ADVERTISEMENT

ROACH IS BACK

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

Just our luck, we went from nobody returning (except Roach) one year to everyone returning (including Roach) the next year, after the staff clearly recruited expecting at least one guard to leave.

Now Scheyer's salesmanship comes into play. Can he convince the freshmen guards to stay and wait their turn?

So do we want returning upperclassmen or FR? We all would hand wring when everybody would leave. Now we hand wring that someone may leave because a player returns.

The mind of a sports fan.

Deadline for portal entries is past tho. Unless Blakes graduates early I don't think either one is going anywhere.

If we lose a guard it'll be Foster or McCain
Think McCain stays. The guy that I was worried about flipping to Louisville and Nolan has always been Foster. Think their season helped to eliminate those ideas, but would not be surprised at all if Nolan is already working Foster this morning.

What are the rules regarding another coach contacting a player that has signed with a school but hasn’t started school yet?

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Think McCain stays. The guy that I was worried about flipping to Louisville and Nolan has always been Foster. Think their season helped to eliminate those ideas, but would not be surprised at all if Nolan is already working Foster this morning.

What are the rules regarding another coach contacting a player that has signed with a school but hasn’t started school yet?
Not sure on the rules but whatever they are, no one follows them. They won’t directly contact the players but will make sure they know they are welcome lol

He can only be contacted if he ask out of his LOI. Players can transfer again around December at mid-season break I believe .
One would have to think it would be Blakes or Schutt but then again they could ride out the season and see their minutes go up next season .

This is amazing news! I don’t understand why people are scared of losing a freshman guard… so what ? You never know how freshman are going to pan out. We’re returning a solid guard , an actual veteran and someone who can play through physicality against older players . The best part is that we have so much talent, practices are going to be really intense and help player development. I always felt the Zion team couldn’t improve much because they were practicing against scrubs.

Caleb Foster decommitting in the near future.

He has one and done dreams. He expected a starting spot to be open just like Mgbako did. Now he's looking at being the fourth guard in minutes per game.

I really hope we can keep Foster and McCain. They are both five-stars who could be multi year guys, which is exactly what you want. Foster is a dog and McCain can shoot the hell out of it.

I hope Blakes/Schutt stay, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over one or both of them moving on.

Couldn’t agree more ioliva! I don’t understand how having your most experiences, battle-tested guard come back can be a problem. Freshmen are the proverbial box of chocolates, but we know what we have in Jeremy. As we saw once he got healthy this past year, and in his post-season run in 2022, he is a great college guard.

He can only be contacted if he ask out of his LOI.
NCAA rules also say current players can't be contacted until after they enter the transfer portal. And that NIL can not be used as an inducement to commit to a specific school.

Guess what? No one follows those rules.

You can bet money that both Foster and McCain are being contacted by other schools right now, just like Mgbako was.

This is amazing news! I don’t understand why people are scared of losing a freshman guard… so what ? You never know how freshman are going to pan out. We’re returning a solid guard , an actual veteran and someone who can play through physicality against older players . The best part is that we have so much talent, practices are going to be really intense and help player development. I always felt the Zion team couldn’t improve much because they were practicing against scrubs.
I agree as well. More PT for Blakes/Schutt may not be such a bad thing either

I would believe the ones that might leave first would be Blakes then Schutt
They already missed the transfer portal window. They'd have to sit out a year if they left now.

No, it's the 2 guards who have one-and-done dreams that you need to worry about. They committed bc they expected the one-and-done train to keep rolling along, opening up numerous starting spots at Duke, giving them the chance at immediate stardom and a spotlight to fuel their goal to be in the 2024 NBA draft. Now one of them is looking at being the fourth guard in minutes per game.

And honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world for you to lose Foster or McCain. You need that scholarship for a center. Right now Flip is being forced to be your starting center. And after the Tennessee game, anyone can see that he shouldn't be asked to play a whole season of banging with physical strong post players.

They already missed the transfer portal window. They'd have to sit out a year if they left now.

No, it's the 2 guards who have one-and-done dreams that you need to worry about. They committed bc they expected the one-and-done train to keep rolling along, opening up numerous starting spots at Duke, giving them the chance at immediate stardom and a spotlight to fuel their goal to be in the 2024 NBA draft. Now one of them is looking at being the fourth guard in minutes per game.

And honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world for you to lose Foster or McCain. You need that scholarship for a center. Right now Flip is being forced to be your starting center. And after the Tennessee game, anyone can see that he shouldn't be asked to play a whole season of banging with physical strong post players.
We still have 1 scholarship left with Roach returning, for a center.

We still have 1 scholarship left with Roach returning, for a center.
Ah OK.

But adding a starting center moves Flip back to PF and Mitchell back to SF. With the starting SF spot filled, neither McCain or Foster can hope to start as part of a 3 guard lineup. So any way you slice it, one of Foster or McCain is looking at extremely limited PT being the fourth guard in minutes played.

I expect opposing teams to start tampering immediately, and I bet Nolan Smith makes the first phone call.

This news really surprised me. I was sure we wouldn't see Roach back. But heck yeah!!!

I'll take a fourth year Roach over any incoming freshman. Playing next to Proctor for a second year, a full off season of training ahead, a healthy foot, and I think we have one of the best backcourts in the country. I would happily have them on the roster, but if the incoming guards are set OAD's who don't want to fight for playing time, then so be it. There are plenty of schools they could attend where they could get all the PT they want. It won't be Duke though.

With that said, it sure would be interesting if both came to Duke anyway!

Ah OK.

But adding a starting center moves Flip back to PF and Mitchell back to SF. With the starting SF spot filled, neither McCain or Foster can hope to start as part of a 3 guard lineup. So any way you slice it, one of Foster or McCain is looking at extremely limited PT being the fourth guard in minutes played.

I expect opposing teams to start tampering immediately, and I bet Nolan Smith makes the first phone call.
I’m not sold on Mitchell starting. He’s VERY limited offensively.

Maybe unc tries for one of them if that's true. Super weak roster over there in cheat land.

Mitchell is starting from day 1, he started all last season as a freshman and played well.
He did. But last years team isn’t even close to being as deep as this years team. Plus all the injuries, he pretty much had to start. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing if he does. He’s incredible defensively. I would just much rather see Foster start there.

First, Mitchell is the glue guy and Scheyer appreciates him, just like Lance Thomas from Jon's championship team.

Second, a tweak with Mitchell's shooting and get him a little stronger with the ball going to the basket and we have a 14 pt. scorer on our hands.

Mitchell will get 30 plus minutes each and every game.

It's really good news that Roach will be in a Duke uniform for his senior season. Been a while since Senior Day meant much. Not gonna lie, I'm concerned that Jon has his hands full. For success, some really good kids (ratings wise) will have to take lesser roles. And this is not factoring in a big from the portal. In my opinion, how well everyone does with that will determine how good Duke will be.

There is more pressure on Jon this season than last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT