he and other scholarship players were steered away from their desired majors.

The university has argued that the statute of limitations had run out on his claim and has asked the lawsuit be dismissed.

In a new federal court filing, McAdoo says the school’s recent admission that it found more potential academic violations involving athletes proves his lawsuit is still timely because new facts are being discovered.

The lawsuit is aimed at representing all scholarship football players that played at the school from 1993 to 2011. Those years were identified in the recent investigation by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein as being irregular and even fraudulent in the African and Afro-American Studies Department, where many student-athletes were being steered. The report found no-show paper classes that were designed to help athletes earn easy credit and in some cases even stay eligible.

The lawsuit specifically states that unc violated North carolina’s consumer protection law with “unfair or deceptive acts or practices affecting commerce.” The suit claims the school’s responsibility to the student-athlete is to provide them with a legitimate education as a reward for their athletic services that the university profits from, and with the fraudulent classes, that was criteria was not met.

McAdoo claims that he wanted to study criminal justice but was directed to AFAM because it was one of only three majors that aligned with the football schedule. McAdoo is seeking actual damages for the classes in question and also a review of all classes for student-athletes.

McAdoo was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA in 2010 after they found he received impermissible academic assistance and submitted a plagiarized paper for a grade in an AFAM course. In 2011, McAdoo sued the NCAA, unc and then-chancellor Holden Thorp in hopes of regaining eligibility, but that was ultimately denied.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-tar-heels-football-player-mcadoo-again-suing-unc/14866666/
love it!!

Gas we need to get DevilDj over to the College Basketball Board. Hewould turn that place upside down. OFC

unx alum Bob Lee. Similarities...

A large prominent state university with legit academic cred…. a history as “a basketball school” and an ever-struggling football program with the ghost of ChooChoo…. oops I mean of Red Grange “The Galloping’ Ghost lingering over it for 60 years. A puffed-up delusional fan base so perpetually drunk on Chief Illiniwick’s “firewater” that it goes thru coaches like (insert something that causes diarrhea…. like a gooey burrito). Mercifully… there is no mention of “The Illinois Way”.

I could point out other glaring similarities to ….. ah hell, you’ve already seen where this going. If not, you aren’t going to.

As you read this, keep count of the glaring similarities to TGU. When you reach 10, realize there are another 4-5 you missed.

COMMENTS section (including one from Butch's mouthpiece Jon Sasser...)

JON SASSER

As Chancelor Thorp explained in one of those infamous press conferences, Butch Davis was not fired for cause. The facts are undisputed that unc knew all there was to know about the extent of Coach Davis’s involvement (or lack thereof) back in the Fall of 2010. No new facts came out about Coach Davis in 2011. Instead, the McAdoo case revealed a plagiarized paper, and the name Prof Nyang’oro hit the media for the first time. Two weeks later, after the N&O began to question Chancellor Thorp’s own judgment, he abruptly changed course. “Let’s fire the new guy who ain’t from around here.” Then unc limited its investigation of the AFAM Department precisely to the years that Coach Davis was there. Chancellor Thorp will concede that he fired Coach Davis to make the press go away. There is also a reasonable inference that some of those advising Chancellor Thorp (not you) likely realized that the entire AFAM scam was in jeopardy of getting blown out of the water. Had it not been for that pesky Dan Kane, they might have gotten away with it.

BOBLEE

Thanks Jon.

Jon and I differ on a few of Butch’s “Sgt Schultz” impressions (John Blake WHO?) but not on “how it all went down”.

NICEUN

Butch was not fired with cause. He was fired because HT didn’t think we could get through the GU with Butch as head coach. Butch was fired in 2011 and I think just maybe we may get through the GU sometime in 2016 but maybe with some sanctions for some sports probably into 2017 or 2018.

BOBLEE

I thought that was the case. Again, hopefully Jon Sasser will let us know. Perhaps the reasoning was to avert the inevitable protracted legal wrangling over $$$, or that Butch would “say nice things about unc” in exchange for $2.5 million over four years. THAT didn’t happen. 2016 is optimistic.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/08/30/illini-fans-but-were-a-sleeping-giant/

Roy's haulin' in the big-time recruits too. Pretty soon he'll start signing , you know , actual BASKETBALL players. BWAHAHAHAHA.....!!!!

Former unc QB Joins Basketball Team

unc has announced that Justin Coleman will receive a scholarship for the 2015-16 academic year and Kanler Coker, previously of the unc football team is now on the men's basketball roster.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2015/9/1/9241011/former-unc-qb-joins-basketball-team

Reactions: skysdad
Roy's haulin' in the big-time recruits too. Pretty soon he'll start signing , you know , actual BASKETBALL players. BWAHAHAHAHA.....!!!!

Former unc QB Joins Basketball Team

unc has announced that Justin Coleman will receive a scholarship for the 2015-16 academic year and Kanler Coker, previously of the unc football team is now on the men's basketball roster.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2015/9/1/9241011/former-unc-qb-joins-basketball-team

That's awesome and shows what a great recruiter HOF Coach Roy Williams is . Not every coach can recruit football players from UNC like he can. This Coker kid has the talent to have his # raised to to the rafters of the dome and become one of the top 50 NBA players ever. Good find. :D OFC

If any of the remaining unsigned elite recruiting targets play football , smart money's on Roy. Anyway , here's an interview with unx alum Orr. Repping Devon Ramsey and some other players vs unx and NCAA. Usual "broken system"/"NCAA bad" rhetoric so virtually no questions on possible sanctions for unx. He DID , however , say "Go heels" near the end of the segment. Seriously...

http://www.dailytarheel.com/blog/fair-game/2015/08/episode-1-robert-orr

How did this wording get past John Skipper...?

10. Butch Davis will be named someone's coach

Davis, who hasn't coached since he was fired by North carolina in July 2011, might be the most qualified unemployed coach in America. He went 51-20 in six seasons at Miami from 1995 to 2000 (the Hurricanes won a national title under Larry Coker the year after he left), and he was about to have unc rolling before he was fired as part of the school's investigation into academic misconduct. An NCAA investigation revealed that unc's cheating was going on long before Davis arrived in Chapel Hill, and he was never mentioned in the university's response to the NCAA inquiry.

Scroll down...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13561007/acc-shut-sec-beat-other-2015-cfb-predictions

Can't access entire article. If anyone can , by all means, copy/paste it here. Sounds like Frankentross had a bug up his arse...

Montross stands tall for unc, sticks it to AAU

Around noon Wednesday during a luncheon at Croasdaile Country Club, Eric Montross set the table for the Durham Sports Club.

The former North carolina basketball player didn’t wait for questions about the academics scandal that has his alma mater in foul trouble. He served it up.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/mon...cle_04501bf0-51df-11e5-88d4-37ff6c063bcf.html

The BOLDED is all ya need to know. What else would ya expect from a school that re-upped Lisa Broome? Gawd , what a cesspool. Which "reform" in the much-heralded carolina commitment includes promoting those complicit with Jan Boxill...?

Five finalists vie for unc-CH’s College of Arts and Sciences

Three of the finalists have ties to unc

Eventual hire will oversee academic heart of university

Next dean will lead in aftermath of AFAM scandal

Five finalists are in the running to be dean of unc-Chapel Hill’s College of Arts and Sciences.

The candidates, chosen by a search committee, will visit the university for a series of public forums in the next few weeks. The person hired will succeed Karen Gil, who has been dean since 2009.

The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest academic unit and the core of the university, home to 16,000 undergraduates, including all students in their first two years. It includes 40 academic departments and 2,700 graduate students.

Finalists are:

▪ Kim Barrett, dean of graduate studies at the University of California, San Diego, where she is a professor of medicine. A native of the United Kingdom, she holds chemistry degrees from University College, London and her research focuses on digestive diseases.

▪ William Easterling, dean of Penn State University’s College of Earth and Mineral Sciences since 2007. He has three degrees from unc, and is an internationally known expert on the effect of climate change on the global food supply.

▪ Kevin Guskiewicz, senior associate dean for natural sciences at unc, where he leads centers on both sport-related traumatic brain injury and the study of retired athletes. His research focuses on concussions, and he has served on special committees of the NCAA, the NFL Players Association and the National Football League. He has degrees from West Chester University, University of Pittsburgh and the University of Virginia.

▪ Laurie Maffly-Kipp, a former unc professor who has been humanities professor at Washington University in St. Louis. At unc, she taught religious studies and American studies; her research is focused on African-American religions and religion on the Pacific borderlands. A professor at unc for 24 years, she left in 2013 for Washington University, where former unc Chancellor Holden Thorp is now provost. Maffly-Kipp has degrees from Amherst College and Yale University.

▪ Keith Whitfield, vice provost for academic affairs at Duke University, where is a psychology and neuroscience professor. Before coming to Duke in 2006, he spent much of his career at Penn State University. He holds degrees from the College of Santa Fe and Texas Tech University.

Guskiewicz and Maffly-Kipp are most well known at unc, where both were on key internal faculty committees shortly after the discovery of the long-running academic and athletic scandal, in which no-show classes in African and Afro-American studies helped keep athletes eligible to compete.

Maffly-Kipp served on a three-member faculty subcommittee that issued a report on athletics and academics in 2012. The report raised professors’ concerns about athletics, but another faculty leader, Jan Boxill, had suggested revisions to the draft to avoid further “NCAA issues.” In subcommittee emails obtained by The News & Observer, Maffly-Kipp questioned why Boxill was trying to make late changes in the report.

After the N&O published a story about the tension between Boxill and the subcommittee, unc’s Faculty Executive Committee voted in 2013 to back Boxill. The committee, which at the time included Maffly-Kipp and Guskiewicz, issued a statement that the group had “complete confidence in her judgment and integrity.”

Later, an investigation by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein showed that Boxill was implicated in the scandal — having steered student athletes to the classes, given them improper help and suggested grades for them. Boxill resigned in February, several months after the university took action to dismiss her.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article33835713.html

Roy still lying....

Felton Firms Up unc Commitment

Roy Williams and Jalek Felton had their long-awaited conversation.

The goal for Williams and his staff? Provide more clarity on North carolina’s NCAA issues that caused Felton to waver on his unc commitment.

Evidently, the 2017 guard and nephew of former carolina star Raymond Felton, liked what he heard.
According to multiple sources, Felton recommitted to unc during their conversation.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-...t?hootPostID=59338a57ae7cdbaaf6a85d58f4f7980a

What does it say about unx when their fans gets hyped when a recruit...a LEGACY no less!... wavers then decides to honor his commitment. Lulz. How the mighty have fallen.

Tarhole Nation stalking Ridpath...

B. David Ridpath@drridpath

@CheatingBlueRam interesting that I got an email from a pathetic and ignorant unc fan accusing me of being you. I always use my name.

Mr. Bustin Clays ‏@citori525

@drridpath @CheatingBlueRam seriously B-rad just needs to ride off to the sunset.

B. David Ridpath ‏@drridpath

@citori525 @CheatingBlueRam it will happen eventually. He has zero credibility except amongst the delusional.

Mr. Bustin Clays ‏@citori525

@drridpath @CheatingBlueRam #spoton he is a legend in his own mind.

LEROY CORSO ‏@LEROY_CORSO

@drridpath @uncMeme @CheatingBlueRam doesn't B-rad think you're CBR? LOL Keep up the good work....all of you.

@LEROY_CORSO @uncMeme @CheatingBlueRam he does and just smacks of desperation. I have no need to hide behind a fake name.

unc Meme ‏@uncMeme

@LEROY_CORSO @drridpath @CheatingBlueRam B-Rad also accused another unc prof

B. David Ridpath@drridpath

@CheatingBlueRam they really do make too easy. Just so you know, everyone thinks I am you.
smile.gif

@uncMeme @LEROY_CORSO @CheatingBlueRam even a blind squirrel might find an acorn I guess.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=drridpath&src=typd

Mary Willingham
Time: Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair Panel: 2:30-3:30 pm
Venue: Downtown Stage
Category: Panel Discussion, Sports

Mary Willingham is the Founder of Paper Class Inc., and previously worked for the Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling (CSSAC) at unc Chapel Hill. Originally hired in 2003 as a Learning Specialist in the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes, she moved to CSSAC in 2010. Willingham has a B.S. in Psychology from Loyola University and an M.A. in Liberal Studies from unc-Greensboro. She earned a North carolina Teaching License, K-12 Learning Disabled, and is a trained Reading Specialist. Her research includes studies on the NCAA and university admission procedures with regards to profit athletes and their specific gaps in basic skill deficits, as well as the incidence of LD/ADHD. Together with unc history professor, Jay Smith, Willingham is the co-author of Cheated: The unc Scandal, the Education of Athletes, and the Future of Big-Time College Sports. For decades, woefully underprepared basketball and football players have taken fake courses and earned dubious degrees while faculty and administrators looked the other way. Cheated recounts the academic fraud at uncand makes an impassioned argument that the “student-athletes” in these programs are being cheated out of what was promised them in the first place: a college education.

Scroll Down...

http://bookmarksnc.org/events/festival-events

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

SEPTEMBER 7, 2015

Baron Adams: Not just a football problem

The academic scandal at unc has been in the news for quite some time now. The consensus seems to have been focused more on the men’s football team. Yes, the basketball program’s participation has been reported on as well but cast in a lesser light of deviousness than that of the football program. In fact, the latest reporting is suggesting that the basketball program may escape sanctions.

In the Aug. 15 news article “It’s a tale of two unc coaches,” there were graphs and numbers showing the total known infractions by the football and men’s basketball programs and for the women’s basketball program. For me, this data shifts the programs into entirely different lights. To my knowledge, no one has considered proportionality before.

The NCAA allows 85 scholarship players in football and 13 in men’s basketball. If we factor in this data, the rate of infractions by the unc men’s basketball program was twice as high as that of the men’s football program in suspect independent studies enrollment and one and a half times higher for enrollment in lecture classes that didn’t really meet.

Should only the football program be sanctioned? I don’t think it would be a fair result of this long-standing scandal to put it all on carolina’s football program. It absolutely was not.

BARON ADAMS

DURHAM

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article34088505.html

LincolnWolf
Scout Subscriber
6th Man
4869 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 11:55 AM

Re: Cheaters gonna cheat (continuing the cheat thread)

Bumped into someone over the weekend who works in Duke's SID and while this person wouldn't give any inside info themselves, told me the prevailing opinion over there is UNC is going to get slammed. Like they are routinely making only half joking jests about UNC not even being on the schedule next year. This is someone who is on a first name basis with Krzyzewski and the rest of the coaching staff which leads me to believe the sentiments in the office expressed to me probably spread from the top in down as I don't see the AD or coaches tolerating open speculation from their underlings on the matter.

LincolnWolf
Scout Subscriber
6th Man
4869 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 11:55 AM

Re: Cheaters gonna cheat (continuing the cheat thread)

Bumped into someone over the weekend who works in Duke's SID and while this person wouldn't give any inside info themselves, told me the prevailing opinion over there is UNC is going to get slammed. Like they are routinely making only half joking jests about UNC not even being on the schedule next year. This is someone who is on a first name basis with Krzyzewski and the rest of the coaching staff which leads me to believe the sentiments in the office expressed to me probably spread from the top in down as I don't see the AD or coaches tolerating open speculation from their underlings on the matter.

That is very interesting, DevilDJ! For the longest I thought UNC would escape pretty much unharmed in this, but it is of such magnitude that it just doesn't seem possible that the NCAA can let them off the hook without losing all respect as a viable organization. And there will be more than a few schools that have been dealt with harshly that will not take such an action (or inaction) lightly. I wait with bated breath.

OFC

Look at it this way. If you had been falsely accused of a crime and could PROVE you were innocent which would you prefer...?

1) Having the opportunity to plead your case and clear your name as expeditiously as possible or...

2) Allow the accusations to hang over your head for God-knows-how-long prolonging your stress and misery? It's a no-brainer. In fact , the ONLY reason you'd choose the latter is if you were guilty as sin , knew it! , and just wanted to stay your execution as long as possible. After all , who knows what could happen? Heck , ya wait it out long enough and maybe people will stop caring. Well , unfortunately for unx and their dumbazzed fans , that ain't happenin.' It hasn't happened in the last 4+ years and it won't in another 4...or 40! I'll be the first to predict their sanctions won't be what's deserved ( Death Penalty! ) but they WILL get hit. They lost games and a season due to football shenanigans. THAT was a wrist-slap. Now , with multiple sports and seasons involved , unx gets at least the same...more considering the pervasiveness. Personally , I don't see how football ( at least! ) DOESN'T get a complete shutdown. Previously sanctioned , that program is a "repeat offender." Cheating while already on probation is what got SMU the Death Penalty. Can't wait to see how the NCAA rationalizes NOT shuttin' that historically lousy-to-mediocre , nationally-irrelevant cesspool down...not that anyone would miss it anyway. That said , Roy got another shout-out today. Lulz...

2. Ride The Blue-Chip Wave To Success

The aforementioned Chase Jeter is just one of four five-star prospects readying to begin their collegiate careers in Durham; Brandon Ingram, Derryck Thornton and Luke Kennard being the others. Whereas Kentucky and North carolina have reputations for being freshman factories, the real impact first-years in 2015-16 will be lighting it up at Cameron Indoor. And unlike at unc, they'll be playing for a coach unsullied by academic scandal/fraud.

http://www.chatsports.com/duke-blue-devils/a/4-things-duke-needs-do-repeat-national-champions-21852

Photoshop op? Hang a banner. LMAO...

Deafening crowd drowns UNC football's offensive line

The deafening noise took its toll. UNC committed six illegal formation or procedure penalties during the night, costing the team 30 yards and cancelling numerous positive gains for a sputtering offense.

But after the starting unit executed 29 flawless practices this offseason, Thursday’s crowd proved too much for the Tar Heels’ seasoned offensive line.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/09/deafening-crowd-drowns-unc-footballs-offensive-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT