ADVERTISEMENT

Roy retiring

Listened to some of his press conference . He talked to the players all week to tell them before it leaked. For more not to have left yet leads me to believe they know atleast who the intern coach will be.

I don’t see Wes Miller but could be wrong.

Roy Williams profited off the long running bogus classes scandal. Anyone who read "Cheated" by Jay Smith knows this. Hes folksy with the media, and they lap up his corny humor and slap ya on the back manner. Starting with the 'ship in '05 (10 AFAM majors) the fun began as Roy's right hand academic man Wayne Walden worked Roy's bogus classes for players like a charm. In Jay Smith's words to me once at a book signing, Roy and Wayne Walden were "thick as theives."

We're not stupid Roy. If Kessler and Sharp were back next year you'd be back too. Get real, and dry up the water works....
#RoyKnew

OFC

Roy Williams profited off the long running bogus classes scandal. Anyone who read "Cheated" by Jay Smith knows this. Hes folksy with the media, and they lap up his corny humor and slap ya on the back manner. Starting with the 'ship in '05 (10 AFAM majors) the fun began as Roy's right hand academic man Wayne Walden worked Roy's bogus classes for players like a charm. In Jay Smith's words to me once at a book signing, Roy and Wayne Walden were "thick as theives."

We're not stupid Roy. If Kessler and Sharp were back next year you'd be back too. Get real, and dry up the water works....
#RoyKnew

OFC

He thinks we are stupid though. OFC

I’ve seen Hubert’s name mentioned a bunch today. Seems that’s who Roy and a lot of current and former players will be pushing for. Question is will the boosters who are not former players go for Hubert or want a big name who’s not a former Tarheel.

If this was K leaving Duke then his wishes would carry a lot more weight I believe.

It's going to be Patrick Baldwins dad. OFC

Reactions: bobcrane14
Listened to some of his press conference . He talked to the players all week to tell them before it leaked. For more not to have left yet leads me to believe they know atleast who the intern coach will be.

I don’t see Wes Miller but could be wrong.

If the team has known for a week and stuck around, it’s either Hubert or Wanda will be the interim coach until 2021 NBA announcements; transfers; and recruiting is done. NANA PUDDING > Wes Miller

If the team has known for a week and stuck around, it’s either Hubert or Wanda will be the interim coach until 2021 NBA announcements; transfers; and recruiting is done. NANA PUDDING > Wes Miller

miler and davis both have had plenty of that " puddin." I would imagine it's gonna be in their contract. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Everyone ages, and some age at a different rate. Roy has had a few health scares over the years and I think it’s just caught up to him a little more.

My father is 71 and it amazes how good of shape and how sharp he still is today. One of his younger brothers, who is 66, has had more health scares. He looks, moves and thinks like someone who is 10 years older than my dad.

That’s kind of Roy. From the outside looking in, I see a man who has aged more so than some others in recent years.

'i'm not the right man for the job anymore' - a very honest statement from Roy. And he is obviously feeling the changes that we discuss on the board in college basketball and recognizes that its not for him anymore. I wish him well on his retirement. Love him or hate him or anything in between...he was a very successful basketball coach.

Reactions: jeffrey236
A lot of sports writers are saying it's down to Davis and Miller. Robinson with an outside shot. If I am UNC, I'd go with Miller. Apparently, all the interviews have been with people in the Carolina family. Ultimately, I will be shocked if they pick someone outside of that group.

Either Davis will grow into the position and play a more modern style than Roy, or he'll be the place holder for Miller in a few years.

This is a good blueprint for the Duke hire in the next 3-5 years. See if it works.

Davis could be a good hire. Everyone knows who he is from Sports Center.

I’ve always viewed Hubert as UNC’s version of Jay Bilas. Bilas is probably smarter but Hubert probably gets along with players of today better. Think Hubert will get the most out of his players, but his success will depend on defining his own style of play; evaluating players; and being able to recruit well. He will need a couple really solid assistants to help with the recruiting and player evaluation portion of his job.

Should have plenty of money to use to get any assistant coaches that he wants.

Meh.... My assumption is he will not be their coach in 6 years or so. But who knows... Tough gig for a first head coaching job.

True, it will be tough. I'm not exactly sure what to think of him as the head coach honestly. It's a little surreal thinking about Carolina without Roy. Good for Hubert though. He's a good dude and deserves his shot. Obviously, I hope they suck ass, but nothing against him though.

Good for Hubert though. He's a good dude and deserves his shot. Obviously, I hope they suck ass, but nothing against him though.
Same here bleed. I always liked Hubert on ESPN commentary, preferred him quite frankly over Bilas or Jay Williams per talking hoops. Hubert deserves a chance, but 10-4:"Obviously I hope they suck ass." OFC

True, it will be tough. I'm not exactly sure what to think of him as the head coach honestly. It's a little surreal thinking about Carolina without Roy. Good for Hubert though. He's a good dude and deserves his shot. Obviously, I hope they suck ass, but nothing against him though.
What a kind soul you are.

I don’t think Hubert can coach one lick. I’ve watched him on the sideline looking completely lost. But I bet he will be able to recruit decently. Still, I’d put the over/under of Final Fours he reaches at 0.5 and take the under

Same here bleed. I always liked Hubert on ESPN commentary, preferred him quite frankly over Bilas or Jay Williams per talking hoops. Hubert deserves a chance, but 10-4:"Obviously I hope they suck ass." OFC

He seems better suited for the sideline rather than the booth. I think people who are dismissive of his abilities will be surprised next year. Hubert is a good recruiter. I think the quality of his players won't be the issue. It will be, can he bring everyone together as a cohesive unit. Only time will tell.

I think Hubert Davis is a stupid hire. Yes, it could turn out well - you never know... BUT:

He has 0 head coaching experience - and this is a plum job, not a mid major or second tier power conference team.

Roy Williams UNC teams pre-Hubert Davis played a total of 325 games and had a 79% winning record. With Hubert Davis on his staff UNC played a total of 323 games (so almost an identical sample size), and they have plummeted to a 70% winning record. That is about a 12% drop from the number of wins previously.

When he was hired he was laudeded as someone that could get their jump shooters better and the last two years they have absolutely tanked in that respect. Both years they shot less than 31% from the 3.

Hubert Davis served on a staff that was complicit with widespread academic cheating. Roy's gone so it would seem it would be a good time for UNC to clear house and rid themselves of that stigma.

So UNC is betting addition by subtraction? That they will somehow be better with the same-old same-old minus a Hall of Fame Coach?

I'm not so sure it is so much about family as it is about incest at Carolina now.

That would be the ultimate insult to Roy.

OFC

The optics of him returning in that way would be horrible for Roy's image right now. Long-term effects? Not sure about that. Did you see everything that Larry Drew tweeted about him? I think Drew may have deleted most of it. But it was rough.

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT