ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings and Seeding

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
Duke ends the regular season #10 but behind 9-loss Michigan State. Good news is that it means we probably won't get grouped with them (unless the committee finds one of us the best 2 seed and the other the worst 3 seed).

I still think there is an outside shot of Duke claiming the last 1 seed (would have to run the table in dominating fashion). Kansas is the only 1 seed lock. On the other hand, FSU should get a 1 seed if they win the ACCT.

With the way this season has gone, Duke should not be afraid of any team. And they should be afraid of every team.

Reactions: hpnole and skysdad
Not sure the reasoning behind Creighton or MSU being ranked about us with more losses. We have had some bad losses but better wins...As usual the ranking folks have fallen in love with the B10...which will mean they get at least 7 into the NCAAT of which 6 will lose in the first weekend. Fool me once.....

Lunardi currently has Duke as the 3 in the Midwest which, outside of starting in Greensboro, is pretty much the least desirable scenario.

Duke ends the regular season #10 but behind 9-loss Michigan State. Good news is that it means we probably won't get grouped with them (unless the committee finds one of us the best 2 seed and the other the worst 3 seed).

I still think there is an outside shot of Duke claiming the last 1 seed (would have to run the table in dominating fashion). Kansas is the only 1 seed lock. On the other hand, FSU should get a 1 seed if they win the ACCT.

With the way this season has gone, Duke should not be afraid of any team. And they should be afraid of every team.
Ky, Was lucky to win this past weekend. I have never seen a team work so hard at losing than Fla. did. They had the game won. Then stupidity took control. At least I think it was Fla.

Lunardi currently has Duke as the 3 in the Midwest which, outside of starting in Greensboro, is pretty much the least desirable scenario.
The losses to State and Wake have really handcuffed us. I’ve felt we needed to beat the holes by double figures, and win the ACC Tournament with fair ease to move up to a 2 seed.

Ky, Was lucky to win this past weekend. I have never seen a team work so hard at losing than Fla. did. They had the game won. Then stupidity took control. At least I think it was Fla.
Don’t understand how they are a two seed according to Lunardi. That 17 pt comeback Tennessee made to come back and win must have bumped uk up a seed line.

One thing that I’ve heard a lot of people say about Lunardi over the years is that he’s usually pretty accurate when it comes to predicting the teams that will get into the NCAA Tournament but he’s not always accurate when it comes to predicting what seeds that teams will be.

I wish I could get paid to just talk out my ass, with no repercussions for being wrong...

Last edited:
I get it about the matchups and the venue arguments. Yes there are a couple teams I would rather not see in our region.

But...

End of the day, we have the potential to run the table. Avoid slow starts. Guard well against the spread and drive/high ball screens. Shot 35% from three. Make free throws like we have recently. Score in transition.

Do these things and we hang number 6. Easier said than done, but totally doable.

One thing that I’ve heard a lot of people say about Lunardi over the years is that he’s usually pretty accurate when it comes to predicting the teams that will get into the NCAA Tournament but he’s not always accurate when it comes to predicting what seeds that teams will be.
No disrespect to Lunardi but a monkey could predict the tournament field with 90%+ accuracy.

If only the AP voters had a head to head matchup to separate Duke and Michigan St...

I stopped trying to figure out the AP earlier in the year. The logic between some of their moves from week to week make no sense. But I’m also not worried about it.

I believe the tournament committee use many of the other metrics such as kenpom, net ranking, etc. where we score much better. I firmly believe we still control our own destiny. Maybe a 1, but more importantly location. Win and we will be scheduled for Greensboro to Cameron North.

Honestly I don't care what bracket or seed we are. We have to beat who's in front of us no matter what. As competitors, everyone on this team would rather play the best teams every game. It makes the championship that much sweeter. This might not be a popular take but I believe J-Rob will be our most impactful player moving forward. His level of maturity and his leadership will help us. His voice on defense will help tremendously. Like I said once before, he's everything we wanted Hurt to be but better defensively. I think Tre is about to have a Kemba-esque run through this tournament. I can just feel it. Something about those Jones boys in pressure situations.

Don’t understand how they are a two seed according to Lunardi. That 17 pt comeback Tennessee made to come back and win must have bumped uk up a seed line.
Kentucky has the 6th most quad 1 wins, with 9.
Well they are 9-2 in quad 1 games. Only 5 teams with more. Two are projected 1 seeds in Kansas (12 Q-1 wins) and Baylor (11). The other three teams are Butler, Seton Hall and Villanova with 10 Q-1 victories each. IIRC Lunardi recently had Nova as a 2/3 seed as well as Seton Hall. Although Seton Hall lost on Saturday as did Louisville that bumped UK back onto the 2 line.
If im not mistaken Duke has 3 wins vs. top 50 teams? Do you guys really believe with that record and your bad losses lately that Duke is actually in the running for a 1 seed? Take away the name and just look at Dukes overall resume. Not that impressive at all.Cmon most of you guys seem to know basketball better than this. I know the NET can be confusing but take of the blue tinted glasses and look at the overall resumes of others compared to Dukes. It pretty weak honestly. I believe Florida State or even UK would get a 1 seed before Duke would. To think your still in the running for a 1 seed just insane.

Well they are 9-2 in quad 1 games. Only 5 teams with more. Two are projected 1 seeds in Kansas (12 Q-1 wins) and Baylor (11). The other three teams are Butler, Seton Hall and Villanova with 10 Q-1 victories each. IIRC Lunardi recently had Nova as a 2/3 seed as well as Seton Hall. Although Seton Hall lost on Saturday as did Louisville that bumped UK back onto the 2 line.
If im not mistaken Duke has 3 wins vs. top 50 teams? Do you guys really believe with that record and your bad losses lately that Duke is actually in the running for a 1 seed? Take away the name and just look at Dukes overall resume. Not that impressive at all.Cmon most of you guys seem to know basketball better than this. I know the NET can be confusing but take of the blue tinted glasses and look at the overall resumes of others compared to Dukes. It pretty weak honestly. I believe Florida State or even UK would get a 1 seed before Duke would. To think your still in the running for a 1 seed just insane.

Your team is trash.

Complete and utter garbage...
A better argument to counter that could possibly be that UK is the ONLY team in top 35 of the NET rankings with a quad 4 loss, so they dont deserve a 1 or possibly even a 2 seed but I know know thats what you were trying to say!

A better argument to counter that could possibly be that UK is the ONLY team in top 35 of the NET rankings with a quad 4 loss, so they dont deserve a 1 or possibly even a 2 seed but I know know thats what you were trying to say!

Don’t be so hard on them, geez, they’re just kids!

He seems to usually get the one two and three seeds right though. After that he’s not that accurate.

Is there a single UK fan on these message boards with a lick of brain? Like any at all? If Duke wins the ACC tourney that means we most likely beat FSU and UL/UVA, along with a loss from Baylor in the Big12 tourney, we could absolutely get a 1 seed. Also, UK probably can’t get a 1 at this point because of that Evansville loss. Ya know, the team that went 0-18 in conference? Yeah that is still hurting your numbers something awful.

Isn’t Duke like 5th in Pomeroy and 6th in NET Ranking? And as someone mentioned the only hypothetical people are painting that puts Duke as a 1 or 2 seed would be winning the ACC tournament. Which would likely include 2 additional “quad 1” wins. Do all these rankings have Duke tainted glasses too? Maybe go back to RR where they have a 10 page weekly AP poll tracker and discuss why the world hates UK.

Reactions: Quavarius
What’s hagans up to these days?

Is there a single UK fan on these message boards with a lick of brain? Like any at all? If Duke wins the ACC tourney that means we most likely beat FSU and UL/UVA, along with a loss from Baylor in the Big12 tourney, we could absolutely get a 1 seed. Also, UK probably can’t get a 1 at this point because of that Evansville loss. Ya know, the team that went 0-18 in conference? Yeah that is still hurting your numbers something awful.
Its thats easy? Yeah sure it is. If Baylor were to lose again and UK won the SEC and Duke won the ACC UK would still be ahead of Duke in the seeding process. Duke is 5-3 in Q1 games. At best they will be what, 8-3 in Q1 games if they win out? Like everyone in front of Duke at this moment would need to lose their first games in tournament play for this wish of a 1 seed that you guys have. Not happening. Period. But Im stupid for thinking this when most others have Duke anywhere between a 2 and 5 seed at the moment. But its all hypotheticals at this point.

Its thats easy? Yeah sure it is. If Baylor were to lose again and UK won the SEC and Duke won the ACC UK would still be ahead of Duke in the seeding process. Duke is 5-3 in Q1 games. At best they will be what, 8-3 in Q1 games if they win out? Like everyone in front of Duke at this moment would need to lose their first games in tournament play for this wish of a 1 seed that you guys have. Not happening. Period. But Im stupid for thinking this when most others have Duke anywhere between a 2 and 5 seed at the moment. But its all hypotheticals at this point.

To put it mildly, it is extremely unlikely Duke gets a 1 seed. What I don't understand is why that's so important to you that you come to their message board to beat the drum - does the insecurity trickle down from coach to fanbase? It isn't a great look.

Anyone who has Duke lower than a 3 is a moron. If both Duke and UK won their respective tournaments that’d put us both at 28-6, Duke has the better metric numbers and UK has by far the worst loss of the two, if it comes down to Duke and UK for the last #1 I just don’t see you guys getting it ahead us. Well really I don’t see you guys being in contention for a 1 at all but we’ll see.

To put it mildly, it is extremely unlikely Duke gets a 1 seed. What I don't understand is why that's so important to you that you come to their message board to beat the drum - does the insecurity trickle down from coach to fanbase? It isn't a great look.
Duke fans should just migrate en masse to Kentucky. We already live rent free there so why not?

Also, just a quick little note, Duke currently sits at #6 in the NET Rankings while UK is all the way down at #21, Kenpom? Duke #5, UK #28, BPI? Duke #2, UK #25. So I sincerely doubt UK is gonna be fighting us for a seed. If you don’t win the SEC, you’ll probably be a 5. Maybe a 4, but your numbers suggest a little lower.

Where do all these UK trolls keep coming from? It's getting worse than unc trolls. It seems one of them pop up every day on a thread. I don't even understand why any fan from any other fan base would even want to go to another fan base. It seems to me like that just want to start something. This actually sounds like Cal pleading his case again. OFC

Where do all these UK trolls keep coming from? It's getting worse than unc trolls. It seems one of them pop up every day on a thread. I don't even understand why any fan from any other fan base would even want to go to another fan base. It seems to me like that just want to start something. This actually sounds like Cal pleading his case again. OFC
Yes, but they always come in peace.

Reactions: skysdad
If im not mistaken Duke has 3 wins vs. top 50 teams?

You are mistaken. Check again. Also, 0 quad 4 losses.

Why would uk be ahead of duke on any seed line when duke is literally almost 15 spots higher on every metric. When duke has two of the best wins in the country over Kansas and FSU. Our bad losses are no worse than your losses to Utah and Evansville . So tell us again how uk would be ahead of us.

Creighton's point guard and best player is most likely out for the year. Would be fantastic if were a 2 and they are a 3 or vice versa.

Reactions: dukiejay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT