ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
Yes, it was reported on a premium site on another company, not Rivals. It is actually becoming quite well known information that Stewart is slipping away just like Antoine. This is not 247 Sports, this is Rivals, where one gets information is irrelevant unless it is from the premium providers here, then it is an ethical issue for those who pay the extra money on this site.

The information can be seen in the changing picks on CB’s and also from free site in the NYC/NJ area.
At this point who are we likely to land? Seems like Josiah James and Wendell Moore are the only ones that seem definite, but then hell, I said that with Antoine as well. It appears that Duke will have to definitely pursue the grad transfer route hot and heavy next offseason.

Duke is looking at other options at guard now. People need to relax Duke will have a good class this year

Yes, it was reported on a premium site on another company, not Rivals. It is actually becoming quite well known information that Stewart is slipping away just like Antoine. This is not 247 Sports, this is Rivals, where one gets information is irrelevant unless it is from the premium providers here, then it is an ethical issue for those who pay the extra money on this site.

The information can be seen in the changing picks on CB’s and also from free site in the NYC/NJ area.
Ok first off, I know this is not 247, since I'm a premium member there as well. So where ones get information is relevant, if it comes from any paid site regardless of that sites name. Don't have to be from premium providers here. Unless I was briefed wrong by one of the mods on 247, no premium info is to be mentioned on any free sites. So when you stated what John Watson said, who is on TDD premium, then it makes a difference. But anywho, Nobody knows anything at this moment. All speculations.

Ok first off, I know this is not 247, since I'm a premium member there as well. So where ones get information is relevant, if it comes from any paid site regardless of that sites name. Don't have to be from premium providers here. Unless I was briefed wrong by one of the mods on 247, no premium info is to be mentioned on any free sites. So when you stated what John Watson said, who is on TDD premium, then it makes a difference. But anywho, Nobody knows anything at this moment. All speculations.

That is fine by me, I will not mention premium content from other sites. Everyone has to make a living and with the over saturated college basketball sites it can get pretty sensitive. I am fine with trying to protect their livelihood, or their part time $. But Ball Durham, ZagsNet, SB Nation and PrepHoops-Indiana all are covering the same subject and it is difficult to remind yourself to censor posts. ATP it is indeed speculation but there is more smoke than is normal for no fire. I think this class is a success or failure based upon Stewart because they stopped recruiting another target to concentrate on him, Carey has never been a Duke kid imo, and they did not offer Timme or McDaniels, or even try to recruit a kid like Tshiebwe who is a really athletic big nor the Canadian Bediako, who is as good as the departing Vrankovic. Sort of confusing unless they are sure to close on their targets

Reactions: Dukebonedoc
Duke is looking at other options at guard now. People need to relax Duke will have a good class this year

I don't want good... I want the best. And that'll be hard to do if we lose Antoine and Stewart.

But I could live with it if we got Anthony, Carey Jr., Hurt, Moore and James.

Reactions: Dukebonedoc
Folks, we have to be honest about our recruiting situation. The past few years weren't great from a recruiting standpoint. Last year the hoops world saw Jayson Tatum take the NBA by storm. Though he finished third in the ROY voting, there was little doubt which of the three players most opposing fans would rather have. In other words, Tatum is a rising star on a storied and high profile and rising team. He's starting to scoop up endorsement deals. Essentially, he's what every single top tier hoops fan wishes to emulate. Unfortunately, it comes after a season at Duke where he played out of position and wasn't the number 1 option, as he should have been. He was the third option. And that was a huge, glaring mistake by K. Huge. I understand why K used that strategy initially, if I don't agree. But K's failure to make JT the overwhelming number 1 option by late Jan was just awful. Further, K played JT out of position. Recruits don't like to see that.
Last year, K brought in a disruptive player (tactically, not from a personality POV) in Bags very late in the process. It changed the style of hoops we played, and not for the better. Compounding that, K installed a defense whose only purpose was to hide the deficiencies of that player, coupled with the defensive failings of another player, Senior Allen. So we played a style of D that negated the strengths of the other frosh. Further, the O wasn't designed to highlight the entire team, but rather to highlight Bags and Allen.
We can whine and moan about Carter's Mom or Duval, but we cannot state definitively that they were wrong. Further, their arguments will land with a lot of recruits.
Next, there are a lot of unknowns about the 2019-2020 season. Tre could be back. It looks more and more like Bolden and Javin will be at Duke to possibly play big minutes. AOC might be one of the best wings in the nation, and Jack White and Baker will probably be capable of extended high level minutes.
There is possibly a lot of high level comp awaiting recruits at Duke. I can see why some might be wary. Nicco Manion is a great player. But I can't say he be better than Soph Tre Jones. James, who seems to love Duke, would be a serious impediment as well (his trajectory is straight up). Carey would see two seniors on the roster. Carey starts, but he has much less leeway that maybe he thought he'd see. Ditto Stewart and possibly Hurt (though I like our position with him more and more). Antoine, who we thought loved us, would have to wonder about a junior AOC at SG, Senior White at SF, with Baker probably getting some MPG there as well.
So I can see why our recruiting is shakey. The last two years have featured some decisions that might make recruits wary. Further, next year's roster is surprisingly experienced AND talented. Really, only 1 position looks at all unsettled, and that is on the wing. Cole Anthony and Carey are the only two guys who would start no matter what. James is nearly there, but that is because he can play any position from PG to SF.
Now for the good stuff.
Players will fall back in love with Duke sometime in late November. We are going to be exciting. RJ and Zion are going to play well and dominate high lights. By Jan there will be open speculation about the size of the endorsement deals they are going to sign. We are likely to play the way recruits want to play while dominating media attention. Recruits will want a part of that. Watching Tatum, who loves Duke, and Kyrie, have fun in Boston will be great. Ingram will be a great running mate with Bron, and don't think media types won't talk about how much they loved the same coach they've shared, aka Coach K.
So, sure, it is a little dark right now. But the sun is about to come back out once the games kick off. Some kids that drifted away will start sniffing around again. If they don't grovel accordingly, and publicly, I hope K moves on.

Folks, we have to be honest about our recruiting situation. The past few years weren't great from a recruiting standpoint. Last year the hoops world saw Jayson Tatum take the NBA by storm. Though he finished third in the ROY voting, there was little doubt which of the three players most opposing fans would rather have. In other words, Tatum is a rising star on a storied and high profile and rising team. He's starting to scoop up endorsement deals. Essentially, he's what every single top tier hoops fan wishes to emulate. Unfortunately, it comes after a season at Duke where he played out of position and wasn't the number 1 option, as he should have been. He was the third option. And that was a huge, glaring mistake by K. Huge. I understand why K used that strategy initially, if I don't agree. But K's failure to make JT the overwhelming number 1 option by late Jan was just awful. Further, K played JT out of position. Recruits don't like to see that.
Last year, K brought in a disruptive player (tactically, not from a personality POV) in Bags very late in the process. It changed the style of hoops we played, and not for the better. Compounding that, K installed a defense whose only purpose was to hide the deficiencies of that player, coupled with the defensive failings of another player, Senior Allen. So we played a style of D that negated the strengths of the other frosh. Further, the O wasn't designed to highlight the entire team, but rather to highlight Bags and Allen.
We can whine and moan about Carter's Mom or Duval, but we cannot state definitively that they were wrong. Further, their arguments will land with a lot of recruits.
Next, there are a lot of unknowns about the 2019-2020 season. Tre could be back. It looks more and more like Bolden and Javin will be at Duke to possibly play big minutes. AOC might be one of the best wings in the nation, and Jack White and Baker will probably be capable of extended high level minutes.
There is possibly a lot of high level comp awaiting recruits at Duke. I can see why some might be wary. Nicco Manion is a great player. But I can't say he be better than Soph Tre Jones. James, who seems to love Duke, would be a serious impediment as well (his trajectory is straight up). Carey would see two seniors on the roster. Carey starts, but he has much less leeway that maybe he thought he'd see. Ditto Stewart and possibly Hurt (though I like our position with him more and more). Antoine, who we thought loved us, would have to wonder about a junior AOC at SG, Senior White at SF, with Baker probably getting some MPG there as well.
So I can see why our recruiting is shakey. The last two years have featured some decisions that might make recruits wary. Further, next year's roster is surprisingly experienced AND talented. Really, only 1 position looks at all unsettled, and that is on the wing. Cole Anthony and Carey are the only two guys who would start no matter what. James is nearly there, but that is because he can play any position from PG to SF.
Now for the good stuff.
Players will fall back in love with Duke sometime in late November. We are going to be exciting. RJ and Zion are going to play well and dominate high lights. By Jan there will be open speculation about the size of the endorsement deals they are going to sign. We are likely to play the way recruits want to play while dominating media attention. Recruits will want a part of that. Watching Tatum, who loves Duke, and Kyrie, have fun in Boston will be great. Ingram will be a great running mate with Bron, and don't think media types won't talk about how much they loved the same coach they've shared, aka Coach K.
So, sure, it is a little dark right now. But the sun is about to come back out once the games kick off. Some kids that drifted away will start sniffing around again. If they don't grovel accordingly, and publicly, I hope K moves on.
You make some good points, and I definitely agree that the '17 team with Tatum was not a great K coaching year, everything should have ran through Tatum.
But our recruiting is gonna be fine. I would be willing to bet we still end up with a top 5 class (probably top 3) but it won't be as loaded as our last couple classes.
Look at UK and this last class, they thought they were in the mix for Cam RJ and Zion, and struck out. A couple months passed by and they filled in all their holes pretty nicely and are gonna be good again this year.

It's September, no need to panic yet. We seem to ALWAYS land a big recruit in early November right when the season starts, and we should definitely land some guys in the late signing period (will be different considering we got zero this past late signing period.)
Worse comes to worse, we have a veteran team next year surrounded by only 1 or 2 stud freshman and maybe bring in a grad transfer. I still think we land 3 or 4 studs, but either way, we are Duke and will be fine.

You make some good points, and I definitely agree that the '17 team with Tatum was not a great K coaching year, everything should have ran through Tatum.
But our recruiting is gonna be fine. I would be willing to bet we still end up with a top 5 class (probably top 3) but it won't be as loaded as our last couple classes.
Look at UK and this last class, they thought they were in the mix for Cam RJ and Zion, and struck out. A couple months passed by and they filled in all their holes pretty nicely and are gonna be good again this year.

It's September, no need to panic yet. We seem to ALWAYS land a big recruit in early November right when the season starts, and we should definitely land some guys in the late signing period (will be different considering we got zero this past late signing period.)
Worse comes to worse, we have a veteran team next year surrounded by only 1 or 2 stud freshman and maybe bring in a grad transfer. I still think we land 3 or 4 studs, but either way, we are Duke and will be fine.

That is my point. The last few paragraphs lay it out. We'll be exciting this year, and when Tre leaves, and possibly a big, more obvious PT will open up.
Even if it doesn't. James, Hurt, and Moore would be bonkers good with the team we'll have next year.
Seriously, imagine it. James, AOC, and Moore on the perimeter, and Jav/Bolden alongside Hurt up front. That is straight up nasty right there.

I have no problem having a year where we're not stacked with OADs. If we land 3-4 guys in the 15-50 range, I'll be happy. Cole Anthony would be nice though...

I have no problem having a year where we're not stacked with OADs. If we land 3-4 guys in the 15-50 range, I'll be happy. Cole Anthony would be nice though...

If Cole Anthony commits, he plays over anybody. Tre would move to the bench (not really, they'd both start and log heavy minutes).
The "problem" with Cole is that no one knows what he's going to do, and anyone that says different is lying. He's going to pick the best spot for himself come next May (late may). And it could be anywhere. I have no idea what criteria he'll evaluate teams with. No one does. So it is hard to wait on him. We can't turn away or stall James on the off chance we get Anthony.
Further, I could see him dodging college. I wouldn't be shocked to see him graduate from HS in December, then spend 5 months working out at a prep center, and entering the 2019 draft having never spent a second on a college campus. He's likely the best PG prospect since DRose. And the current crop of college Frosh is thin at PG. He's a top 5 pick having never played vs college comp.

No idea what the next class will look like, but no matter what the roster looks like, no team at Duke, I mean no team, should run the offense through one guy. That guy will have good stats, but the team won't be as good.

It's as close to a fact as can be stated. Look at all five of Duke's titles. No one guy had the offense run through them. This team's ability to make a deep run will be determined by how well they all play together. When you look to run the offense through one guy, the other guys will get caught standing around.

Last edited:
No idea what the next class will look like, but no matter what the roster looks like, no team at Duke, I mean no team, should run the offense through one guy. That guy will have good stats, but the team won't be as good.

It's as close to a fact as can be stated. Look at all five of Duke's titles. No one guy had the offense run through them. This team's ability to make a deep run will be determined by how well they all play together. When you look to run the offense through one guy, the other guys will get caught standing around.

Agreed. But there is always a tiered system. 2 years ago, Matt Jones and Amile shouldn't have been taking as many shots as Tatum and Luke.
No team ever runs an O through 1 guy. Or even 2 guys. But some players should be featured more prominently than other players. Some will force the issue merely by being better players, getting better looks, and putting themselves in better positions to succeed on any given play.
But the coaching staff has a say in that by deciding what type of offense and defense the team will use, who will play what position, and so on. And if the staff chooses poorly it hurts the team that year, and makes future players less eager to join up.

hoping for stewart, hurt, moore, james, and a surprise or 2

What we need to hope for this year are late decisions. As I've said in earlier posts, there are events and circumstances that have come together to hurt Duke's recruiting efforts during this cycle.
I've got a feeling that the upcoming season could remedy a lot of that. I think Duke can and will win the ACC, and possibly look "good" while doing it. That doesn't just mean wining big and often, but winning in an attractive manner. A manner in which possible recruits would want to emulate/be associated with come next season.
But that won't be apparent until Jan/Feb. If some of our targets (assuming they don't commit to Duke early) wait, Duke might be very appealing. Uncommitted prospects might be very enamored of Duke by the late signing period.
A successful season will probably free up positions at PG and in the post. That will help with Stewart or Carey or Hurt. PG opening up will help with Anthony (James may see himself as a PG, but he's a wing at this point).

What we need to hope for this year are late decisions. As I've said in earlier posts, there are events and circumstances that have come together to hurt Duke's recruiting efforts during this cycle.
I've got a feeling that the upcoming season could remedy a lot of that. I think Duke can and will win the ACC, and possibly look "good" while doing it. That doesn't just mean wining big and often, but winning in an attractive manner. A manner in which possible recruits would want to emulate/be associated with come next season.
But that won't be apparent until Jan/Feb. If some of our targets (assuming they don't commit to Duke early) wait, Duke might be very appealing. Uncommitted prospects might be very enamored of Duke by the late signing period.
A successful season will probably free up positions at PG and in the post. That will help with Stewart or Carey or Hurt. PG opening up will help with Anthony (James may see himself as a PG, but he's a wing at this point).

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Tre Jones likely to stay another year?

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Tre Jones likely to stay another year?

Great unknown. If Duke has a good year, not necessarily a title year, but a good year with a deep run in March, maybe not. Probably not. If he's rated as a mid first round pick, he's likely to go, as he probably can't move up that much. He simply lacks the size and otherworldly athleticism to ever be a top 10-15 pick. So if he's in the late teens, or even mid 20s, there is very little reason to come back. He'd only move up marginally, if at all, with the added risk of injury or even falling. So, why not go.
I suspect that Tre will be used against Duke on the recruiting trail, as a deterrent to other PGs fearful of being pushed to the bench if he's at Duke. Even Cole Anthony, a superior player, wouldn't like Duke if Tre were still here. Cole is better off the ball than Tre, so Tre would be the nominal ball handler if both were on the same team. Nico Mannion doesn't start, or even play 15 mpg, if he comes here while Tre is still on the court.
This was a real negative in Tre missing the Canada trip. If he'd shown well up north, there'd be more expectation vis a vis him leaving.
That said, excluding Cole Anthony (a player I increasingly believe might never play college ball), I'd rather have sophomore Tre over any guard, PG or SG, in the country next year. So I'd be OK either way.

Great unknown. If Duke has a good year, not necessarily a title year, but a good year with a deep run in March, maybe not. Probably not. If he's rated as a mid first round pick, he's likely to go, as he probably can't move up that much. He simply lacks the size and otherworldly athleticism to ever be a top 10-15 pick. So if he's in the late teens, or even mid 20s, there is very little reason to come back. He'd only move up marginally, if at all, with the added risk of injury or even falling. So, why not go.
I suspect that Tre will be used against Duke on the recruiting trail, as a deterrent to other PGs fearful of being pushed to the bench if he's at Duke. Even Cole Anthony, a superior player, wouldn't like Duke if Tre were still here. Cole is better off the ball than Tre, so Tre would be the nominal ball handler if both were on the same team. Nico Mannion doesn't start, or even play 15 mpg, if he comes here while Tre is still on the court.
This was a real negative in Tre missing the Canada trip. If he'd shown well up north, there'd be more expectation vis a vis him leaving.
That said, excluding Cole Anthony (a player I increasingly believe might never play college ball), I'd rather have sophomore Tre over any guard, PG or SG, in the country next year. So I'd be OK either way.

Cole Anthony will definitely be playing college ball next year.

He's not trying to graduate in October. Whoever started that rumor and put it on Reddit is a complete dumbass.

Cole Anthony will definitely be playing college ball next year.

He's not trying to graduate in October. Whoever started that rumor and put it on Reddit is a complete dumbass.

Even if it isn't the 2019 draft, I could see him skipping college somehow. Further, his own class is loaded with quality PGs. Not in his league, but still. The current class is essentially devoid of PGs. There might not be a top 10 worthy PG in the class, and PG is increasingly the most important position on the court. The scarcity of talent at his position would raise his position in the current draft.
And it isn't just Reddit. The lack of info out of this camp is incredibly. The silence is deafening. He has the demeanor of a player who has no desire to play in college, and that sentiment is largely echoed by his core group of supporters/advisors. If he can figure out a way to bypass college, I think he will.
And the Reddit thing thought he'd graduate in Oct, which was ridiculous. But tons of people graduate in Dec so they can join a college FB team in Jan. Why not do that? If Anthony graduated in Dec, he'd be eligible for the July Draft. He wouldn't play college ball, but he'd spend the winter working out at one of the draft prep academies. He'd be a top 5 pick. He's got the size and athleticism, plus the shooting ability. Some awful team in the top 5, that needed a PG, would not be able to pass up the top PG prospect since DRose (a MVP player before the injuries).
There are other top players who clearly have their eyes on the pros, but are also looking forward to a year of college and college ball. For a variety of reasons. Anthony is treating college like he's getting tetanus shots.

Yea if u look at the thread it says to PREDICT the 2019 class. At the time everything I had read and heard from every single recruiting guru out there led me to make a prediction as such. The recruiting gurus are the foolish ones and you are pretty stupid for coming over here and singling out the one post I made back on Aug 12.

Yea if u look at the thread it says to PREDICT the 2019 class. At the time everything I had read and heard from every single recruiting guru out there led me to make a prediction as such. The recruiting gurus are the foolish ones and you are pretty stupid for coming over here and singling out the one post I made back on Aug 12.
He’s probably still upset Zion didn’t choose his school....

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball

You notice she didn't have a prediction on what she thought the class would be......hmmmm?

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I made my prediction off the Crystal Ball and think - like my March bracket - I have very few picks still in play.

With recent picks from influential analysts going against Duke on Isaiah Stewart, it's entirely possible we won't have one recruit ranked in the top 20 next year. I'm very curious what's driving this huge shift from the past few years. Capel? Impact of some recent complaints from Duke players / their families who weren't happy? Something significant because we'll have a ton of playing time, so these guys are basically saying they don't want to start for Duke next year.

Whatever. Plays a small role in my overall happiness. But reinforcing my focus on this year's team. If we win another title, that's 2 in 5 years and I'll cut the staff / new staff a break.

I made my prediction off the Crystal Ball and think - like my March bracket - I have very few picks still in play.

With recent picks from influential analysts going against Duke on Isaiah Stewart, it's entirely possible we won't have one recruit ranked in the top 20 next year. I'm very curious what's driving this huge shift from the past few years. Capel? Impact of some recent complaints from Duke players / their families who weren't happy? Something significant because we'll have a ton of playing time, so these guys are basically saying they don't want to start for Duke next year.

Whatever. Plays a small role in my overall happiness. But reinforcing my focus on this year's team. If we win another title, that's 2 in 5 years and I'll cut the staff / new staff a break.

There are only two things that could change our recruiting success in such a major way:

1) Cole Anthony was referring to K being the coach that he was waiting till May for to see if they’re gone.

2) Although we knew Capel was a great recruiter, it was always assumed that we would march on with the current staff plus Carrawell. That assumption looks to be way off, as it looks as though the most important piece of the team that left after the season wasn’t Bagley or Carter but was Capel.

Everyone here is forgetting that there are a lot of factors unlike the past. Players are gonna go were they feel is best for them and that information will also come from pro agents.

It’s isn’t just if Tre returns. Their is Alex at Sg who will return along with Javin and White.

If any recruiting negative hurts Duke it’s when players see who is still on the roster and how K uses the bench. To me this is the greatest negative when it comes to adding players at the same position that are still on the roster.

Tre can’t move to sg and he’s to small for a combo so how do you sell that to a top tier pg with also Goldwire still on the roster.

Duke will be fine worrying this early about the 2019 recruiting class is pointless I’m more worried about how this class plays

Reactions: skysdad
I was kind of expecting news of a commitment by now.
Very few players commit on the spot anymore. Publicly. At least, not in the top 50 or so players. Even if they are in love the program, they usually want to go home and think about it some, to make sure.
Further, why miss out on the recruiting process? Take those visits.

Wasn’t necessarily expecting a commitment by now but thought there would at least be some info about Moore’s visit. Silence is a little deafening.
I agree. After RJ’s visit, we heard a day later how his visit was unbelievable. Moore is really the recruit we absolutely can’t lose. The fact I haven’t heard or read anything makes me wonder. Secondly, Moore’s commitment to Duke, at least in my opinion would definitely mean Coach K will be back next season, which might put Duke back in the drivers seat for the recruits that seemingly are trending away from Duke.

This is a weak class. If you had to pick a class to not get a bunch of kids from, this would be that class. Carey is a beast (though I have real questions about his defense), Cole Anthony is a stud (whose style of play will be great in the NBA, but might not make his teammates better in college), and Wiseman is a guy whose upside is unbelievable, but he's further from realizing that potential than many other top 10-15 players in the class (aka a few players are likely to be better in their 1 year in college than Wiseman, who will likely be a much better pro 3-5 years from now).
Stewart is a nice player, but is limited offensively right now. Hurt is a skilled athlete. A very skinny skilled athlete, whose D is iffy. James is a perimeter player that can't make perimeter shots, plus he wants to be the main PG despite lacking some of the skills necessary to excel in that role in college (and likely the NBA). Brian Antoine is a guy that hasn't progressed much since last year. Wendell Moore is listed at 6-4 as a SF, and there is no question that he's a SF and not a SG, despite being 2-3 inches shorter than is optimal for the position. Maybe he's another Winslow, but maybe not.
Point being, outside of Carey, Anthony, and Stewart (in a non traditional way), there may not be any difference makers in this class. Some of these kids may be flat out worried about players Duke is likely to have on its roster. Of the guys we are recruiting, only Cole Anthony and Carey are guaranteed to start and play big minutes. Stewart would likely start, but that is not guaranteed. Every other player in the class is not guaranteed to be better than a kid currently on the roster. At a minimum, we'll have a core of AOC, Baker, White, and Javin. There are a lot of schools that would kill to have that as a core. It lacks some dynamic scoring, and Goldwire can't be a PG on a top 15 team. I'm less and less sold on Bolden as a viable C. But there are very few players out there that can definitely move one of our core guys to the bench. Carey or Stewart at C (and it is looking very likely will get 1 of them). Cole would be a great option at PG, but Tre looms. If Tre returned, Cole would start, but at SG, as he'd be better off the ball than would Tre, who is a superior team runner.
WRT PG, I feel that a lot will depend on Tre. If he returns, we'll have a top notch top 4-5, with a possible frosh C rounding out one of the best starting 5s in the nation. If Tre leaves, either Anthony will join up, or a top notch grad transfer, or a reclassified player eager to get a jump start on college in an ideal situation.
I'm beginning to think this will be a smallish class, and I'm beginning to be pretty happy about that.

If we continue to miss, maybe Tre, Zion, RJ, and Cam will feel sorry for us and all stay next year? No?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT