ADVERTISEMENT

Tatum Injury

Coach K just said on First Take that Tatum had a minor setback yesterday and they don't think he will be out that long...

That is a good sign I would think. While K is notoriously tight-lipped about injuries, I don't think he goes the route of being intentionally misleading. What was he saying last year in the early stages of Amile's injury? If my memory serves, he always said there was no timetable and things of that nature (never anything like "he shouldn't be out long").

It's always a foot injury.....I honestly dont think it's a coincidence. So frustrated seeing this crap every year. Get better Tatum.

I hope I'm not overthinking this, but his dad just tweeted "God is good" while also thanking everyone for the support. Really hoping to hear some good news soon.

Reactions: youngman42
This is a huge blow....but what can you do? Injuries are part of the game. With Giles and Tatum in the lineup we're clearly the most talented team in the country, but without them we're still not terrible.
You guys can still beat any team in the country sans those two guys. You guys are loaded. Giles will play and play early imo. Obviously i have no idea on the Tatum situation

Can we just go ahead and address the obvious? When is somebody on the staff going to look into this long rash of foot injuries and perhaps decide it may not just be regular basketball injuries? We have what seems to be the most consistent year-to-year foot injuries of any top program. Is it the shoes? Perhaps too much concentrated work on that area of the body during the summer? I don't know. All I know is that this is becoming way too consistent and at the very least it should be looked into, if it hasn't already. Sigh... Sorry guys, just very annoyed this has happened yet again to a kid.
Created an account just to chime in on this. We do seem to get more than our share of lower leg injuries but I don't follow other teams closely so hard to say. I have wondered about our shoes, the floor, how much we practice and the types of drills we do. Even if it is all coincidence, agree that the staff might look into what they can do to further reduce the risk of more injuries. Didn't K say that our 2015 team basically didn't full-contact practice because the staff was worried about injuries? That season turned out ok.

Can't wait to see all the fantasy doctors over at THR claim this is K rushing a kid back and blah blah blah

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Also, yesterday we were like:
7w2JDeOAc7THO.gif

Today we are like:
gif-happy-dance_zps54o72kg7.gif

Which means, in 24 hours, and in regard to a kid's foot:
5xm5y.jpg

Last edited:
Created an account just to chime in on this. We do seem to get more than our share of lower leg injuries but I don't follow other teams closely so hard to say. I have wondered about our shoes, the floor, how much we practice and the types of drills we do. Even if it is all coincidence, agree that the staff might look into what they can do to further reduce the risk of more injuries. Didn't K say that our 2015 team basically didn't full-contact practice because the staff was worried about injuries? That season turned out ok.
2015 had 8 scholarship players. It was tough to field a practice. The NCAA only allows a certain amount of practice time per week. So I am sure that the coaches use that to the fullest. I do think the whole shoe angle is something that could be looked in to.

Great to hear that it appears to be not as serious as initially expected and if the 2 week timetable is accurate that would put Giles and Tatum possibly returning around the same time.

I'm an adidas guy, let's make this an adidas school!

LET'S GOOO!! In shock that this is only a two week injury. Normally when there's smoke, there's fire and there was DEFINITELY a lot of smoke yesterday about it being a stress fracture. Can't wait to see this roster at full strength.

Our practices can get pretty tough. Here's one from the other day, could be when Tatum injured his foot, kicking that guy in the face. You can hear Vrank call the attack !

Reactions: GARY4plus3
Can we just go ahead and address the obvious? When is somebody on the staff going to look into this long rash of foot injuries and perhaps decide it may not just be regular basketball injuries? We have what seems to be the most consistent year-to-year foot injuries of any top program. Is it the shoes? Perhaps too much concentrated work on that area of the body during the summer? I don't know. All I know is that this is becoming way too consistent and at the very least it should be looked into, if it hasn't already. Sigh... Sorry guys, just very annoyed this has happened yet again to a kid.
Gothic wonderland is made of stone. Too many hard surfaces?

Reactions: vcugreg
Gonna be some bummed people at RR and THR. Including the ones that showed their "concern" for him.
That's why even though I hate it when a UNC player gets hurt (excluding bloody Hansbruh), I don't post voicing my concern. It will always be interpreted as backhanded on the internet.

Javin is going to get some good burn until Jayson gets his foot back. I bet he makes the most of it. I hope we're having the conversation about how Javin needs more minutes in December. I love having a lineup of tall guys that can defend, dribble, pass and shoot a little. It would be like having two Amiles if he grasps the K philosophy.

Reactions: GARY4plus3
That's why even though I hate it when a UNC player gets hurt (excluding bloody Hansbruh), I don't post voicing my concern. It will always be interpreted as backhanded on the internet.
AS long as you know your true intentions, that's all that matter IMO. I read the thread about Tatum over at THR and I thought they were sincere and honest for the most part. Almost all of them wished Tatum well, but many of them were honest in saying they wouldn't be heart broken if he missed the games against UNC. Which i think it fine.

Both Q and Show told us to wait. Q simply stated wait and Show said to wait until the MRI came in. Sometimes like in life we just need to wait things out on here about things that pop up from time to time and I tend to get a little excited sometimes. Yes a sprain can be serious but with proper healing he will be fine. Might as well get ready for the bull crap spinning to come from our dear friends at thr. They will show their ignorance as always. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT