ADVERTISEMENT

Scout's latest on Duke's 2018 class

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
Guys, I just wanted to pass along. It's the last info I'll get for a while.

Joey Baker
The Word:
"Baker is in Colorado Springs and really trying to establish himself as a scorer; not just a catch and shoot guy. Has his work cut out for him to make it competing against a lot of elite athletes."

What I've seen:
"I have not seen him in person in some time, but I have seen some recent vids. He has been working on his movement off the ball, agility skills, and physically developing."

What I know:
"I talked to his HS coach a while back and he was very complimentary of Joey's basketball IQ, his willingness to be a team player and his work ethic to get better. He also said that Joey has one of cleanest shooting strokes and mechanics that he has seen."

Intangibles:
"Joey looks as though as he has gained some strength and weigh since I last saw him. He will need to continue to get stronger to meet the physical demands as a combo forward type player. How that projects at the next level is not clear yet because at his size 6-6/6-7, he would have to potentially be like a (Kyle) Korver as a shooter."

How it all translates:
"I'm not really sure. He's not a (Kyle) Singler or (Ryan) Kelly, but he's better than (Jordan) Tucker, the kid who left, coming out of HS. He could help Duke as a shooter and scorer. He's a good program type kid."

RJ Barrett
The Word:
"RJ has been all over the place working on his game. In LA working on he's shooting mechanics, working on adding strength and competing. True definition of a "gym rat" who's family has the finances to make his gym North America."

What I've seen:
"I have not seen him except for what is out there on the Internet. Kid looks like he is transforming physically."

What I've heard:
"He's aware of all of the areas of his game that need attention and he is determined to work on those areas."

What I know:
"I know his dad from his days in the NBA. The family is grounded and realistic. RJ will have whatever resources he needs but only RJ can take advantage of it all which he is doing."
"Can also say, RJ will have all eyes on him from NBA team. Can be a special, special player."

Intangibles:
"At 6-6/6-7 and adding strength, I was told he's 205-210 range now, he can play in college the 2-4. There is no doubting he's a true gamer and that attitude to compete, succeed in big games, and being a leader will give him and Duke one of the top college players next year."

How it all translates:
"No one can really project stats or numbers because systems can influence those, but I would expect RJ's impact at Duke to be that of Bagley last year. Again, I'm not saying statistically, but impact. If he continues to develop he's in line to be the top pick in 2019."

Cameron Reddish
The Word:
"He's still growing. He was recently measured at 6-7.5 without shoes and 6-9 with shows. He's so long and fluid as an athlete already. People want to see him add some strength because he's slender."

What I've seen:
"From all I have seen, my view remains the same (and the same as a majority of scouts), Reddish has all of the skills in the world but he doesn't assert himself in games at a high enough rate. If he would have RJ game intensity, Cameron would be hands down the best player in the class and the best NBA prospect.

What I've heard:
"He's in a walking boot to deal with a stress reaction in his foot. What that really means, I don't know but if he's still growing it could be related to that. Will be interesting to see how this plays out."

Intangibles:
"Reddish can play a college 1-4. There is no one that can question his skills or athleticism. And if he's 6-9, that just adds to the intrigue. That motor issue has to be Coach K's number one focus."

How it all translates:
"Reddish is seen as a do it all type of NBA player based on skill. In college, he could be first team All American type to a that player that could have been."

Zion Williamson
The Word:
"He's almost 100% healthy again. Skipped the US 18 tryouts to get to Duke and work on his game, bond with the team and continue to rehab."

What I've heard:
"NBA people want to see how he plays in the post verse bigger players and if he can consistently make jumpers including 3pt shots. Although he's very strong, giving up that much height, how does Zion adjust. Is he able to rebound and finish."

What I know:
"Zion is a freak athlete. What he impressed people with at Mc Donald's practices was his ability to dribble and handle the ball and his change of pace and direction on the move. Those are covered NBA skill traits."

Intangibles:
"It's all been said before and well known. Can he play with physicality for Duke? If so, he brings a Draymond (Green) dimension."

How it all translates:
"He has to be the highest rated player with everyone watching who has the most to prove. In college, he could easily be a double double guy and a glue guy for Duke's stud class."

Tre Jones
The Word:
"Already at Duke and rehabbing and hip injury which I was told was a hip sprain (a slight tear) which is very limiting to a player and painful. These injuries have no true time frame to heal because it's also based on pain tolerance and how it impedes movement."

What I know:
"Jones is such a headsy player with the ball in his hands that he will get teammates the ball in a good position to score. He's getting stronger (around 185 or so) and he's about 6-2/6-3. Lots of talk about his 3pt shooting, but my guess is you'll see his percentage go up at Duke because the ones he will take will most likely be uncontested."

Intangibles:
"He's a Duke, Coach K player from A-Z. Want to see how much he presses defensively and how many turnovers he creates which could be huge got transition buckets and denying dribble penetration, an area that has been somewhat of an Achilles heel to Duke in recent years."

How it all translates:
"When healthy, whenever that's the case, Tre will be a consistent college PG, especially at Duke. There's no real NBA talk but he's known because of his rankings, he's part of that terrific Duke incoming class and being Tyus' brother. Could be the key for Duke this year."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News