ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless

2017 NCAA Tournament: A Timely Reminder From The Times: UNC Is The UNLV Of The East

The cheating which occurred at UNC is nearly as bad as the way UNC has tried to deny and escape responsibility for it.

UNC is competing for a national championship for the second year in a row and for the second year in a row, ESPN, CBS and almost everyone is ignoring the immense academic fraud scandal that is still unresolved. How’s this for pithy: two decades of cheating, nearly one decade of lying about it.

So it was nice for the New York Times to have Michael Powell write this reminder...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-unc-is-the-unlv-of-the-east-academic-scandal

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
2017 NCAA Tournament: A Timely Reminder From The Times: UNC Is The UNLV Of The East

The cheating which occurred at UNC is nearly as bad as the way UNC has tried to deny and escape responsibility for it.

UNC is competing for a national championship for the second year in a row and for the second year in a row, ESPN, CBS and almost everyone is ignoring the immense academic fraud scandal that is still unresolved. How’s this for pithy: two decades of cheating, nearly one decade of lying about it.

So it was nice for the New York Times to have Michael Powell write this reminder...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-unc-is-the-unlv-of-the-east-academic-scandal

It's so sickening to see ESPN, and others falling all over themselves showering the Heels with praise for their 'brotherhood', and family ways while making the last two Final Fours...with nary a mention of the scandal...and that coming from a group that constantly brings up politics, and stirs the pot at every opportunity. BUT NOT ABOUT THE PRECIOUS. No, can't do that. The Tar Heels evidently are too big to fail.

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
So wait, I just realized something the other day and it brought about some confusion on my part. So, no matter if you argue that this is a purely academic scandal or athletic scandal, too, the academic part is still there. Two decades of cheating from an academics perspective. Yet SACS only punished them with a one year suspension of their accreditation unless they changed certain things at their school.

Has that ever been addressed? Two decades of cheating academically and the school wasn't closed or at least punished severely by SACS or other academic organizations? That honestly perplexes me more than the NCAA not punishing them. Has it ever been addressed why SACS gave them no real punishment?

SACS has never yanked accreditation from a tier one research university. Ever. unx is the first one they've ever put on probation. #HangABanner. At the time , Belle Wheelan ( SACS prez ) said the probation was the toughest sanction they had. I don't think there's any collusion between unx and SACS either. I just think anything other than probation was never on the table. unx got their sheet together enough to appease SACS so they avoided calamity. Loss of accreditation could mean closing the doors. Also , ya can't be a member of the NCAA without it. Pretty sure that had unx lost it and stayed open they would cease participating in NCAA athletics anyway. God forbid.

found_out_zpschbvziwx.jpeg

Some good stuff here. Too much to copy. Check out Powell's Twitter page. Gettin' support but , as always , the Tarhole Nation can't prevent itself from chiming in. One of the more sickening aspects of this is how many holes wanna re-write history and/or re-litigate this case. If nuthin' else...bare minimum...you'd think they'd have moved on from the usual bs talking points..."easy classes" "regular students took courses too" etc. Geez Louise , I think I even read some version of a "rogue offenders" rationale in there too. They don't even know what unx is challenging anymore. They're busted. Even Bubba admitted it recently. unx isn't challenging their guilt anymore. They conceded that a long time ago. They're challenging the NCAA over procedural and jurisdictional issues. Good Lord...

https://twitter.com/powellnyt

Some good stuff here. Too much to copy. Check out Powell's Twitter page. Gettin' support but , as always , the Tarhole Nation can't prevent itself from chiming in. One of the more sickening aspects of this is how many holes wanna re-write history and/or re-litigate this case. If nuthin' else...bare minimum...you'd think they'd have moved on from the usual bs talking points..."easy classes" "regular students took courses too" etc. Geez Louise , I think I even read some version of a "rogue offenders" rationale in there too. They don't even know what unx is challenging anymore. They're busted. Even Bubba admitted it recently. unx isn't challenging their guilt anymore. They conceded that a long time ago. They're challenging the NCAA over procedural and jurisdictional issues. Good Lord...

https://twitter.com/powellnyt

"We screwed up and cheated but dont you dare charge us w/anything!" Lmao

#Elitists
#Arrogance
#CarolinaWay

OFC

Benefield: Why I really, really, really want North Carolina to lose in Final Four

Ridpath didn't write the article but his words encapsulate the way many feel about this...

The NCAA has dropped the hammer fast and hard on schools that have done far less. So the foot-dragging seems to be a way to keep a marquee institution in the mix of one of its biggest moneymakers. Again, call me cynical.

“I think we should all feel queasy about this,” said B. David Ridpath, associate professor of sports administration at Ohio University. “Why are they still playing when this is still going on?”.

“Here you had 18 years of violations that essentially became more available to regular students because they simply wanted to keep it going,” he said. “To sit there and say that other students got the benefit makes it OK? We are talking about one of our best public institutions.”

Ridpath, who has written in Forbes magazine on the topic, said the NCAA is on trial as much as UNC. It’s like a competition to see who can emerge looking less terrible.

“This case has not followed any real procedure,” he said. “This one has been really strange.”

And still the Tar Heels get to play.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/6838405-181/benefield-why-i-really-really

This is the kinda idiotic nonsense I get from holes on Twitter. smh...

Yes , dipsheet. Every school has independent studies. No , dipsheet every school doesn't use them improperly for athletic/academic eligibility like unx did.

I like when Heels fans brag about not being part of the one and done era. First of all, they have had a couple of them, they also turned multiple projected one and dones into multi-year players. Finally, if these fans would research their own team's recruiting, they'd see that Roy has tried every season to lock down top one and done recruits who always tell him no.

Final Four 2017: For UNC innocents, this may be only national title shot they get

A dark cloud still hangs over the program with the real possibility of current players paying for past players' crimes

The innocents await Monday night.

We’re talking about North Carolina’s players who could win a national championship against Gonzaga, then not be able to defend it.

As an epically long and contentious academic fraud investigation/case draws to a close (hopefully) at Carolina, there is a clear and present possibility of major sanctions.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...his-may-be-only-national-title-shot-they-get/

I like when Heels fans brag about not being part of the one and done era. First of all, they have had a couple of them, they also turned multiple projected one and dones into multi-year players. Finally, if these fans would research their own team's recruiting, they'd see that Roy has tried every season to lock down top one and done recruits who always tell him no.

UNCheat has recruited the same players Duke has recruited, but they have failed to land them. It is funny how Hole fans say they are glad Roy doesn't recruit the OAD. He absolutely does!! There have been many OAD that UNC has gone after, they just can't reel them in.

Reactions: MikeD2891
UNCheat has recruited the same players Duke has recruited, but they have failed to land them. It is funny how Hole fans say they are glad Roy doesn't recruit the OAD. He absolutely does!! There have been many OAD that UNC has gone after, they just can't reel them in.

C8Yc2X8WAAApE27.jpg

CBS’s Jim Nantz is getting crushed after making controversial comments about North Carolina

One short comment on the air has gotten Jim Nance in hot water.

During the Tar Heels thrilling 77-76 win over Oregon, Nance brought up an academic scandal that has been dogging North Carolina. (In short, a report said the scandal involved 3,100 students over 18 years).

Here’s what he said:

“They’ve had to live with all of this, all the swirling innuendo with what went on there with all the academic fraud allegations.”

Twitter wasn’t kind, noting that the term “swirling innuendo” doesn’t go near far enough.

http://fanbuzz.com/story/cbss-jim-n...-controversial-comments-about-north-carolina/

What time does dook play tonight play Monday?

/\

One of those guys who doesn't get that there are things more important than a ball going through a hoop.

Who else is in the same place I am... That there is literally nothing a UNC fan can say that makes me feel bad? Like... If we went 3-30, I still wouldn't care if a UNC fan tried to tease me about it, because... Well, you know. Who else is at that point?

/\

One of those guys who doesn't get that there are things more important than a ball going through a hoop.

Who else is in the same place I am... That there is literally nothing a UNC fan can say that makes me feel bad? Like... If we went 3-30, I still wouldn't care if a UNC fan tried to tease me about it, because... Well, you know. Who else is at that point?
Lol, says the guy on a message board about sports. How many people are on messages boards where the main topics are academics and what degrees should someone get. Plus you didn't answer the question.

Wow epic fail at an insult "play tonight play Monday". If you're going to insult someone, make sure you don't mess up your wording. You fit right in with the Heels. That's not a compliment by the way.
I missed the part where you answered the question in your beautifully written response.

Lol, says the guy on a message board about sports. How many people are on messages boards where the main topics are academics and what degrees should someone get. Plus you didn't answer the question.

You are aware that many fans of college sports actually WENT to college (and some even to the college they cheer for,) worked hard to achieve while there, and are proud of their accomplishments and education, right? And that the vast majority of the world understands that education is a more important aspect of college than sports by an order of magnitude? Yes, we are talking college basketball on this forum, but the COLLEGE part of that is sort of understood to be the most important part... it isn't an NBA forum, after all. We don't often discuss the academics because we assume that is part of college sports.

I mean, I understand that at UNC it wasn't, but for the rest of the world, that's the way it is.

You seem a bit... well, simple.

Reactions: QC Dukie
What time does 5-time champion Duke play tonight play Monday? By the way, I'm a coward suffering from penis envy, that's why I go to Duke message boards. Also my football team lost against Clemson so I must take it out on Duke fans, but they're so classy I really have taken a liking to them. I'm sorry for my comments, they were idiotic, I know. #RollTried

Reactions: dukephysics
You are aware that many fans of college sports actually WENT to college (and some even to the college they cheer for,) worked hard to achieve while there, and are proud of their accomplishments and education, right? And that the vast majority of the world understands that education is a more important aspect of college than sports by an order of magnitude? Yes, we are talking college basketball on this forum, but the COLLEGE part of that is sort of understood to be the most important part... it isn't an NBA forum, after all. We don't often discuss the academics because we assume that is part of college sports.

I mean, I understand that at UNC it wasn't, but for the rest of the world, that's the way it is.

You seem a bit... well, simple.
i am also aware that the majority of dook fans have never even been to NC let alone go to school at dook. But tell yourself whatever you need to to help with the SC lost.

i am also aware that the majority of dook fans have never even been to NC let alone go to school at dook. But tell yourself whatever you need to to help with the SC lost.

It never occurred to me that "Valuing education" or "We should not be cheaters" was a state-by-state thing. Heck, I didn't think either one has much to do with going to "dook" (sic) or any other school... but then again, as you've so aptly pointed out... at least in one school's case, maybe it does? ;)

I don't know what losing to South Carolina has to do with anything. The results of a bunch of kids playing a basketball game has no impact on decades of institutional cheating, cheating that actually rips off athletes from other schools who have worked hard, ripping away the results they SHOULD have fairly earned, and in fact rips off UNC's own athletes of the educations they SHOULD have been receiving. It feels to me that you are scampering over to this forum to make some sad attempt to take shots at Duke fans or distract from the fact that nobody on Earth thinks the biggest cheaters in sports should be playing basketball.

But hey, you do you... enjoy your hollow basketball wins that don't really matter in any meaningful way... I'll keep being proud of my Duke degrees, and also of my school's athletics, which achieve lots ON the playing field but also prepare our student-athletes for their lives beyond throwing a ball or running or whatever team we cheer for.

Last edited:
Let me know when coach K dominates his sport like Saban has college football.

Woof. Just trying to helpful here... When you are trying to talk smack, and the way you do it is by going after the best coach in college basketball history, it is possible you are going in the wrong direction.

Just FYI. Trying to help.

It never occurred to me that "Valuing education" or "We should not be cheaters" was a state-by-state thing. Heck, I didn't think either one has much to do with going to "dook" (sic) or any other school... but then again, as you've so aptly pointed out... at least in one school's case, maybe it does? ;)

I don't know what losing to South Carolina has to do with anything. The results of a bunch of kids playing a basketball game has no impact on decades of institutional cheating, cheating that actually rips off athletes from other schools who have worked hard, ripping away the results they SHOULD have fairly earned, and in fact rips off UNC's own athletes of the educations they SHOULD have been receiving. It feels to me that you are scampering over to this forum to make some sad attempt to take shots at Duke fans or distract from the fact that nobody on Earth thinks the biggest cheaters in sports should be playing basketball.

But hey, you do you... enjoy your hollow basketball wins that don't really matter in any meaningful way... I'll keep being proud of my Duke degrees, and also of my school's athletics, which achieve lots ON the playing field but also prepare our student-athletes for their lives beyond throwing a ball or running or whatever team we cheer for.
Spoken like a dude who's team lost again early in the tourney. I am sure dook prepared all those players that went to school for two months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT