ADVERTISEMENT

ROACH IS BACK

Practices are going to be intense in late September/October. This will be Duke’s deepest team since the 10-11 season.

PG - Proctor
SG - Roach
SF - Mitchell
PF - Flip
C - Reeves

Bench:
C - Young
G - Blakes
G - Schutt
F/C - Stewart
G - McCain
G/F- Foster
F - Power

* Udeh if he transfers from Kansas to Duke

Great to get all these guys back. Also great to see a guy who would rather play for Duke than in the G League. In recent years I felt some of our guys were a little too desperate to get to the NBA.
Yes but they also didn’t have NIL where they could get legally paid . Keels is the only one who wished he would have stuck around but he did get a 3 million dollar contract .

Have there been any reports on the guys that came back and the NIL deals that were agreed on? Seems like Duke keeps things very close to the vest, while other schools you can see/read everything that the guys got.

To be honest the only NIL money I have heard a Duke player getting was Roach and Paolo . Paolo’s was 2K basketball and Roach’s was that sport hydration drink company . Both were over six figures .

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Ah OK.

But adding a starting center moves Flip back to PF and Mitchell back to SF. With the starting SF spot filled, neither McCain or Foster can hope to start as part of a 3 guard lineup. So any way you slice it, one of Foster or McCain is looking at extremely limited PT being the fourth guard in minutes played.

I expect opposing teams to start tampering immediately, and I bet Nolan Smith makes the first phone call.
Flip was never going to be the main center. Can you post the link where a Duke guard has decommitted ? You best go back to getting your info from Gary. Your current source is not very reliable.

Nine years ago when I was still in sports information, I would keep stats for the NM State basketball tournaments in Albuquerque. There was this team that would run, substitute in waves, and substitute same time and lineups like clockwork. There was one game they were up double-digits early, but i kept thinking "does not seem like they have a go-to player, lineup, or they are on the floor together enough to not be in disarray in crunch time of a close game. That double-digit lead? Evaporated, said team goes to OT and is crushed.

My point is, we need that senior leadership and that alpha dog mentality. One only needs to see the crunchtime lay-ups against the Cheats to see. I think he will be that voice and leader we need at crunchtime and we would never even have the faintest idea how big of a loss Roach could have been. We may be more talented than anybody else in the country, but we will inevitably have a game or two go to crunchtime. There is no one else i would rather have bringing the ball up the court and running the show this season than Roach.

And don't forget the ancient standby....a free education!
OFC
Not everywhere! I would not call what you get at UNCheat an education, at least from a traditional academic standpoint. The poor bastards almost lost their acredidation. They do seem to inculcate their players with other "life lessons".:p OFC

Absolutely shocking turn of events the past month. Unbelievable. The 2023 season will be so rewarding.

When is the last time we returned 4 starters? 😲 I think it was the 2009-2011 Era

Last returning starting Senior was Grayson in 2018

Reactions: christophero
In 2011 we returned 2 starters (Singler, Smith) as well as the Plumlee Brothers. In 2010 we returned Singler, Smith, Scheyer, Lance Thomas and Zoubek. I don't think Zoubek started in 2009. So 4 starters in 2010. I know in 2002 we returned Boozer, J Will, Duhon and Dunleavy.

Last edited:
In 2011 we returned 2 starters (Singler, Smith) as well as the Plumlee Brothers. In 2010 we returned Singler, Smith, Scheyer, Lance Thomas and Zoubek. I don't think Zoubek started in 2009. So 4 starters in 2010. I know in 2002 we returned Boozer, J Will, Duhon and Dunleavy.
Henderson and Williams started at end of 09 too…

Henderson and Williams started at end of 09 too…
I remember that. I remember being bummed about Williams (Henderson was expected, but Williams seemed on the verge of greatness.) But somehow we won it the next year.

I suppose he could have a point, but keep in mind "Mr Goodbar" hates Duke:

OFC
I have had the same concerns. Which is also a reason I think we didn’t get a “quality” big from the portal. On paper our roster is loaded.

You can have too much talent. Jon has his work cut out. We can only hope everyone puts the team above their self.

If a deep run doesn’t happen, Duke will be ridiculed.

Reactions: jamsession3
I see both sides, but getting your senior PG back is not a bad thing. Roach does need to cut down on his shot taking but I think he will. Unless he is red hot we don't need him taking 12-15 shots a game. He has been inconsistent, but when he is "on" we are a much better team. The fact that none of the freshman guards opted out tells me they are team players. I do agree that him back made it harder to get a big man, as there are only so many shots to go around. Someone on the other board said if this was the pros we could trade a guard for a big man, and I agree. But I like our team. It's one of those teams that could go on a deep run or get taken out early. Our sophomores played a ton last year and that should pay off this year. Will be fun to watch.

You never turn down a senior guard coming back (I wouldn’t call him a PG because Proctor is that) but Roach has years of playmaking experience. The 2 issues I see with Roach is: not a great catch and shoot 3pt shooter and he’s at best an average defender.

Roach needs the ball to do what he does. He has an amazing crossover into a 15 foot jumpshot. If he is 100% healthy, he can get to the rim at will and did it in alot of big spots last year. But again: he needs the ball to be at his best, that takes it away from others.

Nobody is saying you turn down a solid player like Roach that decides to return. The potential situation raised is Jon being able to keep all of the players happy.

His job this season to me is more challenging than last season. We have more studs in the stable. Will some of them be willing to take a backseat?

If so, great. But chemistry is just as important to a title run. Lack of it can kill a team just as well.

Does 2015 ring a bell?

You always take the talent, especially experienced talent. It's a good problem to have. If everything clicks this team could be dominant. If nothing else we should have more wins early and a better seed. That's all you can ask.

Jeff Goodman has always hated Duke so I put less stock in what he has to say than I do Andy Katz, which is saying alot. Getting Roach back helps this team and there's no debate about that.

I've heard that Foster is a multi year guard anyway, so I think it works perfect. He will undoubtedly help this team, but we wont need to rely on a freshman to run the team which is refreshing. Hopefully the same for McCain in terms of coming back as a sophomore.

Guard situation looks locked and loaded for next 2 years which is a luxury.

Jeff Goodman has always hated Duke so I put less stock in what he has to say than I do Andy Katz, which is saying alot. Getting Roach back helps this team and there's no debate about that.

I've heard that Foster is a multi year guard anyway, so I think it works perfect. He will undoubtedly help this team, but we wont need to rely on a freshman to run the team which is refreshing. Hopefully the same for McCain in terms of coming back as a sophomore.

Guard situation looks locked and loaded for next 2 years which is a luxury.
Jimbo I like your thoughts on this. Goodman's disdain for Duke CANNOT be overlooked. It's hard to overlook a starting senior who wants to return.

I understand @Mac9192 and his concerns. You do worry about "chemistry" with such a talented stable of guards. I think Jon is the BEST COACH to address it, and I look for a fairly healthy contingent of guard play next year. OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT