ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
It's been a long time since 1994-95 but it's no secret that Micki K put her foot down and made him take off enough time to recover from his back surgery.

As we say in the south, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I have heard more than once Micki rules the roost....

OFC

I didn't mean in a good way.

Capel and Cragg leaving and suddenly whiffing on every recruit in sight leads me to believe the end of an era could be fast approaching.

Am not certain. But it's very strange. Lots of things making me go hmmmm.

Capel and Cragg leaving and suddenly whiffing on every recruit in sight leads me to believe the end of an era could be fast approaching.

Duke basketball will never be weak.....it won't be the end of an era .....it will be the start of a new one

My guess is that when Capel left, so did the entire relationship with our recruits, especially the top guys where he focused. We didn't have backups since we've been getting anyone we wanted, so now we're trying to create relationships on the fly. Really tough to do when other schools have been on those recruits for a year or more. Makes me think Capel leaving was a bit unexpected.

It's a shame we haven't done more with all the talent the past 2-3 years. I think most agree that Coach K isn't at the level he once was. Here's hoping we turn things around this year, probably our last great chance to win a title for the next few years.

Anthony Harris to commit to Virginia Tech Wednesday.

Antoine, James, Harris( no offer for unknown reasons), Boogie Ellis not likely at all, Hurt you can forget about it. Buzz is building very strong for W. Moore to NC State. Big trouble in Bull City.

Anyone ever think K is getting away from so many one and dones or high end recruits given the most recent attacks on Duke?

I’m just ready for this season to start I’ll worry about the next season after
Anthony Harris is not a one and done. It sucks to lose a four star guy to Virginia Tech!

Josiah James wasn't a OAD lock and could be 2nd year superstar...

It seems weird to me that Capel leaving would have *that* large of an influence. Not trying to insinuate that something is going on; just strange to miss out on these guys after having such an amazing recruiting run.

Guys, the reason for these struggles aren't rocket science.
We've got pretty good players who are highly likely to be on campus next season. The current HS class is pretty bad.
We are Duke fans first, and college basketball fans second. HS recruits, especially the top 50-100, are far more interested in NBA hoops. It isn't until late in their junior year, or even later, that they seriously look at college rosters. And a close look at Duke would scare some folks.
Are Brian Antoine or James or Moore better than AOC, Baker, and White? Who knows? Frankly, I think that a junior AOC is far and away the best player from that group. Baker might be pretty good after this upcoming year his own self. I think White is further behind, but will do a lot of the "little" things that will increase his value. So, of the 6 wings I listed, it is possible that we'll have the 2 best, and certainly 2 of the top 4, with our 2 already having year(s) of experience. Can't you all see why Antoine and James would be wary of that? They see themselves as OAD candidates, and at Duke there is a good chance they don't start. Further, I imagine that Duke (and Clemson) were wary of making James the starting PG, and UT wasn't.
As for bigs, seniors Bolden and Javin would loom large. Stewart and Hurt are no sure thing to start over either of our bigs. Stewart, as a frosh, is likely a rich man's version of Javin, being good at D and rebounding, but not that offensively gifted. But Javin will be a senior, and might be very effective. Certainly enough to give Stewart pause. Hurt is a gifted offensive player, no doubt, but that is less and less essential in bigs. He does have that face up ability, but he's likely to be a minus defender and rebounder initially. Again, he might not start at Duke. He could be a multi year player (he's so skinny), but there are programs where he could do that and start for 2 years. At the least, supposing that Stewart and/or Hurt come here and start, they'd be pushed for time.
Carey and Anthony would start, but they'd be worried about their roles.
If the road to PT looks clear in the spring, Carey would sign up.
As for Anthony, we are spending more time on him now than we were spending on Trevon Duval at the same point of their HS careers. If Tre Jones leaves (an occurrence that probably would only happen if we at least go to the FF), Duke would have a glaring hole at the PG slot, surrounded by talented wings and Fs. Such a season would probably open up one of the big man positions, attracting Carey.
While we aren't aggressive in pursuit of Anthony right now, he's a very pragmatic young man. If Duke is a great landing spot come May, he might come here. If Tre is still here, Anthony won't consider us, an it won't matter.
Lol @ this

Let me get this straight some of you don't think Stewart would start? He's not coming here anyways but let's talk hypothetically.

Yep because Goldwire was so highly thought of. That kid had 1 offer that’s it just one and you think that scares off a PG prospect?

O’Connell I can maybe see and maybe Baker scares off some prospects. Goldwire is a real stretch

Yep because Goldwire was so highly thought of. That kid had 1 offer that’s it just one and you think that scares off a PG prospect?

It doesn't scare off James, or Anthony, or Antoine (not a PG, but still a guard). I'm not sold on a frosh Harris being better than Goldwire. Or, at least, I can see how a potential recruit might be concerned.

Ok well whatever the case maybe he didn’t have a lot offers and won’t be scared off by a jr

Your gonna tell me a guy like Tre Jones is scared by Goldwire? Give me a break

Ok well whatever the case maybe he didn’t have a lot offers and won’t be scared off by a jr

No. Because Tre came here. And Goldwire was a soph. And Tre was a better PG than anyone in the current class outside of Anthony. But the kids still available aren't guaranteed to be better than Goldwire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT