ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

Has it been announced if Duke is looking into the transfer portal, or is it just message board talk?
It’s also kind of hard to know who’s available really, isn’t it? The season just ended.
No there were reportedly 100 players in the portal before the NCAA tourney started . Yes Duke is looking at guys in the portal to help out .
I think the number jumped even higher during the tourney

Arkansas landed twin transfers from Rhode Island. On espn radio they were saying Arkansas is now a major player because of all the Walmart money there.
The big time transfer that they landed is Trevon Brazile. Kid will be a stud in that Arkansas system.

Reactions: christophero
The big time transfer that they landed is Trevon Brazile. Kid will be a stud in that Arkansas system.
Do they now take over the number one class? Or do transfers not count ?

Transfers generally don’t count toward recruiting class. I have seen a couple sites start using a cumulative addition rating for football at least that counts transfers and recruits, but it’s separate from recruiting rankings.

You’ve got some recruiting sites like 247 that will eventually do a ranking to show who had the best transfer portal class. Think Texas Tech ending having the top class of transfers last year per 247.

Reactions: sheyduke
Trevor and Wendell are both late first round in USA Today's latest mock draft. They are not coming back. We need to hit the portal hard.

Trevor and Wendell are both late first round in USA Today's latest mock draft. They are not coming back. We need to hit the portal hard.
I think there are plenty of players in the portal lol after looking it’s which one Scheyer thinks makes the best fit

I think there are plenty of players in the portal lol after looking it’s which one Scheyer thinks makes the best fit
I would be very curious if Jon hits the portal or wants a reclass from Proctor. I think we all want a guy who can shoot the 3 consistently. Wish there was a Seth Curry out there.

I can't imagine Wendell staying. He showed great improvement between his second and third years. I have to think his stock is as high as it's going to be.

Trevor... I don't know. I'm still seeing his name a lot at the end of the first round or beginning of second, but some sites don't include him in their projections at all. I feel like he could take a big step up in a second year with Duke and might improve to a late lottery selection if things go well. So at least there's an argument to be made for him staying, but I still don't expect it to happen.

Would be very cool for Duke to get five guys selected in the first round.

unfortunately all those kids are probably being fed a line of BS from their representatives about where they will get drafted and how much they will get paid....so reality is being distorted by rosy projections i bet.....that means they will all leave, and unfortunately not all will achieve the future they are being led to believe they have in professional basketball....just one cynics opinion :)

I still am calling it....Moore back for his senior year! Get's his Duke degree, has a solid season as a Duke captain and gets drafted middle of the first round in 2023.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any idea what sort of NIL money a guy like Moore could make next year? I genuinely have no idea. Is $10K? $100K? $500K???

I still am calling it....Moore back for his senior year! Get's his Duke degree, has a solid season as a Duke captain and gets drafted middle of the first round in 2023.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any idea what sort of NIL money a guy like Moore could make next year? I genuinely have no idea. Is $10K? $100K? $500K???
I believe it's probably low six figures for someone like Moore. I hope I'm wrong and it's more than that, but even low six figures is such an improvement over where things stood before the NIL rule. I think for someone like Zion it would have definitely been seven figures.

Edit: Here's a recent article that, among other things, notes that the UCLA guard Johnny Juzang has deals totaling mid six figures. So, being at Duke and all, maybe Wendell has similar earning potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
I think NIL might lure some second round guys back. But not first round. I can't even remember the last first round guy who came back. Grayson was not draft able after his junior year disaster. Mark would have been second round.

I think NIL might lure some second round guys back. But not first round. I can't even remember the last first round guy who came back. Grayson was not draft able after his junior year disaster. Mark would have been second round.
Grayson was living his dream here.. he wasn’t ever leaving early

Will Wendell still leave after getting the Julius Erving Award for best small forward? I doubt it. Prove us wrong Wendell lol...Congrats!!!

Just looked it up to see who were the finalists and came up with this... Copy and pasted from the article...

The five finalists for the 2022 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award are Hyunjung Lee (Davidson), Wendell Moore (Duke), Ron Harper Jr. (Rutgers), Julian Champagnie (St. John’s) and Jaime Jaquez Jr. (UCLA).

Reactions: geddoughton23

I love your optimism, but you need to go ahead and prepare yourself. Wendell and Trevor are gone.

Wendell Moore won the Julius Erving award because the candidates were pretty weak.

If any of the Jerry West finalists are slotted in as small forwards, he probably doesn't win it.

Jerry West Finalists
Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona (2nd Team All-American)
Jaden Ivey, Purdue (2nd Team All-American)
Johnny Davis, Wisconsin (1st Team All-American)
Ochai Agbaji, Kansas (1st Team All-American)
Johnny Juzang, UCLA (HM All-American)

Jake Kyman of UCLA has entered the portal. 6-7 215 junior with a nice shot. Played well in stretches when UCLA players were injured but otherwise didn't play much. I always liked him but UCLA was crazy deep on the wing. Would be a good shooter off the bench, but I imagine he will transfer down for more PT. Averaged 4ppg and shot 42 percent from the field, 38 from 3. Kind of a taller O'Connell. Everyone on UCLA has eligibility left; but I think Juzang and maybe Jaquez leave. They do have two MacDonald's AA coming in and a 4 star PG, so they could have more transfers.

Last edited:
What about Courtney Ramey from Texas? He a grad transfer I’d assume but sounds like a perfect bench contributor.

Just saw this list from CBS Sports. Have we looked at Shannon from Texas Tech? He's bigger than Pack and coming from TTU, you know he can play defense and don't need to take a bunch of shots.

Any player from Texas Tech would foul out in less than 10 mins if you put a Duke jersey on them....

What about Courtney Ramey from Texas? He a grad transfer I’d assume but sounds like a perfect bench contributor.
Don't know much about him other than watching a couple games here and there. Would he be willing to come off the bench? If so, I'd take him! Rather have Shannon instead though

Last edited:
Funny know much about him other than watching a couple games here and there. Would he be willing to come off the bench? If so, I'd take him! Rather have Shannon instead though
Agree I was just asking . Seems like the perfect rotation player.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I can't imagine that Ramey would go anywhere for fewer than 25 minutes per game. He's really good. A top 40 player out of high school with four successful college seasons. Has his head on straight. Any program would be lucky to have him.

I seem to remember that he had interest in Duke out of high school but didn't receive an offer

More people know who Theo is than 95 percent of transfers. That is what I would sell. And Theo played in the final four while Goldwire and Coleman and Brakefield played XBox.

More people know who Theo is than 95 percent of transfers. That is what I would sell. And Theo played in the final four while Goldwire and Coleman and Brakefield played XBox.
Yes but the back fire is that Goldwire started and so did Coleman and if you watched sports center you know who both are . Sometimes it’s not so much about the big lights as it is about just knowing you can play at a higher level which IMO both showed. Brakesfield will forever baffle me .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT