ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

I expect nothing from Catchings. He averaged 9 points, 4 rebounds. and less than one assist per game. He doesn't block any shots. He shot 56% from the foul line. FT% is my favorite way to judge shooting ability. It's the same shot for everyone.

I've never seen him play. I hope that he has a wonderful experience at Duke. The competition at Harvard is weak.
Drives me crazy that Duke gave a kid of his level a spot on the team. It’s not as bad as bates Jones last year but really, we probably would’ve beat unc and Kansas had Duke gotten a guy like Brady manek. John was good but he didn’t make our team better. And yet despite the coaching change it’s happened again .

We got Theo John, who I liked, but unc got a better player in Dawson Garcia ( even though it didn’t work out)

Duke gets Ryan young while unc gets Pete nance better player from the same school. So dumb I don’t understand it.

Drives me crazy that Duke gave a kid of his level a spot on the team. It’s not as bad as bates Jones last year but really, we probably would’ve beat unc and Kansas had Duke gotten a guy like Brady manek. John was good but he didn’t make our team better. And yet despite the coaching change it’s happened again .

We got Theo John, who I liked, but unc got a better player in Dawson Garcia ( even though it didn’t work out)

Duke gets Ryan young while unc gets Pete nance better player from the same school. So dumb I don’t understand it.
Kinda funny how UNC gets the better of both players from the same school. But then again. Given Dukes extreme recruitment of OAD. It’s going to be hard to pull in top tier transfers unless Duke has no one on their roster for them to compete with.

Grandison was important player for us to land. Definitely not top tier, but he saw playing time available even after Proctor reclassified. I think we likely would have pushed for, and landed, one of the top guard transfers if the staff wasn't already planning on Proctor reclassing if Keels stayed in the draft.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Why would a top level player come to a team that has top 10 talent at 3 positions, a top tier point guard, and a shooting guard reclass who was highly ranked in his class? Unx had a spot open 2 years in a row and caught lightning in a bottle with Manek, HIs improvement from beginning of the season to the end couldn't have been predicted.

I think the coaches see Catching's value as being in practice and on the bench.

Why would a top level player come to a team that has top 10 talent at 3 positions, a top tier point guard, and a shooting guard reclass who was highly ranked in his class? Unx had a spot open 2 years in a row and caught lightning in a bottle with Manek, HIs improvement from beginning of the season to the end couldn't have been predicted.

Proctor is a combo guard. I always thought him or Foster would reclass given they both can play the one or two . Most should have seen it coming after the MCCain commitment with having possibly Blake’s and Schutt on the team as a junior and sophomore.

I can't believe that I watched a Summer League game. Kenneth Lofton would have been the ultimate transfer. Would easily be a 20 points, 10 rebounds man at Duke, Kansas, anywhere. Josh Giddey is sensational. Tremendous poise. I think that he had an easy triple double tonight

Which 3 positions? We definitely have talent, but a lot of raw talent in my view. No Paolo's in this group. I expect a very steep learning curve for Lively, with lots of growing pains. Obviously the hope is that his defense is there from the jump. I have high hopes for Whitehead, but he's really the only one I feel is almost a certain high level player for us next year (out of the freshmen).

Which 3 positions? We definitely have talent, but a lot of raw talent in my view. No Paolo's in this group. I expect a very steep learning curve for Lively, with lots of growing pains. Obviously the hope is that his defense is there from the jump. I have high hopes for Whitehead, but he's really the only one I feel is almost a certain high level player for us next year (out of the freshmen).
I agree completely. I was certain that Duke, Kentucky or Kansas would be able to sign Kenneth Lofton Jr. He would be the equivalent of adding Laettner or Elton Brand. The ball just finds his hands. He would easily score 20 per game with at least 10 rebounds for any college team

Reactions: christophero

Lol you think a guy like tyrese hunter is scared of a guy like proctor? Why would the staff push a reclass instead of going for a grown man talented guard.

gotta take the Duke glasses off. Uk got two very talented transfers to come in in Grady and Oscar. The problem is Duke thinks it needs to play it’s stars 35-40 min a game when they can mix it up with 20-25 min a game.
We’re just accustomed to freshies having untouchable minutes

manek was an excellent shooter. That’s something this team SORELY needed. But as Sumner said. We spent recruiting efforts for bates Jones. I still can’t believe coach k didn’t do everything to improve the team in the transfer portal and go out with #6

It was nice to see Keels come off the bench late in the year when he was in that shooting slump. It almost seemed uncharacteristic, as these one and done types seem to have unlimited leashes. And transfers see this. I'd like to see Grandison start over Proctor, as I like experience and I think this will help us get transfers in the post coach K era. Proctor is also coming to campus late (August maybe?) so he will probably be a bit behind first semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It was nice to see Keels come off the bench late in the year when he was in that shooting slump. It almost seemed uncharacteristic, as these one and done types seem to have unlimited leashes. And transfers see this. I'd like to see Grandison start over Proctor, as I like experience and I think this will help us get transfers in the post coach K era. Proctor is also coming to campus late (August maybe?) so he will probably be a bit behind first semester.
I’m with you. Grandison is bigger and stronger and will be able to muck it up more, at least earlier in the season.

Where you hearing late august ? Haven’t seen or heard anything about that . No one will know how this team will play or what to look for until the season starts or what even to expect from Scheyer . Everyone is still living off the K era . His time has passed . Scheyer will have a lot of things to work on to prove not only to transfers but non-OAD players as well. I’m not looking at what a fifth year senior will do I’m looking at what the players will do that will be left over after the OAD all leave .
everyone is looking forward to Grandison coming but he’s only at Duke for a year. I want to see what Blake’s and Schutt will do those are the ones that will be left over to build the next season on.

Reactions: Mac9192
August not late August. He is reportedly playing for the Australian FIBA team the next few weeks, as per DBR. My point was that the rest of the team is there and as he is a reclass this may put him further behind.

Last edited:
August not late August. He is reportedly playing for the Australian FIBA team the next few weeks, as per DBR. My point was that the rest of the team is there and as he is a reclass this may put him further behind.
Makes sense, but I think playing for a national team is better preparation than playing pickup in Durham. Plus Durham in July is a sauna

I see your point too, sir. I wish college teams would run more plays. I suspect that the national team playbook is thicker than 99% of college teams. Plus, he's playing with grown men such as Thon Maker.

Lol you think a guy like tyrese hunter is scared of a guy like proctor? Why would the staff push a reclass instead of going for a grown man talented guard.

gotta take the Duke glasses off. Uk got two very talented transfers to come in in Grady and Oscar. The problem is Duke thinks it needs to play it’s stars 35-40 min a game when they can mix it up with 20-25 min a game.
We’re just accustomed to freshies having untouchable minutes

manek was an excellent shooter. That’s something this team SORELY needed. But as Sumner said. We spent recruiting efforts for bates Jones. I still can’t believe coach k didn’t do everything to improve the team in the transfer portal and go out with #6
Show me one guy who played 35+ this year.

I watched Manek a lot at Oklahoma. I never saw him display the tenacity he did at UNC when he was at Oklahoma

Wendell Moore averaged 34 mpg, and played at least 35 in every big game. Moore was in great shape so no problem

Banchero averaged 33. He was the #1 pick so it makes sense. There were a few times that he looked tired and I would have taken him out for a minute.

I think that Bates Jones and Theo John were really good. I would have played Jones more. He was very steady

Love how you ignore the actual points and go for the minor part i over exaggerated on. You know it’s true. There isn’t a need to get scared that these poor kids will spurn Duke if they play a tad bit less

Chet holmgren averaged 26 mpg at Gonzaga. Crazy how he wasn’t scared to play with a great big man in timme and among other talent.
Also 3/5 blue devils played about 35 minutes vs unc. As ge stated below, moore averaged 34 so it’s not like I’m just throwing our lack of bench help out their all random
I watched Manek a lot at Oklahoma. I never saw him display the tenacity he did at UNC when he was at Oklahoma

Wendell Moore averaged 34 mpg, and played at least 35 in every big game. Moore was in great shape so no problem

Banchero averaged 33. He was the #1 pick so it makes sense. There were a few times that he looked tired and I would have taken him out for a minute.

I think that Bates Jones and Theo John were really good. I would have played Jones more. He was very steady
Steady at being terrible. Jones didn’t belong at Duke. He barely belonged at Davidson. He got abused during the tech game the chance that he got. I’m sure he’s an awesome young man but This level wasn’t his to play in

I thought John could’ve been a bit better but he was a fouling machine. He definitely helped last year but had his ceiling

Reactions: Player2020
August not late August. He is reportedly playing for the Australian FIBA team the next few weeks, as per DBR. My point was that the rest of the team is there and as he is a reclass this may put him further
Actual practice doesn’t start until October. If he arrives in late August to September he has time for the player allowed work outs. I was in Durham all last week and the humidity is what kills you down there lol. But being from Australia I think he will only have to adjust to the humidity.

Love how you ignore the actual points and go for the minor part i over exaggerated on. You know it’s true. There isn’t a need to get scared that these poor kids will spurn Duke if they play a tad bit less

Chet holmgren averaged 26 mpg at Gonzaga. Crazy how he wasn’t scared to play with a great big man in timme and among other talent.
Also 3/5 blue devils played about 35 minutes vs unc. As ge stated below, moore averaged 34 so it’s not like I’m just throwing our lack of bench help out their all random

Steady at being terrible. Jones didn’t belong at Duke. He barely belonged at Davidson. He got abused during the tech game the chance that he got. I’m sure he’s an awesome young man but This level wasn’t his to play in

I thought John could’ve been a bit better but he was a fouling machine. He definitely helped last year but had his ceiling
You made a couple non correlated assumptions on why two guys went to UK and how that somehow is a knock on why transfers don’t pick Duke. Your point was about minutes and how they feel like they will never play here because we have some sort of complex that suggests we have to play our guys 35+ mpg. So, it’s easy to play blanket statement bingo when you don’t actually have to prove your assumptions. My point was simply, we didn’t play a single guy 35+ last year. Hell you could argue our best defender, Mark, didn’t get enough time! He barely sniffed 25mpg. We played 8 deep every night, sometimes 9. The mpg argument is pretty weak all things considered. Jon isn’t going to sit a guy who’s flat out better than another kid. Jon wants to win and win now.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Grandison and Young are my new favorite players other than Roach. Gotta have seniors. Theo really helped us last year but he seemed to be somewhat limited, was prob. dealing with nagging injuries. 20 minutes seemed to be his max most games. I know these transfers are one and done too but I like that they are graduates (it is college basketball) and provide a nice balance to our young guys. I like young talent too, just not a whole team of them. I hope Young is able to stay on the court against quicker teams. I would bet Catchings gets on the court 4-5 minutes a game, at least early on. He will have a Bates type role, if needed or if other guys get hurt. I'd like to think he can be more, but that may be wishful thinking. He just needs to be steady and strong. I like that Jon added 3 transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
The transfer portal is not complicated. If you have a severe need, you go after a guy hard. Duke so far, hasn’t needed a stud out of the portal. They have been getting some of the top freshmen. And there’s only so many minutes to go around.

Very hard to get both. Let’s give Jon a chance. Recruiting wise, he has done a phenomenal job. Now, let’s all sit back and see what he does as the head coach.

The transfer portal is not complicated. If you have a severe need, you go after a guy hard. Duke so far, hasn’t needed a stud out of the portal. They have been getting some of the top freshmen. And there’s only so many minutes to go around.

Very hard to get both. Let’s give Jon a chance. Recruiting wise, he has done a phenomenal job. Now, let’s all sit back and see what he does as the head coach.
Good post Mac .

I hope Young is able to stay on the court against quicker teams.

I think this is where Mitchell is going to be hugely valuable. Yes, he's a freshman, but I think he is going to be a junkyard dog type player. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much he can help this team. I think with the insane size we will be putting out there on a regular basis, there will definitely be teams that try to go small and speed things up. The hope is that Mitchell can neutralize that and make this team multidimensional.

I think this is where Mitchell is going to be hugely valuable. Yes, he's a freshman, but I think he is going to be a junkyard dog type player. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much he can help this team. I think with the insane size we will be putting out there on a regular basis, there will definitely be teams that try to go small and speed things up. The hope is that Mitchell can neutralize that and make this team multidimensional.
Really agree here with regards to Mitchell. I’m very hopeful about his ability and what he can contribute. Like Brakefield before him, (different players), he can have a big impact in time. Think it will take some growing pains for him to get adjusted but unlike Brake, he will have the time to adjust. Hope he stays the course.

Grandison and Young are my new favorite players other than Roach. Gotta have seniors. Theo really helped us last year but he seemed to be somewhat limited, was prob. dealing with nagging injuries. 20 minutes seemed to be his max most games. I know these transfers are one and done too but I like that they are graduates (it is college basketball) and provide a nice balance to our young guys. I like young talent too, just not a whole team of them. I hope Young is able to stay on the court against quicker teams. I would bet Catchings gets on the court 4-5 minutes a game, at least early on. He will have a Bates type role, if needed or if other guys get hurt. I'd like to think he can be more, but that may be wishful thinking. He just needs to be steady and strong. I like that Jon added 3 transfers.
I am partial to veterans as well Chris. I must admit to following the few 4 year Duke guys in the pros closer than the OAD's. For instance I tried to always check stat lines of Shane (when he was playing), and now Grayson.

The kiddie corps needed some veteran guidance. I think nabbing Grandison was huge. This will be his 6th year, and I am actually more partial to him than a 2nd year Keels. Grandison gives us another perimeter shooter.

I believe Ryan Young may be better than people think and gives me the impression of a guy who doesn't mind mixing it up(of course Roger Ayers and Jamie Lucky will have two fouls on him before he even steps on the floor).Take what we can get from Catchings! BTW, "good post." OFC

Agreed having vets like Young and Roach and Grandison make me feel a lot better about the upcoming season. We are younger than we were last year but it is close. I know on paper it's probably the same but we only have one guy who has played for Duke, 2 if you count Blakes. Blakes is kind of like a redshirt freshman considering his minutes. Roach, Young and G have a ton of minutes played.

Agree here. Mitchell will be a really solid piece and should log starter type of minuets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT