ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
COlTnhDUwAEEBmR.jpg

Reactions: dbav
unx alum Bob Lee...

I can see this happening with Goofy Ol’ Roy in 2-3 years or sooner. Unlike with Spurrier / Mack it might be harder to tell….

When Roy starts “losing it” how will we know? Kinda like with Jimmy Carter. Roy (or Jimmy) hasn’t shared the same zip code with Reality for quite awhile. All that “clustering junk” I suppose.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/09/11/steve-spurrier-mack-brown-fingernails-and-hair/

8. North Carolina

Outlook: In a vacuum, unc should be higher on this list because, well, it's unc. But the lingering NCAA issues have hampered recruiting, and it's difficult to say whether Roy Williams will coach the Tar Heels for another five years. That said, the Tar Heels might win a national championship this season, and even if Williams were to retire soon unc would almost certainly replace him with a star because, again, it's unc. And this program is arguably the nation's easiest to rebuild for any competent man. So, when weighing all those things, eighth on this list seems about right.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25301715

Deb Stroman really is one more sickening sell-out. She deserves way more credit(?) for her role in this than she receives....

Tar Heel Tailgate Talks kick off unc football season

The sound of the Marching Tar Heels practicing the unc fight song bounced in the background as Deborah Stroman delivered a lecture on the business of sport Saturday. Stroman’s lecture was the first in a series of Tar Heel Tailgate Talks, which will all focus on the intersection of academics and athletics. The lectures will take place three hours before home football games, excluding those with noon start-times, in the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History, next to the Tar Heel Town tailgating center.

“There’s no doubt that you have small towns without sports, but I think there’s a certain elevation that comes with sport,” said Stroman, who is the director of Sport Entrepreneurship and Community Engagement at the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise.

“On sports days, we are happy, fun-loving people — generally we are nicer to each other — and I don’t think there is any other industry that does that and can do that. I think everyone just forgets about the ills of the world for a moment, and that’s okay. It’s a collective community escape.”

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/09/tar-heel-tailgate-talks-kick-off-unc-football-season

Disgusting. The only thing she knows about "academics" is blaming the athletes for the academic fraud. It's THEIR fault according to her. About 16 minutes in...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10672168

She DOES know something about the "business" end though. Makes sense given her side gig...representing athletes...!

http://www.dstroman.com/

Small wonder she's complicit in the scam. Every time unx keeps an athlete eligible , she gains a prospective client. #carolinaway

Football: Another hot start for Cooper

Cooper has a lot of history with North carolina, a school he was a fan of as a kid.

Somehow, bewildering to most, Cooper was under-recruited coming out of Havelock.

After he and fellow Havelock teammate Derrell Scott were lied to by unc’s then coaching staff, both marked the Tar Heels off their list and Cooper set a solid bullseye on Columbia.

http://www.newbernsj.com/article/20150914/SPORTS/150919405/15420/SPORTS

The Daily Tar Heel‏@dailytarheel

Faculty Executive Committee approves athletics resolution:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...utive-committee-approves-athletics-resolution

Altha Cravey‏@LocoCravey

unc is on academic probation. Isn't it time to demonstrate Faculty Council has control of athletics? @uncFacGov

The DTH story is a hoot...

The Faculty Executive Committee passed a substitute resolution on Monday afternoon recommending that the Faculty Athletics Committee establish a committee of seven members to launch a campus discussion regarding athletics.

A committee tells a committee to establish a committee. Lulz #MovingForward #carolinaway

This tool is back in the news...

Caleb Pressley, former unc football player, pays ‘tribute’ to NCAA with T-shirt line

Pressley, former ‘Supervisor of Morale’ at unc, creates T-shirt line poking fun at NCAA’s likeness rules

Some T-shirts bear resemblance to current college players, one depicts NCAA President Mark Emmert standing amid pile of cash

Pressley plans to profit off Emmert shirt, donate profits from other shirts to “deserving” parties at later

Caleb Pressley found himself this week in Gatlinburg, Tenn., where he was “chilling,” he said, and spending at least a small part of his time wondering whether Mark Emmert might sue him at some point in the relatively near future.

The thought of a potential legal fight is intriguing to Pressley, a former North carolina backup quarterback turned student assistant coach and self-proclaimed Supervisor of Morale, a position he created and one that no longer exists.

“If he sues me,” Pressley said during a recent phone interview of the president of the NCAA, “I would be interested to see what would happen to his organization that he is the leader of. Yeah, I would be very interested to see what would happen.”

The whole thing is about T-shirts, at least on the surface. There’s a deeper meaning, too, though, and Pressley – whose sense of humor could be described as unique – is attempting to create awareness by having some fun with college athletes’ inability to profit off of their image.

Pressley, who graduated from unc in May, is working with a website called barstooldixie.com. He tours the southeast in a large van, going to SEC football games and amid his recent travels the idea for a line of T-shirts came to him.

Pressley was going for something, he said, that he hoped would “raise awareness” about the fact that college athletes don’t profit when their jerseys are sold, or when their image is used to promote college athletics.

“What will make someone understand the fact that jerseys are being sold for $90 and players are not seeing a cent off of it?” Pressley asked. “I said, well, maybe we’ll sell a Mark Emmert T-shirt for $25 and he won’t see a cent off it.”

Pressley calls it, simply, the “Likeness” line. There are 16 shirts. Many feature cartoon images that bear a striking resemblance – a likeness, if you will – to current college football players.

Then there’s the shirt with a cartoon drawing of Emmert. On the shirt, a smiling Emmert – his hair just so – is standing in front of large stacks of cash, his hands extended as if to say, “Show me the money.” There’s a logo that looks like the NCAA logo, except it says, in the NCAA font, “Likeness.”

“I don’t know Mark Emmert on a personal basis,” Pressley said, “but I know him from afar and one thing that’s clear is that this guy is a huge proponent of making money off people’s likeness. So I was like, what can I do to pay this guy a tribute?

“Maybe I’ll make a T-shirt of him and make money off his likeness.”

The shirts Pressley and his site are selling go for $25. It costs $12.50 to make the shirts, he said, so each shirt nets $12.50 in profit. Profits from the Emmert shirt, Pressley said, “are going to myself.”

“Because I don’t want to disrespect” Emmert, he said. “I thought that’s what he would do.”

But the profits from the other shirts – the ones with the images that bear a striking resemblance to some current college football players? Pressley said he has rough a plan of what to do with that money.

“We’re saving the money and we’re going to give them to people that we feel like are deserving,” Pressley said. “I don’t know who that would be. But I think maybe down the line we’ll figure out who’s deserving of the money (off) those T-shirts.”

One shirt features a football player, a quarterback, wearing a maroon No. 15 jersey with the words, “Dak the Ripper.” Perhaps not coincidentally, Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott wears No. 15 and often can be seen on the field in Mississippi State maroon.

Another shirt features a player in a red No. 27 jersey in mid-stride, cradling a football firmly in his left arm. “Young Chubb,” it says underneath the cartoon image, and it’s probably not a stretch to suggest the shirt references Georgia running back Nick Chubb, who happens to wear No. 27.

“Every T-shirt sold, that’s $12.50 that I will later donate to a person if I can figure out anybody in the world that might be deserving of that” money, Pressley said. “I’m sure it will come to me.

“It might take me one to two to three or four years – you never know how that stuff works.”

College athletes haven’t been allowed to profit off of their likeness, or from the sale of jerseys that display, for instance, their uniform number. The antitrust lawsuit Ed O’Bannon filed against the NCAA in 2009 challenged that issue, and others, at the heart of the NCAA’s amateurism model.

A federal judge eventually ruled schools could establish trust funds to enable athletes to share in revenue generated by use of their name, image and likeness. The long-term implications of the case still are unclear, though, and athletes aren’t being paid directly for use of their likeness.

That is where Pressley’s “Likeness” line comes in. Amid the obvious joke of it all he hopes his message his coming through, too.

“I was next-door neighbors with Ryan Switzer,” Pressley said, referring to unc’s junior receiver. “He’s one of my best friends. You see (Switzer’s) No. 3 jerseys being sold. They just resold them in a different type of style. You can buy a No. 3 jersey in a black or a blue carolina. Those are $90.

“I bought one myself. He doesn’t see a dime. He doesn’t see a dime from those.”

Pressley said he ran his shirt idea past a lawyer and someone familiar with NCAA compliance rules. He said he was advised that the shirts depicting athletes wouldn’t violate any laws or NCAA rules – though he’s nonetheless expecting cease-and-desist letters.

“They have to send one to keep all their players eligible because that’s how the NCAA, that’s how it works,” Pressley said, referring to any individual schools that might send him a letter. “They’ve got to send a cease and desist to keep everyone eligible.”

During his legal research, Pressley said he did learn that Emmert could sue him over the shirt with the illustrated Emmert standing in front of the piles of cash. It’s a risk Pressley is willing to take.

The “Likeness” line launched late last week. Pressley said he sold more than 100 shirts over the weekend.

The SEC football tour with his website took him to Knoxville, Tenn., last weekend, and after a quick visit to Gatlinburg, another road trip, this one to Baton Rouge, La., awaited. Each stop brings another chance to sell his product and spread his message.

He wonders if he’ll hear from Emmert or one of his lawyers.

“I’m just taking my chances that he won’t sue me for his likeness,” Pressley said. “He obviously likes the whole make money off of likeness thing, so I don’t think he would care.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article35392878.html

Great idea , Caleb. Emmert's been one of unx's biggest fans throughout this mess. Might not wanna alienate the guy. On second thought , go ahead. Arrogant d-bag. #carolinaway

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Opinion: UNC should create a web page to keep track of task forces

Whenever UNC faces an issue that garners negative attention, the go-to response seems to be the formation of a working group, committee or task force to look at the issue. Sometimes, these groups are equipped with real policy-making weight and do truly admirable work. At other times, they provide recommendations that go unimplemented.

To heighten the effectiveness of public accountability, the University should create a web page providing access to details of the goals, powers, memberships and meeting times of the University’s officially-sanctioned working groups, task forces and committees. This page could be hosted on an expanded Carolina Commitment website.

Unfortunately, a reliance on working groups and task forces, common bureaucratic mechanisms, has the potential to slow action on issues of vital importance.

UNC already hosts a webpage that lists open meetings, but this list doesn’t have any details of the groups beside their meeting calendars.

Another page on the website of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost lists several groups but is inconsistent in the level of detail provided about each group’s mission and does not list all of the task forces working across the University bureaucracy.

A single web page to help the public hold task forces accountable could improve engagement and the ability of the University’s various reform groups to improve UNC when it matters.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...reate-a-web-page-to-keep-track-of-task-forces

Lol. Since when does unx wanna be held accountable? It's much easier to create committees , task forces and "carolina commitments" than it is to actually , you know , CHANGE and stop cheating. unx has zero interest in cleaning up. Anything unx CLAIMS to be doing now to right past wrongs is a glorified "holding pattern" until the "flagship" can get back to business as usual. "To SEEM rather THAN to be." #carolinaway. Check the "COMMENTS" section. I'm famous. A hole fan's created an alter-ego for me. I'm honored. Lulz...

DrivelDJ

That was gold, Ronnie, pure gold. Glad you decided to delete your alias Leroy Corso comment and come outta the closet! Time to go retweet some MS Paint'd amateur UNC memes!

N&O reporter wins award for courage in journalism

Dan Kane has reported on unc scandal for more than four years

He faced opposition from university administration, fans

Frank McCulloch Award honors persistence, work under pressure

The award was announced Wednesday by the Reynolds School of Journalism at the University of Nevada, Reno.

During the past four years, Kane wrote a series of investigative stories that led to the exposure of bogus classes for athletes at unc-Chapel Hill. In naming Kane one of the most influential people in higher education in 2014, The Chronicle of Higher Education called him “the quiet force” behind the information revealed in the October report by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein, who documented 18 years of bogus classes that helped keep athletes eligible to play for the university.

McCulloch was a war correspondent and editor whom President Lyndon Johnson tried to have thrown out of Vietnam because of his reporting there.

Previous McCulloch winners have included David Rohde, then a New York Times reporter who escaped after being held hostage by the Taliban in Afghanistan for seven months; Adela Navarro Bello, a Tijuana editor whose magazine has reported aggressively on drug cartels even as several staff members were murdered; and Barbara Davidson, a Los Angeles Times photographer who documented innocent victims trapped in the crossfire of Los Angeles’ deadly gang violence.

“To Frank McCulloch, it was all about tenacity and persistence in getting the story,” said Al Stavitsky, the Reynolds School dean. “Resistance can take the form of physical violence, or it could be bureaucratic resistance and obstacles. By that measure, Dan’s work fits the bill.”

Kane’s work has not been well-received by all in the world of higher education, especially in Chapel Hill. He received violent threats from fans, had his family and personal information posted on the Internet, and was the subject of a website titled dirtydankane.com.

John Robinson is a lecturer at the unc-Chapel Hill School of Media and Journalism and former editor of The News & Record in Greensboro.

“There has been a tenacious determination to get to the bottom of a story that had no bottom,” Robinson said. “Dan and The N&O did what so many newspapers used to do and so few do now, stay on the story until they get their questions answered. It took a lot of backbone and determination, and I’m glad they did.”

Kane, 54, has been a staff writer at The N&O since 1997. He joined the newspaper’s investigative team in 2009. His 2010 series that led to more open state personnel records won the Associated Press Managing Editors’ top award for First Amendment reporting and the Joseph L. Brechner Freedom of Information Award from the University of Florida.

The ‘paper’ trail

Kane began reporting on unc in 2011 with a story about a plagiarized paper in African and Afro-American Studies by former football player Michael McAdoo. He later reported on how football star Marvin Austin had been placed in a high-level African studies class during his first summer on campus – before his freshman season. He received a B-plus.

With the help of whistleblower Mary Willingham, Kane reported on the department’s “paper classes,” which never met, required only a paper and resulted in high grades. He has broken many other stories, including the reliance on the fake classes of the 2005 NCAA champion men’s basketball team.

A series of internal investigations produced little until the university hired Kenneth Wainstein, a former high-ranking U.S. Justice Department and FBI official.

Wainstein’s investigation, released last October, found that more than 3,100 students – about half of them athletes – took bogus classes in African and Afro-American Studies over 18 years from 1993 to 2011. The NCAA has now accused unc of five serious infractions, including a lack of institutional control of its athletic programs.

N&O Executive Editor John Drescher called Kane’s reporting on the unc story “brave and exceptionally good.”

“After numerous university investigations, Dan continued digging, even as many unc fans and alumni said there was nothing else to see,” Drescher said. “Dan’s persistent reporting, in the face of harsh and unwarranted criticism, helped uncover much of what is known about what went wrong at carolina.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article35439147.html

Well-deserved. Take notice other NC media. THIS^^^ is how it's done.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
B-Rad servin' up sour grapes with a side order of Haterade....

Coaching the Mind ‏@BethelLearning

Dan Kane's winning that award demonstrates that journalists prefer congratulating each other over scrutinizing each other's work.

Of course, the most effusive praise for Dan Kane's work comes from people who think like this:

CPC8c9KWEAAQhAg.jpg

B-Rad's obviously never examined those who shower him with "effusive" praise...

CPDSAZgUAAANSMs.jpg

CPC_eD-WgAETrfn.jpg

unx alum Bob Lee...

“That Damn Dan” Wins National Journalism Award

Congrats to “That Damn” Dan Kane for this national recognition. ….. “He was subject to violent threats from unc fans and a variety of multimedia smear campaigns.” I wonder if the self-righteous nabobs at the unc’s J-School have ever discussed this aspect of TGU ??? I’m going out on a limb and betting “not”.

We have met Dan on several occasions and consider him a friend and, yes, he is a frequent reader of this website.

Dan is, of course, NOT the only individual who…. was / is subject to violent threats from unc fans and a variety of multimedia smear campaigns. “Mary” still deals with both threats and an on-going smear campaign on almost a daily basis as well as “Jay The Faculty Dissident”. Several members of The unc BOT too …. and, of course Holden Thorp and His Family were formally “threatened” requiring armed security at their home for several months. …. Hark Those Sounds!

In several documented cases, the violent threats were NOT from deranged “Walmart fans” but rather from “deranged unc alumni” including in one case “a lawyer”.

Were “violent threats” part of the Jimmy V Scandal 25+ years ago? I honestly don’t know. If anyone does recall such, please fill us in.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/09/16/that-damn-dan-wins-national-journalism-award/

B-Rad servin' up sour grapes with a side order of Haterade....

Dan Kane's winning that award demonstrates that journalists prefer congratulating each other over scrutinizing each other's work.

Of course, the most effusive praise for Dan Kane's work comes from people who think like this:

CPC8c9KWEAAQhAg.jpg

B-Rad's obviously never examined those who shower him with "effusive" praise...

CPDSAZgUAAANSMs.jpg

CPC_eD-WgAETrfn.jpg

Absolutely pitiful. Anything, and everything, no matter how vile, to save the men's basketball program. smh

OFC

4. Roy Williams, North carolina

Record at North carolina: 332-101, 141-57 ACC

NCAA Tournament: 65-23, seven Final Fours, two championships

Number to note: North carolina is 23-1 against Boston College, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Florida State the last three seasons and 13-17 against the rest of the ACC.

Why he’s ranked here: Legacy. Williams’ two titles at two schools and Hall of Fame status can’t be denied, but the last three years (75-33) have been trying. With a veteran team, the Heels are built for a Final Four run in 2015-16. It would be their first since 2008 and perhaps their last for a while.

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-acc-basketball-coaches-2015-16

lol

unx alum Bob Lee. Despite his headline , no one's replaced his alma mater. I've included some comments as well...

Rutgers Replaces unc as #1 …..

…. IT’s OFFICIAL!:

…. Rutgers replaces uncCH as NCAA’s “Crazy uncle Eddie”.

… It has been a long reign (over five years depending upon when one actually starts counting) but the vaunted Flagship On Franklin Street must, alas, step aside. Like that old New Years cartoon of the “Old Year” and “Baby New Year”…. it is transition time at the top of the NCAA Hall of Shame – uncCH is out and Piscataway’s Pride & Joy (?) …..

Rutgers now sits atop the pile of burning tires in the Landfill of Collegiate Athletic Stumblebummery.

I’ll let Yahoo’s Pat Forde chronicle Rutgers’ rise to the bottom as The Premier Institutional Trainwreck in NCAA’s Pantheon of Raging Hypocrisy.

Sports historians may compare unc’s 5+ year reign atop the burning tires to UCLA Basketball of the late 60s-early 70s. Or maybe unc’s own Anson Dorrance and his “flying ponytails” who dominated Coed Soccer thru the 20th century.

Using unc well-publicized travails as it’s model…. The Pride of New Jersey combined (1) a growing litany of excessive Thug-aletery with (2) complete administrative incompetence…. topped off OF COURSE by (3) a quite indignant Fat Cat fan base harrumphing that…. “Our emperor is too wearing clothes you are just too blindly jealous to see them…. Go Scarlet Knights!

Rutgers’ version of The Butcher is a pathetic fumbling klutz named Kyle Flood.

Rutgers’ version of “Clueless Dickie” is their lying lesbian AD named Julie Hermann. A REAL “nasty piece o’ work”.

ACC Commiss John Swofford noted this transition with longtime buddy (and fellow unc alum) Big Ten Commiss Jim Delany by sending Jim a Groupon from Ken Wainstein’s law firm and this advice.

“Jimmy, just tell your Rutgers’ folks to curl up in a fetal position, deny everything…. and claim FRIPPA, PIPPA and all that other gobbleygook crap….” Your Pal, The Swoff.
We often note that insulting jokes about collegiate sports rivals are all modifications of five basic themes created in 1896 by some demented schlub at Slippery Rock aimed at his hated rival at Carnegie-Mellon. So, it appears, is now the case when:

A once proud academic institution finds itself buck nekkid “above the fold” holding its teeny-weeny talleywacker and, like George Constanza, screaming “SHRINKAGE” …..
unc loyalists fear not. Rutgers reign as #1 is tenuous. You can regain your accustomed position. Just get “creative”. Chancellor Chihuahua is already choosing an appropriate lapel ribbon to inspire her staff to new levels of institutional incompetence.

Oh…. in case anyone forgot. Rutgers whupped unc last December in the woeful “We’reNotShreveport Bowl” in beautiful downtown Beirut / Detroit.

COMMENTS:

PUDDENTAIN

The Bakery Banner may be the only thing left hanging when this is all over

BOBLEE

Other than a few effigies of DD Kane, Mary, Me and John S. Reed.

BOB

I believe they have missed the root cause of all the problems at Rutgers. Women’s basketball. Later BobLee.

BOBLEE

Well of course. THAT goes without saying. If Dr Naismith had intended gals to play basketball he woulda set the basket at 8′ and made the ball the size of a grapefruit. He didn’t do either.

ERV

Well, at least Rutgers had a large group of students and faculty who were willing to oppose the direction the university was heading. Where are the students and faculty at unc-CH who condemn or even criticize the administration? Their silence is deafening.

BOBLEE

There are and have been “more than a few” who have “opposed the direction” and are on-record as doing so. Our BFF John Shelton Reed being near the top of that list.

Now, if you mean “the deranged nitwits on InsCarol” then it will be 48 hours After Hell Freezes Over before that buncha human debris admit anything. And probably your sister’s no-account 3rd husband “a unc WalMarter” won’t admit anything either. Your very broad brush comment is akin to saying “unc has received NO PENALTIES OR SANCTIONS FOR ANYTHING since Marvin tweeted” which is grossly inaccurate. I assume nothing short of DEATH PENALTY is your definition of “Justice Served”. You are not alone in that POV.

BOBLEE

While I appreciate the resistance of hard-core ABCers to admit unc has been (temporarily perhaps) displaced as “Crazy uncle Eddie”, last week’s suspension of Rutgers’ FB TEAM CAPTAIN for….
“…. throwing the girl down on the sidewalk and bouncing her head off the concrete” is simply too Yee-HA to ignore. The TEAM CAPTAIN is the clincher.
It’s beat anything PJ or Greg Little have been linked to …. so far.

ERV

Certainly some folks at the “State University of New Jersey” have done some bad things, but comparing their misbehavior to unc CHeat’s 20-year scandal is like comparing a street-corner brawl to World War II. There is no comparison. Otherwise, a good article.

BOBLEE

You are assuming we know everything Rutgers has been up to. As in “the parking tickets” are IT…. “move along, nothing to see here.” Rutgers has more Hard-Core FELONIES already than unc.

ERV

I don’t have a count on felonies at either school, but I know that unc-CH has a ton of them over the last several years. There used to be… maybe still is, a website listing them. I wish I could remember the URL.

BOBLEE

Until The TGU Tsunami hit, the “going back 50 years” list of unc vs NCSU “bad boy” incidents were never more than 3-4 different in total number. “Selective definition of what we want to count” of course is always an issue with both factions. Kennel, for instance, doesn’t count any NCSU “bad boy” incident that doesn’t draw blood or result in loss of a limb. unc has their “Kennels” too of course.
I’m pretty sure “plagarism” is NOT a felony nor are “parking tickets”. Now Chris Hawkins and several of young PJ’s escapades likely do qualify.

PUDDENTAIN

Rutgers was the source, and then the final dumping ground for Richard L McCormick.
He came to unc, as chief academic officer, just in time to help shepherd in the 20+ year rein of unc academic and athletic cheating.

He then became president at the University of Washington, where his football teams proceeded to re-define (and not for the better) the term “thug”. Guess what class was front and center in keeping the Husky Hooligans academically eligible, with players taking the same class repeatedly for credit?

He was the only UW president ever asked to leave. It seems he couldn’t keep it in his pants with a subordinate.

He then returned to Rutgers and proceeded to grossly inflate the size and scope of the football program.
He left Rutgers a wee innocent, but his time at unc tutored him in how to turn a university into a sports factory. If Rutgers is #1 now, it’s only because they were infested with the unc cooties.

BOBLEE

So unc gets to take credit for Rutgers’ ascension to “1 ?? I’m good with that. Was notorious unc / NCSU Todd Turner part of those UDub escapades? TT was AD at UDub until one day he wasn’t any more. Based on its 20+ year infestation, it is likely that TGU gang members are all across the NCAA PowerFive landscape. THEY’RE EVERYWHERE !!!

PUDDENTAIN

Yes, unc can hang a banner for Rutgers’ cheating.
And, since I’m sure you’re wondering, it was Swahili classes that kept some of the UW choler-Athletes eligible.

BOBLEE

Beside or instead of “the Helms Thingy” ??

uncTARHEEL1984

The West Rawlee boys will tar(hole) and feather you for suggesting unc no longer reigns over SMU, the IOC, and the Grant administration, as the GOAT scandal. You’ll be calling Damn Dan Kane for advice on which style of Kevlar vest chaffs less.

BOBLEE

I don’t need to ask DDK. My pal 58WolfKennel “invented Kevlar” and has supplied me a full Kevlar wardrobe. The Seersucker kevlar suit is BOFFO!

Chancellor Chihuahua has already appointed “Coed Nitwit” Blake Dodge to head a blue-ribbon ad hoc committee to “do whatever it takes” to gets unc back on Top (or bottom depending on how one views these things). Blake is trying to locate John Blake (Who?) to serve with her.

DOUG

This just ain’t fair. I know preseason rankings don’t mean much but unc has a much better track record and deserves its place at the top due to the established body of work for the past 18+ years. This Rutgers thing is like the Clampett’s moving next door to the Drysdale’s. :)

BOBLEE

unc is suffering from Franklin Street Fatigue…. Rutgers is the “new bright shiny bunch of self-righteous stumblebums”. We live in a “how bad have YOU screwed up LATELY” society. unc CAN rebound….

http://bobleesays.com/2015/09/18/rutgers-replaces-unc-as-1/#comment-2455

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
13049 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:26 AM

Re: Cheaters gonna cheat (continuing the cheat thread)

St8 is correct in that unc is having trouble keeping the holes in the dam plugged. So many issues and lies have been told that they are having a heck of a time keeping up with what has been said. The law suits are complicating the narrative at both unc and ncaa.

Some of what I am hearing (although it is quiet), is that there is great concern that when the hammer falls, it will be a massive blow and will shock the administration puppets. The big rams will not flinch as their money train will continue to run. The timing of the big 100 million gift was timed to offset the loss of many smaller givers.

Keeping up the PR campaign of informing the public about the cheating abuses at unc is the best thing that can be done. I am not a proud man, I will continue to wash their dirty linen in public for all to see.

Opinion: unc should be thankful for Dan Kane’s courage

Dan Kane, the reporter who broke the unc academic scandal for the (Raleigh) News & Observer, won the Frank MuCulloch Award for Courage in Journalism last week.

This editorial board would like to congratulate Kane on his recent accomplishment and to his dedication to upholding journalistic integrity despite reactionary outrage directed toward him including threats.

He did the University a service by holding us accountable to our mission statement to educate everyone enrolled here.

Kane first wrote about the unc scandal in 2011, and continues to follow the story to this day. Beside doing the difficult work of examining the scandal’s paper trail in detail, he also allowed for the humanity of those involved to come through in his storytelling. He interviewed former students and athletes that took part in the classes and brought unique perspectives to the conversations.

Despite having death threats made against him and having his family’s personal information published online, he did not relent from chasing the story. He has also been vilified on social media by a multitude of people who question his journalistic integrity. The attacks on him are unmerited.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/09/opinion-unc-should-be-thankful-for-dan-kanes-courage

#MovingForward #transparency #carolinaway....

Records: Firm worked before approval

In March, unc approved a payment of more than $340,000 to a New York City law firm for one month of work done in December — but this firm was not technically allowed to work for the University yet.

On Jan. 9, unc received permission from Gov. Pat McCrory’s office to retain New York-based law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP, keeping in line with North carolina General Statute 147-17, which requires the approval of the governor, on the advice of the state attorney general, for any state agency to hire outside counsel.

But public records and invoices say Skadden racked up a bill of $342,936.23 in fees for “professional services rendered through Dec. 31.”

“We had been in discussions with both the Attorney General’s Office and the Governor’s office well before (Jan. 9),” unc spokesperson Jim Gregory said in an email. “Based on those discussions and the press of pending litigation, we signed a retention letter with Skadden on Dec. 29, 2014, so that the firm could participate in a mediation scheduled for the following day.”

However, unc’s contract with Skadden, signed by interim general counsel David Parker, is dated to Dec. 26 and back-dated to Dec. 9 — both before Dec. 29. The first email received by the state’s attorney general’s office from Parker requesting permission to retain Skadden was sent Dec. 22.

Parker, who has been at the head of the University counsel office since Leslie Strohm left in January, said in a phone call Tuesday that he does not recall the exact day Skadden started, but that it was prior to Dec. 26.

Parker said his office needed to brief Skadden for an impending mediation at the end of December for the University’s now-resolved case with 10 media organizations, including The Daily Tar Heel. Michael Scudder, a partner with Skadden, was present at the mediation hearing between the University and the media outlets.

University spokesperson Rick White said Tuesday the University had been in constant communication with the governor’s and state attorney general’s offices during December and would not have sent Skadden if they had not received permission; he admitted the official permission letter was sent after the media organization case had concluded.

The University did not publicly announce the Skadden retention until Jan. 13 in a campuswide email that said the firm would help with the University’s “numerous pressing legal challenges.”

Chancellor Carol Folt approved the internal decision to retain Skadden, White said, after a recommendation from Board of Trustee members Lowry Caudill, Dwight Stone and Jefferson Brown, as well as Felicia Washington, vice chancellor for workplace strategy, equity and engagement.

“Of the firms considered, Skadden offered the best team to match the particular litigation challenges faced by the University,” Gregory said.

According to emails obtained by The Daily Tar Heel, the University sent requests for proposals to 17 law firms, including Skadden. Only five of the firms were based in North carolina.

A March 6 memo from Parker to Matthew Fajack, vice chancellor for finance and administration, said the $342,936.23 bill was for “legal services rendered ... for the month of December” and that Parker reviewed and approved the payment.

Despite the invoices being public record, the University will not publicly release an itemized version of Skadden’s bill to precisely identify the “legal services rendered” or explain the monthly “expenses,” often climbing above $10,000, paid to the company .

“We do not receive itemized invoices from Skadden. Invoices are reviewed on Skadden’s secure website,” Gregory said.

Including the $342,936.23 cost for December, Skadden has charged unc more than $2.7 million from December to May. Gregory said the University has not yet received the bills for June, July and August.

In comparison, the 8-month-long Wainstein investigation cost the University $3.1 million. The single invoice received for the Wainstein report was itemized and made public record by the University.

Both Wainstein’s and Skadden’s teams are paid by the University’s main donation arm, the Chapel Hill Foundation. In May, the foundation published its first 990 form — a yearly financial document required for all 501©3 nonprofits — since 2008, after not releasing any budget information for nearly a decade.

A representative from Skadden did not respond with a comment before press time.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/09/records-firm-worked-before-approval

B-Rad. Still hating. Lulz. Won't name names either. Azzwipe...

Journalists are supposed to hold those in power accountable. Dan Kane contributed to the scapegoating of low-level employees. #NotAHero

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BethelLearning I gotta ask: who are those in power that you feel should be held accountable for the scapegoating?

@yibyabby Any of those high-ranking people who favored firing two counselors who weren't hired until years after the paper classes started.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@BethelLearning You might be intentionally avoiding naming names, but such a group would have to include Ross, Folt and/or Dean.

@yibyabby I'm not intentionally avoiding names. I suspect BOG was driving those decisions, but I'm not connected to the politics that high.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=bethel learning&src=typd

Oh yeah. It's him. Gawd , what a scumbag. Accuses Kane of scapegoating low-level employees yet does the same thing with regards to Jay and Mary. According to his recent Twitter exchange , he has a suspicion that the NC BOG was behind the firings of 2 employees yet won't mention specific names because he's "not connected to the politics that high." My azz. Keep in mind this is the same douche who speaks as if an authority on events that happened at unx long before he ever got there. IOW , he's very SELECTIVE about what he chooses to be an expert on. Clown shoes...

CPtOUWPWUAAB59O.jpg

Inside College Sports: NCAA redefines academic misconduct after unc case

There was some head-scratching across college sports in June when the NCAA hit North carolina with a lack of institutional control allegation for its academic fraud scandal. No one thought unc shouldn't be charged. The confusion centered on the interpretation over how the NCAA finally made allegations in the never-ending scandal of fake classes. The NCAA charged North carolina with “impermissible benefits,” a term more commonly used for gaining something of monetary value, not free academic grades.

But the way the enforcement system is set up, the impermissible benefits charge may have been the best way for the NCAA to sink any teeth into the pending unc case. That's going to soon change. After four years of talk, there's finally an NCAA proposal that would be the first legislative change in academic integrity since 1983.

The legislation would move the NCAA away from "academic extra benefits" -- members thought the language was ripe for overreach by the enforcement staff -- to "impermissible academic assistance." The shift would both broaden and narrow the scope of whether the NCAA can allege academic misconduct.

A player's eligibility wouldn't have to be affected for the NCAA to charge impermissible academic assistance involving an institutional staff member. Kathy Sulentic, chair of the NCAA enforcement staff's academic integrity group, explained to Division I faculty athletic representatives this week that there would be a “very high bar” to bring a violation under impermissible academic assistance. On the one hand, universities still want control to determine if academic fraud occurred on their campus. On the other hand, universities want the NCAA to make a charge when there's obvious collusion on campus “but the institution, for whatever reason, came out with an absurd result,” Sulentic said.

Impermissible academic assistance would have to be “substantial.” So, a faculty athletic rep asked, what does "substantial" mean? “That's sort of the million-dollar question,” Sulentic replied. “We're not looking for the close call. We're not looking for a paragraph added. We're not looking for heavy editing. We're looking for an entire paper has been done for someone. We're looking where someone got the answer key to an entire exam. We're looking at things that make a big difference for that class.”

Nebraska faculty athletic representative Jo Potuto, a former NCAA infractions committee chairwoman, said the latest academic misconduct proposal is a substantial improvement from past drafts. But she raised the following scenario: What if a coach seeks a professor's help to improve a player's grade and the professor says no? Potuto essentially described Rutgers' recent findings regarding football coach Kyle Flood, who was suspended three games by the university for trying to persuade a professor to change a player's grade to keep him eligible. Under the NCAA proposal, the attempt by the coach to commit academic misconduct wouldn't be an NCAA violation; it's only a violation if the intent produced the grade change.

Potuto disagrees with this interpretation. She said depending on how coaches' contracts are written, a university may want to fire a coach for cause but needs recognition of an NCAA violation to do so.

Privately, faculty athletic representatives across the country are stunned Rutgers has not fired Flood for cause. Rutgers' policy preventing coaches from having contact with a professor over grades is common at almost every university. It's widely known that coaches can't directly reach out to professors or admissions officers.

“As a faculty member, it truly bothers me,” Rutgers faculty athletic rep Tom Stephens said about the Flood situation. “But I'm not sure there's any way to prevent it. Education, education, education, education. But if people don't listen, what can you tell people that don't listen? You have to put that in the person's contract and it should be put in all the people's contracts. That's really what has to be done. Has it been done (in Flood's contract)? I don't know if it's in the contract.”

Potuto raised another concern with the NCAA proposal: Universities can decide whether to withhold an athlete from playing while they determine if academic fraud occurred. “Every campus is different,” Sulentic said. “Some campuses can process it in a week; some take four months.”

Potuto said universities would have an incentive to act quickly if the NCAA said eligibility withholding occurs when there's a reason to go to a university committee for academic fraud. “If not, I can predict some schools will take a much longer time to do it than other schools,” she said.

The proposed legislation will be voted on in April 2016 and could be in effect next August. Student to student academic misconduct would be an institutional matter, not an NCAA case, unless a player's eligibility is at stake. The proposal would also require every school to have an academic misconduct policy for all students. “I know that's probably incredulous to many of you here,” Sulentic told faculty athletic reps, “but unfortunately, we have seen some cases where the institution doesn't know how to act.”

Sulentic said the NCAA views impermissible academic assistance broadly, and institutional staff members could mean people such as weight room employees, administrative assistants and trainers. “Coaches will stand up and make a declaration, ‘We need to do everything we can to get this young man or young woman eligible,'” Sulentic said. “In scenarios like this, it's directed to his or her staff and the staff takes that as a direct order to act in this area and often times they act impermissibly.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-redefines-academic-misconduct-after-unc-case

Anyone wanna take a shot at this...?

Cheating Blue Ram@CheatingBlueRam

Discussion happening in Indianapolis?

To amend or not to amend, that is the question.

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles.

12 steps to unc delirium

We have learned a lot about “The carolina Way” in the last few months, and it seems to be a 12-step process in a recent example of 18 years of academic and athletic fraud:

Step 1: Bury the whistleblower

Step 2: Spend $1 million to hire PR spinmasters

Step 3: Conduct obligatory internal review lite 1

Step 4: Ease out unaccountable AD into early retirement with full benefits, move chancellor back to professor

Step 5: Stall, obfuscate, stall, see if news reporters can figure it out

Step 6: Hire friendly investigator, who sees no need to really interview anyone

Step 7: Trot out head coaches to earnestly claim they had no idea

Step 8: Bury whistleblower No. 2: player who took the courses ... well he’s crazy

Step 9: Just to keep him around, extend the head basketball coach’s contract

Step 10: Keep those pesky reporters happy with real investigation

Step 11: Interpret results yourself, take 89 days of NCAA 90-day response period, come up with a new delay to get through football and basketball season, keep the BS flowing to the new recruits

Step 12: Throw Hall of Fame women’s basketball coach under the bus, get her set for early retirement, problem solved!

Geoff Williams

Raleigh

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/opinion-shop/article36377526.html

unc Faculty Gov@uncFacGov

Jay Smith: Odd to appt cmte to look into something, but deny them ability to propose solutions, recs. Wants lang about recs. #FacCouncil

unc Faculty Gov ‏@uncFacGov

Now, Res 2015-6 from last Feb; ref to Fac Exec Comm. Asked for task force on athletics. FEC response here http://ow.ly/SGe1M #FacCouncil

Watson: SACS has indicted us on faculty governance in re athletics. Athletic issue "needs fresh eyes." #FacCouncil

Watson: FAC is not "fresh eyes"; they will ratify status quo. #FacCouncil

Dobelstein (RFA): RFA "hurt, shocked" re Wainstein; we knew there was "slack in the system." Disturbed that our FAC didn't see. #FacCouncil

Dobelstein says FAC isn't enough "fresh eyes"; opposes the substitute, favors #FacCouncil independent set of eyes. #FacCouncil

https://twitter.com/uncFacGov

Jane Wester ‏@janewester

History prof Harry Watson: “the athletic issue badly, badly needs a set of fresh eyes to investigate the problem.” #FacCouncil

Jane Wester ‏@janewester

Debate is on whether Fac Athletics members should sit on this new committee (basically) #FacCouncil

Cheating Blue Ram@CheatingBlueRam

Oliver's army is here to stay
Oliver's army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today

eventsunlimited
Scout Subscriber
Recruit
441 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 11:30 AM

Re: Cheaters gonna cheat (continuing the cheat thread)

Just an FYI, Kane is still digging into the Swofford involvement.

"We'll call it cheating..."

Faculty Council says new athletics committee will have Faculty Athletics ties

Friday’s Faculty Council meeting ended with applause for the unanimous approval of a resolution supporting academic freedom and English professor Neel Ahuja, whose “Literature of 9/11” first-year seminar drew national attention in earlier September due to a blog post on a conservative forum.

But the meeting, the first full council of the academic year, was not without discord. Debate broke out before a final vote on a resolution to start a new committee on the future of academics and college sports.

Friday’s resolution was a substitute for an original proposal by history professor Jay Smith. The main change made in the substitute version was to ensure Faculty Athletics Committee would have a voice in the new committee.

The substitute resolution, which did pass, said Faculty Athletics Committee “shall establish” the new committee, and at least of its members are required to sit on the new committee members. The original resolution did not mention the athletics committee at all.

Joy Renner, chairperson of Faculty Athletics Committee, said she wants her committee to be involved so that the new group’s work is sustainable beyond the end date for its work, which is June 2017.

History professor Harry Watson, who voted against the substitute resolution, said the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges criticized unc for problems in its faculty governance. He said that means the new review group should be unconnected to Faculty Athletics Committee.

“The athletics issue badly, badly needs a set of fresh eyes to investigate the problem,” he said.

Andy Dobelstein, who represents retired faculty, said the faculty athletics committee has been tone-deaf to problems in the past.

“The general mood of the retired faculty, particularly when the Wainstein report came out, was hurt, shock,” he said.

“Not so much over the fact that some of this, we’ll call it cheating, had gone on, because many of us had known about it while we were at the faculty. We didn’t know specific details, but enough to know there was a lot of slack in the system.”

He said he opposed the substitute resolution and would instead support “a somewhat independent mechanism that can provide an independent set of eyes.

The substitute resolution passed anyway, although Faculty Council secretary Joseph Ferrell could not determine an immediate consensus from an oral vote and instead ordered all the “aye” votes to stand up so he could count them. The measure passed 51 to 11.

Faculty also voted on another resolution related to Faculty Athletics Committee. Smith had proposed that the majority of elected athletics committee members come from the College of Arts and Sciences, because the college is where “athletes most commonly engage with faculty.”

That measure did not pass.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/09/fac-council-0925

In (dis)honor of watching unx fans wet themselves because Roy managed to ink another role player , I think this deserves inclusion in THIS thread. Speaks for itself...

"They mentioned it to me," Robinson said. "Coach ensured me that the basketball program would not be touched and it had nothing to do with them."

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/baske...-61-espn-100-commits-north-carolina-tar-heels

The men’s basketball team appears to be tied to roughly 40 exhibits...,

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article24026728.html

CQGbD7kUkAATdKu.jpg

"Hey Roy. If 1 instance of academic fraud gets a post-season ban,a show cause & 9 schollies what does 20 years get?"

CQGUi6aUkAE4t2Y.jpg

unx alum Bob Lee...

Larry Brown “nailed for cheating”…. AGAIN !

Among Life’s Undeniable Truths: “Water is wet” ….. “God made little green apples” ….. “Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown is a serial cheater”

Once the overwhelming choice of many many TruBlues to replace Bill Guthridge “after Roy said ‘I’m staying (in Kansas)…..

“Suitcase Larry” Brown, a Dean Smith disciple, has been nailed for “cheating” AGAIN. This 3rd time moves LB ahead of both twice-nailed John Calipari and Jerry Tarkanian.

To be fair to Larry, this is the first time he has “been nailed for cheating” as SMU’s Basketball Coach. The other times were as UCLA and Kansas’ Basketball Coach. Larry was NOT nailed for cheating as Davidson’s Coach; but, to be fair again, he was only at Davidson for two weeks. A dispute over new carpeting for his office led to that abrupt ending.

The NCAA announced the penalties earlier today. The requisite pictures of Larry crying and blubbering about how my only “crime” was “caring too much about these kids” should be up within a few hours.

Also likely to follow soon will be Larry leaving SMU…. and being hired to coach somewhere else.

Also for certain…. because he (LB) is forever linked to unc / Dean Smith, his being caught cheating AGAIN, is not “good news” for embattled unc fans and unc’s embattled basketball tradition.

FWIW…. Amedeo’s is offering “Free Garlic Bread” until 5 PM to celebrate today’s announcement.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/09/29/larry-brown-nailed-for-cheating-again/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT