ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
Supposedly, Duke was trying to get Josiah to flip from his UT commitment as of last weekend. Maybe why Anthony Harris got no love during his OV last weekend. Duke was/is still pushing for James.

Hopefully if Moore chooses Duke he will stay a few years. 20-21 looks to be incredibly thin due to the limited players that will be coming back. Bolden, White, Jav , Robinson all will be gone as well as any OAD that might sign on.
AOC, Goldwire, Baker is all that will be left at that point most likely. No bigs at all.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Hopefully if Moore chooses Duke he will stay a few years.
He has said that he wants to be one and done. Personally, I think he is a multi year player, but usually when players they want to be one and done, they usually leave for the NBA no matter what.

Hopefully if Moore chooses Duke he will stay a few years. 20-21 looks to be incredibly thin due to the limited players that will be coming back. Bolden, White, Jav , Robinson all will be gone as well as any OAD that might sign on.
AOC, Goldwire, Baker is all that will be left at that point most likely. No bigs at all.

Also not a lot of great bigs in the 2020 class. And the 21 class maybe be able to go straight to the nba. Fully expect K to have some grad transfers for the 2021 season

Carey is going to decide in the fall. Wants to potentially team up with Wiseman or Stewart.

He has said that he wants to be one and done. Personally, I think he is a multi year player, but usually when players they want to be one and done, they usually leave for the NBA no matter what.
While he looks good, I don't think he looks good enough to be OAD. It's hard for a guy his size to go after just 1 year unless they dazzle.

Then again, he has 2 years to develop the dazzle. So it's possible.

While he looks good, I don't think he looks good enough to be OAD. It's hard for a guy his size to go after just 1 year unless they dazzle.

Then again, he has 2 years to develop the dazzle. So it's possible.

Very true. But..... Shooting. If he works on that three point shot, he's at the size and athleticism that he could make it.

Unless he breaks out big time next season, I just don't see how a kid rated in the low 20s in his class can be considered OAD. There's a lot of areas he needs to improve still.

Unless he breaks out big time next season, I just don't see how a kid rated in the low 20s in his class can be considered OAD. There's a lot of areas he needs to improve still.

While I personally agree with this thinking, I am beginning to suspect that we need to adjust our reasoning wrt early entry decisions. Previously, I think most of us agreed that it would be foolish to go pro without a strong likelihood of being first round. After all, the first round had guaranteed contracts. But I think a lot of players are seemingly fine with second round picks now. Most of them end up with decent two way deals now, and the opportunity to earn their way onto a League roster within two years. Many kids seem eager to seize that opportunity. Fact is, highly ranked recruits, unless they are real busts in college, have enough cache with league scouts to merit every opportunity to succeed. A first round guarantee is no longer necessary for declaring any more. Not every kid will roll the dice in that situation, but many will.

10 years ago it was pretty insane to leave unless you had a guarantee that you would be picked in the 1st round. Hence why the 2nd round of the NBA draft use to strictly consist of foreign players and juniors/seniors.

Obviously those times are gone, we as Duke fans should be able to relate. See Frank Jackson, Gary Trent JR, and Trevon Duval. Teams are now handing out guaranteed contracts to 2nd rounders. (It makes sense financially because of how cheap a 2nd rounders guaranteed contract can be).
And with the G-League continuing to grow, I'm assuming things will continute to go in this direction. In today's times, I wouldn't rule out any guy ranked in the top 50 "testing the waters" after his freshman season, and even leaving without any guarantee of being drafted.

Duke is still trying to get Stewart to visit but he has said he may not take anymore visits. He has been to Duke on unofficial visits. It seems he is trending away, perhaps Michigan State, who knows? I thought he might want Kentucky but he may wish to see who stays/goes.

Wendall Moore could break the ice tonight, most feel he is strong with Duke. That will help with trying to get Stewart as they reportedly talk fairly often. Stewart is a very difficult kid to predict right now.

Just did a Quinones deep-dive and he's got a lot of Jordan Tucker in his game. Great shooter, 4 year guy, probably wouldn't be ready to contribute his 1st year. Needs to get a lot stronger. I'd prefer him over Girard though.

I think Vernon Carey JR is ours, been saying that for a year, why stop now?? Isaiah Stewart I still think we have a lot of ground to make up.
Cole we won't know till probably after our season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LH24ND
Any idea which one they still have a shot at will announce?
Cole Anthony is definitely announcing in the spring time after the season ends. I'd take it like this....we win the national title, Tre Jones goes pro, we land Cole Anthony. We come up short, Tre Jones comes back, Cole goes elsewhere.

Vernon Carey JR is an unknown, but there is buzz of an announcement in the fall.
Isaiah Stewart is probably a spring announcement.

Duke is recruiting/offered
1. Carey OV Oct 19th...deciding in nov
2. Hurt....spring decision....
3. Stewart...who knows..
4. Ellis....OV. Oct 28th...

Duke isn't recruiting Cole or Lester at this time.

Cole Anthony is definitely announcing in the spring time after the season ends. I'd take it like this....we win the national title, Tre Jones goes pro, we land Cole Anthony. We come up short, Tre Jones comes back, Cole goes elsewhere.

Vernon Carey JR is an unknown, but there is buzz of an announcement in the fall.
Isaiah Stewart is probably a spring announcement.

Yup. If you read Cole's interview on Rivals, I love what he said about the UNC visit. Basically, that he loved the visit, and loved the team, and loved Bacot. But, that if UNC isn't right for him come May, he'll go elsewhere. He's got the perfect approach to recruiting. He, and the people around him (he uses the pronoun "WE" when discussing his process) realize that for Cole Anthony, college isn't college. It isn't even a tryout. It is an unpaid internship. He wants to pick the best situation for himself. Friends, the campus, the social scene, none of that stuff matters to him. National exposure, roster composition, and coaching staff. That is all he cares about.
I wouldn't be shocked for him to end up at a school that he hasn't previously mentioned. I'm not saying he will, in fact, I doubt that happens. But that wouldn't shock me.
Guys, we have recruited him far more, and are in far closer and more frequent contact with him, than we were with Trevon Duval at this same point in their respective HS careers. TD chose Duke because he felt Duke was the right place for him at the time. If Duke is a great place for Cole to land, he'll be at Duke.
I'll put it this way, Coby White and Cole Anthony are mutually exclusive. If Coby is back, Cole won't go to UNC. If he's gone, Cole still might not go to UNC (they've got some other PGs on the roster). But, he might, and them's the breaks. Point being, we aren't out of his recruitment, no matter how quiet we seem to be at this point in time.
As for Stewart, or Carey, we'll get one. I think both guys have Duke and MSU as their top 2, in some order. We'll get one, and I don't much care which one. Both are really good, and will fit in well with whatever players we have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT