ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless

Ex-UNC star Rashad McCants says relationship with school, coach Roy Williams no longer exists

Former North Carolina men’s basketball star Rashad McCants says he has no relationship with UNC or coach Roy Williams - and that isn’t likely to change anytime soon.

In 2014, McCants alleged that the university kept him eligible through fake classes and minimal attendance, and he said his former coach was complicit with the scheme. Williams has denied any knowledge of wrongdoing, but McCants has stuck to his claims.

“The things he’s done and said and denied, I just can’t respect,” said McCants, who played for Williams for two seasons. “As a coach, he’s a great coach, and he’s deserving of the Hall of Fame and everything that’s coming to him. But as a man, I don’t have anything to say.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article152450349.html

Reactions: skysdad
Un-freakin'-real. "Neither is ready to sit in a classroom yet." What are they? Kindergarten children? Special needs? Wild animals? Seriously. I wanna know. How could ANYTHING she has to say actually HELP unx? smh...

You get the feeling the sacrificial Crowder move is the FINAL STRAW??? Its the LAST THING UNC has in its arsenal to throw against wall and hopes will stick?

If it doesnt stick, ( and lets say they surely expect it won't) they will get word whats coming down (and its serious).

At that 11th hour, finally after spending all those millions, they will instead opt to SAVE the banners, a 2 year ban, and opt for a one year self-imposed ban??? (They will propose it for 2018-19, because Roy wants to desperately try to get a back to back like K).

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
"We didn't break any NCAA rules because the sham courses were available to everyone......we would rather lose our accreditation than have our NCAA titles vacated!"

Unbelievable ain't it? I'll say it again. 7 years ago if ya told me this was gonna happen , I would say that the holes would act just as reprehensibly shameless as they have. I would SAY it but wouldn't truly BELIEVE it. I'd know , deep down , that the adults there would never allow the overgrown frat boys in the Rams Club to completely trash the school's academic reputation just to save banners and win ballgames even IF it meant getting a lil dirt on you-know-who's legacy. They've gone above an' beyond. Gotta hand it to 'em. Dirty as eff , reams of evidence PROVING it and their response? "Mind yer damn biznezz." Kinda impressive really. Scummy an' corrupt but impressive nonetheless.

Not much new just illustrating how dug in unx is. Shameless. Heck , ya take 7 years an' millions of dollars in professional help an' resources , i guess ya wanna get your money's worth...

Battle lines between UNC, NCAA never drawn more sharply – DeCock

We’re headed for a showdown now. There’s no way around it. Whatever happens to North Carolina, whether the university is punished by the NCAA or wriggles off the hook, the battle lines have never been drawn more sharply. After five years, judgment is coming.

Greg Sankey, the SEC commissioner and chairman of the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions, has said he wants a hearing in August. North Carolina’s response to the NCAA’s third Notice of Allegations, released Thursday, makes it clear that the university intends to fight the NCAA’s jurisdiction on every front.

That’s the tone UNC took with its response to the second notice, back in August, and its resolve has only sharpened in this one, not only continuing to lodge objections over the NCAA’s ability to even bring the allegations, but going, at times, sentence by sentence to rebut the evidence offered.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article152660089.html

Taxpayer-Funded University Identifies As ‘Law Enforcement Agency’ To Hide Public Records

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has turned down a television station’s open records request by claiming that it is a law enforcement agency.

UNC Chapel Hill officials made their declaration that the taxpayer-funded, 29,000-student school is actually a very large crime-fighting force after Charlotte CBS affiliate WBTV requested public records from Jeffrey B. Welty, an associate professor within the UNC School of Government.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/25/t...aw-enforcement-agency-to-hide-public-records/

UNC’s Reaction To The NCAA: Go To Heel

Prevaricate, obfuscate and irritate

We can’t speak for the rest of the country but around here, most non-UNC fans are thoroughly disgusted and more than a few UNC fans are as well.

Today? There’s no Dr. Friday to save UNC from itself. The people who are running the university now are splitting hairs and arguing over how many angels can fit on the head of a. pin. They’re cynical and the only goal seems to be to carry on without paying any penalty at all. It’s all about evasion and getting off the hook.

Even if every other penalty was tossed out though there is one that we expect would stand up to any legal challenges and which would leave a lasting mark, and that’s simply to force UNC to forfeit any and every competition in which ineligible athletes participated.

It wouldn’t matter how or why they took the classes or who else took them. It’s a baseline, simple penalty and it would never go away.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-to-the-ncaa-go-to-heel-letter-of-allegations

Ridpath...

North Carolina's Latest Attempt At Deflecting Academic Fraud Allegations As Expected

It is a collective "up yours" to the NCAA process.

I certainly believe the glove fits neatly into the narrative of academic fraud and extra benefit violations according to NCAA rules and past precedent...

If the NCAA chooses to not punish UNC for what to me is are clear and nefarious attempts to maintain athletic eligibility through fraudulent means, then it needs to get out of any academic oversight in college sports completely.

Was this simply two misguided faculty and staff members who threw out any modicum of academic integrity just to help out struggling students with a "wide variety of challenges and interests" without even considering athletics and the benefit to it? That is what UNC wants everyone to believe, but even with the detail and challenges provided in the response, I am not buying it.

...they ( athletes ) had no chance to succeed academically, but the institution had a vested economic interest in keeping them academically eligible.

So while it is possible (not probable in my view) that these courses started completely with a misguided benevolent intent, it is what it became once the utility to athletic eligibility was widely known and accepted that is the critical point. Simply put, an academic debacle like this cannot go on for as long as it did on a major college campus with numerous levels of oversight, by some estimates for over 18 years, but for the benefit to athletics. Any other explanation is pure fantasy.

UNC cannot deny the intense interest that Nyang’oro’ and Crowder had in the success of Tar Heel athletic teams, more specifically football and men's basketball. They both were extreme jock sniffers

These athletes had to stay on the floor and field and the AFAM department provided the perfect soft spot to exploit and regardless of how it started that is what it became, and by NCAA rules that is clear academic fraud and extra benefits and UNC should be punished or the NCAA has lost any remaining shred of credibility it may have as a governing organization.

However, just because something was available to others does not mean that exonerates the school from NCAA scrutiny. In the NCAA's case, finally after years of avoidance they did a much better job addressing the differences and specifics in its third notice of allegations.

UNC has put forth what can be called a strong argument, but the NCAA has also strengthened their own stance with thoroughness and detail. My personal position on this will not change and is crystal clear in that I believe there are major violations of NCAA rules, the University of North Carolina acted unethically and had a lack of institutional control.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bdavid...cting-academic-fraud-allegations-as-expected/

UNC has mounted a compelling response to NCAA notice of allegations

North Carolina’s attorneys claim a media narrative has kept the heat on North Carolina. The truth is North Carolina’s fellow schools have applied the pressure.

https://www.si.com/college-football...tice-allegations-noa-tar-heels-academic-fraud

When did this happen? Seriously. Wallace Loh from the University of Maryland made a comment but that's about it. Even UConn ( who should be screamin' about this! ) hasn't said squat. Where are all these "fellow schools" Staples is talkin' about?

Klassy move by the ex-tarhole QB. Physically threaten the guy who helped win unx a title simply because McCants told the truth about a corrupt and exploitative system. And btw...the elephant in the room in all this is the disproportionate number of African American student athletes negatively impacted. Why am I not surprised that 'Quis would value that less than he does the fruits of a racially-insensitive scam that helps win ballgames? Why am I even LESS surprised at the support he receives after he tweeted this from unx fans? #TarholeNation #carolinaway

This explains a lot about 'Quis' attitude towards academic fraud...

Backup QB Marquise Williams not currently enrolled at UNC

As coach Larry Fedora and his staff prepare to sign an incoming class of new recruits, it appears they now also have concerns about a player already in the North Carolina football program.

According to Andrew Carter of the Raleigh News & Observer, backup quarterback Marquise Williams is not currently enrolled in classes at UNC. Team spokesman Kevin Best confirmed the news, but offered no explanation as to why the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Charlotte native is not in school this semester or whether he plans on returning in the fall.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/34818/backup-qb-marquise-williams-not-currently-enrolled-at-unc/

Klassy move by the ex-tarhole QB. Physically threaten the guy who helped win unx a title simply because McCants told the truth about a corrupt and exploitative system. And btw...the elephant in the room in all this is the disproportionate number of African American student athletes negatively impacted. Why am I not surprised that 'Quis would value that less than he does the fruits of a racially-insensitive scam that helps win ballgames? Why am I even LESS surprised at the support he receives after he tweeted this from unx fans? #TarholeNation #carolinaway

Quis tweet doesnt surprise me in the least. Big talker-he won't do anything to McCants...
Funny- McCants, Willingham and Jay Smith come forth with TRUTH about exploitation of athletes education and are THREATENED, even to point of death. Of course I guess majority of UNC Admin/RC loss perspective of academics when the hoops coach refers to it as "junk!!"

The irony is RW could have been a crusader and hero for this catastrophic decades long scandal if he had gotten things out in open long ago. He could have broken up clustering in his inaugural year, and stressed the importance of education.

However winning BY ANY MEANS necessary is Roy's utmost concern, from the DeShawn Stevenson fiasco of retesting him for SAT scores at Kansas, to looking the other way at UNC.....

A UNC insider (still on payroll) once swore me to secrecy per anonymity, once told me Roy and his chief academic adviser Wayne Walden were "thick as thieves." He stated Roy knew EVERYTHING! Walden never DENIED telling Roy about sham classes/clustering in AFAM, he insisted he just couldnt remember. Sure Wayne, you would forget about something this significant, the exploitation of athletes academics.

If the COI hits em hard( and I think they may at least impose a one year ban), gosh I sure hope the sue the NCAA.

Nothing would delight me more to see the "discovery provision" exercised by the NCAA, and see Wayne Walden and perhaps even ol Roy undergo questioning!

OFC

Last edited:
Nothing would delight me more to see the "discovery provision" exercised by the NCAA, and see Wayne Walden and perhaps even ol Roy undergo questioning!

Always amusing seeing the unx fans who say , "The NCAA doesn't want this in court yada yada yada." And unx DOES?! Tarhole fans read this thread. Tell us , guys. Which person related to unx athletics are ya most lookin' forward to sittin' in a witness box...in open court...giving SWORN testimony? Walden? Nyangoro? Crowder? Roy? Any number of the hundreds of unx athletes who knew about and participated in the scam? The professors and administrators involved? Fats Thomas? Who? Which one of those is most preferable? Trust me. The LAST thing unx wants is for this to go to court.

Always amusing seeing the unx fans who say , "The NCAA doesn't want this in court yada yada yada." And unx DOES?! Tarhole fans read this thread. Tell us , guys. Which person related to unx athletics are ya most lookin' forward to sittin' in a witness box...in open court...giving SWORN testimony? Walden? Nyangoro? Crowder? Roy? Any number of the hundreds of unx athletes who knew about and participated in the scam? The professors and administrators involved? Fats Thomas? Who? Which one of those is most preferable? Trust me. The LAST thing unx wants is for this to go to court.

THIS!!! For Certain!

OFC

Mary...

Latest UNC response & questions to ponder

1) Where are the phone records from ASPSA to (DC) Debbie Crowder (2000-2009)?

2) Why did DC think that it was ok for 291 students to take “independent studies” (AFRI 190 or AFAM 190) in 2003/4? (Cheated, page 24)

3) How would DC and UNC attorneys explain this chart? paper class impact on GPA

4) What are UNC’s specific examples of the ‘fake news’ about the scandal?

5) How will the NCAA & UNC handle this evidence in the upcoming Jenkins v. NCAA lawsuit?

6) Will there be a *winner* in the NCAA vs. UNC final game? We already know the losers.

7) Wrongful termination lawsuits? J. Lee, B. Bridger, B. Blanton, T. McMillan

8) Will any of the athletes from the 2005 or 2009 championship teams ever post their transcripts? (How about some of the football players?)

9) Why did UNC pay more than three million dollars for a report it now calls “inaccurate”? Should UNC demand a refund?

10) Why didn’t DC and her advising friends in Steele and Kenan Field House make sure that ALL students knew about the “special arrangement” courses?

11) Who is ever going to explain the 560 illegal grade changes?

12) If DC didn’t know NCAA rules, and didn’t pay attention to eligibility or graduation rates, why would she ask JB if she only “needed” a D?

And finally one last silly question.

Why do the head bananas in athletics make more money than the head bananas in South (Park) Building?

http://paperclassinc.com/the-beat-goes-on/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT