ADVERTISEMENT

Roy retiring

Would be a bad look on Roy if Kessler returned after he retired:

https://www.si.com/college/unc/basketball/hubert-davis-wants-to-keep-walker-kessler
That was exactly my first thought, and if I were Davis I don't think that is a string I would pull out of respect to my predecessor. If he returns he is essentially saying it was specifically about Roy. Though it makes the team better in the short term, the optics are terrible and the insult to Roy is evident. I'm surprised Davis is pursuing that.

That was exactly my first thought, and if I were Davis I don't think that is a string I would pull out of respect to my predecessor. If he returns he is essentially saying it was specifically about Roy. Though it makes the team better in the short term, the optics are terrible and the insult to Roy is evident. I'm surprised Davis is pursuing that.

I've discussed this very thing with several UNC fans and the responses vary. Truly depends on their personal opinion of Roy. I for one would leave Kessler be, but that's me.

For Davis, I think he has to do what he has to do. He needs next season to be a good one for them. You know UNC fans are running a little thin on patience after two straight subpar seasons and Kessler would almost certainly add some wins to their tally.

I think Hubert Davis is a stupid hire. Yes, it could turn out well - you never know... BUT:

He has 0 head coaching experience - and this is a plum job, not a mid major or second tier power conference team.

Roy Williams UNC teams pre-Hubert Davis played a total of 325 games and had a 79% winning record. With Hubert Davis on his staff UNC played a total of 323 games (so almost an identical sample size), and they have plummeted to a 70% winning record. That is about a 12% drop from the number of wins previously.

When he was hired he was laudeded as someone that could get their jump shooters better and the last two years they have absolutely tanked in that respect. Both years they shot less than 31% from the 3.

Hubert Davis served on a staff that was complicit with widespread academic cheating. Roy's gone so it would seem it would be a good time for UNC to clear house and rid themselves of that stigma.

So UNC is betting addition by subtraction? That they will somehow be better with the same-old same-old minus a Hall of Fame Coach?

I'm not so sure it is so much about family as it is about incest at Carolina now.
Huckleberry Hound quit. Davis gotta do what Davis gotta do. I'd go after Kessler too. He's one of the top transfers.
I agree Roy quit, things were on a downward spiral and Roy abandoned ship. Now Davis is trying salvage whats left and build any momentum he can to reverse the trend.

Reactions: geddoughton23
JB it surprises me as well. Seems like Hubert would be upsetting the POLTICAL apple cart with Cheatin' Roy Williams going that route!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT